Code of Conduct

Default Frags that reflect Dominance, Confidence and Power?

I went through some old threads but could this be discussed again please? There has been launched many new frags since, which may fit in.

So which frags in mens fragrances in your opinion reflect firm self-confidence and dominance/power? The 4th keyword i'm searching for would be CREDIBILITY.

I'm interested to hear your opinions and suggestions...
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Default Re: Frags that reflect Dominance, Confidence and Power?

Interesting. I suppose the ones that first come to mind would be the fragrances that would be overbearing like Knize 10. But I am not a fan of that one. Simply being bold and agressive does not equal self-confidence to me.

So I would go with:
    Puredistance M
    Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    TF Noir de Noir
    M7
    Polo Double Black
    Antaeus
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Brckner - Aoud 1
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Wear what you enjoy. Self-confidence isn't obtainable in bottled form, it can only come from you.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Interesting. I suppose the ones that first come to mind would be the fragrances that would be overbearing like Knize 10. But I am not a fan of that one. Simply being bold and agressive does not equal self-confidence to me.

So I would go with:
    Puredistance M
    Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    TF Noir de Noir
    M7
    Polo Double Black
    Antaeus
    I was also thinking about Antaeus for one suggestion. Some interesting candidates in your list, that surely might work.
    (Marcel Rochas)

Black Orchid EDP

+1 Knize Ten. Confident, elegant, butch. In general, I think leathers fit perfectly your description. For the type of confident dominance involving leather whips, the go-to is Bandit.

cacio

Interesting thread that prompts these questions: a) do I choose a fragrance based on my mood, b) can a fragrance influence my mood, or c) both? I endorse "c"

Dior Eau Sauvage
    Rochas Moustache (vintage EDC)
    Gianfranco Ferre Pour Homme
    Polo Green
    Aramis Havana/Devin/Aramis/Tuscany/Aramis 900
    Yatagan
    Azzaro PH
    HdP 1725
    Dsquared2 He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    +1 Knize Ten. Confident, elegant, butch. In general, I think leathers fit perfectly your description. For the type of confident dominance involving leather whips, the go-to is Bandit.

cacio
    I checked the ingredients of Knize Ten and they made me curious about this one. Might order a small decant.

Lemon, bergamot, orange, petitgrain, rosemary, geranium, rose, cedar, orris, carnation, cinnamon, orange blossom, sandalwood, leather, musk, moss, patchouli, ambergris, castoreum and vanilla
    (Marcel Rochas)

Knize Ten is the classic elegant, old style leather (it's been around since the 20s). Be aware that the main note is a strong leather with automotive connotations (some say tar, gasoline), but rounded out with all the ingredients you listed (citrus, some sweet fruit, vanilla).

cacio

Might want to try Knize Ten Golden Edition if it sounds too harsh

Alpha male frags:

Aramis, Bois du Portugal, Platinum Egoiste, Encre Noire, Fahrenheit (of a fashion), L'Eau du Navigateur

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Wear what you enjoy. Self-confidence isn't obtainable in bottled form, it can only come from you.
    Dominance, confidence and power? Wow.

This question needs to posed to a bull elk during the rut.

I agree with Suga that these things cannot be found in a bottle. Wear the scent you enjoy. Your personality will have to do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio
    Bandit? Cacio, are you sure you want this dominant male wearing a WOMEN'S scent?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    I checked the ingredients of Knize Ten and they made me curious about this one. Might order a small decant.

Lemon, bergamot, orange, petitgrain, rosemary, geranium, rose, cedar, orris, carnation, cinnamon, orange blossom, sandalwood, leather, musk, moss, patchouli, ambergris, castoreum and vanilla
    This was one where I thought the hype was way ahead of the product. I guess I enjoy leather or see leather as something you might consider that cowhide smell. Even if you think new car leather I didn't get that here. What a got was a very overwhelming "perfumed" leather. Many on here in the past said this was a fine leather smell from the old days. I just didn't get it. It was headache inducing to me and not something I wanted to wear. Just one opinion.

As for the original question, I know you're going to get alot of 80s type power fragrances but that isn't what I think would powerful or confident. 1) I think a personality can display it more than a scent and 2) I think the scent would reflect more of a mix of old with new like GIT or Platinum Egoiste than say an Anteus. Heck I wear TdH almost everyday to work with dress clothes and feel confident but it more because I think I smell good vs the scent itself.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    This was one where I thought the hype was way ahead of the product. I guess I enjoy leather or see leather as something you might consider that cowhide smell. Even if you think new car leather I didn't get that here. What a got was a very overwhelming "perfumed" leather. Many on here in the past said this was a fine leather smell from the old days. I just didn't get it. It was headache inducing to me and not something I wanted to wear. Just one opinion.

As for the original question, I know you're going to get alot of 80s type power fragrances but that isn't what I think would powerful or confident. 1) I think a personality can display it more than a scent and 2) I think the scent would reflect more of a mix of old with new like GIT or Platinum Egoiste than say an Anteus. Heck I wear TdH almost everyday to work with dress clothes and feel confident but it more because I think I smell good vs the scent itself.
    I think the best leather with a true "saddle" scent is Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur. It smells like...leather. Pure and simple.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Dominance, confidence and power? Wow.

This question needs to posed to a bull elk during the rut.
    LOL

I agree with Suga that these things cannot be found in a bottle. Wear the scent you enjoy. Your personality will have to do the rest.
    About this i am a bit disagreeing with you and Suga - i feel that one can with correct fragrance choice boost some characteristics that's already there in one's nature. (I'm not any kind of leader nor "alpha-male" but i see myself quite self-confident and strong determined person)

Edit: I think as i read second time your posts, that we don't disagree after all! It's have to be in the personality already.
    (Marcel Rochas)

Tom Ford Extreme
    Aramis
    Boi Du Portugal

Any of the Power House fragrances for sure!!!
    Gary

Amouage Honour
    Clive Christian X
    Amouage Silver

I think the best leather with a true "saddle" scent is Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur. It smells like...leather. Pure and simple.
    Thanks for the suggestion Primrose!
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I certainly agree with that. Projecting 'dominance' and 'power' isn't too difficult: anyone can spray a brash fragrance full of manly smells of cars and leather underpants; it's the 'credibility' part that you may struggle with. No fragrance will transform you into the Incredible Hulk (that said, Quorum comes close).

Alpha male frags:

Aramis, Bois du Portugal, Platinum Egoiste, Encre Noire, Fahrenheit (of a fashion), L'Eau du Navigateur

Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    Alpha male frags:

As i think Aramis, Encre Noire yes, i agree on these. Platinum Egoiste feels too clean and polite IMO.
    (Marcel Rochas)

Sound Scents

+1s for Polo Green and Aramis Havana
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frdric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacr (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Priv (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Don't remember my source but found this, it's about how basic 7 scent categories can invoke varying moods:

Researchers have identified seven basic scent categories that can invoke varying moods. The first category is floriental scents. These offer romantic, dream-based moods that are often idealistic in nature. They create emotional places where feelings can serve as a master, not just a guide.

Another category is aldehyic-floral scents. These tend to project a classical, elegant, or cultured mood. They can evoke feelings of wealth, power, and freedom.

Oriental scents are the third category. These offer introspection, sensitivity, and reflection as their base moods. These can evoke a deep, spiritual understanding and intense relationship bonds.

An additional category is fruity-floral scents. These project a carefree, playful, and cheerful mood. These fragrances create curiosity and an openness to change that would not ordinarily exist without them.

Another category is powdery-aldehydic scents. These scents offer an independent, unconventional, and unfettered mood. These scents offer an artistic freedom.

The sixth category is fresh green floral scents. These project a dynamic, active, and extroverted mood. These scents invoke feelings of risk and the exhilaration that goes with that risk.

The final scent category is chypre scents. These fragrances project professional, pragmatic, and self-assured moods. These are no nonsense scents that offer a feeling of practicality.
    (Marcel Rochas)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Aramis
    Boi Du Portugal
    I agree and was going to add TF Extreme.

Mitsouko for the CEO! (they rhyme too).
    But then, if I remember correctly, one of the heir to the Estee Lauder empire, not a CEO yet, but likely when the father dies, did appear in a Jasmine White Moss ad.

Mitsouko is the reference chypre, more or less, since IFRA has nearly banned the key ingredient of chypres (oakmoss). Jasmine White Moss is an attempt to create a chypre without oakmoss. In the ones mentioned above, Aramis, Bandit and Knize Ten have some chypre character, though leather chypres are quite different from other chypres.

cacio

I can't believe no one suggested this one but its what I immediately thought of. Rive Gauche by ysl. I feel like a boss/ leader when I wear this.

Another vote for leathery frags: brash, loud yet elegant leathers like Knize Ten, Chanel Antaeus and Versace l'Homme truly fit the bill.

Confidence is how you feel. If you're not feeling it, no smell is going to make you project it. And if you are feeling it, it doesn't matter what perfume you're wearing.

Having said that, I do think fragrance can help you feel it, but that's completely up to you and your own associations with it. I love to wear Knize Ten when I want to feel confident.

No one has mentioned Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Parfum d'Habit.

This is a rich, woody leather. A member once called this a "hairy-chested" fragrance! Is that manly enough?

That said, if a man is confident enough, any fragrance he enjoys will do, or even no fragrance at all.

Parfum d'Habit is one of my favourites in the old 90ml bottle.

No one has mentioned Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Parfum d'Habit.
    Good call Primrose. I'll also second Bandit and Knize Ten but I'll ad Or Black as one of the most assertive compositions around...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

+1 Tom Ford Extreme
    +1 YSL M7

Also:

Creed Royal Oud
    V&R Antidote

Personally: Tubereuse Criminelle

But you can't fail with Rien

Basenotes Plus

Since it's good enough for

Egoiste.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's not something that is by the fragrance you wear, but your character rather.

What do you folks think of Montale Dark Aoud - Does it suit for a person who is self-confident, powerful and dominant? What about the other scents of the Montale line?
    (Marcel Rochas)

Personally - Gengis Khan

Another vote for TF Extreme.

Either Fahrenheit or Narciso Rodriguez for Him.

The truth is: the one you're comfortable wearing.

The reality is that fragrances that embody a certain image walk a fine line between stereotypical and caricature, especially if you can't pull if off. If the fragrance wears you, it will look like you're trying very hard to wear the fragrance.

Antaeus
    Aramis
    Polo Green
    Santos Concentree
    Sandalwood by Art of Shaving
    Lauder for Men
    JHL
    Habit Rouge
    Givenchy Gentlemen

Basenotes Plus

Will add my vote for Knize Ten, Bandit (chypre) and include another gorgeous chypre for you: L'homme de coeur de parfum by Divine.

And a link for you to read about Knize Ten, a refreshing oriental with a leather note.

http://www.knize.at/en/content/5.html*

*No affiliation, I just like it.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Knize 10
    Vintage Tabarome
    Oud Cuir d'Arabie
    Mazzolari Lui
    SMN Peau d'Espagne

I venture to add Derby.

This is a great leather chypre. It is not a gourmand, and is not likely to be worn by someone interested in clubbing.

Great for a business meeting.

dofa:

regarding your question about Montale. Definitely, all their ouds are big, confident, in your face, with nuclear sillage and persistence. Their aoud cuir d'arabie adds leather too.

cacio

1) Green Irish Tweed- My chest seems to stick out 6 feet when I wear this. I feel like General Patton.

2) Aventus- It is such a different fragrance to what most guys wear that others will notice and respect you. Ditto, if they knew how much it cost.

3) Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille- I know that vanilla is not very manly, but I feel really confident when I wear this for some reason. I match it with appropriate clothing for the fragrance and I feel like a King. (Don't tell P diddy!)

4) Bois du Portugal- This is an under hyped fragrance around here. It reminds me of the masculine scents of the 1970's and 1980's. For some reason, my nose thinks it's a spicier version of Pierre Cardin which I haven't smelled in ages.