Code of Conduct

Default Looking for 2nd tier Creed: Erolfa, Green Valley, Royal Water, Original Vetiver?

Okay, I just posted a few weeks ago: "I think I'm done with Creed". But in the intervening time, my GIT and Aventus have "bloomed" from exposure to the air and now are giving me solid longevity and beautiful, beautiful scent. Many, many compliments and personal pleasure. It's like overnight my GIT went from giving me barely 2-3 hours with a wimpy drydown, to 4 hours of nice projection, and several more hours of very very nice drydown. I can easily smell it on my arm and shirt even 8 hours later. A similar thing happened with my Aventus. When I first got it, it had this really sharp, pungent 'bug spray' accord on top of the pineapple that wasn't very pleasant. Just last week the 'bug spray' has disappeared to be replaced by a pleasant musk, and I can detect a little apple and black currant peaking through. I was literally followed around work by 2 people who wanted to know the name of the scent.

Unfortunately, my SMW has only advanced from giving me 30 minutes to an hour and a half, but I am being patient with it.

Like I said in my original post, I really loved the smell of alot of the creeds, but was totally bummed by the longevity issues. Now that I see that improves with time, I'm willing to try another.

I really like fresh, fruity, green, citrus, even slightly floral scents. GIT is my absolute favorite, with Aventus not far behind. I am looking at these four: Green Valley, Original Vetiver, Royal Water, and Erolfa. Any thoughts on which way to go? Last time I was at Saks, I really liked OV and RW on the strip, but of course that is really no definitive test.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for 2nd tier Creed: Erolfa, Green Valley, Royal Water, Original Vetiver?

From this four GV is the only one that FBW for me.

It smells so green and I condider it better than GIT.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Default Re: Looking for 2nd tier Creed: Erolfa, Green Valley, Royal Water, Original Vetiver?

I like all the ones you mentioned except Royal Water, it's probably the worst Creed IMO. Another one for you to check out is Neroli Sauvage, I think it's right up your alley.

Green Valley is much underated and a beautiful fragrance while original vetiver is great in the heat with its soapy citrus vibe.

From these 4 Creeds, I can recommend OV.

Original Vetiver or Erolfa.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

For this hot, humid, summer weather, Original Vetiver.

Basenotes Plus

Original Vetiver and Green Valley. Both are excellent.

All good options but if I had to pick, I'd pick Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I like all the ones you mentioned except Royal Water, it's probably the worst Creed IMO. Another one for you to check out is Neroli Sauvage, I think it's right up your alley.
    +1 on Neroli Sauvage. Fresh citrus into a subtle warm wood. Classy frag. Not super complex, just super good. OV and Erolfa are worth checking out - not convinced enough for a full bottle yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I also actively dislike Royal Water. Neroli Savauge is pleasant enough, but nothing amazing to me. Original Vetiver can be very good on the right person - my partner smells great in it, but it doesn't jibe with my skin chemistry. I can't even remember what Erolfa smelled like; it didn't make much of an impression on me. I've never smelled Green Valley. So, I guess out of the ones you're considering, I'd say Original Vetiver. I'm not sure how you're defining "2nd tier" here really.

Basenotes Junkie

Original Vetiver is Just fantastic in my book. Popping with green, not just vetiver, but also a herby Basel. It lasts for ever on me and is definitely on my top five. Get a sample asap!

Quote Originally Posted by bejahu View Post
    Original Vetiver and Green Valley. Both are excellent.
    I agree with this, and I enjoy Erolfa, too. However, it has very poor longevity and projection. Royal Water is one of the few Creeds I had to return because I did not care for it at all. The opening is not good and the dry down is too powdery/feminine, IMO.

Green Valley is being discontinued I think, which is unfortunate since it's easily as good if not better than anything else Creed has created. I'd try that one-- and if you like it, snag it before it's too late.

It's a slightly powdery fresh green violet leaf/mint/patchouli/blackcurrant scent. Very nice anytime of year, but especially Spring.

The others are all great too (except I never got into Royal Water). I definitely find Green Valley to be the best of the bunch.

As for the longevity of SMW, give it time. It's your nose not the juice. I get compliments 10+ hours after 1 or 2 sprays. It's one of the loudest scents I own-- and even though I love it, I sometimes skip it because it's so radiant. No matter how long it's been since I applied it, I can always smell it until I wash it off.

Blog Entries

I like Royal Water, but I must admit that, on occasion, the smell just strikes me as odd, like some kind of turned citrus. There are days when it's my favorite Creed, and I spray it like mad, and other days when I take a whiff of the bottle, say "NO WAY", and put it back in the drawer. I save it for those good days.

Have you considered Virgin Island Water? You really need to go big on skin with it to get a taste of how nice it can be. It has mannered sillage, surprising longevity, and real depth, when you go with 4-6 sprays.

Respect for Green Valley, even though it doesn't work for me.

OV would be my pic and may get a bottle myself
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    As for the longevity of SMW, give it time. It's your nose not the juice. I get compliments 10+ hours after 1 or 2 sprays. It's one of the loudest scents I own-- and even though I love it, I sometimes skip it because it's so radiant. No matter how long it's been since I applied it, I can always smell it until I wash it off.
    SMW is one high-pitched whistle - almost like a dog whistle. Once your nose can hear it.... STAND BACK. I find the order of frequencies on that sharp note to be: GIT < MI < SMW.