Code of Conduct

Default Hello...Terre D'Hermes vs Aramis Tuscany.

Firstly, let me start by say hello! to everyone. This is my 1st thread, although I have lurked for a great many years.

For about 4yrs I've had a bottle of Terre D'Hermes After Shave Balm sitting on the bathroom shelf, unopened. It was a gift with which I also received the underarm spray. I used the underarm aerosol a few times as an air freshener and found it to be a bit too powerhouse-y, thus, I never opened what I actually thought was a cologne. Anyway, for what ever reason today was the day I opened the balm and tried it. I finding it fairly pleasant thus far but it's creating this overwhelming nostalgia, one that has me thinking it is unbelievably like Aramis' Tuscany. I was familiar with this a great many years ago and used the balm. So I'm wondering...Is it just a balm thing or are these two similar in any way?

Is it worth exploring the Terre D'Hermes EDT? (Given that I don't really like powerhouse fragrances and don't want another Tuscany.)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Hello...Terre D'Hermes vs Aramis Tuscany.

Welcome to BN

I do not find them similar, personally.

The Hermes has that prominent orange note and it's overdosed with synthetic wood notes (the Iso-e-super) so it has a sort of sparkly radiance to it. The Aramis is a bit more solid, with that wonderful and unique bergamot/geranium/patchouli combo that creates a luxurious pungency. I personally think that only vintage Tuscany is any good, the new stuff is a little too sharp for my tastes.

Why don't you get a sample of both & wear them for a few weeks before you decide on a full bottle? I don't think you can properly gauge the wearability of TdH from smelling the after shave balm though, you need to smell/wear the actual fragrance.
    Selling used bottles of vintage Heritage Eau de Parfum (Guerlain), Anima Dulcis (Arquiste), Noel au Balcon (ELDO), Santal de Mysore (Serge Lutens), Aedes de Vensutas (L'Artisan) and more, click HERE

Definitely worth exploring Terre D'Hermes which is much better than Tuscany IMO.

Hardly any similarity, thus, worth testing IMO.

I just don't seem able to get along with Aramis Tuscany.

TdH, on the other hand, is superb!!

I don't find many similarities in the modern incarnations, so perhaps it's a balm thing. As others have said, Tuscany is herbal, while TdH is citrusy and woody-flinty/sparkly. I like the current Tuscany a lot (but haven't tried vintage) - I like TdH too but it's not a big wow. In any case, TdH is definitely not a powerhouse. On the contrary, it is designed to be more muted. If you like it, you can explore - it should be widely available, so you can spray in store.

cacio

I own both but do not find many similarities between the two. I should mention I have been wearing Tuscany since I hunted T-Rex so I am a big fan. Every so often I still get a bottle and always wind up finishing it. I also find TDH to be a very nice scent also. Both are readily available to sample.

Thanks for the replies/advice. I'll check it out.

I suspected the EDT's wouldn't be remotely similar but I just can't get my head around the similarity in the balms. I knew it was probably a long shot asking if anyone had tried both balms as I know these don't tend to be very popular.

I've never tried the reformulated Tuscany, mikeperez23, I'm intrigued.

I have fond memories of stealing some of my Fathers original formula as a young teenager, but like you HDD8, I didn't get on with it very well either. That's why I bought myself the balm (very mild and stays close, which I like.) Sniffing the Hermes took me straight back there.

Sound Scents

Both are worthy scents and I love them both, but personally prefer Terre d'Hermes which I find dissimilar to Tuscany.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie