Code of Conduct

Lightbulb I blind bought...

New idea for a thread, what are your best and worst blind buys, stories

Default Re: I blind bought...

95% of my collection.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

98% of mine.

99% of mine

Blog Entries

I can only remember three blind buys I made and I was happy when I got them: L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake, Rochas Man by Rochas, and L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme (EDT) by Guerlain.

Out of the three, my favorite is L'Instant, followed by Rochas Man. I don't care about D'Issey any more.

Currently, my policy is to sample a fragrance first before buying it, especially if it costs more than $70.

Yea, 90% of my collection also...

Probably 95% of my collection was a blind buy and I am pretty much happy with all of them.

I would say my biggest surprise for the better was Paco Rabanne Black XS. I am shocked at how much I like the creamy vanilla strawberry scent get from it.

The one that was my biggest disappointment would probably be Cerruti Image. This one was not horrible and I wore it a few time but I could not get over how soapy it smelled.

Blind buying does not seem to be a big problem for me, my nose seems to get along with just about everything . I also tend to only blind buy things that have a stronger love/like over hate/dislike in the reviews.
    Living each day one spray at a time

Chanel Bois des Iles. I was really worried it'd smell too feminine for my tastes. However, I was pleasantly surprised after the harsh aldehydes subsided. My girlfriend noted I smelled like I had money (a doctor or lawyer.) Must be the Chanel Egoiste in this scent everyone refers to, but more refined and light. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the purchase. I blind bought Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain today. I'll let you know how that one goes! On both I was drawn to purchase by simply reading notes of the frags.

Recently blind bought the new Acqua di Parma Intensa Oud, because I had a chance to buy a barely used bottle at a significant discount on RRP, and I knew I was very likely to buy it in the future anyway. Has been a great success as I love it, and it was a bargain!

Another very successful blind buy for me was Pure Coffee, which I rate as a 5* fragrance - and I rarely give 5 stars in my collection.

Many more, some more successful than others, but I'm sure that goes for most of us here....

I've pretty much enjoyed all my blind buys aside from The Dreamer, which I am beginning to grow on.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    98% of mine.
    yup, mee 2

About half of my blind buys, of which there have only been 5-6, have been on cheapies so it's hard to really regret those too much. even if I am not over the moon for them they only set me back 20-40 bucks. I will say I have bought some bottles with relatively hazy vision, buying them after not really giving them a full test, or buying due to that sense of guilt you sometimes get by taking up an hour plus of an SA's time before walking out the door empty handed.

My latest round of purchases included Bamboo Harmony By Killian, part of the new Asian Tales collection, I purchased that one in Vegas after trying it once in the store and from a sample later that same evening, purchasing it the next day. It's absolutely a quality scent and smells nice, but it's just nice, I'm starting to think this one will be synonymous with me for buyers remorse, hopefully it grows on me more, otherwise I'll end up selling it or gifting it to the GF as it is definitely unisex..

I don't blind buy with the only excepton made for a couple of fragrances suggested by people who really knows my taste. Obviously successful...(Metal by Paco Rabanne and Jolie Madame vintage)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Probably fairly 50% of my collection and no regrets so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Probably fairly 50% of my collection and no regrets so far.
    Ah, that's where I differ...I'd say a 1/4 of mine get resold...part of the gamble I guess.

I never do.
    And people around me know they shouldn't buy me fragrances I haven't tried before either.

Id say at least 97% of mine is blind bought.

Even blind bought at a department store because they didn't have a tester available.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

About 20% of my collection and I am 85% fully satisfied with the blind buys. I usually take advice from those who I know have very similar taste to mine, before I do a blind buy.

96 percent of my collectio n. ..

Let me put it like this. I have 28 frags in my collection. Only 4 had I tested before purchasing.

My best blind buys:
    Terre De Hermes
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    Angel for men
    Grey Flannel

And the worst blind buys
    CK Eternity
    CK Euphoria for men
    Joop (can't stress this enough)
    Hanae Mori H.M.
    Last edited by kodafume; 28th July 2012 at 09:25 PM.

YSL Jazz, and liking it!

I just blind bought the dreamer and it seems like this might be my new signature scent, another blind buy I had was hug by hugo boss and I'm thinking i should go for boss bottled because I love the apple note. I also just bought kiton for men and WOW it smells great. My worst blind buy I would say was l'eu bleue d'issey and that one wasn't even blind i sampled a splash on tester, but when i bought it it was worlds apart and nasty. I think i got a bad bottle if anyone wants it pm me.

Most blind buys for are good except Farrari Uomo, i was bombarded with gasoline, sold it that some day

I also blind bought Gap Sueded Musk (hidden musk masterpiece of) Oh yeah, I was almost gonna blind buy Farrari Uomo but I gave it a nice try and it wasn't to my licking. Old Navy needs to steps up to the plate and release a fragrance.
    Last edited by EarNoseThroat; 29th July 2012 at 04:23 AM.

Kouros....I like it but only wear it around the house

Apparition Homme Intense and Body Kouros......pretty much love both

Quorum......didn't like it.

I sample most before buying, I have about a million samples/decants. I usually only blind-buy cheaper fragrances, and a lot of mini's which I don't include in my wardrobe here.

My first, Declaration by Cartier, I blind bought. It was so good that it sucked me into this obsession. I had no idea what that one little purchase from Amazon would do.

I blind bought many fragrances.

By biggest regrets are:
    Bond No.9 Harrods Swarrovski
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Polo Explorer
    212 Men

Most enjoyable blind purchases:
    CdG Avignon
    Polo Double Black
    by Kilian Back to Black
    A*Men Pure Havane
    A*Men Pure Malt
    Versace Man Eau Fraiche

Now that I think about it, I made a lot of blind purchases - based on gut instinct, user reviews, and impatience. I am becoming a little more careful now, but I'm sure I haven't made my last blind buy...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I blind bought many fragrances.

By biggest regrets are:
    i
    Dior Fahrenheit

I remember the experience of sampling that frag vividly. I was a teenager and it had a flashy bottle so I took a whif. To this day it is the most memorable, foul smelling, frag I've ever experienced. I couldn't believe people would put that on themselves willingly. I figured they called it Farenheit because it smelled of lighter fluid.

Most recently, Santal Noble (MP&G), and I'm quite pleased with it. Different from what I expected, but also better than I expected!

90-95% of my collection
    Best blind bought -definitely Pure Malt
    Worst -L'Eau d'Issey

I watch a review, then blind buy...boy do I annoy myself sometimes.
    Best: Either Pure Malt or Le Male (although to be fair, I did try le male, but intended on blind buying it anyways).