Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Thumbs up Coco Noir de Chanel

I'm surpriced nobody has posted anything about this new flanker yet.
    It's to be launched August 2012.

Top: grapefruit, bergamot and orange
    Heart: jasmine, rose, red geranium and Indonesian patchouli
    Base: Brazilian tonka bean, Bourbon vanilla, sandalwood, frankincense and white musk

According to Chanel it's somewhere between Coco and Mademoiselle in smell and style.

I'm beyond excited!

Attached Images Attached Images

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Coco Noir de Chanel

This one sounds like something I would really like, I'm looking forward to trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    This one sounds like something I would really like, I'm looking forward to trying it.
    Tell me about it!
    We're in for an oriental treat!

Basenotes Institution

Duckie - good to see you ! Hugs from your frag hag .
    I waaaaaant this !!

Basenotes Plus

I'm with you shoulder to shoulder, Duckie . This demands further investigation at the earliest opportunity. Certainly their more recent male marketed releases have been mediocre at best and this could reignite some lost interest in the house for me. While of secondary importance, I can't help think that bottle would sit nicely somewhere in our humble abode.

Actually, I listed it! Hehehe. Come on..Coco Noir?? Was totally on that!. Lol!. Sounds fab huh? Except grapefruit and white musk but hopefully Chanel will make it happen!.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...-by-Chanel-%29

Between Coco and Coco Mademoiselle?? Mmmm, ya, that's a must sniff.

Oh and yay for orientals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I'm just relieved it's not an oud.

Hear hear!.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Basenotes Institution

Damned right ! I'm all ouded out.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

The Mademoiselle side sounds a bit scary, actually

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    The Mademoiselle side sounds a bit scary, actually
    yes, very concerning to me as well. I do not like Coco Mademoiselle one bit.
    But i shall keep an open mind.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    yes, very concerning to me as well. I do not like Coco Mademoiselle one bit.
    Mommy, make it go away....

DUCKIE! Not seen you in a while, I would love to think this will be a spectacular scent but I'm afraid that this will be another "so,so" modern release

Blog Entries

Geranium?

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    +1
    Can't wait to try it on!
    Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why "noir" everything...noirnoirnoir nor! Why not more ... ivoire? Or perhaps a touch of color. Coco Dark Brown. Coco Clear.
    If they're mixing Mademoiselle and plain Coco, why not Coco Midlife Crisis?

Probably going to try it begrudgingly anyway. Sounds nice-smelling.

I can't wait to try it. I always get exited with a new Chanel.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't wait to try it. I always get exited with a new Chanel.
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

By the notes, it sounds good. Hopefully not too much of that patchouli.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I wOUD (lol) loose all respect for Chanel if they did an oud

Coco bit sounds good, Mademoiselle bit - not so sure. Will see, will see...

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    Geranium?
    Yes, that got me curious indeed. Geranium was/is part of the Mousse de Saxe Caron base accord and I believe to notice its always special presence in some vintage perfumes, but let's not get carried away here.... what is to expect from tonka bean and white musk and yes, patchouli....

Quote Originally Posted by anomie et ivoire View Post
    if they're mixing mademoiselle and plain coco, why not coco midlife crisis?
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by anomie et ivoire View Post
    why not Coco Midlife Crisis?
    Is that weird? I would kinda wanna sniff that! Haha.

The bottle actually looks kinda menacing. Coco Maitresse! I hope the juice packs as big a punch. Lets all try soonest..

I heard it's less patchy than Coco M. Mmm, we will have to see.

I agree with all of those who have said that Noir is overused especially in perfumery[cosmetics too] it'd be nice to see a Blanc or a Rosť. I for one do like Coco Mademoiselle from the little perfume sniffers in magazines quite a bit though I might be showing my teenage-ness and have yet to try it on my skin at Ulta or any dept. store I was always more concerned about other scents and then passed by Coco Mademoiselle and thought "oh I did want to try that, ah well". I'm interested to smell this though, is Chanel running any sample promotions? Like Burberry did with Body, or YSL with Homme Libre[I think it was that one]. Sounds interesting would look elegant on my dresser.

Lempicka has a Blanc that just came out..gosh I love that bottle.

http://www.nstperfume.com/2012/06/12...erfume-review/

Sur la Plage

I just hope it's not the "women's" Bleu de Chanel.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Petruccijc, that is just evil!
    DONNA

@petruccijc the thought of that makes me shudder, I smelled Bleue De Chanel on a guy friend of mine he was all 'I'm wearing Bleue D'Chanel do you like it? you like Chanel right?" and I took a good whiff, and smelled like really cheap deodorant to me like worse than Axe.

@Kalli That bottle is GORGEOUS and the notes sound so interesting I'd love to try it! how long is it out for?

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Petruccijc, that is just evil!
    I call it realistic

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I just hope it's not the "women's" Bleu de Chanel.
    I was kinda thinking to say that earlier..sorry LGD! xoxoxo

But BDC smells like Coco M edt with more spice when it dries down, imo. I heard many women have bought BDC for themselves, so idk. It's just not what I am looking for in a men's scent. And the longevity of BDC...seems to be shorter than Coco M. edt from what I've sampled. Also, a let down.

@ beauxbatons: I have no idea, I think limited editions are only for one season..but totally not sure at all about that. That's just a guess.
    Last edited by kalli; 26th July 2012 at 12:38 PM.

I want to meekly report that I have smelled this fragrance at Dillards. I was allowed one spray on a card. I loved it. I pre-ordered on the spot. I am not great at communicating scents - but I will say a few things: One, I immediately KNEW it was right for me. Two, my eyes involuntarily widened like a kitten when I smelled it. Three, overall impression was more provocative than Coco and much more dignified than Mademoiselle.
    Cheeky

He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. Ecclesiastes 3:11

I cornered the Chanel sa this morning asking about this one. She said they had not been told the name but in training had seen a tester unbranded.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Duckie - good to see you ! Hugs from your frag hag .
    I waaaaaant this !!
    Hahaha! Frag Hag ... love that!

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    DUCKIE! Not seen you in a while.
    Yeah, I know. But, I'm still here!

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Actually, I listed it! Hehehe.
    Whoopsie!

oh my.
    I've been craving Coco lately ... something to look forward to!
    I could do without the Mademoiselle bit...
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

So, I went to the Chanel counter...I mentioned, 'ya, I guess that Coco Noir is coming out'. She looked at me really puzzled and said, 'what is that? I haven't heard of that..where did you hear about that? Is that sold only at boutiques?' I said, I don't think so, I don't know but I don't think so, I think it's a mainstream release. lol. Whoops. I was like, 'I was wondering if you guys had samples out yet', hehehe. She's like no, that I would know. Lol. The news of it coming out was only a few days ago, so, there was a chance she may not know. lol.. It's just funny, that's not the first time I've went to a counter about a new release and they had no idea what I was talking about lol. I don't expect them to be reading the blogs or anything, lol..it's just a little funny.

Edit: But maybe not that funny..I think Chanel wants this release to be hush hush until they officially release news for it I guess? From what I have read.
    Last edited by kalli; 30th July 2012 at 04:30 PM.

Oh, Cheeky, please say more!

I called a few stores, and I was told that Coco Noir would be here, in the U.S., on August 17. Saks said they might receive testers a week before that, but they were not sure. I also hope it's not another version of Coco Mademoiselle.

I just read that post by cheeky! Oooh, sounds even more lovely now! Welcome!.

I am hopeful but not going to buy this unsniffed.

I have not been paying enough attention lately. I new Chanel. Oooo. Love Coco. And Mad. C. does not make me throw-up, and sometimes I even do enjoy it lightly on somebody else. The description rocks. Now to wait for more BN impressions and an actual sniffffff!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

This is a must-try for me!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by catnip_too View Post
    I called a few stores, and I was told that Coco Noir would be here, in the U.S., on August 17.
    I also asked a Danish SA today, she told me,
    that it will be released here in Denmark in
    week 34 or 35. I cannot wait. I'm so excited.

She had already sniffed it. I asked her if it
    was like a darker version of the regular Coco.
    She said no. She doesn't like Coco, but, she
    love this new Noir edition.

Interesting, thanks LGD.

I am thinking this sounds more pink all the time, cross posting my post from the other Coco thread. .

Hehehe.

The lady at the Nordstrom counter told me it's like Coco Mademoiselle with more depth. She told me they had a sample, was going to let me try it, but then she couldn't find it.

So I smelled Coco EDP on a testing strip, and I love the smell of it. I'm not sure I could get away with wearing it but I'd like some anyway!

Okay, House of Fraser Belfast had a little stand with a small say 20mls plain bottle, not the normal Chanel one black label which said Chanel. I bounced on it saying, "Oh the new Coco Noir."

Right, firstly please do not think Coco original, nothing like it what so ever. As has been said Coco Mademoiselle with a slightly warmer oriental base. They really should have called it Mademoiselle Noir. Pleasant if you like Mademoiselle, but for the real Coco lover a no.
    DONNA

I was given a sample at the Chanel counter yesterday. I haven't tested it yet.

Today the wife and I stopped in at Neimans in Houston. The SA seen me sniffing around the Sycomore bottle and quickly ushered us to a black box near one of the displays. After letting us smell some pure rose she gave us a pre-sprayed card of the fragrance. It smells amazing. My wife loves it. The SA sprayed it on her and then quickly went grab 2 carded sample sprays that come in a little black Chanel bag. She says the release date is Aug. 17th and that store will only have about 150 units. The smaller spray was just over $100.

Was not a huge fan before but we both really like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicron View Post
    Today the wife and I stopped in at Neimans in Houston. The SA seen me sniffing around the Sycomore bottle and quickly ushered us to a black box near one of the displays.
    Make sure to go back and test that Sycomore some more. It's a true classic and would suit you both.

I sniffed it yesterday and while it's quite nice, I don't see the point ...yet (it is a Chanel though, so I might come around!) But since Coco Noir is clearly much more closely related to Coco Mademoiselle, and since I find the original Coco so perfect in every way (and already quite noir enough) I'm going to be passing on this new one for now ...though the flacon is very sleek and stylish.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I sniffed it yesterday and while it's quite nice, I don't see the point ...yet (it is a Chanel though, so I might come around!) But since Coco Noir is clearly much more closely related to Coco Mademoiselle, and since I find the original Coco so perfect in every way (and already quite noir enough) I'm going to be passing on this new one for now ...
    I don't know why but I'm not surprised...

^ Neither was I. But I admittedly didn't have high expectations after seeing the notes ...I might have been devastated, otherwise.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

So they just released a Coco Mademoiselle Extreme with a different name... A confuse flanker like the Sport Extreme (which is a flanker of the original, not the sport)

I'm quite disappointed, that it apparently
    is this close to Mademoiselle. I've never
    really liked Mademoiselle. Oh well ... it
    can still blow me away when I sniff it.

Fingers crossed!

Basenotes Member The New York Perfumista's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I tested this the other day at Lord and Taylor. It smells like Coco Mademoiselle with a hit of incense. Chanel Noir is a dark and fruity. On the skin, I get a lot of incense, spice and booze. It reminds me a lot of Tom Ford Black Orchid- A LOT. These two scents could have been separated at birth. Both scents are mysterious, sexy, and have that dark fruit liqueur vibe.
    Longevity was great. Coco Noir lasted about 6-7 hours on the skin. It hovers just above the skin offering moderate sillage and the longer this fragrance lasts on the skin, the better it gets. Definitely worth a sniff even if you are not a fan of Coco Mademoiselle.
    And, even though this is marketed towards women I could totally see a man wearing this scent. That would actually be pretty hot.
    http://www.thenewyorkperfumista.com/...de-parfum.html
    My current Scent Addiction: Heeley Bubblegum Chic
    Twitter: @theNYperfumista

Basenotes Plus

I tried this recently, on paper and on my skin; there's very little "noir" in the juice itself. The top was citrusy and sweet....pleasant enough. I was completely asnomic to the heart notes and that was surprising, as the only notes I know I asnomic to are a few musks. A couple of hours later, the base was lovely but kept very close to the skin.

I preordered a small bottle but am reconsidering after the disappearing act of the heart notes.

Coco Noir was neither Coco, nor Noir. Perhaps "Mademoiselle Blanc" would be a better name and in a white milk glass bottle.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Mademoiselle Blanc?? Oh this gets worse all the time, lol. I do like the comparison to Black Orchid, I wanted to like BO but the gardenia killed it for me. So, if it's like BO without gardenia, well I found my sig scent almost. If it's like Madam Blanc, ugh. Citrusy??? In a noir??

I would like the white milk glass bottle though, especially if it's not a coffin like Truth or Dare, ugh.

LGD-you don't like a Chanel scent? Well, I'll be...hehe. I like Coco M,. The edt though.
    Last edited by kalli; 6th August 2012 at 07:02 AM.

I found a counter with a tester, and I was able to spray it once (and only once), having tested other things before that, so please take the following a grain of salt.

I didn't find the pink grapefruit prominent. It seems blended well. Noir starts softly spicy, with the characteristic Coco's spiciness, but lighter. I liked the beginning. Unfortunately, after a couple of hours, it strongly reminded me of the base of Coco Mademoiselle. I will test it more thoroughly, of course, when it's finally out.

I so cannot wait to test it... I am big fan of Chanel scents.

wow! Astonishing bottle. Will have to check this one.

- - - Updated - - -

wow! Astonishing bottle. Will have to check this one.