Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Do People Give Hyped Fragrances More Leniency?

^Take that with a grain of salt usually when thing involved people filliping 2-3 times from its original cost.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    L'Homme La Nuit for example, are both highly hyped fragrances. I sampled them both on my skin twice each, and I thought they were both respectable, but I personally didn't like them.
    Ladies LOVE La Nuit, YOU personally might not like it but ask a woman in the store your testing in for their opinion. That's what I do, I could careless what a bunch of dudes think about a frag if women love it. But maybe that's just me..

Of course they do. Lots of leniency and extra consideration. If there are bunches of people who proclaim to be loyal fans of a fragrance it cries out to others - "come and join our club". People love to join up to be loyal fans of a brand. It is really a post modernist phenomena. Selective shopping has become the new tribal sport and the most discriminating consumers are the early adopters who get the ball rolling on sites like base notes. It is a major function of Basenotes, actually. Those who join together are the members of a special appreciation group - its like a collectors group that grow impromptu. Of course we love to talk out prized finds to establish the merits and importance of it all so the club grows bigger and we are on the ground floor. Its a entirely different social behavior than just the smell of a perfume for my aftershave. It is group art of scent appreciation. When the ball gets rolling and the hype is bubbling away, it is a major encouragement to others to want to join in on the fun. It is very much like joining a club - "The Aventus Appreciation Group", The Terre d' Hermes Loyalists, The Pure Malt Purists. It could almost be sports teams.
    TODAY'S ROTATION: Cologne du Parfumeur Dior Homme Cologne Sammarco Vitrum Mancera Black Line Azemour les Orangers Skive Canoe Peruvian Ambrette Palissandre d' Or Mississippi Medicine M/Mink LL Santal 33 L'Homme Eau Jardin d' Amalfi Maestrale

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Of course they do. Lots of leniency and extra consideration. If there are bunches of people who proclaim to be loyal fans of a fragrance it cries out to others - "come and join our club". People love to join up to be loyal fans of a brand. It is really a post modernist phenomena. Selective shopping has become the new tribal sport and the most discriminating consumers are the early adopters who get the ball rolling on sites like base notes. It is a major function of Basenotes, actually. Those who join together are the members of a special appreciation group - its like a collectors group that grow impromptu. Of course we love to talk out prized finds to establish the merits and importance of it all so the club grows bigger and we are on the ground floor. Its a entirely different social behavior than just the smell of a perfume for my aftershave. It is group art of scent appreciation. When the ball gets rolling and the hype is bubbling away, it is a major encouragement to others to want to join in on the fun. It is very much like joining a club - "The Aventus Appreciation Group", The Terre d' Hermes Loyalists, The Pure Malt Purists. It could almost be sports teams.
    Very insightful post...I wonder how much new niche lines are dependent upon a good reception here. Designers, not so much, as we 'fragrance nerds' are such a small section of the overall market.

Yes I am guilty of going with the hype!

Yes I have bought blind based on hype! You learn quickly though when you get your all exciting hyped bottle, then, after a week or so you realize that its just so NOT for you. After you have been bitten by the hype and followed up with a purschase (normally an expensive buy) you suddenly start to be wary of the personal influences of all the hype here in Base Notes!

But hey I love people especially Bner's who hype as it brings to my attention much more information, thought and alot more input then I would normally find on a single scent!

Keep hyping guys!