Code of Conduct

Default Scents with the most fascinating transitions?

I'm starting to wonder if Gucci Pour Homme (AKA, GphI, 2003) is the ultimate men's scent. It starts off very woody with a rich incense. Very manly. After the 2 hour mark, the incense fades, eventually revealing a subtle but very long lasting sandalwood/vanilla scent that is perfect for a date. The change from where the scent begins to where it ends, at least on me, is more dramatic than anything else I've experienced.

It starts as a scent for me and transitions into a scent for her (that I enjoy too). That's awesome.

What scent makes the biggest transition on your skin?
    Where does it start? Where does it go?
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 25th July 2012 at 06:33 AM.

Default Re: Scents with the most fascinating transitions?

Knize Ten and Nejma Aoud One

Bvlgari Black•

Not definitive, but one that comes to mind is Chinatown.

It starts as a too-sweet peach chypre, and at some point, hours later, stealthily becomes austere Japanese temple incense.

On me, anyway.

Another vote for Knize Ten.

Plus, since I am inti leathery powerhouses, Versace l'Homme, Esencia Loewe or Trusradi Uomo have a surprisingly ample, long term development on my skin, exuding the beauty of apparently unilateral, but increasingly complex strong 80s notes.

Serge Lutens La Myrrhe - bright aldehydes to deep medicinal myrrh.

Also my all-time favorite, Tubereuse Criminelle, does quite the turn around.

Givenchy Gentleman is the most sneaky transition, as the sweet citrus top belies quite the patchouli skank-monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Givenchy Gentleman is the most sneaky transition, as the sweet citrus top belies quite the patchouli skank-monster.
    AHAHAAHAAHAAA!!! ...ahem. Do you mean it ends up smelling skanky, or that it attracts skanks?

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    AHAHAAHAAHAAA!!! ...ahem. Do you mean it ends up smelling skanky, or that it attracts skanks?
    Perhaps both? It more or less summarizes a week without bathing, masked heavily with patchouli. My bottle has a happy home with someone else.

Barolo is quite interesting. It begins with a wine-like accord, but then woodiness seems to be taking over. However, it never does, and instead a Dior Homme type accord becomes prominent, though the herbal/wine/tea-like quality and woodiness are still detectable. The dynamism that results is really good, for those who want complexity.

34 Boulevard Saint Germain and Traversee du Bosphore.

Its like a new perfume every 1 hour.

for swap/sale:

I'll second both Knize Ten and Tubereuse Criminelle as two of the most evolving fragrances around. I'll add Ormonde Woman that starts with an extremely green, kind of outdoorsy opening that's typical of many chypres to then evolve into an outstanding amber-driven drydown with strong woody notes. Just gorgeous..

Geranium Pour Monsieur is another good example. Probably less stunning than the above fragrances yet incredibly compelling in its transition from the minty-geranium start to the clean musky base. Almost two fragrances in one.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

easy question for me. Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque.

others I'll mention: Parfums d'Empire Ambre Russe, some of the Le Labos, several of the Serge Lutens.

Tom Ford Extreme for me with its symphony of notes. It takes you on quite a ride with all the different notes you pick up before getting to the lovely drydown.

Another for Traversee du Bosphore

I think M Serge is a master in this field whether i like the results or not. They certainly tell a tale each time in most cases I have tried. Maybe the L'eau was more linear.

Knize Ten, Memoir Man, Musc Ravaguer and Absolue pour le soir.
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 25th July 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Tom Ford Extreme for me with its symphony of notes. It takes you on quite a ride with all the different notes you pick up before getting to the lovely drydown.
    Was going to be my suggestion too.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

oud oil

Guerlain's Vetiver changes quite dramatically on my skin, I actually don't like it at all during the first hour but after that it becomes lovely

How about M7 and Eav des Bavx? Those two do a lovely turnaround

Le Labo Oud 27 changes dramatically - begins inky and stinky, turns into sublime cedar. Some people seem not to be able to wait; it does take a good 6 hours, I find.

Tauer Eau d'Épice - from orange blossom bathroom product to spicy, worn leather.

And yes, L'Artisan Parfumeur Traversée du Bosphore, undergoes a big change too, but in the wrong direction: from suede to cloying Turkish delight.

To all the people who say Knize Ten, I'm interested to hear your answer to the question- where does it start for you? Where does it end up?

Nasomatto Nuda starts out rich, round, clear jasmine and then turns to leather and sandalwood. That one really surprised me.

Cuir Venenum by Parfumerie Generale - starts as a wooden crate full of concord grapes and becomes a salty leather with a caraway/rye aspect. All that said, I would not characterize it as a gourmand or 'foody'.

Not a comfortable fragrance, but a fascinating one.

Eau des Baux changes? I didn't experience that at all. I'll have to try it again the next time cool weather comes around.

Lair du desert marocain.

Each sniff give you a different smell.

Tubereuse Criminale for sure. I don't think I'd ever wear it, but when I sampled it, it made me laugh at all of the strange unexpected places it went. I love Piper Nigrum's transitions from peppermint and fennel to powdery amber. Now, that one I do wear.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Cuir Venenum by Parfumerie Generale - starts as a wooden crate full of concord grapes and becomes a salty leather with a caraway/rye aspect. All that said, I would not characterize it as a gourmand or 'foody'.

Not a comfortable fragrance, but a fascinating one.
    I wish I had the patience What I smell is beer, beer, nothing else on earth

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, Esenzia Loewe is a strong contender. But for me the winner is Kurkdjian's APOM Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I wish I had the patience What I smell is beer, beer, nothing else on earth
    Yes, there is a bit of a 'stale beer' accord in the middle of that transition. That's why I call it "not comfortable".

I like how Noir de Noir develops from a dirty rose into a semi-sweet chocolate vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    I like how Noir de Noir develops from a dirty rose into a semi-sweet chocolate vanilla.
    Oh, wow. I'm going to have to look into that. Sounds amazing!

Versace's The Dreamer. For some reason, I can't stand the opening, but it fades into a very nice, subtle-sweet vanilla. Everyone else loves it though.

Bois des Iles.
    From aldehyde heaven into golden woods.