Code of Conduct

Default What is my nose trying to tell me? Terre D'Hermes, Michael Kors, Azzaro Visit and Encre Noir

I got a bunch of samples this week. I had the exact same negative reaction to four frags that don't seem to have much in common other than being woody, but I enjoy woody frags. Each of these four has a strong smell that I find hard to describe. It's almost orange, but not quite like the fruit orange and not natural. Are they each using a chemical my nose reacts to? Something in all four smells the same to my nose, that that smell IS LOUD.

- Terre D'Hermes
    - Azzaro Visit
    - Michael Kors
    - Encre Noir

The smell is especially strong in Azzaro Visit and Terre H'hermes EDT (I haven't tried the PP). Iso E Super, maybe? I'd really like to understand because all four of these should be right up my alley. Instead, I have a very strong negative reaction to them.

...what's the missing link?

Default Re: What is my nose trying to tell me? Terre D'Hermes, Michael Kors, Azzaro Visit and Encre Noir

I guess it's pepper that's disturbing loud to your nose. Haven't tried or read about Michael Kors though..
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Dependent

Default Re: What is my nose trying to tell me? Terre D'Hermes, Michael Kors, Azzaro Visit and Encre Noir

Not familiar with MK, but the other three are very heavy on the Iso E, which is a neutral but penetrating woody aromachemical. It's not orangey however. It's clear from a lot of posts on here that some people are very sensitive to it while others can barely smell it. Try a spritz of Molecule 01 some time to find out. That's nearly pure Iso E.

Possibly, but I don't think pepper is the dealbreaker here. It smells like a chemical sharpness. It really hits me in both Terre D'Hermes edt and Azzaro Visit. They both have such a similar orangey (bot not the fruit orange) smell to my nose. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

Gucci Pour Homme 1 (2003) and Azzaro visit both have pink pepper, but I adore Gph1.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Not familiar with MK, but the other three are very heavy on the Iso E, which is a neutral but penetrating woody aromachemical. It's not orangey however. It's clear from a lot of posts on here that some people are very sensitive to it while others can barely smell it. Try a spritz of Molecule 01 some time to find out. That's nearly pure Iso E.
    When I say orangey, I don't mean the color of the juice. I just mean there's a weird sort of chemical smell that I can't describe. When I first smelled Terre D'Hermes, I just figured that was a smell some people must love. But then I smelled it again so strongly in Azzaro Visit even though I didn't see any notes in common other than cedar. But then there it was again in Encre Noir, which has no cedar (not to mention that what I smell smells nothing like cedar).

I think the issue with MK is that it's very much a love or hate fragrance. I personally do not like it. It just doesn't smell good to my nose. Perhaps you just don't like these particular fragrances? There's nothing to say that you have to like everything you try.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

I think its the ISO E Super

for swap/sale:

I'm almost 100% certain it's ISO-E Super. The major clue was the "unnatural orange" comment - traditional synthtic orange flavoring is made from woody esters that have a plasticky woody quality to them - much like ISO-E Super.

I usually can't handle ISO-E Super, but I enjoy it in Terre d'Hermes. It ruins Kors for me.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Could be either pepper or ISO-E Super, but I'd lean to the latter as the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    I'm almost 100% certain it's ISO-E Super. The major clue was the "unnatural orange" comment - traditional synthtic orange flavoring is made from woody esters that have a plasticky woody quality to them - much like ISO-E Super.

I usually can't handle ISO-E Super, but I enjoy it in Terre d'Hermes. It ruins Kors for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

+1 I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    I think the issue with MK is that it's very much a love or hate fragrance. I personally do not like it. It just doesn't smell good to my nose. Perhaps you just don't like these particular fragrances? There's nothing to say that you have to like everything you try.
    The problem is that I'm picking up a uniquely similar smell in scents that otherwise don't seem to have that much in common. Michael Kors, for example. I love 95% of what I'm smelling there, but something offensive wrecks it for me, so I'm trying to figure out what that something is. In MK, it's only an annoyance, but in Terre D'Hermes and Azzaro Visit, it's overwhelming. I expected to love Visit... woods, incense, nutmeg, bergamot? Sign me up!!! ...but something else totally covers up those and overwhelms me.

I guess I'm going to have to buy a sample of Molecule 01 to find out if it's Iso E.

I hadn't worn MfM Kors in a long time so I sprayed some on about an hour ago. Yes, there is a strong musk here and there might be some iso e super too, but it seems like the tobacco, dried fruit, and tobacco are sort of keeping it in line (though it may not work that way for you). If it's not a nasty/"synthetic" kind of musk, I can't imagine what would tie these together.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 30th July 2012 at 12:31 PM.

I don't think it is Iso E Super that is causing that "chemical sharpness" in TdH, and it is most definitely not whats in Michael Kors. I get the chemical smell in TdH as well, and yet I have Declaration Essence and Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee, both of which have just as much Iso E in them as TdH, and no problems with them. So I think there is some other synthetic in TdH that causes that (of me, its almost random, some days TdH smells bad and chemically, other days it smells the way the notes say they should). I think the chemical smell is caused by whatever creates the flint/mineral note, but just exaggerated, your nose has become sensitive to it.

The note in Michael Kors that ruins it for me is a synthetic musk, clearly, and it behaves like a nasal irritant like black pepper does. Its the same musk in a lot of stuff (The One for Men, Lacoste Homme, Mont Blanc Presence, and a lot of Hugo Boss stuff). I am super sensitive to this musk and it totally overwhelms my perception of these frags. Interestingly I have applied a tiny amount of MB Presence, and the nasty musk then does not smell bad at all, it actually smells a lot like the Sequoia wood note thats in B*Men which explains why when I overapply B*Men, it gets "scratchy".

I actually have to agree with Andym72. I used to think it was the iso e that was the problem in TdH and others, but I think it's whatever they're using as the 'flint' note - some kind of pepper/woody aromachemical. And yes, it's in Visit in spades, too. It's a shame because it ruins these frags for me.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

ow, I love them all, except by MK which i have not tried yet. I would say its the bergamot note. Its a strong and sharp citrusy note that fades fast in Visit but lasts for long time in TdH. By the way, i found the exactly smell in Declaration. I find many things in common between Declaration and TdH, maybe because of JC Ellena. Its synthetic but not bad in my opinion.How many people find natural smelling scents smells like bug, for example...

Banned
    Blog Entries

That you are perfectly valid in not liking popular fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I got a bunch of samples this week. I had the exact same negative reaction to four frags that don't seem to have much in common other than being woody, but I enjoy woody frags. Each of these four has a strong smell that I find hard to describe. It's almost orange, but not quite like the fruit orange and not natural. Are they each using a chemical my nose reacts to? Something in all four smells the same to my nose, that that smell IS LOUD.

- Terre D'Hermes
    - Azzaro Visit
    - Michael Kors
    - Encre Noir

The smell is especially strong in Azzaro Visit and Terre H'hermes EDT (I haven't tried the PP). Iso E Super, maybe? I'd really like to understand because all four of these should be right up my alley. Instead, I have a very strong negative reaction to them.

...what's the missing link?
    Personally I am very fond of TdH, but everyone is entitled to like or not like any scent.

What you describe does not sound at all like Iso E Super, which has no orangey element to it at all. It isnt a musk either - its normally described as woody-ambery. There will be synthetic musks in all those and it might be one of those that you are hyper-sensitive too (some musks are quite fruity, such as ambrettolide for example and people experience them differently).

Keep in mind that those scents are almost entirely synthetic with only a small percentage of naturals (<10%).

I know that TdH uses synthetics to create the orange note and it seems likely that might be the culprit - one common and very powerful chemical used for this purpose is beta-naphthyl methyl ketone: I think its much more likely to be beta-naphthyl methyl ketone causing offence than Iso E Super in your case.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Im happy to quote: if you want free advice, thats what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    I know that TdH uses synthetics to create the orange note and it seems likely that might be the culprit - one common and very powerful chemical used for this purpose is beta-naphthyl methyl ketone: I think it’s much more likely to be beta-naphthyl methyl ketone causing offence than Iso E Super in your case.
    Interesting! I wonder if that's why I keep associating the smell with orange even though it doesn't smell like oranges to me...? I wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    That you are perfectly valid in not liking popular fragrances.
    I'm not looking for permission to not like them. These four are filled with notes I adore, but I'm smelling something in common in all four that kills all four for me, and I'm trying to learn what that is. In fact, I specifically pointed out that I love most of what I'm smelling in Michael Kors, except for one note or tiny part of the overall composition that kills it for me. Again, my point here is trying to figure out what it is that I'm smelling in all four of these because something in all four is a wreck to my nose.

It's easy for me to smell something like Lalique White or Varvatos Vintage and pick out what I don't like (too much pepper). But these four have something in common that I hate but I can't figure out what it is, and I'm not seeing it in the notes.

When I smell something in common that is a big yes or no to my nose, I think it's important to learn what that something is. But, hey, that's just me.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 30th July 2012 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Most definitely...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here