Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amouage Tribute attar batch variations

Hello everyone, I had a question about potential batch variations of Amouage Tribute bottles in the newer red box, and the bottles that were sold in the older white boxes. After purchasing two 30ml bottles (one of each box), I notice a huge difference in the scent. The attar in the red box has a major rose note that dominates the composition while the Tribute in the white box smells overwhelmingly of tobacco, frankincense, and leather. I personally prefer the smell of the white boxed bottle by far. Has anyone else experienced this difference? It seems rather suspect that Amouage would change the ingredients (or the amount used) so drastically with each new batch they create. The two bottles of "Tribute" could easily pass as completely different attars altogether
    Last edited by C2531; 29th July 2012 at 06:05 AM.
    Current favorites: Olivier Durbano - Jade, Amouage - Tribute, Profumum - Arso, Etro - Palais Jamais, Comme Des Garcons - 2Man

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Amouage Tribute attar batch variations

I have Tribute in the new red box, purchased in Italy a couple of years ago. It smells overwhelmingly of tobacco, frankincense and leather, the rose is not prominent to my nose, so apparently it is as the older white box you're describing.

Now, unfortunately, it appears that Amouage is indeed prone to reformulations. This happened very clearly in the alcohol scents (there were some threads about Creedification of Amouage). And there's been some discussions recently about reformulations (or watering down) of Homage. What you say about Tribute is disturbing.

Another possibility is of course an exchange of bottles. Amouage attar bottles have no name and all look the same. Indeed, Tribute and Homage are the only ones with the name on the box, the others do not even have the name on the box. Sounds strange, though, plus it's not clear which other attar would masquerade as Tribute.

If you have purchased from a reputable seller, you should inquire. And return -if enough people return, perhaps Amouage will mend their ways.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response.

Interestingly enough, the newer bottle which came in the red box does NOT have the word Tribute written anywhere on the box. It is the exact same color as the other Tribute bottle I have so I never assumed it could be a different attar altogether. Does anyone know if there are other Amouage attars the same color as Tribute?

After smelling them side by side, the rose prominent one does seem watered down or much weaker. Perhaps it was just reformulated recently (purchased 4 months ago)
    Last edited by C2531; 29th July 2012 at 07:02 AM.
    Current favorites: Olivier Durbano - Jade, Amouage - Tribute, Profumum - Arso, Etro - Palais Jamais, Comme Des Garcons - 2Man

Post Thanks / Like

My Tribute bottle doesn't have any name on the bottle either. The red box says "Attar" on the top and Tribute on the front. For another attar I have, Molook, the box says The gift of kings on the top and Attar on the front.

There are dozens of Amouage attars, though they are not marketed in the US. So there's certainly more than a few the same color as Tribute. Interesting that at least it has not been watered down ...

cacio

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad news
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

SOOOO disapointed!! Really upset! Got a new bottle and want to cry...!
    I adore this perfume, infact it is the one I want to be buried with!
    And yes, it has been screwed with!
    Why oh why oh why??
    Much darker, thinner, not as rounded, harder and a bit rasping.
    The smoke is different, the rose is cheaper, the francincence is thinner, the orange is more prominent. NOT GOOD! Will not buy again unless it is from an old batch.
    So upset..!

Post Thanks / Like

any other word on this?

Post Thanks / Like

I'll just add that the 30ml bottle which seemed to be different or weaker was purchased recently from the Amouage store in Oman. so it is definitely authentic Tribute attar...

Post Thanks / Like

Sad news indeed. One would imagine that the Oman stores have the latest batches (provided it's produced in Oman, which I'm not sure) - so these new weaker batches will hit the western stores soon.

30ml or 12ml? 30ml of old formulation Tribute would last several centuries ...

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Sad news indeed. One would imagine that the Oman stores have the latest batches (provided it's produced in Oman, which I'm not sure) - so these new weaker batches will hit the western stores soon.

30ml or 12ml? 30ml of old formulation Tribute would last several centuries ...

cacio
    When I called MinNY asking about their stock they said they only keep one at a time and order after each is purchased. So I'd assume a lot of places have relatively newer stock, unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

After reading this thread last week, I tried the latest batch of Tribute. A disappointment for sure. The smokiness was more Hickory/meaty smelling, and the frankincense was weak. for $350/12ml you would think quality control would be priority!!! I have heard others say keep trying different batches but it is too expensive to keep buying samples every couple of months.
    For Sale: Gengis Kahn, Mona d' Orio, Penhaligons.

I received a sample from the generous Sultanpasha, the other day, and it's definitely different from how I remember it.

Not only is the juice now a yellowish tone (whereas the original was more of an orangey-brown) but the frankincense smells thinner, it's less dark in a woody sense and the rose is more at the forefront. At one point, I wasn't sure if I was smelling Homage or Tribute!

Thus, the newer batch is more of a hybrid of Homage and Tribute. As for the quality of the ingredients, my sample was too tiny to determine if there has been a significant drop. Besides, I was too confused about what I was exactly smelling.
    Last edited by Trebor; 26th November 2012 at 07:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I received a sample from the generous Sultanpasha, the other day, and it's definitely different from how I remember it.

Not only is the juice now a yellowish tone (whereas the original was more of an orangey-brown) but the frankincense smells thinner, it's less dark in a woody sense and the rose is more at the forefront. At one point, I wasn't sure if I was smelling Homage or Tribute!

Thus, the newer batch is more of a hybrid of Homage and Tribute. As for the quality of the ingredients, my sample was too tiny to determine if there has been a significant drop. Besides, I was too confused about what I was exactly smelling.
    That was my take as well, The frankincense was weak/nonexistent. I thought the smokey smell was too hickory smelling. A shame for such a classy expensive fragrance...Glad I didn't do a split, I would have been disappointed to the tune of over $300!

I think they've ruined both of these through reformulation, Only get the old bottles if you can as the difference is massive.

I recently bought a bottle of Tribute, in the red box. It smells almost exactly the same as the sample I have from 2010. The bottled is perhaps a bit more camphorous on top. The color also looks the same, and is orangey-brown, although it is hard to tell, as my sample is so small. I'll wear them side by side later in the week, and report back.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

The sample is tiny and a discernible difference is likely. Too expensive to take chances.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Post Thanks / Like

My take:

As someone who hasn't smelled the previous offerings and have a fairly new batch of Tribute, I can say it's still an amazing fragrance. Definitely still one of the strongest in my collection and smells absolutely like royalty (typical with Amouage.)

I hope I don't ever get to smell one of the older batches, I don't care what I'm missing, it's still fantastic. If you've never smelled it before, don't let the batch variations scare you away from at least trying it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    My take:

As someone who hasn't smelled the previous offerings and have a fairly new batch of Tribute, I can say it's still an amazing fragrance. Definitely still one of the strongest in my collection and smells absolutely like royalty (typical with Amouage.)

I hope I don't ever get to smell one of the older batches, I don't care what I'm missing, it's still fantastic. If you've never smelled it before, don't let the batch variations scare you away from at least trying it.
    Good, I am glad you got a hold of a 'good' batch. I really would like to splurge and get some, but like I said, the latest daub I tried on my arm was from a 0.25ml drop a perfume shoppe owner let me try. I may have had better luck if I could have mixed in in with unscented lotion, and applied it to a larger area. I do that with some very expensive oud oil I own, and it works well. Maybe I will take a gamble some time. BTW Starshipvelcro, were you the one who was discussing the possibility of doing a split of Tribute a few weeks/months ago? I can't remember who it was...

Post Thanks / Like

Same batch as Starship here, awesome stuff. Very little rose if any and pretty much same as my 1ml from 2009, super potent. I had to segregate the vial itself in a small Tupperware as its smelling up my entire room.... Not exaggerating. Smells like I have an incense store going on in the best way.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”