Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Frowns with Crowns: What frags would you liked to have bought with the money spent at the dentist?

From SotD:
    Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Oh, dear, Quarry! I had a similar situtation—25 year old root canal gone bad, bye-bye, bicuspid—and am about to get an implant that cost more than my last car! Even if I smile real big, it will be barely visible.
    Jujy, I think you and I have a similar value system.
    In descending order of magnitude, I've spent the most money in my lifetime on:
    1) Computer equipment
    2) Mortgage
    3) Teeth
    4) Vehicles

Just recently Mimi was lamenting the cost of a dental crown. I know others of you have, too. For all you've been through, here's a fantasy thread.

If the Tooth Fairy rebated the thousands of dollars you've spent on crowns or root canals, and said fairy insisted all that money was to be spent on perfume. What would you get?

My first few grand would go toward:
    Bois de Violette in a bell jar
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Vintage Mitsouko extrait
    A bevy of bespoke fragrances
    Last edited by Quarry; 2nd August 2012 at 06:11 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: Frowns with Crowns: What frags would you have liked to buy with the money spent at the dentist?

Hugs to you, Q. Teeth are something we all got free first time around but have to pay for each additional set or modifications done.

Haveyoueverconsideredorthopedics? They are available for teeth too, I thought you knew. (I can't believe I said that outloud!).

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Frowns with Crowns: What frags would you have liked to buy with the money spent at the dentist?

I could buy the entire Rosine line, Byredo Pulp, some malles, and and and....
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quarry, what a fun thread idea and a natural opiate again$t your pain.

Hmm. I never had a filling in my life 'till one a month ago and had to get the wisdom teeth out at the same time. I'd have preferred the nearly equivalent expenditure on a new version of CDG EDP + vintage Shocking Schiaparelli in the dressform bottle! Both are so surreal they're like something one would hallucinate post-novocaine.

queen of the universe

Irresistible thread title! Every time I got a new crown—many of gold, which amuses small children no end—I would think of the airfare that represented. That said, I will spend some of my zillions, well 10 to 15 grand, on a ticket to Paris so I can visit Guerlain, Caron, et al, and buy what I wish. Of course $1000 would be spent on tracking down every last bottle of youknowwhat.

p.s. — fwiw, I have never spent more than $5000 for a car; the one I'm driving now, a 1996 Prizm, cost $3,700 ten years ago, with maybe $500 spent every other year on tires or big repairs. That's why I can afford the 'fumes I do have (;
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus

Between the complicated root canal I had done in April and the crown and post I need now, I could buy

Vol de Nuit extrait in the propeller bottle
    Farnesiana extrait
    vintage L'Heure Bleue extrait
    vintage Shalimar extrait
    a bell jar of Fleurs d'Oranger
    a bottle of Angelique Noire

with change left over. );

Fun to dream!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

queen of the universe

Hah, there's thread on fixing a loose cap on Cuir Lancome—not the same thing!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by anomie et ivoire View Post
    Quarry, what a fun thread idea and a natural opiate again$t your pain.

Hmm. I never had a filling in my life 'till one a month ago
    Agree -this is a great thread , Mrs Q !
    Anomie et Ivoire - it's wonderful you have only one filling ! My mouth is like prehistoric times and caves - so my dentist likes to say . Amalgam from the 1970s - it will outlast your bones .

All my dental work including several retainers I have had over the years ...all that money I would happily be able to visit New York and go on a huge perfume spree.
    3 bottles of Carnal Flower
    A bespoke Guerlain !
    I will have to think of more !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Default Re: Frowns with Crowns: What frags would you liked to have bought with the money spent at the dentis

Dental work, I honestly don't mind getting it done, outside of the fact that when " I need to" I always think, well, I should have flossed and brushed three times or more a day and of course, I didn't. Brushed yes, did I ever miss a flossing, well....yes. Anyway, the cost! The absolute worst part. I think I would use the money I've spent on some cloak and dagger to buy as much Guerlain Djedi that I could find.

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Agree -it's wonderful you have only one filling ! My mouth is like prehistoric times and caves - so my dentist likes to say . Amalgam from the 1970s - it will outlast your bones .

All my dental work including several retainers I have had over the years ...all that money I would happily be able to visit New York and go on a huge perfume spree.
    3 bottles of Carnal Flower
    A bespoke Guerlain !
    I will have to think of more !
    Oh, give me a few years! Strangely I got the cavity after quitting being a light smoker. I think smoking activated salivation, and since quitting I've turned to chocolates. Healthy (well healthier) trade. But I do miss the sensual pleasure of a really good cigarette. Perfume lovers must at least sort of understand that double bind attraction.

I see Guerlain is the anti-dentist!

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Hah, there's thread on fixing a loose cap on Cuir Lancome—not the same thing!
    That was me - pretty much the opposite of this thread, I guess.

I would get a pretty hefty payday. Unsurprisingly, I would burn through it all buying up vintage stuff. More Guerlain of course, and some other I've always wanted to try that are gone or reformulated: Nombre Noir, Iris Gris, Cabochard, Djedi, ...

I'd check out those MDCI frags I've been meaning to sniff.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Default Re: Frowns with Crowns: What frags would you liked to have bought with the money spent at the dentis

Something expensive from Guerlain! Great thread!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

God bless the NHS and attending Dental Hospitals who have done most of my dental work. That and my insurance plan which pays for most of my annual upkeep.

At today's prices £100 per annum so £5000. Ok so let me think... Yep the world remaining stocks of Nicky Verfailles Grain de Sables would take care of £5000

Very little frags, since up to know I only needed 1-2 minor inlays when I was a kid and never needed any major teeth surgery, as well as no costly dental treatments either ever since.