Code of Conduct

Thread: Frederic Malle

Default Frederic Malle

Hi everybody I need you guys opinions on Frederic Malle fragances wich ones are the best and overall rating for their notes etc I trying to get information of the fragances before buying not experience at all with this line Thanks again.

Default Re: Frederic Malle

My favorites are:

Geranium Pour Monsieur
    Bois D'Orage
    Dans Tes Bras
    Musc Ravageur

The quality of their scents is very good IMO.
    (2754)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Musc Ravageur n carnal flower

Basenotes Plus

Vetiver Extraordinaire is the only one I wear, although I respect most of the scents. Carnal Flower is definitely worth trying just for the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noirtomford View Post
    These are the two I have chosen. Quality of all is superb.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

They are very expensive, but they are also made with more care than usual. At those prices, you should definitely try beforehand. Which ones to try depend on your tastes.

Vetiver Extraordinaire, perhaps my favorite, is the freshest, zingiest vetiver (that is, fresh and green and slighlty woody)
    Portrait of a lady, possibly the most talked about one recently, is an intense masculine woody amber overlaid with a beautiful rose. Despite the rose, the structure is very masculine. Smooth, but extremely intense, almost exhaustingly so. If you like modern dry-woody masculines, and are not afraid of power, you should like this.
    Musc Ravageur is another very talked about. It opens with a fun, superdirty musk, but then it cleans up and becomes a smooth spicy. Nice, but after the initial start it's not as exciting, and I can think of other cheaper perfume that do similar things. Good nonetheless if you like modern smooth spicy.
    Lys Mediterranee: the perfect marine-aquatic. I just don't like aquatic so I don't see myself wearing it, but if you like the genre, this may hit the spot. It's aquatic, but is made elegant and interesting by a lily note.

cacio

You should definitely try Carnal Flower and Musc Ravageur, as others have said. I also love Dries Van Noten. Lys Mediterranee is the only aquatic I can abide; it's really lovely.

Bois d'Orage (French Lover)
    Vetiver Extraordinaire

also, Carnal Flower is excellent, but too feminine for me to wear - love it on my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by noirtomford View Post
    What he said.

I will add Dans tes Bras. Very different, very niche-like.

Basenotes Junkie

Default Frederic Malle

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Bois d'Orage (French Lover)
    Vetiver Extraordinaire

also, Carnal Flower is excellent, but too feminine for me to wear - love it on my wife.
    Also the ones I bought FB of. Liked Dries van Noten and Musc Ravageur, just not enough to buy FB. I like Geranium pour Monsieur or Carnal Flower as possible Spring purchases.

All very high quality in this line, with something for everyone. It's is a good thing because some are polarizing.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Angeliques Sous La Pluie is a nice peppery/woody mix..
    Longevity is an issue..

Everything in the line is worth experiencing, as they're all very intelligently composed and made with excellent ingredients. I've come to appreciate this line much more now, years into my fragrance hobby, than I did when I first tried them. None of them are straightforward; each has a distinct character, never too smoothed-over, which means none are for everyone, but as a corollary to that, when one does click with you, it can feel like finding a soul-mate. Or at the very least, a good match.

I own Vetiver Extraordinaire (which I love), and Geranium Pour Monsieur (which really grew on me and is perhaps under-appreciated). I've tried all the rest, and the only ones I personally don't care for are Bois d'Orage, Dans Tes Bras, and Dries Van Noten. But that's me. Each has its fans.

A few I really like but don't get mentioned as much: Iris Poudre (fans of Dior Homme should check out the iris note here) and L'Eau d'Iver (gorgeous heliotrope).

Basenotes Plus

The only ones I haven't liked so far are Musc Ravageur and Le Parfum de Therese. Dries Van Notten I was indiferent about.

VE
    Musc Ravenger
    Geranium Pour Monsieur

I have only tried Musc Ravenger. It's nice but for me it's not really bottle worthy for the price.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Sound Scents

Quality-wise they all are superb.

My personal favorites in the extremely strong overall lineup are:

Portrait of a Lady
    Une Fleur de Cassie
    Carnal Flower
    Lys Mediterranee
    Vetiver Extraordinaire

That said, there are many other greats.
    Last edited by drseid; 8th January 2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: spelling
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

My top three from the line:
    1) Carnal Flower
    2) Musc Ravageur
    3) Portrait of a Lady

Close 4th: Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

Great house and excellent quality scents. These are my favorites:

Musc Ravageur
    French Lover
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Portrait of a Lady

The next release will be by Carlos Benaïm. Fingers crossed it will be a goodie.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    It's time for me to step away from the computer, I first read that as "Fingers crossed it will be a poodle".

What I came to say, though, was that my favorites are Une Fleur de Cassie, Geranium Pour Monsieur, Vetiver Extraordinaire, and in hot weather, Bigarade Concentrée.

I own Musc Ravageur and Bois d'Orage (French Lover) but quickly tired of the former and after a long time, of the latter.

Dries van Noten smells promising but I've never given it a proper wearing.

Noir Epices is really interesting but I don't like it on me.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

un fleur de cassie
    dries van noten
    portrait of a lady

Bois d'Orage is my favorite.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

They are all fantastic fragrances. My favorite is Geranium Pour Monsieur. I also really like Musc Ragaveur and Vetiver Extraordinaire. On the women's side, Portrait of a Lady is a masterpiece (but I associate it too closely with my wife, so I rarely wear it) and Dans Tes Bras is fascinating. Fleur de Cassie is frightening....

Frederic Malle is one of my favorite fragrance houses. I would say it's in the same flavor as Creed. They also have a lot of high quality feminine fragrances.

My favorites are:
    Bigarade Concentree
    Geranium Pour Monsieur
    Vetiver Extraordinaire

Honorable mentions:
    Musc Ravageur
    Bois d'Orage
    Dries Van Noten

On my wife, I like:
    Portrait of a Lady
    Carnal Flower
    Une Rose
    En Passant

I own a full bottle of Bigarade Concentree. Was my first niche purchase from retail. I'll probably get GPM and VE sometime in the future. Very nice fragrances.

I have tried most of them, but just a few seem to fit my taste.

Angelique sous la pluie - is a beautiful and fragile fragrance - Angelica in the rain, but short lived
    Lys Mediterranee - is my favourite lily (unisex) fragrance
    French Lover - is ok as a woody/amber fragrance [a rather stale shirt smell as L. Turin said]

I think there are better rose fragrances than Portrait of a Lady, and musc doesn't work for me. The Vetiver is too dry for me.
    Carnal flower is a nice tuberose. Dries Van Noten is interesting but I haven't given it a full wearing.
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule & Sa Majeste la Rose & Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

My choices would be:

Musc Ravageur
    Noir Epices
    Bois d'Orage
    Portrait of a Lady
    Dan Tes Bras

Their range is very diverse and what might fit your bill, really depends on what you're after...Here are some of my favorites in no particular order...

Une Fleur De Cassie (Big floral with a lived-in vibe)
    Vetiver Extraordinaire (Extremely green vetiver)
    Geranium Pour Monsieur (Minty geranium on a musky base)
    Le Parfum de Therese (Roudnistka's style, enough said)
    Musc Ravageur (a crowdpleaser)

if you're ok with woodyambers you might also want to check French Lover (peppery-green) and Portrait Of A Lady (rose-woody)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Vetiver Extraordinaire & Musc Ravageur are my next purchases. The samples I had were perfect for me for my daily requirement in a close knit environment.

frederic-malle-perfumes-geranium.jpg

Géranium Pour Monsieur

It's the geranium/rose combo that I love,
    plus a blast of mint at the beginning to cleanse the palate.
    Last edited by Picassoutine; 8th January 2014 at 06:40 PM.
    “When you step back from stressing the parts,
    when the mind becomes still, the rose comes to you,
    unfolds in you in all her glory.
    The perfume invades you completely.
    The rose is you. You are one.”

Jean Klein

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Any idea when this is slated to come out?

(2816)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Picassoutine View Post
    frederic-malle-perfumes-geranium.jpg

Géranium Pour Monsieur

It's the geranium/rose combo that I love,
    plus a blast of mint at the beginning to cleanse the palate.
    I also really like GPM. I get a blast of mint and a dry down of earthy notes. Will probably purchase it later this year.

I like:

French Lover
    Musc Ravageur
    Vetiver Extraordinaire

I like Dries van Noten and Musc Ravageur, Portrait of a Lady and Une Rose. Quite pricey, but the travel sprays are a bit more palettable and you might find someone who wanted to split several different ones so each person could try 10ml.

One of my favorite houses, a small line but quality.

What I didn't like was not because they were bad but because the perfume didn't appeal to me. They're all good.

The extraordinary ones are:

Vetiver Extraordinaire, Carnal Floral & especially Dans tes Bras.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Any idea when this is slated to come out?

(2816)
    I don't know, Hednic. Sorry.
    Late last year I was told it was 'nearly ready' so hopefully in the not-too-distant future.

Carnal Flower

Just when I think that Niche is an over-hyped category, I recall the Frederic Malle line and realize there are some Niche houses that really are worth major discussion and exploration. These scents are, to my nose, of high quality and careful craftsmanship/craftswomanship.

Vetiver Extraordinaire [very aptly named]

FM is a brand that deserves a lot of praise for bringing together some of the best noses in the business. Everything from their bottles, to the packaging and the quality of the ingredients is worth praise, but I also find it hard to choose just one fragrance for me from their range. Both Vetiver Extrodinaire and Geranium Pour Monsieur appeal to me - I just haven't gone to the effort of buying a full bottle ever. Maybe I should just get a small travel spray/vial and enjoy them that way...
    Current UK sales: Diptyque Philosykos EdP

I've tried a hand full of their fragrances and I do not have very good things to say about them lol

Carnal Flower - Queen tuberose at her finest, voluptuous, elegant and realistic. what confuses me is why they have to charge such high price for a tuberose fragrance since 2 hours after the va va voom opeing, it finally dries down smelling very similar to other much cheaper tuberose centered fragrances

Musc Ravageur - Dirty toilet in the opening that drydown to run of the mill cinnamon vanilla, the drydown smells quite similar to L de Lolita Lempicka by the same perfumer

Vetiver Extraordinaire - Bitter, too bitter

Portrait of a Lady - Funny that this one is named Portrait of a Lady since IMO there is nothing lady like about this fragrance. It smells like a hairy hippy who has not washed in ages just pour burn wood on his body. Smells similar to millions "en vouge" Middle Eastern inspired fragrances

Une Rose - There are rose fragrances that turn bad on my skin and this is one of them so I cannot really tell how it smells
    Last edited by jasonx; 9th January 2014 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    I've tried a hand full of their fragrances and I do not have very good things to say about them lol

Carnal Flower - Queen tuberose at her finest, voluptuous, elegant and realistic. what confuses me is why they have to charge such high price for a tuberose fragrance since 2 hours after the va va voom opeing, it finally dries down smelling very similar to other much cheaper tuberose centered fragrances

Musc Ravageur - Dirty toilet in the opening that drydown to run of the mill cinnamon vanilla, the drydown smells quite similar to L de Lolita Lempicka by the same perfumer

Vetiver Extraordinaire - Bitter, too bitter

Portrait of a Lady - Funny that this one is named Portrait of a Lady since IMO there is nothing lady like about this fragrance. It smells like a hairy hippy who has not washed in ages just pour burn wood on his body. Smells similar to millions "en vouge" Middle Eastern inspired fragrances

Une Rose - There are rose fragrances that turn bad on my skin and this is one of them so I cannot really tell how it smells
    Clearly the aesthetics of this house don't appeal to you. I could constructively refute every point, but would there any point to?
    No, because Editions de Parfums is not your style.

for swap/sale:

I can't believe I forgot about Une Rose. That may be my favorite one.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Lys Mediterranee: the perfect marine-aquatic. I just don't like aquatic so I don't see myself wearing it, but if you like the genre, this may hit the spot. It's aquatic, but is made elegant and interesting by a lily note.
    Think it might be time to revisit Malle purely for this one. Might well be my summer fragrance for 2014...
    Current UK sales: Diptyque Philosykos EdP

Indeed, if I were forced to wear aquatics, the two options would be Lys Med or (after that) Le Labo Neroli.

cacoi