Code of Conduct

Thread: Search function

Default Search function

Is driving me insane. I used to search for a fragrance or a topic and it would give me multiple threads with the scent or subject in the thread title. Or at least something relevant to it. Now it's anybody's guess what the outcome will be. I seriously hate it. Ok, rant over.

Default Re: Search function

I'm glad you said something (glad to know I'm not the only one) because I have been extremely frustrated with the search function also, it's pretty much useless...but then again I'm still frustrated with the change back to old basenotes...I liked the huddler version MUCH better, but I think I'm in the minority. I just thought the huddler version all around worked MUCH better from search function to scent of the day. But I can't change anything so buck up and deal with it I must.

It's not optimal that's for sure.
    (1500)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I mentioned this some time back to no avail..
    It is terrible!!
    A mod should make Grant aware of this..

Awful, particularly when searching for fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    I'm glad you said something (glad to know I'm not the only one) because I have been extremely frustrated with the search function also, it's pretty much useless...but then again I'm still frustrated with the change back to old basenotes...I liked the huddler version MUCH better, but I think I'm in the minority. I just thought the huddler version all around worked MUCH better from search function to scent of the day. But I can't change anything so buck up and deal with it I must.
    I agree. I liked the huddler version very much. Even if there wasn't a "wardrobe" function, I think it ran smoother and was more user friendly. What I do now to search is typing what I'm searching for in google with "basenotes" after it.

Does anyone actually like this version more than the Huddler version?

Yeah before the switch to Huddler the search function was terrific...now I can't find jack $h!t! Makes me wonder what changed and how the search function got so messed up? I mean it worked great before, so what's the deal now?!

I noticed it, too. The search results are useless.

Basenotes Plus

Unfortunately, Google search (Basenotes subject) is working better at present - sorry, it should sort out soon.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    Does anyone actually like this version more than the Huddler version?
    Stevie Wonder

If you want to bring up the reviews of a particular fragrance it's best to use the search in your wardrobe as it brings it right up. The normal search brings up everything else but the proper reviews. Quite frustrating I admit.

Does anyone perhaps know when the old data will be restored (updated/implemented) from May-Oct 2013 which is still missing (posts/threads/wardrobe updates during that period of time)?
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Awful, particularly when searching for fragrances.
    What else are you searching for on this site?
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Does anyone perhaps know when the old data will be restored (updated/implemented) from May-Oct 2013 which is still missing (posts/threads/wardrobe updates during that period of time)?
    Probably early 2015...lol....

I'm not complaining I used to love Huddler and now I've become used to this old-new format and I like it a lot ...yes, there's little issues here and there but I'm grateful for all the work the administrators have done to get it running .....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Yeah, but I was wondering if it was/is any use to update my wardrobe again which still looks like how it was back in May.............things changed quite a bit in the meantime.

Basenotes Plus

The missing items from Huddler should turn up in time, although some of us have already updated our lists.

There's a section here 'Forum News & Announcements' where updates are posted - most recently a load of Huddler period reviews were uploaded to this site.
    http://www.basenotes.net/forums/11-F...-Announcements

There is a ton of data to be converted, but it's being done in stages.

Yes search function is useless, as lpp stated above, the best way to search on Basenotes is through google and then writing basenotes in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Yes search function is useless, as lpp stated above, the best way to search on Basenotes is through google and then writing basenotes in the title.
    Exactly! This is what I do as well and works 'ok'.............

I'm referring to searching for fragrance pages, not forum posts, the ones with reviews and such...

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    What else are you searching for on this site?

Default Search function

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I'm referring to searching for fragrance pages, not forum posts, the ones with reviews and such...
    Yeah, it doesn't work now. I use the directory but it isn't a very speedy method. Previously (pre-Huddler) a search for a fragrance would have the reviews page at the top. Not now.

Basenotes Plus

At the moment, the fastest way to reach a fragrance main page is via the 'search fragrances' box on the Directory main page
    http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedirectory/

or via the search box in our wardrobe page.

I just thought I'd revive this thread being that I have tried to search out peoples thoughts on a couple of frags that past couple of weeks, and it has been sooooooooooo frustrating! I'm not mad...just bugged...maybe if we keep bumping this thread the search function will be fixed faster...right?....hint hint hint...............hint. I appreciate all that all of the people behind this site are doing, I'm just giving a little nudge...reminder if you will....hint hint....ok, I'm done.

Basenotes Plus

Sorry - using 'basenotes (+x)' in Google search works & throws up Huddler threads as well, for now.
    The Directory search is fine 'though.

Also, if you search "basenotes + <fragrance name>" via Google, the result with the year of release in the title will take you to the reviews page for that fragrance. I find this to be faster than searching from the Directory page.