Thread: Ysl m7

Super Member freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ysl m7

Has it been discontinued?

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ysl m7

Yes and no. The 'original' formulation (though there have been several re-formulations) in the brown bottle is no longer available. Instead, you can now purchase M7 Oud Absolu, which is the new version of M7.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What Fraghead said. ^ ^ ^ ^

The original M7 in full brown/amber bottle has been discontinued, but still available if you look around (although it is really hard to find).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    What Fraghead said. ^ ^ ^ ^

The original M7 in full brown/amber bottle has been discontinued, but still available if you look around (although it is really hard to find).

Some of the fragrance shops in my city have it, but only the 50ml bottle. I'm looking around for a 100ml one, don't really appreciate the smaller sized bottles.

I have seen it also in a scant few shops, but mostly gone.

It's been repackaged and re-named -- M7 Oud -- exactly the same scent though. Pour Homme and Rive Gauche have suffered the same fate. You'll just have to pay more. A blatant rip by YSL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    It's been repackaged and re-named -- M7 Oud -- exactly the same scent though. Pour Homme and Rive Gauche have suffered the same fate. You'll just have to pay more. A blatant rip by YSL.
    Are you sure it's EXACTLY the same? I thought it had different top notes (read: fewer) and a heavier oud base than before.
    "Flagrantly fragrant and they can't escape me. My perfume pursued them everywhere that they went.
    You don't want a loan, leave my cologne alone. It's a little too strong for you to be putting on".
    - Lupe Fiasco

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

It most certainly is not exactly the same -- spray each arm and compare side by side if you don't believe me. There is considerably more amber in the vintage juice, while the new is dryer and leaner, with more myrrh. I prefer the new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    It most certainly is not exactly the same -- spray each arm and compare side by side if you don't believe me. There is considerably more amber in the vintage juice, while the new is dryer and leaner, with more myrrh. I prefer the new stuff.
    Thanks MonkeyBars.....All of the classic fragrances that have been reformulated are not bad!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    I walked around a bit with RG and M7 samples for a while and they both smelt the same as the originals -- what can I say. Believe what you want to believe and pay the xtra.

Post Thanks / Like

I walked around a bit with RG and M7 samples for a while and they both smelt the same as the originals -- what can I say. Believe what you want to believe and pay the xtra.
    One thing is clear: the two are very close to each other.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

The differences are subtle at first, as the top and heart notes are nearly identical. After 2 hours though, M7 is sweetly balsamic, while OA is dry, crisp, and earthy. As the earlier accords burn off, you're left with a very, very different drydown. 8 hours in, M7 is all rich sweet vanillin and musk, while OA is spiky patchouli, myrrh, and cedar.

Post Thanks / Like

I've sampled both versions - I have some of the old version and I had a spray of the new in a store. It wasn't direct side-by-side, so I really can't say for sure - but they are at least very similar.
    Alan

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to find this but having no luck in Ontario at all.. know of any retailers that still have them in stock? Maybe I could convince a store to ship it to me..

Post Thanks / Like

Try eBay

I am glad I have two 3.3 vintage bottles in storage.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

M7 is currently discontinued. It is available online ($100 for 100ml), which is much more expensive than it used to be due to decreased supply. Any bottles of M7 sold are entirely ones that didn't sell when they were released.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm having trouble identifying which sellers are legit and don't really trust any im seeing.. I read a thread about tips on identifying fakes on eBay but it still seems like a lot of guesswork. Noirdrakkar, any reputable places you know of? I'll gladly pay that price!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The best formula yes!

Tacky, I know, but I do happen to have a near full bottle of the original on the swap right now. Just saying, if anyone is interested. Thanks, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't stand the original (I mean the original's reformulation), but was very impressed by Oud Absolu recently.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Some of the fragrance shops in my city have it, but only the 50ml bottle. I'm looking around for a 100ml one, don't really appreciate the smaller sized bottles.
    Do you know of any shop in mumbai, which carries it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benzganesh View Post
    Do you know of any shop in mumbai, which carries it?
    Try out this store called Parcos, they have shops in Delhi which have few bottles of M7 and M7 Fresh left. Some other fragrance store might have some old stock. No point in trying at Shoppers' Stop.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been repackaged and re-named -- M7 Oud -- exactly the same scent though.
    No...it's not.

Post Thanks / Like

M7 has been discontinued and M7 Oud Absolute has been introduced as the flagship product of the M7 lineup. M7 Fresh (a flanker )is discontinued.
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

Post Thanks / Like

Try out this store called Parcos, they have shops in Delhi which have few bottles of M7 and M7 Fresh left. Some other fragrance store might have some old stock. No point in trying at Shoppers' Stop.
    Thanks ill check for parcos kemp corner, if should any luck should present itself.

- - - Updated - - -

HEY BUDDY! Thanks a lot! i manage to send a friend an pick up 50ml of vintage M7 (pre-formulation) which cost somewhere around 60 USD not bad; the real deal was a 50ml M7 Fresh for just 30 USD! what a steal! long live parcos mumbai! - I am going to go to chennai in a month and hope to hunt somethere! India the land of M7!
    Last edited by benzganesh; 18th September 2012 at 06:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benzganesh View Post
    Thanks ill check for parcos kemp corner, if should any luck should present itself.

- - - Updated - - -

HEY BUDDY! Thanks a lot! i manage to send a friend an pick up 50ml of vintage M7 (pre-formulation) which cost somewhere around 60 USD not bad; the real real was a 50ml M7 Fresh for just 30 USD! what a steal! long live parcos mumbai! - I am going to go to chennai in a month and hope to hunt somethere! India the land of M7!
    I'm glad that you got what you were looking for. I'm yet to try the M7 in the new packaging, it is yet to hit the stores in India. The M7 that your friend picked up is probably the reformulated version (brown bottle and box, 1st(?) reformulation), and not the original vintage (brown bottle and box, original formulation of 2002), which is the same one as I have, and is very good.

I feel quite sad that M7 Fresh has been discontinued. I really like it, and it seems perfect for those early spring evenings. And it is a very unique scent, going by the responses I received to a post of mine about fragrances similar to M7 Fresh. I know I'm going to miss it once my bottle runs out a few years from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    No...it's not.
    Agreed. Got a sample of Oud Absolu last week, hated it. Got a bottle of the vintage today, and it's fantastic so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad that you got what you were looking for. I'm yet to try the M7 in the new packaging, it is yet to hit the stores in India. The M7 that your friend picked up is probably the reformulated version (brown bottle and box, 1st(?) reformulation), and not the original vintage (brown bottle and box, original formulation of 2002), which is the same one as I have, and is very good.

I feel quite sad that M7 Fresh has been discontinued. I really like it, and it seems perfect for those early spring evenings. And it is a very unique scent, going by the responses I received to a post of mine about fragrances similar to M7 Fresh. I know I'm going to miss it once my bottle runs out a few years from now on.
    Thanks again - the m7 i found was vintage juice (red amber bottle through out on all sides) and m7 fresh was 50% off and on sale as a last bottle, i believe the reformulated version has red on its front fascia only and is see through on other 3 sides; i did try to be meticulous with this! - but you are right; M7 will be really missed!