Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Do People Give Hyped Fragrances More Leniency?

I know that I'm certainly guilty of being biased towards popular fragrances here, so if an overwhelming majority of people on here say they love a fragrance and think it is a masterpeice, then I feel more obliged to try it, buy it, or at the very least give it a second chance if I don't like it.

Terre d'Hermes and L'Homme La Nuit for example, are both highly hyped fragrances. I sampled them both on my skin twice each, and I thought they were both respectable, but I personally didn't like them. If they hadn't been hyped on Basenotes, the truth is, I probably would have just sprayed it on a test card and walked away without any second thoughts.

Anyone else, honestly, guilty of at least sometimes being biased towards popular scents on Basenotes, as silly as it may seem?

Default Re: Do People Give Hyped Fragrances More Leniency?

No (personally)
    Last edited by Fraghead; 29th July 2012 at 11:29 PM.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Banned

Does "hype" mean a) something that is estimated by a broad variety of basenoters over a number of years or b) the metastatic spread of threads peering hard at one and the same scent? In the first case I'm always thankful for information, because it sometimes is a useful "guide" through the mass of fragrance releases each year.

In my case, can't really say I have.

Errrr, it depends on which BN social circle hypes it.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Junkie

I will definitely try the hyped frags when I see them and can test them because I want to see what the hype is all about. In response to the question posed as the topic "Do people give hyped fragrances more leniency?" All I have to say is are resounding 100% YES!!! Example Creed gets an ecstatic huge thumbs up from the vast majority of Basenoters-I almost feel that they can do no wrong even though many say that the longevity is severely lacking and they have batch variation issues, etc...and they are expensive. Yet, on the other hand Bond no 9 gets an overly ecstatic thumbs down from the majority of Basenoters-I almost feel that they can't do anything right even though they have amazing longevity and cost less than a lot of Creeds. Creed fragrances are fragrances, and Bond fragrances are fragrances, weird how that works, but some say that you can't pay enough for Creed, and you can't pay too little for Bond even though they both, yep, that's right, are fragrances-they both smell, crazy...I know. But, the hype of Creed makes it royalty, and the cursing of Bond makes it the spawn of satan.

I really don't want this to be a creed vs bond again...I'm just using it as an example, an overly dramatic example, but an example all the same. I judge each fragrance that I smell as...yep...a fragrance. I'm wild and crazy, I know.

i would say yes

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I please Guilty, with extenuating circumstances.

I dont know if I would call it bias. Of course i want to try something that everyone says is great. If I dont like it I may try to actually figure out why I dont like it so I can be part of a conversation and have an actual informed opinion. I always try things again even if the arent hyped because my taste changes frequently.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I'll try stuff that gets hyped around here, but if it sucks, I dont buy it. I also try stuff that isnt hyped.

- - - Updated - - -

to be fair, much of the hyped fragrances on BN are at least good. Even ones I dont like (ex Chergui), are good, just not for me.

Basenotes Plus

Leniency? If I don't like it after sampling 3 times, i never will.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    I dont know if I would call it bias. Of course i want to try something that everyone says is great. If I dont like it I may try to actually figure out why I dont like it so I can be part of a conversation and have an actual informed opinion. I always try things again even if the arent hyped because my taste changes frequently.
    Nicely put

If its hyped I would likely give it a try. But I only use other people's opinions as a starting point to try something or not. Once I try it, I just go with my own nose.

I was almost starting to think the exact opposite of your initial premise - it almost seems to me that some people like to be contrarian and thumb their nose at the hyped ones to avoid being part of the dreaded "mainstream" of thought.

And now that I think about it, I still can't figure out why everyone doesn't agree with me about everything...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

You can nit pick anything to death and eventually you'll find something you don't like about it. If anything they're judged more harshly because of unreal expectations. There's also those that want to hate because it's their nature.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche (Lemon)

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

Not at all for me! I use my own judgement.

Terre d'Hermes was reformulated badly and La Nuit de L'Homme sucks, by the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Errrr, it depends on which BN social circle hypes it.
    And this.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    errrr, it depends on which bn social circle hypes it.

lol

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    Terre d'Hermes was reformulated badly [...]
    Really? Reformulated because of "the IFRA-restriction of citrus oils", as someone on youtube commented?
    Last edited by Candide; 30th July 2012 at 06:35 AM.

Yes. Also I am biased towards fragrances that are bashed here badly and I rarely sample them (all sporty,aquatics flankers).
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I always get underwhelm by the over hyped fragrances

No, and personally I can find it rather off putting in some cases.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I seldom subscribe to popular opinions when it comes to personal tastes but I'll give the fragrance a fair shake. But I reckon a significant number of people would have some inherent bias from the psychosocial need to belong. It's natural. As long as you're aware of this phenomenon, you can be just as objective.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 30th July 2012 at 11:04 AM.

On Basenotes, I'd say: with below average frequency, even up to a clear, radical NO. In fact, here on Basenotes, most hyped fragrances, even the ones hyped on BN, are usually given constructive criticism, witty yet inoffensive banter, a more knowledgeable, informed and carefully detailed look, at least, more so than almost anywhere else.

I do tend to try the most hyped fragrances. I would not have thought to try Invasion Barbare without all the recent positive hype.

But after that, my nose decides. The list is long of "hyped" fragrances I don't like (Aventus, TDH pure parfum, etc.).
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

In the end I will always decide for myself, it just might take longer on a hyped fragrance. Trying to find what others have in it, trying to figure out what I don't get about it...all just puts a hold on the final decision.

I think I might be more susceptible to the opposite, if a fragrance gets a lot of hate and I do enjoy it, it might put a negative mark on it in my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    if an overwhelming majority of people on here say they love a fragrance and think it is a masterpeice, then
    . . . it really means nothing at all.

TV

I rest my case

Im not like this

I might test a fragrance twice rather than just once, if it's hyped here - just to make sure I haven't missed something. Occasionally I might change my mind, but I don't think I'm subsequently lenient if my view remains unaltered.

The scents I've most tested and only ever changed my mind on once, were those by Chanel. I changed my mind on Egoiste, but I'm still mystified as to why the rest are so highly rated.
    Regards,
    Renato

Banned
    Blog Entries

It must mean SOMETHING. I bet you are all more likely to try Terre d'Hermes than Voyage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    The scents I've most tested and only ever changed my mind on once, were those by Chanel. I changed my mind on Egoiste, but I'm still mystified as to why the rest are so highly rated.
    This, to the exact word.

I think it's more that people have positive feelings going into a sampling of LIDGE, MKK, MR, GIT, TdH, and the rest of the hyped ones, so unless they really dislike it they are more likely to say it's very good or great. Conversely, if it's considered aquatic, fresh, or "sport," there are negative thoughts going into the sampling.

I love A*men and recently purchased Pure Malt based upon all of the hype and was so disappointed. Does it smell good? ABSOLUTELY? Does it deserve the hype? UHH, NOOOOO. So, I'm guessing that the leniency thing may hold true in some cases.

^Take that with a grain of salt usually when thing involved people filliping 2-3 times from its original cost.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    L'Homme La Nuit for example, are both highly hyped fragrances. I sampled them both on my skin twice each, and I thought they were both respectable, but I personally didn't like them.
    Ladies LOVE La Nuit, YOU personally might not like it but ask a woman in the store your testing in for their opinion. That's what I do, I could careless what a bunch of dudes think about a frag if women love it. But maybe that's just me..

Of course they do. Lots of leniency and extra consideration. If there are bunches of people who proclaim to be loyal fans of a fragrance it cries out to others - "come and join our club". People love to join up to be loyal fans of a brand. It is really a post modernist phenomena. Selective shopping has become the new tribal sport and the most discriminating consumers are the early adopters who get the ball rolling on sites like base notes. It is a major function of Basenotes, actually. Those who join together are the members of a special appreciation group - its like a collectors group that grow impromptu. Of course we love to talk out prized finds to establish the merits and importance of it all so the club grows bigger and we are on the ground floor. Its a entirely different social behavior than just the smell of a perfume for my aftershave. It is group art of scent appreciation. When the ball gets rolling and the hype is bubbling away, it is a major encouragement to others to want to join in on the fun. It is very much like joining a club - "The Aventus Appreciation Group", The Terre d' Hermes Loyalists, The Pure Malt Purists. It could almost be sports teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Of course they do. Lots of leniency and extra consideration. If there are bunches of people who proclaim to be loyal fans of a fragrance it cries out to others - "come and join our club". People love to join up to be loyal fans of a brand. It is really a post modernist phenomena. Selective shopping has become the new tribal sport and the most discriminating consumers are the early adopters who get the ball rolling on sites like base notes. It is a major function of Basenotes, actually. Those who join together are the members of a special appreciation group - its like a collectors group that grow impromptu. Of course we love to talk out prized finds to establish the merits and importance of it all so the club grows bigger and we are on the ground floor. Its a entirely different social behavior than just the smell of a perfume for my aftershave. It is group art of scent appreciation. When the ball gets rolling and the hype is bubbling away, it is a major encouragement to others to want to join in on the fun. It is very much like joining a club - "The Aventus Appreciation Group", The Terre d' Hermes Loyalists, The Pure Malt Purists. It could almost be sports teams.
    Very insightful post...I wonder how much new niche lines are dependent upon a good reception here. Designers, not so much, as we 'fragrance nerds' are such a small section of the overall market.

Yes I am guilty of going with the hype!

Yes I have bought blind based on hype! You learn quickly though when you get your all exciting hyped bottle, then, after a week or so you realize that its just so NOT for you. After you have been bitten by the hype and followed up with a purschase (normally an expensive buy) you suddenly start to be wary of the personal influences of all the hype here in Base Notes!

But hey I love people especially Bner's who hype as it brings to my attention much more information, thought and alot more input then I would normally find on a single scent!

Keep hyping guys!