Code of Conduct

Default How do you apply your fragrance?

I need the most effective way so that I can smell good around people. Anyways I apply my fragrance by spraying one on the base of my neck (slightly above the Adam's apple), one behind my neck, and one (sometimes two it really depends where I'm going) on my chest (on the shirt, not on the skin).

Banned

Default Re: How do you apply your fragrance?

with my one hand, I do a handstand upside down and use my other hand to spray it. The smells last longer that way.

1 on the shirt, back of the neck, sides of the neck

Quote Originally Posted by attila View Post
    with my one hand, i do a handstand upside down and use my other hand to spray it. The smells last longer that way.
    roflmao.

Chest, behind each ear, left wrist, sometimes also right wrist. Always on bare skin. Number of sprays depends on the fragrance and what I am planning to do when I wear it.

Chest, neck, broader chest area.

for swap/sale:

Chest and lower neck.

One spray on each side of the neck and one to the chest.

Well depending on the fragrance of course, I normally spray 3 on the chest, 2 on the front of my neck and sometimes 1 at the back of my neck

Depends on the juice, the quality of the sprayer and for what purpose I'm using it.

If I apply before going to bed, I'll use a mild frag and spray one on chest, one on back neck and one on front neck.

If I apply before going to a loooong day at work (12 hours+) and with strong potent juice, I first use scent free neutral Nivea deo stick followed by scent free neutral Sanex deo spray and then apply 3 sprays of the frag to each armpit. Then apply 2 sprays to my chest on top of each other and 2 to the neck area on top of each other followed by 1 spray to the back area to get the 12+ hour longevity.
    If the juice is less potent or the sprayer is less effective, I'll apply further 2-3 sprays and try to avoid riding the elevator with my neighbours just after that

I'll apply 3-4 sprays less or use less potent juice if I only need 8+ hours longevity that day at work
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Depends on the juice, the quality of the sprayer and for what purpose I'm using it.

If I apply before going to bed, I'll use a mild frag and spray one on chest, one on back neck and one on front neck.

If I apply before going to a loooong day at work (12 hours+) and with strong potent juice, I first use scent free neutral Nivea deo stick followed by scent free neutral Sanex deo spray and then apply 3 sprays of the frag to each armpit. Then apply 2 sprays to my chest on top of each other and 2 to the neck area on top of each other followed by 1 spray to the back area to get the 12+ hour longevity.
    If the juice is less potent or the sprayer is less effective, I'll apply further 2-3 sprays and try to avoid riding the elevator with my neighbours just after that

I'll apply 3-4 sprays less or use less potent juice if I only need 8+ hours longevity that day at work
    Frag before bed?!?! Dude you must be rich, really love your fragrance, or just getting fancy for the girl in your dreams. DAAAMN.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    ...If I apply before going to bed, I'll use a mild frag and spray one on chest, one on back neck and one on front neck...
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Frag before bed?!?! Dude you must be rich, really love your fragrance, or just getting fancy for the girl in your dreams. DAAAMN.
    This cracked me up. It is normal for some BNers to wear bedtime frags, especially to those who have more than 50 fragrances/samples in their wardrobe.

I'm not rich and my collection is small, but I sometimes spray before going to bed. Get used to the norm, rook. :-P

Some examples of varying strength colognes:

Lapidus Pour Homme: 2 sprays: 1 on the neck, 1 for the wrists

Pure Havane: 3 sprays: 1 on the neck, 1 on each wrist

Dior Homme Intense: 4 sprays: 1 on the chest, 1 on the neck, 1 on each wrist

Millesime Imperial: 5 sprays: 1 on the chest, 1 each side of neck, 1 each wrist

Curve: Unlimited sprays: 1 on the chest, 1 each side of neck, 1 back of neck, 1 each wrist, 1 in the hair, 1 in my pants, 1 on my wallet, 1 on my sandwhich, and 1 for the road.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I apply my fragrance by spraying one on the base of my neck.

So if it really depends on the fragrances, what's the application method for Bleu de Chanel and L'Eau d'Issey PH Sport then?

I usually 3-4 times on my chest and at least 1-2 times behind each earlobe, also a few additional times on my neck if I want truly strong sillage

I try to use less potent juice for
    my bedtime frag and only 3-4 sprays.

I never understood the guys who recommend applying 1-2 sprays. 'Less is more with frags and you have to be considerate to your surroundings when applying fragrance' - for some reason I don't agree with all that

I apply my frags according to purpose. If I apply 2 sprays of Creed GIT or Creed MI before going to work for 8+ hours, what's the freakin' point if I want it to last and smell it during the day ?

The guy with 8 sprays of Acqua Di Gio will smell far louder than me and I will not be able to enjoy my scent of the day anyway.....

So I spray so I know it lasts and I get the proper projection.
    Sure 30 minutes - 1 hour after application I try to avoid getting up close to people, but after that - I don't think more about it - I just enjoy my frag, and that's what this hobby is all about isn't it

I don't use frags for my GF, only on dates with her, I use frags daily for myself to enjoy. Also at bed time. Frags calm me down thus I sleep better thus life is better thus I enjoy life a little but more !
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

So if it really depends on the fragrances, what's the application method for Bleu de Chanel and L'Eau d'Issey PH Sport then?
    Impossible to say.
    Test test test test !

Depends on your purpose - bed time frag, date frag, work frag.

Depends on the climate - apply less in the heat, more in the cold.

Depends on your personality - less is more for the discrete stylish guy, more is better for the outgoing cologne feel-good type of guy.

You get it now
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    This cracked me up. It is normal for some BNers to wear bedtime frags, especially to those who have more than 50 fragrances/samples in their wardrobe.

I'm not rich and my collection is small, but I sometimes spray before going to bed. Get used to the norm, rook. :-P
    Hey man just felt humorous today! Ahaha

Dependent

It really depends on the fragrance itself but usually no more than 10 (10 is the max for clubbing sometimes).
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Banned

Spray on each side of your neck, just below the earlobes (a pulse point), and one spray on the back of your neck (the nape) near your hairline (for sillage).

Just wondering will 3 sprays on your neck kill your nose?

Chest, forearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Embassy View Post
    Nope. Well not unless your excessively sensitive.

for swap/sale:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Embassy View Post
    If you are concerned about the sprays on your neck, you can forgo those (the ones below your earlobes), and spray each of your forearms at the crease opposite your elbow, but do spray the back of your neck, near your hairline, for the sillage (your wake, so to speak).

I try not to spray on the front of my neck because of olfactory fatigue.

For example, I used to cover myself in Burberry Brit because I thought it only lasted a few hours on me--now with 2 sprays to the chest, 2 for my inner elbows, and 1 on the back of my neck, I notice it for over 8 hours.

I'm new to frags so I can't give you much advice based on years of experience, but I can tell you what I do. I experiment and keep notes - you know, live and learn. Some days I put on more, other days less. I try spraying different places - neck, chest, wrists, forearms - on my clothes one day, not on my clothes the next. It also depends on what I'm doing - I put frags on heaviest when I'm at home alone and lightest when I'm at work or before bed.

Yes, before bed. On this point I totally agree with the Danish Viking. I really like putting on a frag before bed. At night I find that frags both calm and focus my mind. It might sound strange, but before I fall asleep I like thinking about the frag I have on. I think about the frag and nothing else. If I put something on right before bed I don't usually get past the topnotes before I fall asleep, but that's fine. I still really get a kick out of doing that...ya, I know, I have a pretty simple life. :-)
    A thing is worth what it can do for you, not what you choose to pay for it. – John Ruskin

Basenotes Member

1 or 2 spray on the chest
    1 spray under each ears

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

It depends on which fragrance, but I usually wear my scents like this.

Three sprays on chest, two on front and back of my neck.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Some examples of varying strength colognes:

Lapidus Pour Homme: 2 sprays: 1 on the neck, 1 for the wrists

Pure Havane: 3 sprays: 1 on the neck, 1 on each wrist

Dior Homme Intense: 4 sprays: 1 on the chest, 1 on the neck, 1 on each wrist

Millesime Imperial: 5 sprays: 1 on the chest, 1 each side of neck, 1 each wrist

Curve: Unlimited sprays: 1 on the chest, 1 each side of neck, 1 back of neck, 1 each wrist, 1 in the hair, 1 in my pants, 1 on my wallet, 1 on my sandwhich, and 1 for the road.
    Oh my God, that was funny. I burst out laughing when I read Curve...1 in my pants, 1 on my wallet, 1 on my sandwich. Oh, my.
    A thing is worth what it can do for you, not what you choose to pay for it. – John Ruskin

Just going to hijack this thread and not start a new one to ask this question: What's the best way to apply Azzaro Chrome? Am I good with just 1 spray at each side of my neck and maybe either 1 on chest or 1 on each wrist?

Behind the earlobes and hair.
    Last edited by Alvus; 9th August 2012 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    Chest, behind each ear, left wrist, sometimes also right wrist. Always on bare skin. Number of sprays depends on the fragrance and what I am planning to do when I wear it.
    like this

Like others have said, the frag's purpose dictates how much I spray.

If I want to make a loud presence I will spray behind my neck (1), each side of my neck (2), two on the chest (2), each forearm (2), and one to the underside of each wrist (2). I did this with Le Male the last time I went to a nightclub but also took an atomizer to freshen up in the bathroom a couple hours later.

For work and dates I will go with two to the neck and each wrist.

Weak scents I will sometimes spray up and down my arms and very liberally all over my shirt and neck (usually edcs).

When I was a freshmen in college I had a roommate that would spray all over his hands, arms, chest, and top it off with spraying into his hair while he combed it a few times too! Before class and always Givenchy Pi or Let Male. Needless to say I had to crack my small dormitory's window afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    with my one hand, I do a handstand upside down and use my other hand to spray it. The smells last longer that way.
    this

Dependent

chest pick a side on neck and one on left wrist

Depends on the fragrance and setting of the place where I am going.
    Ex: Class = 1 on the chest, put my shirt on, 1 on the neck
    Party: One on the chest, 1 on each hand (not my wrists), and one on the neck
    Night out: 2 on the neck, one on the chest. Depending on the fragrance, I may spray another on my forearm and dab.

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    ....Hahahahahahaha.

Newby alert. Other people know more about it than me. But one thing I've found that no one has mentioned here is the distance to spray from. Scents that do not last on me can last a lot longer if I spray them from about an inch from my skin. OTOH I put a test spray of Amouage Memoir on my wrist yesterday and its still going strong. In fact, it was a quite cloying for most of yesterday. I expect a spray or two in the air and walk through the cloud would be the way to use that scent.

I guess only using that much makes the price a bit more reasonable as well.

It depends on the fragrance. Usually it's one directly behind each ear and a half spray behind the neck for a fragrance with greater projection and longevity. For more fleeting fragrances I apply the same as above and add a spray to each forearm.

A spray to my upper wrists, chest, back of neck and a tiny bit on my shirt.