Code of Conduct

Default What the heck did I buy? Help on vtg Guerlain, please!

Hi all,

I bought a bottle of Guerlain at an antique store today & am totally confused. The bottle is a frosted curvy bottle with a rosebud stopper and it comes in a purple box. From what info I can find, this bottle was used for Shalimar parfum in the 1950's. The strange thing is that the label says "No 90 Guerlain", which I've read was used on bottles in the late 20's. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Default Re: What the heck did I buy? Help on vtg Guerlain, please!

Well first of all you bought a cool thing, and second of all, I don't know what it is either. But I like it. Can you smell it through the bottle? Is it evaporated at all. Now you have me curious as well...

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Just a tad bit is evaporated, fluid level and color is strikingly similar to pic with box above. I can recognize that it is Shalimar, but a Shalimar that had some intense years...maybe drinking expensive booze, having affairs & hanging out in leather bars. It's absolutely fabulous. I'm embarrassed to say that I actually saw it yesterday and passed it up as "too expensive" then couldn't stop thinking about it all night & had to drive back (~ 50 miles) to get it today. I can't believe how lucky I am!

Those rosebud bottles are so pretty. Lovely find!

Whatever the age, this is a fantastic find. You should have grabbed it right away and did well to go back. It seems the midwest has more than it fair share of vintage finds. Or perhaps midwestern don't put stuff on ebay, where guerlains fetch huge prices.

cacio

queen of the universe

COngatulations! Enjoy!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

This bottle was introduced in the 50'. Shalimar was indeed named No. 90 for export but I'm not sure that this name was only used during the late 20'.

Blog Entries

That is quite a find, congrats & enjoy!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    Well first of all you bought a cool thing, and second of all, I don't know what it is either.
    LOL, love you Fleurine!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I'm starting to think that everyone in MN really, really dislikes perfume (or at least vintage ones). I've been to a few dozen antique stores in the last month or so. When I tell the folks working there I'm looking for perfume, the convo invariably goes-- "you mean bottles?"
    "I'm actually interested in the juice" to which they reply
    "you WEAR it?" (with a screwed up look on there face, like the memory of something utterly disgusting) & always continue with
    "it goes bad, ya know"

so there you have it, come on up to Minnesota, comb through a tangle of antique stores; a few in the cities, a couple in old downtown areas of inner ring suburbs that were once actually towns, and many way way out, beyond the miles of sprawl that infest huge swathes of what was wetlands, prairie, woods or fields of corn just 20 years ago, but now sports every big box store & chain restaurant & 4,000+ square foot mcmansions. Ah, progress. Come into the store with thousands of square feet of space overflowing with things. Hunting for those elusive bottles...could they be with the glassware, the jewelry, where? You see something gorgeous...oh it's salt & pepper shakers. Another glint catches the eye, a bottle, yes it is! But, oh, it's a grip of Avon, the bane of my existence. Then you see it, the gorgeous black lace of a perfect curved Madame Rochas Femme box! OMG, OMG. You go get the lady who thinks you are absolutely insane & have her bring the key. Your heart is pounding in anticipations, as she fumbles with the chain of keys. Then, you pick up the box (with her eagle eyes boring into you, making sure you don't pocket anything) open it, there's a bottle inside, it's beautiful! You pull it out as your heart sinks because it is empty.

and then, and then you see a purple-flocked box with the most beautiful bottle, full of juice. It says No. 90 on it, & the top is stuck. The price is ridiculous & laughably high for who knows what frag that you can't even smell. You leave the store with a few minis & tell BF, I would have snatched it up if they were asking x instead of 2.5x. You get home & do some research, and it starts hitting you what you passed by. Did I really leave a full bottle of Guerlain parfum behind? What the hell is wrong with me? It bothers you all night, so the next day, you have to repeat the 50+ mile drive and go rescue your baby. You bring it home, put it in the fridge & after a few hours, the top comes right out & you sniff & it is DIVINE & after 50 years of the genie being stuck in the bottle, she comes out & thrills you.

Oh, I think I've picked up an addiction.

I found a bottle of A Travers Champs (Guerlain) about two weeks ago and had to do the turn around trip as well. So happy I did. Congrats on a great find; nothing quite matches vintage Shalimar.

Congratulations. Yes, I picked my sealed BNIB Fleur de Feu in one of the antique/second hand stores of the MidWest, for a whopping price of $10.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bookhouseshell View Post
    I'm starting to think that everyone in MN really, really dislikes perfume (or at least vintage ones). I've been to a few dozen antique stores in the last month or so. When I tell the folks working there I'm looking for perfume, the convo invariably goes-- "you mean bottles?"
    "you WEAR it?" (with a screwed up look on there face, like the memory of something utterly disgusting) & always continue with
    "it goes bad, ya know"

so there you have it, come on up to Minnesota, comb through a tangle of antique stores; a few in the cities, a couple in old downtown areas of inner ring suburbs that were once actually towns, and many way way out, beyond the miles of sprawl that infest huge swathes of what was wetlands, prairie, woods or fields of corn just 20 years ago, but now sports every big box store & chain restaurant & 4,000+ square foot mcmansions. Ah, progress. Come into the store with thousands of square feet of space overflowing with things. Hunting for those elusive bottles...could they be with the glassware, the jewelry, where? You see something gorgeous...oh it's salt & pepper shakers. Another glint catches the eye, a bottle, yes it is! But, oh, it's a grip of Avon, the bane of my existence. Then you see it, the gorgeous black lace of a perfect curved Madame Rochas Femme box! OMG, OMG. You go get the lady who thinks you are absolutely insane & have her bring the key. Your heart is pounding in anticipations, as she fumbles with the chain of keys. Then, you pick up the box (with her eagle eyes boring into you, making sure you don't pocket anything) open it, there's a bottle inside, it's beautiful! You pull it out as your heart sinks because it is empty.

and then, and then you see a purple-flocked box with the most beautiful bottle, full of juice. It says No. 90 on it, & the top is stuck. The price is ridiculous & laughably high for who knows what frag that you can't even smell. You leave the store with a few minis & tell BF, I would have snatched it up if they were asking x instead of 2.5x. You get home & do some research, and it starts hitting you what you passed by. Did I really leave a full bottle of Guerlain parfum behind? What the hell is wrong with me? It bothers you all night, so the next day, you have to repeat the 50+ mile drive and go rescue your baby. You bring it home, put it in the fridge & after a few hours, the top comes right out & you sniff & it is DIVINE & after 50 years of the genie being stuck in the bottle, she comes out & thrills you.

Bookhouseshell, l love the way you describe the thrill of finding something so special. l'm genuinely thrilled for you, & so glad this baby was rescued by someone who will cherish it as you will. Nice work!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thanks for all the nice comments & sharing of totally fabulous finds. It's good to know that if I'm an oddball for actually WEARING vintage perfume (as hinted by the majority of antique dealers in the twin city metro region), I'm in very good company! ;0

Basenotes Plus

AH! What a fabulous rescue you have managed, bookhouseshell! What a relief that it was there the next day!! If it hadn't been- OH THE HORROR of a 50 mile drive por nada! The scent genie was with you and now the Shalimar has a perfect home
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

The worst is when you realize... then go back... only to have the item gone

had something similar happen to me in the past - don't wish that upon anyone!

"it goes bad, ya know"

Good for you! The flacon amphore is the most beautiful perfume bottle ever made, in my opinion. You got one that contains the most beautiful perfume ever made. Congratulations and enjoy it!

Can you post photos? I would love to see what it looks like. How tall is it exactly, and what is the sealing part of the stopper made of?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Basenotes Institution

Congrat's! Did it come with the box?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

and then, and then you see a purple-flocked box with the most beautiful bottle, full of juice. It says No. 90 on it, & the top is stuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Congrat's! Did it come with the box?
    Shame on you, Mike! You didn't read the story, did you?

There are many sources online that say that the "no. 90" was used because a rival perfume house released a perfume with the same name, and Guerlain was forced to remove it from the label for exported bottles. The replaced it with the catalog number. I couldn't find any source that says what years this was, but I guess it must be pre-60s.

I have read that they started using plastic-covered stoppers in the 1962. If the stopper is ground glass, it should have a number etched on the bottom of the stopper that matches a number etched on the base of the bottle. I've never seen one of these, but that's what I've read.

bookhouseshell - tell us more! I'm dying to see this thing. The amphores came in larger sizes - if this is one of the big ones you should count yourself very lucky! If you don't mind saying - how much did it cost you?

Basenotes Institution

Well, what I meant was, the purple box (mentioned above) is usually housed inside another outer box. At least that has been my experience...
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

It looks exactly like the thumbnail picture from the first post with the purple box (no outer box came with it). The bottle itself is about 3.5 inches, close to 4.75 with the stopper inserted. The stopper part that gets inserted into the bottle has some sort of plastic on it, so I guess this is newer than I thought. Thanks for the info! I also bought a modern Baghari mini & together it was a bit over $50 with tax. This is kinda embarrassing (that I didn't snap it up immediately), but I hit these stores looking for vintage minis in the $1-3 range, and I can get really, really penny wise pound foolish.

At another store I picked up a vtg Bal a Versailles PdT. Bal a Versailles.jpg

This is even more embarrassing, b/c I went back 3 times looking at it and had to call the dealer to see if she would drop the price. There is an issue with it, though, which is why I had a hard time. The ball on the top of the stopper is totally broken off and I have not been able to open it. Does anyone have any ideas? The only thing I can think of is to try to glue something to what remains of the stopper inside the bottle, but not sure what kind of glue and what to glue to it. Otherwise, I guess I will have to break the bottle, but it's really pretty.

Mike - of course - sorry I doubted you.

bookhouseshell - That's a great price for the Shalimar/no.90. You did well!

Tough one on the Bal. Don't break the bottle just yet, though. That could go badly.

How clean is the break? Is the surface flat? If it's not, you'll have trouble getting a good enough bond with any kind of glue. I would try to glue something to it that is cylindrical and as close to the diameter of the stopper as possible. It's best if the cylinder end is rough - that will help it bond better. Use a high strength epoxy glue - they sell them at any hardware store. Usually it's in 2 tubes that you have to mix together. Let it cure completely and then try the freezer trick. This may fail miserably and the glued part may just pop off immediately.

If so, I would get a carbide hacksaw blade (like for cutting ceramic tile) and carefully saw off the top of the bottle just below the stopper, and then transfer it to an atomizer.

@Rubegon, thanks! Great advice, will try the glue, but the break is not totally flat & it is angled...will try my best & let you know.