Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cuir by Lancome from Amazon: fake, old, reformulated?

Hello everyone

It has been a couple of weeks since I got my Cuir and I still haven't made my mind about it, it was quite a disappointment. I apologize for another Cuir thread but the threads I found on the Cuir from Amazon topic didn't provide me with the info I needed.

Recently, I received a sample from a kind BNer and was taken by Cuir. Immediately, I placed an order through Amazon. I bought straight from Amazon, not third party seller. When I received my order I found the bottle to be leaking, very cheaply made where the cap wouldn't even fit on top of sprayer properly, and the sealed portion around glass neck looked like a homemade craft project. The smell was so harsh and chemical: it did smell similar to the sample I had, but had nothing of the original richness and softness.

I called Amazon, they refunded my money and allowed me to do with the bottle as I pleased, i.e. toss it in the trash. I still don't have a heart to do that, but I am not using it either.

BNers familiar with Cuir, please help me. Question is, what happened to it? Was it fake, old, or reformulated? Where can I get the original? I am not placing another order with Amazon.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cuir by Lancome from Amazon: fake, old, reformulated?

I bought mine quite cheaply from TKMaxx(UK version of TJMaxx), a few years back. Sealed but the plastic top did not seem to fit very well, I had to click it into place myself, the round plastic neck bit. Cuir de Lancome does start out quite harsh and tanners yard like. Sometimes from mine I swear I get a BO like odour going on. Yet others compliment me on it.

The original wouldn't be available now unless perhaps ebay under vintage. The one which came out and everyone is raving about it a reformulated version(I cannot see them Lancome breaking the new banned ingredients rules). Was your sample a spray or dab? Perfumes can smell very different depending on how they are applied. I doubt Amazon sell fakes.
    DONNA

Whitefluffy, I agree with everything donna255 said. My plastic top never fit, and in fact, I tossed it.
    I really don't think Cuir was or is popular enough to be faked, and they are all reformulated from the original.
    My guess is that yours is OK, but if you have a doubt, PM me and I can provide a sample for comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, for your input ladies! I agree that it is doubtful that someone would bother to fake it as it is not as popular. So must be a reformulation. The vial I had was a dab on and smelled SO beautiful, it also had better lasting power. Cello I might take you up on your sample offer thank you

Donna255 - it does start out harsh, so it sounds to me like I have a right one. Maybe my sample was an original formulation. Still can't believe how cheaply it is made, other Lancome fragrances I came across were made with much more care.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought mine from some general online retailer (overstock? perfume1?) very cheaply, not much more than $30. It's the version briefly reissued before Lancome yanked it off, I assume permanently. As others have said, the cap is loose. But it doesn't leak and it smells lusciously rich.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky you, cacio. This version smells like much more watered down (or more like "vodka"-ed down) of the one you so graciously sent me. I did not have a good luck with Overstock either. I got Pour Homme by VC&A from them and that one was a blatant fake.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I got lucky with them - it's the only thing I ever got there. I think other BNers got their Cuir from this source.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for your kind inputs, it was very helpful. It looks like my bottle is legitimate but contains reformulation. I will just have to leave with it. But seriously, I am getting really, really, really sick and tired of reformulations...

Agree that it was not popular enough to be faked.

As this is discontinued, it's probably genuine but might be from old stock.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi guys. whitefluffy I have two bottles (and I bought a third for my sister). I got them from DirectCosmetics.com. The caps are all loose. I have wondered if that is why the Fragrance was pulled, or never appeared on the Lancome Counters, but went straight to the discounters, because of a bad production run/ bad design of the bottle cap, so they couldn't sell them full price. What a bummer. All those litres of great perfume all decanted into defective bottles. Possible?

Mine all smell fine. Great in fact. I think that you have just been unlucky. Get some while you can.

Hmmm. If it has been a problem with the bottles, maybe we will see it reintroduced and repackaged at some stage. All the more reason to get it now IMO!

Post Thanks / Like

Foustie, I bought Sikkim and Magie from Directcosmetics plain white boxes but the real deal. Oh and yes the loose plastic tops.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys! Foustie, what an intriguing thought: sell it at discounters because of the poor quality packaging. Who knows, maybe that is the truth behind the mystery of the Lancome "exclusive" collection. Unfortunately, I can't buy from Directcosmetics as they will deliver only to UK and couple other European countries. But I will look closer at our domestic discount retailers. My bottle was free (thank you, Amazon) so I will gamble again. Hopefully, I will get lucky and get the awesome one that cacio has.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Foustie, I bought Sikkim and Magie from Directcosmetics plain white boxes but the real deal. Oh and yes the loose plastic tops.
    Aha! I am more and more convinced that this has been about a bad production run on the bottles....
    Last edited by Foustie; 3rd August 2012 at 04:22 PM.

I bought three bottles of Cuir de Lancome. The first smelled fine, but the bottle was leaky, the second one I opened didn't smell as good as the first, so I eventually opened the third bottle, which smells great and isn't leaky.

Third time's a charm, I guess.

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a Cuir from an online retailer - Beauty Encounter, I think. They have it again, but at about double what I remember paying. Mine smells great - a bit too floral for me to wear, though. It's more feminine than I expected. Mine has the loose cap, too. Seems like the metal collar in the cap that's supposed to click onto the sorayer got pushed up into the plastic cap. The cap just rattles around. I tried pry out the collar to see if I could fix it, but couldn't get it to pop out.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok - I fixed the cap. It clicks on properly now. This thread motivated me to go back and mess with it some more. Since so many people are having problems with them, I think I'll post what I did as a new thread so that anyone with the same issue has a better chance of seeing it?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post Thanks / Like

Whitefluffy, the original is from 1936, so no way was that the sample. The new one is 2007 and then discontinued, so they are all from that date, no reformulations after that.

Foustie, someone else has a dodgy loose cap for the Mille from the same collection. I will say your theory has been proved.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Was Cuir discontinued? I didn't know that. Does it mean that the ones that are still available for sale are the last ones, and Lancome won't make it anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    Was Cuir discontinued? I didn't know that. Does it mean that the ones that are still available for sale are the last ones, and Lancome won't make it anymore?
    That is what I believe. It was briefly re-introduced mid 2000s as a reformulation from 1936 (per donna ), but Lancome never pushed it very much and it faded away. I think it is done, but still fairly available.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I wore my Cuir for a day and the dry down was what I remembered from the sample, though not quite as luscious or long lasting. Why there would be a variation if Cuir hasn't been reformulated? Different batches, perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like

could be your hormones. No really, I have fragrances that suddenly one day I go, don't like this it seems weird compared to last wearing. Then next time yes that is gorgeous again.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

could be your hormones. No really, I have fragrances that suddenly one day I go, don't like this it seems weird compared to last wearing. Then next time yes that is gorgeous again.
    You are most likely right, donna255. I don't have that sample anymore to compare, but it does make sense. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Rubegon. Have done mine too.

Donna had already done hers. Smarty pants.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll tell you even better, I had to redo it when I wore it the other day!!!!! Yes opened box and it was rattling around again!!!!

On a side note, the Mille Rose which was part of this collection has been re released as a limited edition in Harrods at 200!!!!!!
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

On a side note, the Mille Rose which was part of this collection has been re released as a limited edition in Harrods at 200!!!!!!
    Have you seen Lila's article about the reissue of some of La Collection on the news page?! Aha!

Get it while you can!!
    Last edited by Foustie; 13th August 2012 at 09:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes and I see its not actually 200 LOL.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Have you seen Lila's article about the reissus of some of La Collection on the news page?! Aha!

Get it while you can!!
    I just read the article, thank you for the info. I think I will be getting couple of extra bottles of Cuir. As for Mille Roses I haven't tried this 2007 version yet, and it was mentioned somewhere that it is not quite as good as original 2000 issue which I absolutely love.

- - - Updated - - -

Just ordered another bottle from Amazon. Thank you guys for screwing my head the right way. Oh, Amazon, can you ever forgive me? I was a bad, bad girl...

I think La Collection wasn't discontinued, although I can't say for sure. I know for a fact that, after briefly being available throughout the world, the line was restricted to the flagship Lancome store in Paris. So for at least a few years, all the entries were still in production, but in very limited quantities.

Anyway, I have 2007-era Cuir and Mille. Each came in a white cardboard case suitable for display, and the caps are glass trapezoids with gold ribbons. I'm not very good at picking out individual notes, but I'm happy to answer any questions about the fragrances, bottles, or packaging.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that is actually the same as my Cuir,Sikkim and Magie packaging etc.

But Metraria what we really want to know, did yours have the wonky tops? LOL
    DONNA

But Metraria what we really want to know, did yours have the wonky tops? LOL
    The Cuir does!

I'll tell you even better, I had to redo it when I wore it the other day!!!!! Yes opened box and it was rattling around again!!!!

ouch!!! I got mine 3 o 4 years for about 50 usd, if that