Code of Conduct

Default Dior Leather Oud

Having just finished my second sample of Dior Leather Oud, I decided to make it my next purchase. There are enough reviews floating around that can be read so I will spare you mine. In my opinion it is a very well made scent definitely not for the timid. Not an easy wear..not a safe wear. That is part of the charm for me. The deviation as to where I usually go. Then I said to myself...self, how can you purchase Leather Oud without trying Tuscan Leather. That is part of the problem...and I do not know who said it but I will plagiarize the term...fume heads or fume addicts have...what if I like this one better....the price for Tom Ford is certainly high. Yet I feel deprived if I do not sample it. It is not easy I tell you!!!!

Default Re: Dior Leather Oud

I don't find them alike at all really.... why would it be an either/or situation?
    Last edited by Hilaire; 25th July 2012 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilaire View Post
    I don't find them alike at all really.... why would it be an either or or situation?
    This. They're nothing alike to me, either. And I really like Leather Oud, but Tuscan Leather, not so much.

Basenotes Plus

The reality is, there is always be another fragrance you will like around the corner. Bottom line, if you like Leather Oud, then why worry if you are missing out on Tuscan Leather. That could be your next purchase down the line.

Leather Oud is really good and the oud in this smells like smoky burning wood and the leather is more of a light supple saddle leather. Mixed together with the honey and civet gives you a smoky leathery dark sweet musky scent.

So sample Tuscan leather and let your nose be the judge which one you prefer to spend the cash on.

I would recommend you to try Oud Ispahan from Dior too. Will save you some future regrets that you made the right decision.

Leather Oud is oud and leather together at last (to be read in capital letters). TL is leather....and raspberries. Don't waste your time, there's nothing like the Dior.
    Last edited by alfarom; 25th July 2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Barry confusion

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Tuscan smells more like Raspberry to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Oh Yes, raspberry. Absolutely. I always get confused with all the "berry" types. In italian they have very different names. Strawberry (Fragola), Raspberry (Lampone) but it gets very tricky in english...Thanks Kron.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    And cocaine...

A friend told me that Oud 27 by Le labo means on the Dior Leather Oud side, its true?

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Oh Yes, raspberry. Absolutely. I always get confused with all the "berry" types. In italian they have very different names. Strawberry (Fragola), Raspberry (Lampone) but it gets very tricky in english...Thanks Kron.
    I always confuse them too
    Raspberry(framboesa), strawberry (morango), blueberry (mirtila), cherry (cereja)

I'm days away from purchasing this...but I'm just going to go ahead and blind buy it...I just have a feeling I'll love it.

As for Tuscan Leather...I do enjoy it, but I get VERY little leather out of it, it really is more of a smokey raspberry. I always get confused when people recommend it as THE leather scent to own...

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    As for Tuscan Leather...I do enjoy it, but I get VERY little leather out of it, it really is more of a smokey raspberry. I always get confused when people recommend it as THE leather scent to own...
    Huh, that's wild. To me this stuff smells strongly of quality leather. I get no smokey and maybe just the slightest hint of Lampone...or Raspberry, or whatever the kids are calling it.

Leather Oud is a bold choice though, that stuff is funky; like twice as funky as James Brown's socks.

That said, I own both and prefer the Tuscan Leather.

Part of this was written tongue in cheek.....like the search for the Holy Grail. I did notice the raspberry note in Tuscan Leather which did not thrill me but I am curious. I sprung for a sample. There is no doubt in my mind after spending time With Dior Leather Oud that it is the one for me.

I enjoy Leather Oud. Unfortunately I get 80% leather and perhaps 20% aoud on my skin. If it was more balanced towards aoud it would be FBW for me. Oh, well ;'(

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please try Cuir Ottoman before you pull the trigger. Who would have thought a foot rest leather could be this good ;')

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/section/1/item/35701/brand/Parfum_d’Empire/Cuir%5FOttoman.html

Leather Oud and Tuscan Leather are TOTALLY different
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

I own and enjoy both.

But they are very different.

Its like saying I love chicken meat, therefore I must try turtle meat before buying a chicken farm.

for swap/sale:

Leather Oud is amazing and works really well for me. I always get complements when I wear it at night,
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    Leather Oud and Tuscan Leather are TOTALLY different
    This ^^^^^^.

If you are a BIG fan of Leather Oud and have the opportunity, or can be bothered tracking it down . . . check out Songe d'un Bois d'Eté in the new Deserts d'Orient trio from Guerlain.

It feels to me like Thierry Wasser has tucked the accord from Leather Oud into and underneath a beautiful spicy aromatic opening and a crisp wood (leaning towards a dry cedar) that fills the mid section.

One for the anoraks: Wasser and Demachy share the LVMH lab and, presumably, share access to ingredients that may go into Dior or Guerlain work. Hell, they may even TALK to each other. I wonder if they shared thoughts about the 'burnt Oud chips' molecules at some point

Leather Oud is a wonderful scent.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    If you are a BIG fan of Leather Oud and have the opportunity, or can be bothered tracking it down . . . check out Songe d'un Bois d'Eté in the new Deserts d'Orient trio from Guerlain.

It feels to me like Thierry Wasser has tucked the accord from Leather Oud into and underneath a beautiful spicy aromatic opening and a crisp wood (leaning towards a dry cedar) that fills the mid section.

One for the anoraks: Wasser and Demachy share the LVMH lab and, presumably, share access to ingredients that may go into Dior or Guerlain work. Hell, they may even TALK to each other. I wonder if they shared thoughts about the 'burnt Oud chips' molecules at some point
    Totally agree.

Dior Leather Oud or Oud Isfahan, which is the better buy?? Anyone who owns both, care to chime in.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Dior Leather Oud or Oud Isfahan, which is the better buy?? Anyone who owns both, care to chime in.
    Depends if you prefer Leather or Rose. They are both great fragrances. Other than both being Oud fragrances, they are completely different.

Does Oud Isfahan, have civet in it??? Also how does the longevity of both compare?
    Last edited by vinramani09; 29th July 2012 at 07:54 AM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    If anything, I get a suede accord but definitely not leather. Even the first time I smelled it when I wasn't a hardcore perfumista I assumed they were using the title metaphorically or surreally but not descriptively of the perfume.

Does Oud Isfahan, have civet in it??? Also how does the longevity of both compare?
    Nope. Not a morsel of civet.
    Longevity on both are excellent.

for swap/sale:

I prefer Rose, but I already have New York Oud and Black Aoud, so would owning Oud Isfahan be redundant?

Basenotes Plus

I prefer Rose, but I already have New York Oud and Black Aoud, so would owning Oud Isfahan be redundant?
    Some may disagree, but if you already have Black Oud, then yes, it may be kind of redundant. They are different, but not sure if it is enough to own both.

I recently sampled this, along with two more from the Dior private line for the first time. I was very impressed with all three, and I doubt a purchase is too far away......!

I have just spent the last two days with a nice size sample of Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather. I am not here to debate merits as one of the things I like about this hobby is the intensely personal choice of perfumes and colognes. That is what makes the world go round so to speak. It is a very well made scent. It settled in nicely. For me I enjoyed the dark smokey woody fragrance. It seems the leather is more a background component and I enjoyed the touch of suede. It is elegant and classic in it's own merit, and that is the problem. It is almost safe. The appeal for me in Dior's Leather Oud is the edginess and animalistic quality it evokes. It is not safe, it is not easy...nor should it be. It is different. My wife also happens to love the way it smells. Today I will order a bottle of Dior Leather. Perhaps one day down the road I could see myself also owning Tuscan Leather.

In my next trip to Paris I'll buy a 250ml bottle of Leather Oud.
    I love it.
    One of the kind.

Leather Oud is a great fragrance. Probably my most reached for one lately. On my skin I do not feel that it's a challenging scent.

I wore CD's Leather Oud to a recent Dead Can Dance concert...more than a bit daring, seeing as it was front row seating (neither Lisa Gerrard nor Brendan Perry complained). The fragrance suited the concert very well; rich, dark, sensual, almost guttural, but surprisingly beautiful and harmonious.

Quote Originally Posted by impdaddee View Post
    The fragrance suited the concert very well; rich, dark, sensual, almost guttural, but surprisingly beautiful and harmonious.
    This is a wonderful description of Leather Oud. Deep in the "almost guttural" is that dangerous animalic aspect that still leaves me a bit afraid of this fragrance, even as I'm glad to have it in the back of my collection.

I find them VERY different (comparing with Black Aoud).
    Ispahan is a very macerated rosey with burnt oud.
    Black Aoud is a synthetic resin oud with roses, very dry.