Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Today I bought ~ August 2012

For the second month in a row I'm starting this thread

Today I bought 30mls of EL Amber Ylang Ylang Extrait. Rescued new, sealed and in cellophane from eBay.

I've tried it in extrait at the store, it's richer with more longevity but lies closer to the skin, very warm and intimate
    Last edited by socalwoman; 4th September 2012 at 02:32 PM.

queen of the universe

Default Re: Today I bought

COntinuing my Weil exploration, Kipling arrived today. A fairly typical smoky/leathery masculine.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    COntinuing my Weil exploration, Kipling arrived today. A fairly typical smoky/leathery masculine.
    Oooh, Jujy in the UK Kipling would have to smell of cakes

Hermes Rouge
    Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

iris, I do not remember welcoming you to the best site on planet Earth! Welcome, dahlink. With this purchase you are the girl after my own h*e*a*r*t!

Sent for it in July but collected from the PO today: Hermes Faubourg 24 Delicate, pre-loved. It is my third bottle: one I went through myself, another one (cello's) stayed with mama in Europe last fall, and finally I got it again. (Hermes fans alert: seattlelight is selling her collection, very decent prices, quick shipping and friendly overall, we know her).

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    iris, I do not remember welcoming you to the best site on planet Earth! Welcome, dahlink. With this purchase you are the girl after my own h*e*a*r*t!
    Awww
    Thanks, that's really sweet of you! <3

What's the difference between Faubourg and Faubourg Delicate?

Huge! Regular Faubourg is strong, heady and somewhat stuffy white florals drenched in honey. Delicate is not only the entirely different set of notes (with the exception of jasmine, of course, but here the different species was used too), it is minimalistic (JC Ellena is the nose, no wonder!), breezy and very regal/elegant. It is in the same venue with Chanel Beige, with different florals used. The sandalwood base is sweet and long-lasting.

Both have their own fans, and our BNer Quarry is the biggest fan of regular Faubourg 24. I can't do it per se, it wears me instead of vice versa.
    Last edited by Twolf; 2nd August 2012 at 01:54 AM.

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    Oooh, Jujy in the UK Kipling would have to smell of cakes
    So I have heard. Unless the cake was dragged through an ashtray, well, no. (;
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Unless the cake was dragged through an ashtray" ... ha, <3!

Received the inexpensive small size of Reminiscence Patchouli--the best patch fragrance--and a range of incense-related samples from Beauty Habit today.

This afternoon I bought vintage Joy perfume at an antique's dealer and then a small bottle of CDG 2 Man online.

Trying to analyze all kinds of scents that I love, I picked up some $4 Nag Champa and $1 Chandrika soap--which as in perfumery, I believe have recently been reformulated so much less strong than they were a year or two ago in my West Coast liberal arts college days. These are scents I hold dearer than most any perfume. I went to a Japanese incense shop and found some beautiful smells to burn. Shoyeido brand's Nokiba ($3/35 sticks) is patchy and mossy and reminds me of a kinder-gentler Lutens Borneo. Patchouli and incense are my comfort drugs.

And I'm probably not going to post on BN much for a while expect for Jujy's sample pass and similar. Busy IRL times loom. Peace and Joy, ladies. Love you all!

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire 2012.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

I saw it on another thread, K. -- I know you liked it too! -- congratulations.

The vintage Opium Secret de Parfum arrived. A full refill bottle not 80% as advertised. In absolutely nose perfect condition. Gorgeous, lush, rich yet quieter less clovey than the vintage EdT.

Ordered 30mls Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire 2012 a blind buy but loving all the descriptors and reports so far. Also Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune.

Think I've gone a bit bonkers

A gift from a lovely SA...vintage Caron Muguet Du Bonheur Extrait

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

A barely used Neroli Portofino from EvilBay!

Basenotes Plus

Just ordered Ramon Monegal sample pack from Luckyscent....
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Blog Entries

Awesome, alfarom! How is the extrait? Or perhaps I'll check reviews.

Hmm, here I am having bought more stuff and posting too after goofily thinking I'd take a break. Why not have some fun for fairly little money? Excuse the crummy photo (as so many of us like to qualify first), but my phone is low charge and can't access charger right now.

I found all of this at a fairly dire antiques warehouse today in the span of a lunchtime. $40 total. The illegible tester is Bellodgia, the mini in the middle is Cristalle. Glimmering goofy Faberge on the right is called A Touch of Class. More like a grope.

The bro of a baseball fan kid who worked at the warehouse seemed really annoyed that he had to open so many cabinets for me and was huffing around and checking his watch. I think I only cost him fifteen minutes of watching me to make sure I didn't make off with the cheaply priced goods.

So as he rolled his eyes at this funny little hobby of ours, I was really showy and asked him "oh have you ever smelled this?" and so on. Eventually he softened his edge some, and it was pretty cute.

I also got some Niki Saint Phalle original perfume in the snake-topped collectible bottle in the mail after getting a good deal, but the seller didn't wrap the fairly obviously loose lid and so I got a soggy presentation box, ruined papers, and an empty bottle. Sad. I rubbed what was still damp of the box on my arms, and what strangely stimulating stuff!

Basenotes Plus

oh gee I should be saving my fume budget for the meet up in October but I succumbed to the Monegal sample pack from Luckyscent, and an order from fragrancenet today....
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Feels like Christmas, the LPRN and AAPamplelune arrived from Escentuals. No samples but a nail file as a freebie. The EL Amber Ylang Ylang extrait arrived as well. Can't wait for the migrainous dregs to go so I can have a proper sniff of them all. Just waiting for the Cuir de Lancome to arrive now

Great haul btw anomie et ivoire. You must be gutted about the Niki St Phalle. Will you be able to get a refund from the seller?
    Last edited by Alityke; 14th August 2012 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anomie et ivoire View Post
    Awesome, alfarom! How is the extrait? Or perhaps I'll check reviews.
    The review I previously posted here and on Fragrantica refers to the current EDT which sucks so bad IMO. I've yet to find the courage to open the extrait (it is sealed). I'll probably integrate my former review with a new one...let's see...

Nice finds A&I...

Blog Entries

Yet another late lunchtime antique mall find of a full bottle of Helmut Lang cologne at $15, this along with a stack of $1 apiece 70s-90s Architectural Digest.

Bowie might wear it--at least in that sarong phase! Winona might steal it?

Alityke- Oh I kind of want to keep the bottle anyway, so am negotiating a partial refund with pictures to prove the ruined box, etc. Does anyone else have a lot of bad luck with sellers not packing things very well? I've decided I'm going to start sending polite suggestions when buying from someone who doesn't seem to sell a lot of perfumes. Today I also got an old Shalimar edt remnant packed in the blue and white china canister to give as a gift. Well, the person had taken the sprayers off, thinking it would be less likely to leak, but instead the perfume came out of the top still and soaked the whole thing. The sticker blue and white china top has now peeled off. Ruining perfume antiques is sad for me as a collector, not just the money wasted.

And my collection is getting to where I don't have any desire to buy more! Having been a brand new fragrance maniac, the binges were bound to happen. Now I'm hoping to do a lot more decants, but the antique mall cheapies will of course persist when the mood strikes. eBay not so much.

I was blessed this week with a fragrance that filled a hole in my Vintage perfume collection.

VIntage Shiseido Inoui! I am walking through the mist of a Zen Forest, walking on pine needles!
    Lovely scent & great longevity....so quiet and contemplative compared to the rest of my favorite frags.
    Seriously Addicted to Animalics, Chypres and Vintage Pure Parfums!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CivetLady View Post
    I was blessed this week with a fragrance that filled a hole in my Vintage perfume collection.

VIntage Shiseido Inoui! I am walking through the mist of a Zen Forest, walking on pine needles!
    Lovely scent & great longevity....so quiet and contemplative compared to the rest of my favorite frags.
    Vintage Shiseido Inoui? Awesome stuff! Based on your description, I'm going to keep my eyes open for it in recycle shops in Japan when I finally get to visit my brother there this fall. Congrats on a cool find!

Annick Goutal Sables

Yet another late lunchtime antique mall find of a full bottle of Helmut Lang cologne at $15...
    ????? I guess s#*t happens!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    ????? I guess s#*t happens!
    Yeah I know, right. Straight-up weird and awesome find in the middle of the semi-ghetto meets suburbs. Lots of antique-loving people are stylish eccentrics who have good taste though, so when they're ready to part with things, my ever-so-grateful gain.

Yeah I know, right. Straight-up weird and awesome find in the middle of the semi-ghetto meets suburbs. Lots of antique-loving people are stylish eccentrics who have good taste though, so when they're ready to part with things, my ever-so-grateful gain.
    If you'll ever decide to get rid of it, you know where to send it...

I received this as a gift.....Guerlain Homme 80ml

Vintage Shiseido Inoui? Awesome stuff! Based on your description, I'm going to keep my eyes open for it in recycle shops in Japan when I finally get to visit my brother there this fall. Congrats on a cool find!
    Going to Japan?! I am seriously envious & GL on finding this Frag. Japan is on my short (bucket) list of places to visit - the culture and people and environment are mesmerizing IMO.
    Seriously Addicted to Animalics, Chypres and Vintage Pure Parfums!

Yves Rocher Rose Absolue

I finally splurged on a bottle of Secret Garden

It's a gorgeously indolic jasmine and rose, with a beautiful blue lotus note which is reminicent of gardenia. A lovely fruity raspberry and real vintage civet and castoreum with aged patchouli in the base... yes, it's as gorgeous as it sounds, and 100% natural. So glad to finally own this, can't wait for it to arrive!

Nice buys everyone!
    "Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it." -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by DieNase View Post
    Annick Goutal Sables
    Lovely choice

Chopard Happy Spirit Magical Nights

Clinique Aromatics Elixir, 45 ml
    Kenzo Jungle pour Homme, 100 ml
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune 75 ml
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Yet another late lunchtime antique mall find of a full bottle of Helmut Lang cologne at $15, this along with a stack of $1 apiece 70s-90s Architectural Digest.

Bowie might wear it--at least in that sarong phase! Winona might steal it?

Alityke- Oh I kind of want to keep the bottle anyway, so am negotiating a partial refund with pictures to prove the ruined box, etc. Does anyone else have a lot of bad luck with sellers not packing things very well? I've decided I'm going to start sending polite suggestions when buying from someone who doesn't seem to sell a lot of perfumes. Today I also got an old Shalimar edt remnant packed in the blue and white china canister to give as a gift. Well, the person had taken the sprayers off, thinking it would be less likely to leak, but instead the perfume came out of the top still and soaked the whole thing. The sticker blue and white china top has now peeled off. Ruining perfume antiques is sad for me as a collector, not just the money wasted.

And my collection is getting to where I don't have any desire to buy more! Having been a brand new fragrance maniac, the binges were bound to happen. Now I'm hoping to do a lot more decants, but the antique mall cheapies will of course persist when the mood strikes. eBay not so much.
    DAMN!! IT NEVER HAPPENS TO ME!! brill find! well, you know where to send it if you don't like it!!

Last month I bought a decant of Parfumerie Generale Louanges Propanes. I love it so much I just had to buy a 100mls bottle.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Last month I bought a decant of Parfumerie Generale Louanges Propanes. I love it so much I just had to buy a 100mls bottle.
    i would consider propane very dangerous to wear but then again, it's worth taking a risk if you REALLY like it, lol. be very careful with it though, it is highly flammable.

Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    DAMN!! IT NEVER HAPPENS TO ME!! brill find! well, you know where to send it if you don't like it!!
    There's a queue, boy. Stand in line, I need back ups...

--------------------------------

Ok, I know, I've been a naughty boy....

Parfums De Nicolai Odalisque 100ml

Montale Aoud Cuir D'Arabie 100ml (in the new "all black" packaging)

Odori Cuoio 50ml tavel spry in the leather pouch

plus decants of the whole Parfums De Marly's range....

there's a queue, boy. Stand in line, i need back ups...
    - lol!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I know, I've been a naughty boy....

Parfums De Nicolai Odalisque 100ml

Montale Aoud Cuir D'Arabie 100ml (in the new "all black" packaging)

Odori Cuoio 50ml tavel spry in the leather pouch

plus decants of the whole Parfums De Marly's range....
    damn, i've been wanting cuoio and cuir d'arabie for such a long time!!! uuuuuufff....

Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    damn, i've been wanting cuoio and cuir d'arabie for such a long time!!! uuuuuufff....
    Man, I don't know why I've been waiting so long to get a full bottle of Cuoio. This stuff is gorgeous!!!

Definitely gone made, in the last week,

Splits of Armani Prive Rose d'Arabie and Spirituese Double Vanille
    Decant of Lyric Woman
    Rescued part bottle of Chinatown

Mr Ali now considering putting me in a straight jacket and banning me from BN, eBay and the Crystal Flacon

50ml Un Matin D'Orage by Annick Goutal

Oh, great choice freddie! That is one beautiful perfume, so delicate and fresh Happy wearing!

Quote Originally Posted by yellow_cello View Post
    Oh, great choice freddie! That is one beautiful perfume, so delicate and fresh Happy wearing!

Thank you! I nabbed the idea from someone who recommended it on a recent Goutal thread. Although they said it was an orange blossom... which I guess does have a little bit of use in the gardenia accord - but I still register it as gardenia. And ozonic and dense aquatic synthetics paired with it - bizarre but divine

Habanita EDT....first blind buy! Really excited about this one...hope it lives up to my expectations!

Blog Entries

Enjoy the Habanita^^^^

For myself, after months of searching...I finally found her....

L'Artisan Parfumeur Fleur d'Oranger 2007 edition. Bottle N 317/6000
    MIB

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Ooh that's nice Fleurine.
    "Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it." -Mark Twain

Testa Maura Aqua Di Casta EDP

Congratulations to everybody and especially to Fleurine. Just think I used mine all up, back in the day, even entered it in the Blind Sniffs with decants. Gloriously gorgeous!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Congratulations to everybody and especially to Fleurine. Just think I used mine all up, back in the day, even entered it in the Blind Sniffs with decants. Gloriously gorgeous!
    Thank you Twold and Kalli! I haven't been this excited about a bottle in a while...I don't think any perfume could live up to such a huge reputation as this one BUt I got the shipping info today.
    I will have to drop a vial into a sample pass, if there is one where it would fit.
    Evidently there was (is) at leastone bottlethat was unloved in 2007, luckily for me.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

I keep hearing so much about that L'artisan, heard it's the best orange scent out there from some people. Mmmm. Interesting! Is that the one that's discontinued?(I am going to guess so as you have been searching a bit for it).
    Last edited by kalli; 11th August 2012 at 04:27 AM.

Yes, discontinued twice. Shows up in the For Sale forum once in a blue moon -- the recent bottle is already spoken for.

Did you help yourself to it?..

Not me, it is someone else you know (and love?). I will not buy anything until winter holidays, I hope. Don't even have anything in the Wish List.

A bunch of stuff online,I'll post pics when they get here. I bought this locally.

Bastards raised their price by $30.

Opus IV (thanks to some enabling from that gorgeous mischievous member called scent)

for swap/sale:

Congrats Hedonist, great fragrance and...beatiful picture too...

Congrats Hedonist, great fragrance and...beatiful picture too...
    Thanks

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Flipped through your photostream a bit, digindirt. Nice collection! Congrats on the find.

Picking up several smaller sizes of Goutal this week ...

Grand Amour
    Sables

and Gardenia Passion for a tuberose-loving friend who can pull it off and then some!

I went with several samples of Mon Parfum Chéri, par Camille because I can't imagine using up more than that, and it only comes in the largest size (apparently?). I do hope to be proven wrong about its wearability.

Also have been snapping up plenty of vintage minis for very little. Will post those in vintage treasures/thriftshop finds threads eventually.
    Last edited by anomie et ivoire; 12th August 2012 at 07:43 AM.

Dahlia Noir-EDT. Nothing at all noir about this but a nice, little scent for the summer.

A nice, light lemon, spice and wood. There is a slight musk..they almost used too much..yes, slight is too much for me as far as musk. I prefer no musk at all..lol..I did go through several samples of this and thought the musk was on the slighter side but unfortunately my nose picks up musk more and more. So, now, it's borderline..almost crossing that border of too much musk. You would think I would have figured it out after going through several samples. Lol...it's just my nose is picking up musk more and more...and I really do loathe it..more and more..eck.
    Last edited by kalli; 14th August 2012 at 05:33 AM.