Code of Conduct

Default Kokorico: very underrated/overlooked?

We've had a few nice fragrance releases lately that have caught a lot of attention and got Basenoters chatting but IMO they pale somewhat next to Kokorico which I thought was very distinctive; a sort of spicy cross between LIDGE, Piment Brulant, M7 and Rive Gauche... (descriptions will vary) but in other words it's a serious scent.

But it didn't create the same fuss as something like Spicebomb, for instance? Curious. Anyone share my view... or disagree, or have some other view on Kokorico?

Default Re: Kokorico: very underrated/overlooked?

Funny you should start this thread tonight; I just had a sniff of my bottle of Kokorico a few hours ago as I wondered why I had only worn it once. Then I remembered... In my opinion this is a very generic fragrance. It brought nothing new with it's release; I for one was expecting much more from this and had it shipped from overseas before general release. It's not that it's bad, it's just a bit boring to my nose and does nothing to excite me. I'd take Le Male over this any day.

Also, there was not a big advertising campaign for this one; in fact it is sitting on the bottom shelf of my local Boots along with the other less popular fragrances that you only know of if you're looking for them. There is no sense of 'pushing' the fragrance (which I hate to be honest!) from the SAs either, I've never once been offered to sample it, though they insist on trying to make me buy Bleu de Chanel every time I set foot in the door!
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

I find it generic and boring.

I wouldn't go so far to call it generic, as it's much more interesting than most modern designers... With that said, it smells awful.

It was pretty generic - and not particularly pleasant. The thing is - the advertising wasn't there - and the advertising that was there aws really unappealing as well.
    When it was first released I asked if I wanted to sniff it by a SA who handed me it sprayed on a feather... :| blergh.

Don't know whether it's underrated or overlooked, but I have it and I like it.

I fucking hate it for its richness in Norlimbanol (woody amber/patchouli) note.

Nevertheless I also think its way too underrated as all the Guidos in the clubs are starting to wear it and I believe it'll soon get hyped much more. JPG knew what he was doing with this one.

I like it and own it but unfortunately find it short-lived.

I was in Europe last year when it first launched and was REALLY excited about it - loved the bottle. Then I skin tested it and the longevity was just crap... barely an hour or two. I thought it was a weak version of the A*men Remix .. and I had just bought Bond Love NY For Men which I thought was much better than it.

It is a cute bottle and if they came out with a KokoRico Intense.. I might reconsider.
    Check out my new blog http://www.NotableScents.net

I fell in love with it immediately after testing and bought a full bottle.

I get very good longevity out of it, about 8 hours.

Its so funny that this thread came up now because I just smelt this for the first time, ever, like 3 days ago (at a duty free actually). I think this fragrance smells like a sweeter, more modern cousin of Carven Homme on my skin. It was not what I was expecting and it didn't really move me that much, but I couldn't deny that the sillage coming from my arm was pleasant. I also found it different from current trends while at the same time feeling familiar. Ultimately, I'm surprised that it did not receive more positive buzz here, even if it isn't all that exciting. Man, our standards must be getting pretty steep :-l

P.S. I thought the longevity was fine based on my preliminary test.
    Summer Rotation:

Versace Pour Homme by Versace
    Cool Water Game by Davidoff
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    H.M. by Hanae Mori
    Vettiveru by Commes Des Garçons
    Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9
    Soon to include "Ab Spirit Silver"

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

Kokoriko translated into greek means Rooster or the Rooster's Cock a Doodle Do

I was at Houston's massive airport and came across a fragrance store. I was excited to see kokorico sitting on the shelf to be tested. Having never smelled nor even looked at the note breakdown, I grab it and spray it once on each wrist 45 min before my next flight. I honestly remember liking it at the time but the smell is unmemorable to me. I completely forgot how it smells or what it smells similar to. I might revisit it but its forgettable to me.

The ads so far haven't been good. I guess they went for drama and quirk with the guy in a flamenco costume and feathers, but it just looks a mess. If they butch up the ads and keep just a touch of whimsy, they'll attract more customers.
    The juice itself? Not memorable to me.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by furrypine; 2nd August 2012 at 01:15 PM.

The fragrance is somewhat decent but it seriously suffers from a suffocating woody amber note taking over during the drydown...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Seems a lot of people think it's a bit generic and nothing special, although I personally think it's quite a rough, interesting, slightly abrasive smell and fairly untypical for the high street.

A lot of comments here are about the ad campaign and the way it's been promoted. That appears to have annoyed a few people - and I can understand why if they've been handed black feathers to sniff! Perhaps the nature of promotion has killed it - although interesting to hear all the 'Guidos in the clubs' are starting to wear it...

Banned

Here ↓↓↓ are my impressions of this "meh" scent, with a Neutral rating:

Kokorico by Jean Paul Gaultier
    - One is initially treated to a rather sweetly exotic melange. Fig leaf, with its sweet greenness and a whisper of milky coconut, commingles with a steamed-rice character from vetiver as well as the diffusive, cacao aspect of patchouli. An alien, rice pudding-like aroma wafts to the middle. Here, in the heart, patchouli comes into its own, with its dark and mysterious, woody greenness, with mossy and camphoraceous highlights, and wrestles with a dry, bittersweet cacao to encase the rather different opening. The green patchouli and the somewhat baker's dark chocolate-like accords are each pronounced, and flow to the slightly remedial base. Virginia cedar, with its pencil-shavings and buttery facets, interplays with the patchouli/cacao concoction, while vetiver imparts its smoky and foresty greenness. A palliated drydown ensues. This composition is nothing to write home about, but rather is an intermixture of existing scents. Its projection and longevity are average.

I quite like Kokorico. It is very nice on my skin and lasts the entire day

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    it smells awful.
    I agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Have not tried it yet. Can't say I like the bottle, which, unless I'm missing something, seems to be a bouncer's head?

I am one of the scarce fanboys of this scents: some of gourmand notes and undertones simply strike a chord with me, besides it is by far not as run-of-the-mill as I expected a JPG to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Have not tried it yet. Can't say I like the bottle, which, unless I'm missing something, seems to be a bouncer's head?
    Nice one!

an underrated scent, composed flawlessly, original. I like it very much

p.s. it has a lot in common with Guerlain L'instant pour homme, however aesthetically it smells very different
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I agree.
    +1. I thought it was pretty horrible.

I really like the stuff. Anything but generic in my eyes.

I don't know about underrated but definitely overlooked.
    I thought it smelled pretty bold, and if I hadn't known it was JPG I wouldn't have been at all surprised to find out.
    Seems like a more obvious choice for clubbing than it's overused competitors, 1 million , Play intense etc..
    I also think the chocolate note is rather more wearable than many gourmands

I thought it a stand out among recent releases.
    I was surprised to see it going cheap recently after the initial very high price.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have read that KoKoRico has been a commercial disaster for JPG. I smelled it and honestly did not like it much. It did not impress me at all. I would not go so far as to say that it was terrible or disgusting, however I would not purchase a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    Kokoriko translated into greek means Rooster or the Rooster's Cock a Doodle Do
    There's a Puerto Rican coconut soda called Coco Rico.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Finally tested this last week and found it nice enough, better than I expected, at least, given all the scorn heaped on it. Not interested in buying it, but it wasn't too bad.

And what about the night version ?

I've surely over looked this one since although it is available in the mall long ago and from one of my favorite houses as well as favorite perfumer, I do not have the urge to smell it. Don't know why though

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    And what about the night version ?
    No one seems to have tried that!

Night version is not good.
    Kokorico + the note from YSL L'Homme or FK Amyris
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

i thought it was ok but nothing particularly special. I do remember the ad campaign - didn't appeal in fact it was off-putting. also the bottle is fugly

I found Kokorico was pretty decent and not too far off in its accord from some newer Amouages (overhyped and terribly overpriced).

I wouldn't go so far to call it generic or boring, as it's interesting for a gourmand, but far from the best...

I got it for Christmas. Very pleased. It's basically a dry patchouli scent but its got a balmy, vetiver, masculine thing going on too (I'm lost for words tonight). It's a great scent.