Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances that you didn't like at first, but then liked after a weeks of trying it

The problem is that if someone smells these on you, their impression will probably match your initial impression and not the impression you gained after wearing it for weeks. So should first impressions decide whether a fragrance is wearable, and thus the above fragrances should not be worn outside of the home?

P.S. The fragrance that raised this question for me is Versace Homme (the 80s version). At first I thought it smelled odd and that it was unwearable. But now I like it.
    Last edited by Cerel9; 29th July 2012 at 05:19 AM.

Default Re: Fragrances that you didn't like at first, but then liked after a weeks of trying it

Most likely, DHI, a few Dsquared and Moschino Uomo among others. The first impression was so-so and I needed further testing, sometimes over timeframes longer than a few weeks, in order to be persuaded not only that these scents can be worn, but also
    outside the home and on various occasions.

Default Re: Fragrances that you didn't like at first, but then liked after a weeks of trying it

Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    The problem is that if someone smells these on you, their impression will probably match your initial impression and not the impression you gained after wearing it for weeks.
    I'm not sure about that. First off, people have different tastes and perceptions, and so the fact that you didn't like it at first doesn't mean others won't.

Also, our first impression of a fragrance is often based on smelling a strip or a spritz to the wrist, with the intention of testing it, and with a critical nose. But someone who smells it on you isn't generally trying to assess it. That person is experiencing it differently, in a different context. I'm not sure why, but I think it matters. For one thing, we tend to be less critical and more positively disposed toward people we like anyway.

I really didn't like Mitsouko or Bandit when I first tried them, but now I own and love both. And I wouldn't hesitate to wear either out of the house. For one thing, I'm careful not to wear overpowering amounts of anything. Also, a certain amount of confidence is important with anything. Whether it's your clothing or your perfume or your hairstyle, if you obviously feel uncomfortable with yourself, that creates a bad impression - even if other people can't exactly spot the reason.

Dior Homme
    Terre D'Hermes
    Czech & Speake Cuba
    Knize Ten
    1740 Marquis de Sade

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    First off, people have different tastes and perceptions, and so the fact that you didn't like it at first doesn't mean others won't.
    True

Armani Code Sport

DH& DHI, Kouros

-M7
    -Black Aoud (Till´I get used to the Montale´s oud)
    -Kouros
    -Fahrenheit
    -Eau d´Epices
    - A lot of people thinks that they live when the only thing they do is simply exist.

Recently:

- Bois d'ascèse by Naomi Goodsir (the first two-three times I used it I totally hated it, now each time I use it I love it more and more!)
    - Duel by Annick Goutal (dishwasher liquid at first, then I got it better)
    - Timbuktu (I did not "get it" as it happens to many users - I still don't "love it", but surely I appreciate it a lot)

Creed Bois du Portugal. Has this dated vibe, but I'm a kid from the 80's but BDP just seems awfully full of stuff they used in the 70's and 80's. Then I liked it, then hated it again. Still on the fence.....
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Potion Royal Black

- Guerlain Vetiver (took me a year, love it now!)
    - DH and DHI (were always too feminine for me, love them now)
    - Kouros (one of the best but you have to get used to it like a good Cognac)
    - Terre D'Hermes (smelled like orange only to me in the beginning; now I love the stuff when smelling all notes)

Very clovy/peppery fragrances like Oscar for men and Loewe 7 I had to get used to a lot but adore both and also see how good they actually both are!
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Black Afgano.

Tried it, hated it. Tried it again, loved it. Bought a bottle. Wore it once from thie bottle, hated it. Got rid of it.

1 year passes.

Tried it again. Love it. Bought another bottle. Wore it again once from bottle, hated it. Loathed it. Don't ever want to be around it ever again. Got rid of it again.

There is a component that I love that draws me in, but overall, It's nauseating.

DH, LADDM, and LIDGE for me. I don't think the individual wearing the fragrance's assessment can be linked to others' assessment of the fragrance on you. Case and point, I found DH and LIDGE to be quite unwearable initially, but I received numerous compliments from the opposite sex while wearing them. This was the individuals first time smelling them on me. A very interesting question and subject. Can't wait to see other peoples responses!
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Basenotes Plus

A*men
    Aoud Leather
    New York Musk

Oh, I have many of these, and interestingly, the fragrances I do a 180 on have usually turned out to be among my very favorites. Go figure.

Dior Homme was the first of these. Tried it four or five times before I broke through the immediate "lip stick" association and fell in love.

Timbuktu went from curiosity to can't-get-enough for a while.

I went back and forth on Rose 31 for a few years, sampling here and there, loving one part, hating it, finding it soapy and unremarkable at moments, trying again. Finally took a chance on a full bottle, and now it's in heavy rotation. I love it.

Special mention to Amouage, as to me they're the prime example of complex compositions that demand patience to reveal their charms. I was repulsed my Memoir Man at first, and now it makes me swoon and is in my top five. Fate Man seemed like not my thing at all when I sprayed on paper, but a few wears from a sample now and it actually feels more like "me" than many other fragrances. Finally, Interlude Man seemed overbearing (especially in the base) when I first tried it a year ago. Now I'm pretty sure I want a full bottle. It's beguiling.

For me the lesson is: stay open to how your tastes change and develop. If you don't like something, no problem. But don't throw it away if you suspect it has something worth saying. Try it again a few weeks, a few months, or a year later. You may be in a long courtship with your next true love.
    Last edited by onethinline; 18th February 2014 at 08:21 PM.

Quite the opposite for me. I liked DH and DHI at first and then went off both of them after a week.

Terre D'Hermes without question
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

- Fahrenheit (hated it for months, love it now)
    - Dior Homme (hated it first time, love it now. Don't really like DHI still)
    - Le Male

Interlude man for me too. I thought it was a scrubber when I first sampled. Now I want a bottle. Probably will be adding to my collection come fall.

Encre Noir. Put me off at first. Love it now. Its a work of art.

Timbuktu. This one...I was already a fan of Bertrand D before trying it and was aware of what to expect. I personally love this scent and was never turned off by it from the get go.
    Per FuMe - on FB. Check out my page. Like and Share. Disounts on most frags. https://www.facebook.com/PerFuMe.1505

Basenotes Plus

It has not happened to me yet though never say never.

Fragrances that you didn't like at first, but then liked after a weeks of trying it

Sounds a bit like arranged marriage to me in other parts of the world (joking).

- Cool Water (too soapy when I was younger)
    - Midnight in Paris (reminded me too much of Armani Code, which I was tired of smelling)
    - Al-Rehab Silver (thought it was too strong at first, now i cant wait for summer to come by so I can enjoy this every day)

Prada Amber Pour Homme! I blind bought this and then tried it out in the store and I loved the smell but felt very nervous wearing it the first day because I feared people would think I smelled like a girl.... But a lot of beautiful women at worked loved it an raved on and on about it the first day. Wherever I go anywhere women smile at me more than usual and I can see in their face it's because of my fragrance. The women are magnetized to this fragrance fellas but you have to be the right kind of man to pull it off IMO, just like how I can't pull off Fahrenheit even though I like it. This is now my signature and everything else is literally collecting dust.

Also, Dior Homme:
    When I first smelled it I had already read reviews so OF COURSE the only thing in my mind was "lipstick" before I even sprayed anything. When I first sprayed it I seriously laughed.. "Are you serious" "This is what all the fuss is about" "It smells like LIPSTICK!" I'm not going to lie even after thinking it was weird for a fragrance, I was so captivated by it- one of those ones you cannot stop smelling.... I recently got a sample of it and I'm addicted. I love it and so do the ladies. It projects a lot better than people give it credit for.

Prada Luna Rossa:
    When I first smelled this I have no idea why but I thought It smelled like coca cola! Thank God I gave it another chance! Great versatile sent.

YSL Libre - Just thought it was weird but now I love it after giving it like 3 chances

Dior Homme Eau- It smells HORRIBLE on paper but on your skin it smells amazing but I wouldn't buy it because it's projection is a joke... more so than D&G - The One
    Last edited by lunchbox148; 19th February 2014 at 02:19 AM.

It's crazy how much I used to dislike Terre D Hermes and now it's easily in my top 5, I really love it. I have smelt it quite a few times on guys and it is such a pleasant experience for me when I get the chance to catch a whiff of it when it is projecting heavily off of other people and though I don't own a bottle right now, when I do get the rare chance to wear it for myself I find myself sniffing the air all day long.

I thought Giorgio for Men was rank at first wear but I really fell for it about a week later. I wasn't at the time accustomed to honey-heavy scents like Lapidus and Tenere and it reminded me of wet dog hair in a way. I got over that quickly but my compatriots did not; Giorgio and its ilk are LOUD.
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

Serge Noir went from 'bad joke' to cutting edge contemporary masterpiece for me - took a couple of years . . . and some insightful comments from Diamondflame that made me come back to it after a year or so.

Basenotes Plus

Puredistance M. Couldn't stand it at first now I think it's pretty good. Still don't think I'd ever wear it, but I appreciate it as a good scent in its genre.

Lords Cologne by Penhaligon's
    Penhaligons - Lords mit Box - c.jpg
    and
    S.T. Dupont pour homme

Dupont Doppel - c - para.jpg
    and
    Carthusia "Uomo"

Carthusia - Uomo - c - Para - kl.jpg
    My 10 August favorites (houses alphabetical)

Asprey Purple Water
    Balenciaga L'Essence
    Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna
    Dunhill Custom
    Gainsboro G-man
    George F. Trumper Marlborough Cologne
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Lalique White
    Penhaligon's Racquets formula
    Rodier Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    The problem is that if someone smells these on you, their impression will probably match your initial impression and not the impression you gained after wearing it for weeks................
    Or months and years. And you never know what someone else's impression will be. Olfactory systems are hugely complex and there a million other variables that go along with it.

When it comes to people reviewing them it also depends on how much other stuff they've smelled. Most people haven't smelled much of anything. When it comes to perfume, people generally have a lot better perception once they've consistently smelled hundreds of perfumes over many years. Among a lot of other things, almost all of the ones that had no "projection and longevity" three years ago, often will later on.

Hadn't smelled many perfumes. I could tell Yatagan was a great one but there was something I didn't like. Three months later I loved it. The note or my perception of it was gone forever. Excellent fragrance. There are things I didn't like initially then loved when I tried them many years later. Total trip how profoundly the perception changes.
    Last edited by pluran; 19th February 2014 at 01:14 PM.

Dior Homme - i tried it in 2008/2009 and didn't like it at all due the infamous lipstick vibe. Now after the reformulation by Demachy I love it .

Aventus the first couple of times I tried it I wasn't very impressed it stayed close to my skin hard to smell about a month later I don't know what changed maybe I didn't spray enough but oh man that smoky pineapple vibe was outstanding couldn't stop smelling it and the longevity was 8 hours plus that's definitely my favorite cologne so far same thing with pure malt first couple times I smelled it the whiskey note threw me off but I went back and took a really good long smell and I can say I really love that cologne

Blog Entries

My then-girlfriend-now-wife gave me a bottle as a birthday gift several years ago. Didn't like it at first as it smelled dated to my nose, but I noticed some beautiful changes when I kept wearing it. Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's is like the ugly duckling that turned to a beautiful swan. I finished the bottle several months later.

This just happened to me with Aventus as well. I wanted to trade the $50 off voucher for some aqua di gio. That would've been a bad idea. Because I love the stuff now. Hated it at first. If someone on here is kind enough to point me in the direction of a decanter that would let me use the voucher towards a decant I'd greatly appreciate it.

B*Men
    I smell marshmallows!

Original Santal. I thought by far this was the worst creed. After obtaining a small decant, I've noticed myself leaning for it time after time.