Code of Conduct

Smile Cheaper niche or less known brands that can be bought from within the UK.

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of any Cheaper Niche, or less known brands that I can buy in the UK? (The UK can be annoying sometimes for its lack of niche, or more likely it's me being bad at searching ) As I'm looking for something a bit different. Thanks.

Default Re: Cheaper niche or less known brands that can be bought from within the UK.

The only places I can think of that sell niche in the UK are:
    Harrods
    Selfridges
    John Lewis
    Les Senteurs

and my online fragrance shop of choice

www.audliebezumduft.de

Great selection, and although they are based in Germany, orders are delivered with about 3 days.

Most of my collection has been amassed online as finding niche in the UK, especially if you're not based in London is nigh on impossible.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Default Re: Cheaper niche or less known brands that can be bought from within the UK.

Niche is hard to find everywhere outside of big towns, not just the uk.

Cheap and niche can be mutually exclusive terms. Pretty much all niche start at about $90 for 50ml here in the USA. One that's cheaper and good is Parfums de Nicolai, which also comes in convenient 30ml bottles. I think there's a store in London, so you have to go there, though.

If you consider Lush a niche brand, its guerrilla perfumes are excellent and inexpensive, from smoky, avantgarde Breath of God to minty Dirty. I understand it's a british company, so I assume it should be easy to find there.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Matkinson View Post
    Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of any Cheaper Niche, or less known brands that I can buy in the UK? (The UK can be annoying sometimes for its lack of niche, or more likely it's me being bad at searching ) As I'm looking for something a bit different. Thanks.
    If you are looking for something different try Tabu from the firm Dana. You can usually find this at smaller british drugstores, sometimes large indoor markets, eg Swansea Indoor Market, Hereford Indoor Market, etc, etc.......
    It is a forgotten classic. I think you may find it interesting. It contains a whopping 40% patchouly and an unusual green note. You should be able to pick it up for around twelve quid.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

I understand (although this isn't from personal experience) that there are Penhaligon's 'outlet' stores dotted around, which should be fairly cheap - a discount from RRP at least. York seems to ring a bell, but as I say I haven't been to one myself, I just seem to recall reading about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post
    I understand (although this isn't from personal experience) that there are Penhaligon's 'outlet' stores dotted around, which should be fairly cheap - a discount from RRP at least. York seems to ring a bell, but as I say I haven't been to one myself, I just seem to recall reading about them.
    You're right, there is one in York. I think the fragrances there are around £40 for 100ml.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    Harrods
    Selfridges
    John Lewis
    Les Senteurs

www.audliebezumduft.de

Great selection, and although they are based in Germany, orders are delivered with about 3 days.
    This, and I'd add Liberty. Also, Santa Maria Novella has two shops in London, and Parfums de Nicolai has a tiny boutique in South Kensington. Diptyque can be found in Space NK, and you can also find brands like Tokyo Milk in John Lewis (it's not with the rest of the perfumes; it's near the candles) and Histoires de Parfums at Anthropologie.

A really well-kept secret is Angela Flanders, who makes her own perfume and sells it in her shop in Shoreditch, which is open only on Sundays from 10am - 3pm. She also sells through her daughter's shop, Precious, near Liverpool Street. Some really nice scents and not extremely expensive.

I think you can order online for most of these, and I vehemently endorse audliebezumduft.de (First in Fragrance).

Finally, I was just talking about these in another thread, but there are some really good cheaper perfumes out there that aren't very well known, that you can find at Cheapsmells.co.uk or FragranceNet. Like Jacomo Silences, Lancome Cuir, Tabu, etc.

A trip to London may be just the thing for you, though. Book well in advance and the train is very cheap!

Harrods
    Selfridges
    John Lewis
    Les Senteurs

www.audliebezumduft.de

Most of my collection has been amassed online as finding niche in the UK, especially if you're not based in London is nigh on impossible.
    Fenwicks also sell niche. The one in Newcastle has Creed, Tom Ford private blend, Chanel exclusifs, Armani privee, Miller Harris, Penhaligons, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Fenwicks also sell niche. The one in Newcastle has Creed, Tom Ford private blend, Chanel exclusifs, Armani privee, Miller Harris, Penhaligons, etc
    Ah yes, forgot about Liberty and Fenwicks. Which is odd as I'm waiting for an order from Liberty!

Everyone has mentioned where to go.

I'll +1 on Lush's fragrances - there are some real gems amongst them.

If we are talking cheaper, lesser-known brands, let's not forget the barbershop houses like Trumper's, D.R. Harris and (cough) Truefitt & Hill. Samples can be ordered from their websites or from Connaught Shaving ('If Good Service is Sought, Come to Connaught'). (no shill)

Check the Dover Street Market website for some Comme Des Garcons. Many of them are quite reasonably priced...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Lush is actually Canadian, not British.

www.audliebezumduft.de
    That's www.auSliebezumduft.de

Quote Originally Posted by showdown View Post
    Ah, yes that works much better - thanks! I want to check that place out...

+1 on CheapSmells as well. Ordered from them quite a few times and I think they are great for Customer Service and price.
    Also, a trip to London is well worth it. Why not make a weekend out of it and bring the family down? You will not get around all the places in a single day, believe me! The 'barbershop' houses as mentioned above are also worth a visit. Start in Green Park and work your way towards Piccadilly. You must also see Fortnum & Mason - good for testing, but not worth buying from there. Harrods is a must, as is Selfrdges.

How's about checking out Etat Libre D'Orange. They are not expensive. Escentual does a discovery set which is great fun, and you can redeem the cost against a full bottle. Les Senteurs in London sells the range too.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Ah, yes that works much better - thanks! I want to check that place out...
    No prob, it's been a pleasure. You guys should also check out another great German webshop (guess, we're into this kind of stuff):

http://shop.essenza-nobile.de/

And b4 somebody asks: no, I am neither the owner nor am I affilliated to or associated with any of the above-mentioned shops.

No prob, it's been a pleasure. You guys should also check out another great German webshop (guess, we're into this kind of stuff):

And b4 somebody asks: no, I am neither the owner nor am I affilliated to or associated with any of the above-mentioned shops.
    Hey showdown! Thanks for correcting the address in my post, hit 'd' instead of 's'. Great website you've opened our eyes to as well, just browsing now!

U r welcome mate. I don't know whether Essenza Nobile ships to the UK but I am happy to offer you any assistance that you guys need. Just contact me if you need help...

Cheerio
    Andy

Thanks so much. It looks great. I have been using Aus Liebe Zum Duft a lot. Their service is fantastic. I will check this one out too!

Dear andy, thanks for the reference to us.
    I' d just want to jump in and offer direct assistance on board here. We do ship worldwide ( so UK is covered )and have just lowered our shipping fees drastically.
    If there are any questions, just buzz me by Pm, I'll answer everything quickly.
    Employee @ Essenza Nobile
    Fan us @ Facebook
    Current love: Russian Tea by Masque Fragranze

Thanks for that, it looks like a nicely-made site.

Tokyo Milk is also sold at Bath and Unwind. I have not bought any, but I've bought cosmetics from them and had no issues with service or authenticity. They also carry some from Miller Harris. I'm not affiliated with this company in any way.

http://www.bathandunwind.com/bath-an...ody-fragrance/

- - - Updated - - -

Tokyo Milk is also sold at Bath and Unwind. I have not bought any, but I've bought cosmetics from them and had no issues with service or authenticity. They also carry some from Miller Harris. I'm not affiliated with this company in any way.

http://www.bathandunwind.com/bath-an...ody-fragrance/

Liberty in London stocks a huge range of normal and niche fragrances. It's the only place I know of that sells Profumi del Forte, for example, although I haven't checked Harrods.

I've found this thread really useful, so thanks to the OP!

It might not be your thing, but thought I'd mention Caldey Island Lavender as it's extremely cheap, & easy to buy online in the UK. Or you can buy it from the Caldey shop in Tenby should you ever visit Wales.
    http://www.caldey-island.co.uk/web/L...ry_Only%29.htm