Code of Conduct

Default Hi, I'm a college student and I need new cologne.

I'm a 21 year old guy in college and I'm trying to change my overall appearance to be more attractive to women.

The colognes I have on me are:

- Liz Claiborne Lucky You

- Liz Claiborne Lucky Number 6 for Men

(These were blind buys for very affordable price.)

- Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

- Dolce & Gabbana The One for Men

(I "inherited" this from my dad)

From what I've read all of my cologne except the one is considered mid tier at best and I haven't any compliments at all. The new school semester begins soon and I'm looking to buy some more cologne. I am not sure what to get exactly, however I cannot spend too much on cologne.

I'm debating on whether to get:

- Black Soul by Ted Lapidus (I heard this a better alternative to 1 million)

- Ulysses by Vicki Tiel (I heard this is a hidden gem at a affordable price)

- Curve for Men (A five piece gift set for less than $30)

- Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

- Armani Code by Armani

Are any of these choices good? Are there better choices? Which should I buy?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hi, I'm a college student and I need new cologne.

Armani code is a good scent. Fahrenheit is a great scent.

Liz Claiborne Lucky No. 6 and Ulysses By Vicki Tiel are both great scents!
    Last edited by EarNoseThroat; 30th July 2012 at 10:26 AM.

The best choice for you is to get some self-confidence and self-belief. Why change who you are? Just for the record, fragrances do not get you women.

So bored of reading the same question every day from a new member who will most likely disappear after they've got the answer they want. Why not just use the search function or click on the 75 page long sticky at the top of the board?!
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Basenotes Junkie

Careful with Curve. It's definitely well liked by women, but I find that it smells extremely dated. -See the 90s thread.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    The best choice for you is to get some self-confidence and self-belief. Why change who you are? Just for the record, fragrances do not get you women.

So bored of reading the same question every day from a new member who will most likely disappear after they've got the answer they want. Why not just use the search function or click on the 75 page long sticky at the top of the board?!
    Ignore this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Ignore this guy.
    Why? This is my opinion. I'm more than entitled to it. Someone who is trying to change who they ultimately are is not being true to themselves. There are hundreds of threads on this same issue, why not use the search function? Don't you have a poll to create or something?
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Yep, personality, charisma, and looks will dictate the lady pull.

From your list I'd go with Armani Code but would test more at a local mall/boutique that carries a fairly large range of frags that can be tested at the counter. Case in point, my girlfriend bought me Fahrenheit one year for Christmas without me having ever smelled it first and was not a big fan, so obviously top sellers/well-received frags in certain communities doesn't always translate into a safe, inoffensive, universally enjoyed fragrance for some individuals.

YSL, Armani, Givenchy, JPG, and Chanel carry quite a few that appeal to younger adults so make an effort to stop at those counters.

I'd consider Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

May I suggest a bottle of Yves Saint Laurent's L'Homme. It is masculine, day or night, clean, sexy and can be purchased a most counters.

Tom Ford Neroli Portofino, it's really expensive but a sure shot

Not to nit pick (the search feature does work wonders) but some people may just be worried about posting questions into an old thread.... so they start a new thread asking for help thus increasing the chances that their question may be seen and answered.
    You are right self-confidence and self-belief play a huge part but a wonderful head turning scent can and often does boost ones self-confidence. Whereas one could be wearing a universality hated scent by the opposite sex and never know that is the reason women/men avoid them at all cost.
    Living each day one spray at a time

Don't underestimate the power scent has on attraction. A scent can't keep a woman interested but it can certainly attract her to begin with. It can also serve as a confidence booster for the wearer, hence boosting their self esteem. +1 for L'Homme. Or Dior Homme.

Ignore this guy.
    No he's right, however, I'm already working on those aspects about myself as well. Cologne is just a booster for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kr811 View Post
    No he's right, however, I'm already working on those aspects about myself as well. Cologne is just a booster for me.
    Kr811, fragrance is not a "magic potion" to ensnare women. Please don't see fragrance this way. Fragrance is only the icing on a cake.

The Vicky Tiel is a real find and sure to be unique! Great bottle for the vanity!

I would be inclined to go for Fahrenheit as it is unlikely to be worn by young men your age. If your are looking to set yourself apart, try this one.

Otherwise, just wear what you enjoy and be happy about it. Again, be sure of yourself and wear the scent of your choice.

It's just as silly for a young woman to wear fragrance just because she thinks men will come sniffing around her like bucks in a rut, or wear certain clothing to attract men.

Be yourself and let your charm do the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    Don't underestimate the power scent has on attraction. A scent can't keep a woman interested but it can certainly attract her to begin with. It can also serve as a confidence booster for the wearer, hence boosting their self esteem. +1 for L'Homme. Or Dior Homme.
    I think you are overestimating the importance of fragrance for women.

A man need only be bathed and well-groomed and smell pleasant--the scent itself is immaterial. The rest is up to his charm and personality and other things he has going for him.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th July 2012 at 07:22 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I think you are overestimating the importance of fragrance for women.

A man need only be bathed and well-groomed and smell pleasant--the scent itself is immaterial. The rest is up to his charm and personality and other things he has going for him.
    I don't think I am overestimating anything. I didn't say that a scent will attract and keep a woman. I said that it can serve as a starting point. The rest is obviously up to him. I've never liked a guy ONLY because of his cologne but it has certainly caught my attention a time or two. My reply was more a reaction to the guy who I felt was being a bit harsh and overeacting to this young man's post.

Kr811 said that he wanted to change his overall appearance to attract more women. He came here for advice on the fragrance aspect of it. Nothing wrong with wanting to improve yourself. Starts on the inside but a little juice never hurt anyone.
    Last edited by Infinity; 30th July 2012 at 08:15 PM.

Purely my individual opinion - from your list I would say Fahrenheit - very sexy on the right guy.
    also try chanel allure homme sport & L'instant De Guerlain and see what you think.

Fragrance is just one factor though :-)

Banned

I agree with your choice of Black Soul by Ted Lapidus; my impressions thereof ↓↓↓ may be helpful for you.

Black Soul by Ted Lapidus - Upon application, one is treated to a pleasing blend from the interplay of a bittersweet and peppery bergamot, a crisp and fresh, lemon blossom, a spicy cardamon, a slightly indolic neroli and a refreshing mint. Consequently, an all-too-familiar, sweet and spicy, bubble-gum smell materializes and wafts to the waiting heart. Here, in the middle, the bubble-gum-ish opening is immersed in an enveloping bath of fruity, medjool dates and raisins, sweetly warm and earthy cinnamon, and a hay-like and slightly honeyed floral from saffron. Transitioning to the alluring base, Chinese cedarwood imparts its camphoraceous, pencil shaving scent, while tolu balsam infuses its balsamic and cinnamic facets. A sweet and airy woodiness from gaiacwood also presents. Ambrocenide contributes its amber-like, woody character, while musk diffuses its soft and sweetly clean nuances. A comforting drydown ensues. This masculine, refined composition has average projection and average longevity, lasting about 8 hours.

&

- Curve for Men (A five piece gift set for less than $30)
    Get this, but don't bother with the gift set. Just buy a bottle at Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx. It'll cost less than $25. Some people like the Curve flankers, but the original Curve is what gets compliments like crazy. I have no idea why, but it does. Especially on a 1st date.

- Fahrenheit by Christian Dior
    Try it. If you like it, go for it. This one's a classic that doesn't smell dated at all.

- Armani Code by Armani
    Again, try it. If you like it, go for it. This one could eventually become a classic.

Out of your choices, I like Black Soul and The One by D&G. I would also recommend considering a fresh scent as well. It's cliche, I know, but I wouldn't overlook something like Armani's Acqua Di Gio, or even Davidoff's Cool Water. Sure, they are worn by tons of guys, but they are almost universally appealing to women.

This is actually good advice that sticky has some good stuff in it.
    Last edited by Stayclose; 30th July 2012 at 11:43 PM.

hugo by hugo boss

+1 on the L'Homme recommendation.
    La Nuit De L'Homme is my personal favorite, but I see it more as a night scent.
    If it's not out of your budget, Chanel Allure is wonderful.

In respect to the argument on fragrances and attraction/self-confidence boosting: Yes and no. I agree with both sides. Fragrances aren't potions invented for the purpose of pulling in women/men. They are however a part of the game.

Confidence/motivation: Spraying on a fragrance doesn't boost your confidence, on its own. However, knowing you have something over others (a unique, nice, etc., scent) does. If I know I'm a little different, in a good way, it boosts my confidence.
    Talking to the ladies/men: Can't stress this enough. Compliment getters are a wonderful way of getting a conversation going. Ex of a recent conversation with a random girl I met outside a restaurant while waiting:
    Her: Excuse me, what is that cologne?
    Me, with a smile: Thierry Mugler's Pure Malt. Why, how does it smell?
    Her: It's really nice!
    Me: Thank you, are you into fragrances as well? Your perfume smells really nice...
    The conversation went on and we eventually ended up talking about other things, completely unrelated to fragrances.

I personally love when people compliment my fragrances, especially the ladies!

Welcome Kr811!!

Fahrenheit is great. I also love Dior Homme.

You're a young guy & change is a natural progression in life. Do what pleases you & choose what you like, the rest will happen naturally. Self-confidence is a great aphrodisiac!

I am also thinking of getting Kouros Body by YSL and Obsession Night by C. Klein. Are these good choices? The colognes I'm confirmed to get are Fahrenheit and Armani Code.

Few things get my shackles up, but...

IMHO this is the rudest response I've seen in the "Just Starting Out" section. Thank you for not responding to my mundane questions. I thought new members could come to this thread to find acceptance & ask their ever-so-before-mentioned queries to find a starting point in a genuine interest. I don't think it's really intended to keep your personal boredom at bay.

Honestly, if you're just getting started, you don't need to go nuts buying a ton of frags. It gets expensive quick. Three is two more than I had in college

Curve: Women love it.
    Fahrenheit: Manly! And awesome.
    ...plus something classy as a 3rd scent. Armani Code fits the bill.

What matters most is that you pick scents YOU like, that you think smell good on you, and that will be wearable when you need them. With a trio of scents like that, you've got one for dates, one for hanging out and one that's really classy. That's a heck of a good start. You really don't have to blow a ton of money to get started. Looking at those three choices, you get one women love, plus a manly classic that smells modern and a newer one that will probably become a classic. That's about as good as it gets.

If you smell Curve and don't like it, Dior Homme or YSL L'homme are excellent choices.

Curve is dirt cheap, so frankly, just buy it. A small bottle is like $15 at Ross. For everything else, go to Sephora and ask for samples. Wear each sample for two days. Maybe three. Let your nose decide.

The only other one I might recommend is Nautica Voyage. It costs $20 and is perfect for HOT weather when sweeter stuff would get cloying.

OH - and last but not least, go easy on the trigger with whatever you buy. You don't want to be Cologne-Guy. You just want to be the guy who smells great.

One of the best scents for college age has to be Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce. The ladies will love it.

Women love Fahrenheit.

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    Few things get my shackles up, but...

IMHO this is the rudest response I've seen in the "Just Starting Out" section. Thank you for not responding to my mundane questions. I thought new members could come to this thread to find acceptance & ask their ever-so-before-mentioned queries to find a starting point in a genuine interest. I don't think it's really intended to keep your personal boredom at bay.
    This was not originally posted here, but on the main discussion board; it was moved here. Had it been here to start with, the response would have been entirely different. If you are a regular on the Male Fragrance Discussion board, you will realise that this question is asked almost daily and I am not the only member to get fed up of reading and responding to it.

This however, is the correct place for such posts. I see the discussion board as a place to talk about various fragrances and their individual merits, rather than find something to attract women. So I apologise if my response offended you, but I feel you should know the context of the post before "getting your shackles up". Have a good day.

So much hate in this thread.

Jeez calm down peeps.
    Expect the unexpected.

Armani code is a good scent. Fahrenheit is a great scent.
    +1 Agree.

Wearing a quality fragrance won't change your appearance in the eyes of women. However, it is a booster of confidence, which women do tend to like.

That being said if I were to choose from your list I would go with Armani Code.

If I were on a budget and looking to do the same I would choose Hugo Boss Bottled simply for the versatility and price point. It has been well-received by women every time I go out...day/night & summer/winter.

Cool Water
    The Dreamer
    Encre Noire (test before you buy, it's different)
    l'eau d'Issey
    Michael Kors
    and if you wanna be brave and smell totally different, get Brut

Just an update to my previous post. My order came in yesterday.
    Black Soul is very similar to 1 Million. Definitely more wearable. I can see it as an all day, all season fragrance since it is not too strong. Definitely a great buy.
    The Dreamer is nice too, not a fan of the opening but the dry down is nice.