Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Coco Noir de Chanel

I am disappointed

I went to my local Macy's and they did not even have a tester.

I should have gone to Nordstrom.

The release is August 14 for the Chanel website, but the in-store (I am assuming department store) release is August 17.

I was going to spray Coco Madmoiselle on top of Coco, but did not want to ruin Coco. I settled by spraying the EDP of both on different arms. Although I am not crazy about Coco Madmoiselle, I really like the perfume concentration.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

I still have not been able to spot Coco Noir at my local Macy's - here's to hoping duty free will have some bottles to try out.
    Arwen - good to see you ! I also love Coco Mademoiselle extrait - it's very good.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The New York Perfumista View Post
    I tested this the other day at Lord and Taylor. It smells like Coco Mademoiselle with a hit of incense. Chanel Noir is a dark and fruity. On the skin, I get a lot of incense, spice and booze. It reminds me a lot of Tom Ford Black Orchid- A LOT. These two scents could have been separated at birth. Both scents are mysterious, sexy, and have that dark fruit liqueur vibe.
    Longevity was great. Coco Noir lasted about 6-7 hours on the skin. It hovers just above the skin offering moderate sillage and the longer this fragrance lasts on the skin, the better it gets. Definitely worth a sniff even if you are not a fan of Coco Mademoiselle.
    And, even though this is marketed towards women I could totally see a man wearing this scent. That would actually be pretty hot.
    http://www.thenewyorkperfumista.com/...de-parfum.html
    Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    I tried this recently, on paper and on my skin; there's very little "noir" in the juice itself. The top was citrusy and sweet....pleasant enough. I was completely asnomic to the heart notes and that was surprising, as the only notes I know I asnomic to are a few musks. A couple of hours later, the base was lovely but kept very close to the skin.

I preordered a small bottle but am reconsidering after the disappearing act of the heart notes.

Coco Noir was neither Coco, nor Noir. Perhaps "Mademoiselle Blanc" would be a better name and in a white milk glass bottle.
    Wild! Total disconnect!

Well, I know Black Orchid - and to my nose it's Tom Ford Extreme Pour Femme. I will have no problem telling the difference between Black Orchid and Mademoiselle Blanc, that's for sure. So THIS is going to be interesting.

There may be a woody amber at fault here. They're big molecules like musks - so some people may be anosmic to it - particularly if it's a receptor size-based anosmia. I'm semi-anosmic to straight-up amber, but I get Black Orchid in a big way, so I'm still counting on being able to smell this.

Basenotes Institution

A link to a little bit of Coco Noir . This Chanel site is where I go if I want to drool over the keyboard.
    http://www.lachanelphile.com/2012/08...nel-coco-noir/
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

Red, yes, it is, isn't it?

I had read the posts upthread but my impressions were what I wrote. It's important to me to try fragrances on my skin and get my impressions of them over a period of time. That's what I do when I write a review. This wasn't a full on review, just first impressions. I don't wear Coco Mademoiselle but I wear & adore Coco in edt, parfum and body cream. Perhaps part of the disconnect was that it wasn't Coco richer, deeper, more "noir"-ish. Now if the spelled "Noir" as "Noor", that I could believe.

If the name hadn't read "Coco ...." I never would have associated it with the scent at all. The scent is much more closely related to Coco Mademoiselle.

Just my opinion of how it smelled on me. I do think it's going to be popular, especially for those who love Coco Mademoiselle.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Red, yes, it is, isn't it?

I had read the posts upthread but my impressions were what I wrote. It's important to me to try fragrances on my skin and get my impressions of them over a period of time. That's what I do when I write a review. This wasn't a full on review, just first impressions. I don't wear Coco Mademoiselle but I wear & adore Coco in edt, parfum and body cream. Perhaps part of the disconnect was that it wasn't Coco richer, deeper, more "noir"-ish. Now if the spelled "Noir" as "Noor", that I could believe.

If the name hadn't read "Coco ...." I never would have associated it with the scent at all. The scent is much more closely related to Coco Mademoiselle.

Just my opinion of how it smelled on me. I do think it's going to be popular, especially for those who love Coco Mademoiselle.
    I'm guessing that your analysis has the answer. Perhaps to those who love Coco Mademoiselle, and see it from that angle, it's a bit "noir", but next to Coco, it's a bit of a head-scratcher.

I'm still looking forward to sniffing it. Only about 8 days to go!

I MUST try this! Thank you all for the input and links.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Since we are still deep in the cornsticks, please grab an extra sample for me if/when you have a chance? Are they going to do anything special for the launch/presentation? Might be worth checking into it, I thought?

Mademoiselle Noir? Too funny.

The reason noone has this out to try is because all CHANEL employees or anyone affiliated w CHANEL worldwide has been instructed not to show the bottle, allow anyone to test, or even reveal the name officially until August 17th

Missraven, welcome.. Mmm, well the cat is definitely out of the bag, that's for sure. Plus, I called a department store, asked for the Chanel counter and they did have samples but ran out.
    Last edited by kalli; 10th August 2012 at 06:04 AM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by missraven View Post
    The reason noone has this out to try is because all CHANEL employees or anyone affiliated w CHANEL worldwide has been instructed not to show the bottle, allow anyone to test, or even reveal the name officially until August 17th
    I did get a sample (the only one they had) at an official Chanel instore shop here in a warehouse though last week. I didn't need to beg even, hehe!

Well, what are your thoughts on it? Grapefruity? Or?.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Basenotes Plus

Was in Saks tonight, and they had their tester bottle proudly sitting on the counter. Please understand, I am not great with reviews or notes. First, the bottle is definitely something to behold, very striking. I can see where people would buy it just for the beauty of it.

In regards to the fragrance itself, understand, being a man, cannot tell you the difference in any of the Coco's, so nothing to compare it to. The opening did have a bit if citrusy grapefruit, but seemed very short lived. I found that it was a very pleasant scent, nothing that would strike me as WOW! Just extremely pleasant, something I know my GF would really like, and I can tell you she is no fan of Coco. I can see where this fragrance will cross many age groups.

I just hit my wrist with one spray, and was still able to smell, although rather lite, 6 hours later. I didn't get much in the way of a Noir, that I would have expected out of a frangrace with Noir in the name. All in all, it's definitely a frangrace I would like my better half to wear, and will be buying for her.

I have a feeling this is going to be a wildly successful perfume for the House of Chanel, that will probably open age groups that normally may not look at one of the Coco's.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    ...I have a feeling this is going to be a wildly successful perfume for the House of Chanel...
    I tend to agree. Coco Mademoiselle is already a huge seller for them. The Noir name, the new bottle, a deeper Oriental base, is bound to attract lots of attention from those who already like the other Cocos, especially Mademoiselle.

The name is unfortunate, since the fragrance is apparently much closer to Mademoiselle than to Coco. But Coco Noir does sound more catchy than the alternative.

I'll probably give a sniff when it comes out, but I'm not a fan of Mademoiselle. Coco, yes indeed, but I find Mademoiselle borderline annoying, and it doesn't sound like the changes that make it Noir will be enough to make it sufficiently different from Mademoiselle to get me to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Well, what are your thoughts on it? Grapefruity? Or?.
    I'm a raving fan of the original Coco from the day it was released and was expecting a dark version of that. And it's certainly not. It's more Mademoiselle Noir then Coco Noir but very well done though.
    I prefer Noir over Coco Mademoiselle. It seems to be created perfectly for the newer generations.
    A fruity flowery opening with a deep warm base.

Received a carded sample from a local dept store. Be very careful with this one - the top notes are the best (seductive) part and you may be tempted to make a purchase - one you will later regret - based on the first 5 minutes. Okay - you are fairly warned!

I wore the original Coco for years (not the current reformulated - it used to be so lush, how I miss that!) and remember when "coco mlle" was released and what a huge disappointment that was for me upon first sniff at the Indianapolis Nordstrom store (b/c Coco was in the name, I thought it would smell something like Coco and I'd like it - see how naive???). Coco Noire is absolutely a pass for me.

Our stores should get Coco Noir, hopefully, next week! At least, today I was told that the SAs training will start next Tuesday, and then the fragrance will be released for sale. I can't wait, even if this is going to be a disappointment.

So, I got my Coco "Noir" sample,.... this is a bit of a disappointment, lol. Is it like Coco? Don't think so. Is it like Mademoiselle? A bit..less sweet than Coco M. Is it like a big grapefruit for a while? Yes. I tested this twice so far. So, here is what I got upon each testing:

Upon the first application..I get a blast of grapefruit, a bit of sourness, then turns sweet, like a powdery sweet, then balmy incense-y sweet. And that's all I really got. It's citrus+ sour+sweet balmy to me..and a little bit of incense. And the juice fades pretty quickly on me. What makes the juice interesting is that bit of smokiness from the olibanum..which also creates that balminess. I do like the balminess/vanilla-y incense to it.

On second application, there is just a huge blast of grapefruit.. lol..then smells sour-y/green..like green like moldy, creamy green or grass??? Then yellow/creamy green. I read someone else got a mildew-ish vibe. Notes list narcissus, I don't know if that's it and it just doesn't blend well with the other notes? It's something that didn't blend well to me. I really don't like whatever makes up that 'off' green smell right after the grapefruit. The juice fades quickly and that mildew/green fades(thank goodness!) into a powdery, then balmy scent. I did read geranium smells green, that might be what I am getting a bit as far as that green note goes. And then I do smell a very light, pretty, soft floral mix...then a nice, but very light, soft, powdery dry down. Noir? I would say no. It seems too fresh for that. I get fresh+sour green+ a bit of floral+ a tiny bit of smoke+balmy. I don't get a lot of patchouli. Jasmine, I do get..but it's not a very heavy jasmine, at least to me. But then again, I like Lust by Lush..so, that might say something, Lol. The top notes really do nothing for me...like nothing..the dry down is better but no, don't think I will be getting this one. The notes were pretty promising in the Coco N..with the exception of that grapefruit..and yep...it's grapefruity.

Will probably give away my sample...maybe I give it to Le Grand Duc.
    Last edited by kalli; 15th August 2012 at 07:23 AM.

I tried this at Dillards.....I like it for sure.....I'm not sure that my Wife will like this but I do.....It seemed on paper like something a Man could wear!!!
    Gary

Blog Entries

Whoa! Not sure what to think of this. Sour creamy grass? UGH. But warm and balmy in the drydown? Hmmm. And a man might wear it, too? I *must* sample this week!!!

Well, that's what I got a little bit..but everyone is different, there is a good chance many will disagree with me, lol! Upon the 3rd application..that weird green is still there, probably the middle notes..or idk. It's right after that grapefruit blast is when I smell an 'off' green/creamy smell. But it goes rather fast..just something I picked up that I didn't like. Then I tested Coco M again..it is similar to Coco M, less sweet though. I edited my previous post cause I just hadn't sniffed Coco M in a little while. Another edit..it's more than likely the geranium/narcissus combo I didn't care for. Bitter green+creamy. I like Narcisse Noir by Caron..but there's no geranium in that one..it may well be the geranium I don't care for and/or maybe blended with the narcissus gives off an unpleasant scent to my nose.
    Last edited by kalli; 15th August 2012 at 07:17 AM.

I spotted the actual real tester bottle in my local Boots the chemist yesterday!!!!! It was behind the counter, but the black bottle was there.
    DONNA

Hi everyone. I tried Coco Noir today. These are just first impressions. A bright Bergamot dominant opening. Fantastic quality Bergamot I suspect. Beautiful. Brightened, sharpened with other citrus but I am not being blown away by grapefruit like other folk are. A wee bit powdery. The fact that Noir is brighter than Coco surprised me. The Coco DNA is there. The opening is the best bit in my opinion.

On skin the mid development and drydown were dissapointing for me. A slight whiff of dryness, slightly incensey (although the confident SA took pains to say that it did not have incense. She said that it has an almondy tonka drydown). OK but Vague is how I would describe the mid development, and I expected so much more, from Chanel, from Coco, and from the lovely opening. A couple of hours in and I still feel that there is a suggestion of frankicense and, odd as it sounds I can't help but feel that it would benefit from a slug more. I seem to expect it. There is a faint almond note too and at this stage it is a bit suggestive of a far far away trail of Coco with the slightest whiff of Hypnotic Poison. It is very close to the skin. Then we have a sweeter vanilla note, yes, vanilla rather than musk I would say.

In fact, this testing has had a wonderful outcome for me because it has made me appreciate Coco all the more, and she truly is magnificent. It has also made me realise that Coco herself has had something of the night about her all along.

This is pleasant. The opening will capture interest, the bottle is fabulous and I can see Chanel having a big success with it. It will be high on the Xmas wishlist I would say. But I would have liked something more from Coco Noir.

I want to try and it's still not here! Wrraau...!

Thanks, Foustie. I'm looking forward to trying this one, too, when I get around to it. Honestly, I have been loving the Chanel reworkings, i.e., No 19 Poudre, No 5 Eau Premiere, Cristalle Eau Verte. Chances are I'll love this new Coco too.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Hi everyone. I tried Coco Noir today.

In fact, this testing has had a wonderful outcome for me because it has made me appreciate Coco all the more, and she truly is magnificent. It has also made me realise that Coco herself has had something of the night about her all along.
    Thank you for a great and detailed review, Foustie! I was able to test Noir and Coco at the same time just a couple of days ago at the local Saks, and this is exactly what I thought. Coco is so much richer and more complex, not to mention it outlasted Noir by hours. However, I admit that so far I have found Coco to have a demanding personality: it requires, at least for me, a particular mood and not my usual, casual surroundings. Noir, on the other hand, is much safer, softer, and more appropriate for the everyday. I can see how they both might have their place in someone's collection. I am still on the fence about Noir, but if nothing else, it made me re-visit Coco.

Quote Originally Posted by catnip_too View Post
    Thank you for a great and detailed review, Foustie! I was able to test Noir and Coco at the same time just a couple of days ago at the local Saks, and this is exactly what I thought. Coco is so much richer and more complex, not to mention it outlasted Noir by hours. However, I admit that so far I have found Coco to have a demanding personality: it requires, at least for me, a particular mood and not my usual, casual surroundings. Noir, on the other hand, is much safer, softer, and more appropriate for the everyday. I can see how they both might have their place in someone's collection. I am still on the fence about Noir, but if nothing else, it made me re-visit Coco.
    I could not agree more.....

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I must agree, I hope this is not another so-so modern type frag.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Thanks, Foustie. I'm looking forward to trying this one, too, when I get around to it. Honestly, I have been loving the Chanel reworkings, i.e., No 19 Poudre, No 5 Eau Premiere, Cristalle Eau Verte. Chances are I'll love this new Coco too.
    What I still don't get is why there's so much hype on Noir, while nobody seems to care for No.19 Poudre.
    That one is out for quite a while now and only has a few reviews so far. And it's gorgeous!!

I really need to try that Poudre I think..I may have tried I don't remember. Ya, I personally have more respect for the original Coco after this. Besides the nice incense/vanilla/balminess to it..just seems like another flanker pretty much. Maybe they just didn't want to come out with anything daring and have it flop. But I mean, if you are a house like Chanel, very established, very admired..why not be daring?? Like Dior was with Poison..that was daring. I know, one can't compare everything with Poison..but I kinda have a tendency to compare with other releases. I think I have more of an appreciation for Dior.

Quote Originally Posted by Cylob View Post
    What I still don't get is why there's so much hype on Noir, while nobody seems to care for No.19 Poudre.
    That one is out for quite a while now and only has a few reviews so far. And it's gorgeous!!
    I agree, 19 Poudre is lovely. I especially love it in the heat and humidity of Florida.

I can appreciate Coco on others. I always thought it was gorgeous, but I was never able to make it mine. It always wore me. Do I have it in me to brave the mall for a spritz of Noir?..... The everydayness of the reworkings are what make them very wearable for me. They are easy...but they still have a cool Chanel elegance, a combination I find very appealing lately.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 17th August 2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: brain fog

tried this yesterday, wanted soooooo much to like it, being a huge fan of Coco and of the black bottle they have chosen. Of course I was disappointed. It is Mademoiselle with a little more depth, for the faithful Coco Mademoiselle wearer that now has entered her 30's. I washed myself thoroughly with Coco Original, gave the SA an angry look and quickly left the Chanel store.

Basenotes Plus

When Poudre came out, I don't recall there was as strong of a "thrill of anticipation" buzz as with Coco Noir in the general perfume community- that's for sure. Which could partially be attributed to CN's black bottle- it does make one salivate- even for me, who generally is never attracted to or purchases based on the bottle.
    Poudre is beautiful. I was heartbroken it turned to carrots and baby powder on my skin. I gave my samples to a coworker on whom it smelled fantastic.

Still no CN locally. I really want to sniff it because of the possibility of the "everyday quality" lillybelle mentions. Would be very useful scent for work.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I smelled this today at Macy's here in DC. I agree with the previous reviews. Nothing oriental or Coco like. Not particularly close to Coco Mademoiselle, but between the two it's certainly much closer to CM. Less sweet and more sedate than CM, and with an uninspring woody ambery drydown. It feels indeed somewhat masculine, and with a different marketing it could have been the winter brother of Bleu.

cacio

I still see this selling fairly well though...I mean, for the bottle alone, ya know?
    Last edited by kalli; 20th August 2012 at 12:37 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I think it will be an impulse buy for Chanelofiles and an attractive purchase for younger clients new to Chanel.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Member

I tried it at Macys yesterday, and I absolutely did not like it. It's not very oriental and not very spicy. It definitely has more in common with Coco M than with Coco. The bottle is gorgeous, but that's really all it has going for it. A major disappointment.

I am a 'Chanel girl' --- and I simply Could.Not.Resist.
    (Yes, I am also a Lemming.....)
    I loved the drama being fueled by Chanel with the secrecy and the offer for free Overnight Shipping -- I mean, how cool is that?!

Anyway.
    Upon my first trials, I found that Coco Noir lasts well on me and, like all the Chanels, is obviously well-made using excellent ingredients. It is somehow "softer" than Coco Mademoiselle which, on my skin, was overpowering and had something in the base that I found to be cloying.
    Coco Noir is everything I liked about Coco Mad, but without the part I found annoying. Does that make sense?
    I do not find Coco Noir to be truly a 'noir' form of Coco in that it doesn't remind me of Coco, the original, one bit. AND to me, Coco Noir is not what I consider to be a 'Noir' scent - dark, warm, mysterious and even a bit heavy. Coco Noir is rich and warm, but has a luminous, sheer feel.
    I was a little disconcerted by the lack of connection I got to Coco, however I have moved beyond that disconnect and have decided to love Coco Noir on its own merits -- and there are many.
    On my skin Coco Noir is not as abrupt as Coco Mad, and not as powerful as Coco (which I ADORE, BTW), but CN is a gorgeous scent on its own. It seems to straddle and area directly between Coco Mademoiselle and Coco by giving a small nod to each of the previous beauties while basking in its own loveliness.
    Last edited by Lorien; 20th August 2012 at 05:56 PM.

I've been testing this over the past few days, and - perhaps thanks to everyone who compared it to CM - didn't expect to like it at all... But I did like it after all. I can smell a ghost of Coco in it, a woody-peachy-floral note. The grapefruity CM note subsided after 10 minutes, so that was a relief. The whole fragrance has been done over in a sheer, safe way; there's a dryer sheet note you get from Chance Eau Tendre. I'd say it's Coco meets Chance Eau Tendre. (There's even a ghost of Patou 1000 in the drydown, not quite sure what... possible a mix of the peach+woods - or unless they actually used osmanthus, which I doubt, the cynic in me cannot imagine the big corps putting anything valuable in their juices anymore).

It's actually quite enjoyable to smell, and if they ever released Coco Noir in an extrait bottle with a black glass stopper, I would be All.Over.It.

Hmmm, never thought of the Chance Tendre..haven't smelled that in forever. Good thing too.

Hmmm, never thought of the Chance Tendre..haven't smelled that in forever. Good thing too.
    It's not exactly the same, but the spirit is there, the sheerness, the pinkness... the dryer sheets note (that rose/lily/laundry musk note). I usually hate that note, but it's not as noticeable here as in, say, Chloe.

Sorry, didn't finish. I'm disappointed to find Miss Dior Le Parfum smells just like the COCO from 1984.

Welcome to BN Le Nez!

Thank You. The only other fragrance that really makes my nose sing is Bond's "Bryant Park". If you ever have the opportunity to try it, do!!

Chanel ad (song in video, "Black Celebration by Depeche Mode")

Such a cool looking ad..makes me even more depressed over the scent.

Let's see, where did I put my Noir de Noir TF sample?.
    Last edited by kalli; 20th August 2012 at 10:10 PM.

Smells very much like Coco Mademoiselle, only stronger, sweeter : although I think Coco M is okay, I really don't like this one.

My husband's comment: it smells like baby's shampoo.

And, it's very expensive - why ?? It smells synthetic !

I couldn't smell Coco Noir at all. I dunno what is wrong with my sniffer, but there was no there, there! Lovely bottle, but I am so disappointed that I can't detect the fragrance!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I just hope it's not the "women's" Bleu de Chanel.
    I tried it and it's Coco Bleu - bland, boring and banal. Which unfortunately seems to be the new normal for the Chanel non-Exclusif line.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I tried it today and I admit that I like it.

A friend who is a Coco Mad fan loves it.

I got a sample and its pleasant and that is about it.
    DONNA

I tried it and it's Coco Bleu - bland, boring and banal. Which unfortunately seems to be the new normal for the Chanel non-Exclusif line.
    I'm afraid I've to agree...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I tend to agree a lot with you on fumes. I tried this yet again and yep..I agree with ya. I noticed the look of the bottle didn't even perk my interest when I saw it in person..maybe cause I knew what was in it, idk.
    Last edited by kalli; 27th August 2012 at 10:29 PM.

Tried it midweek on paper. Meh :/ couldn't be bothered to try on skin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    It feels indeed somewhat masculine, and with a different marketing it could have been the winter brother of Bleu.

cacio
    WHOA. Suddenly this makes sense. For all those scads of women who like Bleu, Chanel introduces what is - under the sheets - a female flanker of it. They even introduce it at roughly the same time of year that Bleu rolled out.

YES!

*Bleu de Chanel model "tebows" in Antaeus' end zone, as Coco wails in agony at the 50 yard line*

- - - Updated - - -

OK - I got to smell this today. I really like it, whatever that means. I was authentically surprised on the first sniff - just a spontaneous positive reaction. I'll post a more detailed analysis later, but....

First of all, I have to say, it's totally unlike Bleu. Just scratch the first part of my speculation above. It has Bleu appeal, but it's not Bleu in character.

Yes - VERY guy-friendly. I can see how it could be a disappointment to people expecting something closer to Coco or Coco Mademoiselle. But for a guy who likes the current Chanel releases, coming to it without too many expectations, it simply is what it is. I kept waiting for it to turn embarrassingly feminine or lose the part I liked - and it never did.

Stylistically, it may have appeal to us "Bleu's brothers", but it's not the same thing at all. Just completely different. As a guy fragrance, I love the novelty of it. In the same way that Eau Première made no. 5 wearable for me, this makes the Coco line wearable for me, too.

My wife likes it, but she's going to have to fight me for the sample.

Tried this at Saks, was disappointed both in the scent and my misinformed SA.

I see where the comparisons to CM are coming from but Coco Noir actually reminds me more of Chance, as chypre said. Definitely a dryer sheet musk accord, which I don't care for. This ruined Coco Noir for me. Did like the incense, beautiful and sheer and exactly what I expected from Chanel. The commonality between Coco Noir and Mademoiselle is the sharp, peppery grapefruit. However, my helpful SA informed me that this is the difference, that Noir has the grapefruit where CM has none. What do you think of that, kalli? Was news to me, I've been wearing CM since its release and I know damn well it has prominent grapefruit. And, IMO it's the better scent, I'll be sticking with CM.

Do think it will be popular, if only because of the bottle, which is stunning. Mr.PL liked it better than I, kept asking if I was sure I didn't want a bottle. But I just couldn't find the love for it. Longevity was amazing, as Chanels usually are for me. I love my Chanels, they will still get their money out of me. Just not this time.
    The nose wants what it wants!

CM has grapefruit..but I like the added orange top note in CM. I don't think Coco N has orange..maybe that's what she meant. As you know, I like CM..but what ruined CN for me was the geranium note I believe...as I mentioned before. That green note. Ugh. Why a bitter, green note in a noir?

Maybe if they took out the geranium and added vetiver, exchanged grapefruit with orange, added more rose(I didn't really smell the rose a lot), took out the musk..maybe I would like it.
    Last edited by kalli; 27th August 2012 at 10:45 PM.

This one is "Angel meets Lolita Lempicka". It smells nothing like Coco Mademoiselle. It does smell a tiny bit like Coco. It is as though a giant, mega perfume devoured Coco, though. I agree with Evangeline...why tinker with Coco, which is as close to a perfect perfume as a human can create.

wow, I'm running to selfridges today right after work to see if this is out yet

do you know if the release date is US or EU ?

I tried it on paper and I like it. My wife said: It's nice but I wouldn't buy a bottle.

CM has grapefruit..but I like the added orange top note in CM. I don't think Coco N has orange..maybe that's what she meant.
    I wish it were so but she was just adamant about that grapefruit only being in Coco Noir, not CM. Figured you'd find that entertaining!

I didn't get much green from CN but I don't doubt you do, kalli. I honestly couldn't pick the florals out under that hot mess of screechy laundry musk. Would love for Chanel to use that incense accord in a non-musky scent, that part did impress me.
    The nose wants what it wants!