Code of Conduct

Default My first impressions of Tauer's Lonestar Memories

One of the samples I received with my recent purchase was Andy's Lonestar Memories. Reading the insert I was expecting something remniscient of the L'air du desert Morocain since they share similar ingredients. Surely though I now know they have nothing in common.

I've had it on for about an hour, a single spray. My impression is that this is not an everyday wearer. It smells like a rich cologne to wear on a date, special occasion, or job interview. It's very up front with it's scent as opposed to the subtleness I usually enjoy in every day frags.

I haven't smelled more than about 40 frags in my life so I don't have too much to compare it to. It's blend is too complex for my nose to pick out any one note, it just blends too well. I'm reminded of Guerlain's Heritage and Habit Rouge the most but with a slightly sweeter dry down. It's a little nose tickling and effervescent, little incense like, no powder or amber yet. Not very floral or oriental. I guess I'd call it a kind of woods and spice, but without the requisite patchouli and oakmoss you'd typically find. It says it has vetiver in the base notes and that is one of my favorite absolutes, but I don't detect it.

It does smell like a quality cologne, something fit for a refined taste, but I think it's not so much for me. I prefer more subtlety in my daily frags.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: My first impressions of Tauer's Lonestar Memories

IMO it's one of his better offerings.

In the base, there is some of the same dry Tauerade as in other Tauer's frags. But, as you point out, subtle it is not, it's rather of the type "explosion at a chemical factory". I like it, though; anyway, do not try Le Labo Patchouli then, which is also gives the impression that some serious fire is going on nearby.

cacio

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

There is truly nothing else out there like this. A very unique blend, but I get nothing out of it that fits the name or that other people describe (cowboys, campfires, saddles, etc.). This is a very modern, urban scent to me and in my top 3 without question.

There is something reminiscent of licorice in it which at first wasn't my favorite, but has grown on me and now I crave it. Not sure if it is anise or something else that gives it that scent.

Quote Originally Posted by tehtimmeh View Post
    There is truly nothing else out there like this. A very unique blend, but I get nothing out of it that fits the name or that other people describe (cowboys, campfires, saddles, etc.). This is a very modern, urban scent to me and in my top 3 without question.
    I am one of the ones to whom it smells like cowboys and campfires...but with mint toothpaste and maybe some barbecue thrown in. Weird stuff, but I like it. The top is just so...odd. I have never smelled anything else like it, and I doubt I ever will. Even after all these years with scents, I find Lonestar Memories difficult to wrap my head around.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I think it's the carrot seed and anise that throws people. I'm actually from Texas and it doesn't make me think of the lonestar state at all. It makes me think of hugging my grandpa when I was a kid and associating that smell with class and warmth of character, a guy who you would listen to because he's the boss, but at the same time could trust.