Code of Conduct

Question Something super citrusy?

Hi, I've read around a bit but can't seem to find a good answer/want something a bit more personalized. Pretty new to fragrances but I'm also really picky and need help sorting out what I would like. As background, I would like something that isn't ridiculously expensive, but I would be willing to go up to $100 if the fragrance was perfect. I LOVE citrus, but I have yet to find one that is exactly what I want. I would also like something that's fairly long lasting. If I could rub a mixture of lemons, limes, oranges and grapefruits on me and it would last all day without wasting all of that fruit, I would totally do it. I am a 19yo male but I don't mind wearing anything out of my age group or experimenting and am even open to women's fragrances if suggested.

What I have/have worn and why it isn't perfect:
    Hermes:
    D'ORANGE VERTE - There was something about it that smelt dirty and it was a total turn off.
    PAMPLEMOUSSE ROSE - I loved it, but I tried the concentrated one and I couldn't smell it after like 2 hours.

Yves Rocher:
    AGRUMES EN FLEURS - I really like it but I have to apply a lot to get a good, strong scent from it. I have applied it along with other fragrances but really haven't found a good combo and would prefer to just find one fragrance.
    COMME UNE EVIDENCE GREEN - Once again I'm getting a sort of dirty/earthy smell and I'd rather not smell like I was just dug up. Other than the dirty aspect to it, I like it. Not very citrusy though.
    HOMME NATURE - I get that same dirty smell but it's not as strong with this one. It's also not very citrusy and more grassy.

Bath and Body Works:
    CITRON - This fragrance is almost perfect. I love everything about it, but I still need more citrus and I would like the citrus to stay if possible. After a while I'm just left with the musky smell.

Hugo Boss:
    BOSS IN MOTION - It isn't that citrusy (or maybe not the right citrus) and is similar to the Citron in which you get the citrus and then move onto a musky smell.

I have tried a lot in store and never really fell in love with anything (I apply to card and body). I have other fragrances as well but they aren't citrusy and so I figured they wouldn't help. I would also prefer to wear the fragrance first to try it out instead of blind buying. I know a lot of the fragrance suggestions I've seen in other topics aren't very main stream but I'd prefer something I could order online and easily return, order samples for it, or I would prefer to just try it out in a local store (Dillard's, JC Penny, Belk, Sephora, etc. NO local Macy's, Nordstrom's, B. Goodman, Sak's, Bloomindale's, NM, etc.).

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Something super citrusy?

Try Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien and Hadrien Absolu! They're wonderful citrus fragrances. Very sharp, juicy and prominent. Like a burst of lemonade

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    Try Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien and Hadrien Absolu! They're wonderful citrus fragrances. Very sharp, juicy and prominent. Like a burst of lemonade
    Are they the same and one is just a parfum or do they smell differently?

Azemour les Orangers by Parfum d'Empire: a blend of neroli, orange, grapefruit, mandarin and citron, throw in a handful of oak moss and you have a fantastic citrus scent with a bitter/mossy edge.

You can't expect a realistic mono-citrus scent to have great longevity, citrus is fleeting by nature, the ones that last a long time will have a binding agent like musk. Aqua di Parma has several great citrus scents but don't expect more than 3-4 hours wear, but in return you get something juicy and natural smelling: Blu Mediterraneo Bergamotto di Calabria, Blu Mediterraneo Capri Orange

Perhaps Monsieur Balmain

Quote Originally Posted by juicycook View Post
    Are they the same and one is just a parfum or do they smell differently?
    I think there's a sligh difference between them with the cedar note but mainly these are edt and edp versions of a fragrance

A real lemony male scent is Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel, a lot of lemon.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    A real lemony male scent is Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel, a lot of lemon.
    I agree, and it's really elegant. For me the best one in Allure Homme family

Crown Imperial
    Olivier Durbano Citrine
    Last edited by Kron; 29th July 2012 at 12:45 PM.

Banned

Try:

Derring-Do for Men by Ineke
    - One is initially treated to a flurry of invigorating, citrus smells. This sparkling accord has sweet and sour aspects with the zingy grapefruit at the helm. Nascent, watery notes gather strength and come to the fore in a graceful wave of petrichor, that special smell of earth, caressed by raindrops after a dry spell, releasing its pent-up energy. Some metallic smell, perhaps, the exposure of minerals from the force of the rainfall, flutters about. Staid cyclamen joins to highlight its lightly floral greenness evoking thoughts of leaves bathing in a sun shower. These accords are quite refreshing, and trickle to the awaiting middle. Here, elegant magnolia infuses the chaste, rain notes with its creamy, lemony, floral goodness with ghosts of verdure. Also, a pepper note with its lively spiciness, as well as a cardamom note with its prickly smokiness add to the delight of the heart. Transitioning to its pleasing base, sweet and airy guaiacwood along with buttery and rich, Virginia cedarwood impart their delightful woodiness. And, a faintly powdery musk with its clean and fresh elements joins the satisfying woods to meander to the refreshful drydown. This bracing composition revels in the spring and summer, and has good projection and longevity.

&

Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma - Upon application, one is treated to a deluge of citrus. Orangey and slightly peppery bergamot, sweet and bitter orange, as well as lemon-scented verbena, all interplay in a sparkling, citric accord. This invigorating accord is showered by various spices, namely, a somewhat spicy and aromatic cardamom, a fruity and creamy, pink pepper, as well as a smooth and spicy, chili pepper. This diffusive brew percolates a bit, and meanders to the heart. Here, florals infuse the stimulating opening. A tutti-frutti jasmine, a sweet rose, a dusty orchid, and a sweetly balsamic and exotic ylang-ylang immerse the citrus mix. A faint undercurrent of spicy cedarwood carries the morphed melange to the base. Here, the cedarwood comes into its own, imparting its cypress-ish facets with their woody and piney aura. Patchouli adds its earthy and slightly musty aspects, while white musk imbues its faint soapiness. Magical amber supplies a somewhat dark and sweetish shading of resins and woods as well. The confluence of the foregoing leads to a comforting drydown. A truly unisex composition, it is higly versatile, and will accommodate a suit and tie as well as gentlemanly casual attire. This high-quality and elegant Eau de Cologne has good projection, a 2-3 hour, scent cloud before passing to a skin scent, and good longevity, at least 7 hours, and will shine in spring, summer, and fall.

&

I got more aquatic notes in Derring-Do, though there is a lemony/citrus opening. I just didn't get a lot from this fume, definitely there but not very strong to my nose..plus that's an indie one..not easily found in Macy's, Nordies, etc. I also found that Derring-Do quickly turns very musky on me.

Chemical Bonding by Ineke, I got a lot more citrus in that one(just my experience anyway) that one may just be up your alley a bit. But ya, that's indie as well. The Ineke sampler is 25 bucks, worth trying.
    Last edited by kalli; 29th July 2012 at 12:45 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

+1 for Eau Hadrien (imho the original ins much better than the absolut). Monsieur Balmain ins worth trying. Although in my opinion the lemon in this one is a bit more artifiial, especially i the beginning.

Eau De Guerlain and Eau de Cologne Imperiale. If you're up for an hefty price tag you could check a bunch of Xerjoff (e.g. Fiero, Nio and 1861).

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

You could also check out HM by Hanae Mori. It is mainly lemon with some vanilla/floral notes.

white citrus by bath and body works is actually pretty decent for this

You should really give Ed Hardy Love & Luck a try.

Dolce&Gabbana Light Blue Pour Homme has a really nice citrus scent although to me the projection is not all that great.... I personally think that Dolce&Gabbana Light Blue for women has a wonderful blast of Lemon and much stronger than the D&G LBPH. Even though D&G Light Blue is marketed for women I would not let that stop you from at least sampling it.... after all you can always tell people you are wearing D&G LBPH for men .
    Living each day one spray at a time

Quote Originally Posted by DieNase View Post
    +1 for Eau Hadrien (imho the original ins much better than the absolut). Monsieur Balmain ins worth trying. Although in my opinion the lemon in this one is a bit more artifiial, especially i the beginning.
    +2 for Eau D'Hadrien EDP. Grapefruit, Citron, and Lemon to the extreme. Also, the Concentre D'Orange Verte has less oakmoss/patchouli, and more citrus&fruity notes, proportionally. try that is you love the Eau.

If you like sweeter/fruitier citrus scents than Either of those, try Bond's Little Italy/Wall Street. Both very strong, sweet, fresh-citrusy EDP's. Although if you don't like Orange Crush soda, Little Italy might not be for you lol.

Creed's MI, SMW, and OV are their contemporary citrus-based offerings, try those.

And as for the natural, classic, stately, TIMELESS citruses:
    Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    If we're keeping this traditional EDC-style or truly classic citrus, no contemporary fruity citruses of citrusy aquatics....just citrus, citrus blossoms and leaves, and minor supporting notes, done in classic styles....

I would rank Truefitt's West Indian Limes, Fresh's Hesperides and Kilian's Prelude to Love highly but feel them too contemporary for a thread started by someone with the taste of the OP. so here goes....

1. Creed Selection Verte
    2. Maitre Parfumeur Et Gantier Pour Le Jeune Homme
    3. Lorenzo Villoresi Acqua Di Colonia

4. Parfums de Nicolai Cologne Sologne
    5. Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte
    6. Hermes Concentre D'Orange Verte
    7. Nicolai Balle De Match

8. Guerlain EDC Imperiale
    9. Creed Neroli Sauvage
    10. Nicolai Cedrat Eau De Cologne
    11. Brioni Eau De Parfum
    12. Guerlain Eau De Guerlain
    13. Acqua Di Parma Colonia
    14. Penhaligon's Eau De Cologne
    15. Roger & Gallet JMF Extra Vieille
    16. Creed Citrus Biggarade
    17. Miller Harris Tangerine Vert
    18. Annick Goutal Eau De Hadrien
    19. Trumper Eau De Cologne
    20. Creed Bois De Cedrat
    21. Guerlain Cologne Du Parfumeur
    22. Nicolai Cedrat Intense
    23. Maitre Fraiche Badiane
    24. Eau De Rochas Homme
    25. Malle Cologne Bigarade
    26. Dior Eau Sauvage
    27. Trumper GFT
    28. Acqua Di Parma Arancia Di Capri
    29. Czech & Speake Citrus Paradisi
    30. Guerlain Eau De Fleurs de Cedrat
    31. Chanel Eau De Cologne
    32. Trumper Extract of West Indian Limes

Of all the hundreds of citrus perfumes I've tried, those are the rough ranking of what I feel are the ones I can truly call "classic". Bolder are the ones which last a long time (relatively speaking) that I also never tire of wearing.
    - - - Updated - - -

I think the best in each category for citrus that actually has some acceptable lasting power are:

Lemon - Eau D'Hadrien EDP
    Grapefruit - Balle De Match
    Orange - Concentre D'Orange Verte
    Orange Blossom/Neroli - MPG Pour Le Jeune
    Lime - Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes

Try those before all else.

Crabtree & Evelyn - West Indian Limes

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I second the Chanel Allure Line for citrusy, particularly, Edition Blache.

For the best grapefruit citrus Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune. Brilliant whole grapefruit on a patchouli base. In a class of its own.

+1 Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Limes

For lemons Lancôme O de Lancôme but make sure it is O not one of the flankers

Basenotes Junkie

Diptyque Oyedo-Kind of a natural yet unnatural orange candy scent.
    Body Shop Satsuma-Awesome stuff-they just came out with a body spray which doesn't last super long, but at $14 bucks a bottle, you can't go wrong. Oyedo and Satsuma are very similar but Satsuma is better in my opinion, and CHEAPER!!
    Bond no 9 Little Italy-Fantastic Citrus-buy online for a lot cheaper.
    Bond no 9 Eau de New York-It's a lemony-rainy sort of scent...but I wouldn't buy it because you can get Art of Shaving Lemon for $75 bucks and it smells almost exactly the same with the same longevity.
    Atalier Orange Sanguine-Great citrus-dries down a little floral, you can get a 1.7 oz for about $90, BUT you can get a 6.7 oz for $140 so it's definitely worth it to go for the bigger (huge) bottle if you like it that much.

I love citrus scents. Like you, I'd happily rub the fruit on my skin, too.

As suggested Chanel Allure Homme Blanche - very citrus and fairly long lasting.
    The Trumper "GFT" is also very nice (Probably my next purchase.) Don't waste your time with Trumper's West Indian Limes. It smells of cheap lime cordial.

One that no-one has mentioned is Ortigia's "Lime di Sicilia." This is a straight to the point linear LIME. It smells freshly cut, natural and very refreshing without the least bit of toilet cleaner. Doesn't last very long on my skin, but then, no citrus scents do. It's fairly niche so you probably won't run into anyone else wearing it.

Another, that might be worth a try and won't hit your pocket is Eternity for men, Calvin Klein. A very safe, soapy, clean citrus that doesn't last longer than 20mins on my skin but I like that. I like that it reignites with a kiss or a whisper from someone close. It might last longer on you. A lot of the reviews on here describe it as being overpowering but it's all down to your own chemistry.

Unfortunately, citrus scents don't tend to have longevity unless you're in a warm, humid climate. Unfortunately, I'm not.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you settle on.

Basenotes Plus

My favorite Citrus smell is Selection Verte. It has a glorious opening, but lasts only 2 hours on my skin. I just carry an atomizer around with me. The mint in it yields a nice cooling effect when the fragrance is first applied.

Basenotes Member The New York Perfumista's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would definitely recommend Bond No. Little Italy and Bond No. Coney Island. Super citrus kick.
    My current Scent Addiction: Heeley Bubblegum Chic
    Twitter: @theNYperfumista

Atelier Cologne is your brand.
    They release only Cologne Absolues, Cologne with a Extrait concentration.
    Check out their fragrances, specially Orange Sanguine, Oolang Infini and Bois Blonds.

A big thanks to everyone for the replies! I have a list compiled and plan on trying all of the ones suggested. Feel free to suggest anymore that come to mind.

Major +1 for Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale. I took a sniff of that at TJ's (affordable!) and it was like I'd aimed a leafblower at my face and it was filled with lemons.