Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Chandler Burr Untitled S01E03

I'm happy Mr. Burr got away from his first two mediocre Untitled scents, and with S01E03 has offered us a truly exceptional fragrance from a house that deserves some recognition, and praise. Thank you Chandler for introducing E'trog to others who haven't had the pleasure. The entire Arquiste line is full bottle worthy to my nose. Quality ingedients, first class noses', and priced right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irina View Post
    I think you should do an Untitled Series of your own
    Someday it will happen:

Red's American Trailer Park and French Industrial Studio Apartment of Mainstream Gems, Found in the Better Dumpsters of Better Noses

During which I will console the spirit of the apparently populist tea-master, by teaching that to truly love fragrance, we must learn to love the ones which are hated for being loved by the masses, by finding the parts that would be hated by the masses, if only they could sense them, and loving those most of all.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I'm happy Mr. Burr got away from his first two mediocre Untitled scents, and with S01E03 has offered us a truly exceptional fragrance from a house that deserves some recognition, and praise. Thank you Chandler for introducing E'trog to others who haven't had the pleasure. The entire Arquiste line is full bottle worthy to my nose. Quality ingedients, first class noses', and priced right.
    I think I may look at their other stuff. L'Etrog just wasn't for me, but it sounds like there could be some things there that I might like. Any recommendations you have would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Someday it will happen:

Red's American Trailer Park and French Industrial Studio Apartment of Mainstream Gems, Found in the Better Dumpsters of Better Noses

During which I will console the spirit of the apparently populist tea-master, by teaching that to truly love fragrance, we must learn to love the ones which are hated for being loved by the masses, by finding the parts that would be hated by the masses, if only they could sense them, and loving those most of all.

I think I may look at their other stuff. L'Etrog just wasn't for me, but it sounds like there could be some things there that I might like. Any recommendations you have would be appreciated!
    Perhaps someday Chandler will have guest editions of the untitled series, and you and Irina can offer a selection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Addict View Post
    Perhaps someday Chandler will have guest editions of the untitled series, and you and Irina can offer a selection.
    That would actually be a lot of fun. One of the things I love on BN is how people will have some oddball, unappreciated or common fragrance that they truly love, and can describe very deeply. They can tell you exactly why the think it is so wonderful. Sometimes discovering and sensing that little thing they really love in it can be a revelation, much like the fluorescent green streak in Mugler Cologne, or the buzzing tone in L'Etrog.

There have also been cases where I knew there was something I loved in an unpopular fragrance, but it took a better nose, coming in after mine, to describe it fully. That was also fun. I can definitely see that happening in a series like what you're describing.

Someday it will happen:

I would absolutely adore that! It's exactly what I'm working on: I suffer from a very nasty skeptical streak (I think it's a scientist thing) and I hope to overcome that by indeed like you say: understanding the love and letting it rub off on me.

- - - Updated - - -

While I would totally flip if that would happen I don't think that CB would let anyone steel his thunder. I mean he's the curator and all that. He has a business to run.

- - - Updated - - -

That would actually be a lot of fun. One of the things I love on BN is how people will have some oddball, unappreciated or common fragrance that they truly love, and can describe very deeply. They can tell you exactly why the think it is so wonderful. Sometimes discovering and sensing that little thing they really love in it can be a revelation, much like the fluorescent green streak in Mugler Cologne, or the buzzing tone in L'Etrog.

There have also been cases where I knew there was something I loved in an unpopular fragrance, but it took a better nose, coming in after mine, to describe it fully. That was also fun. I can definitely see that happening in a series like what you're describing.
    Exactly! Red, maybe you would like to join the 'Blind sniffs' project as a host?
    It's another angle than Burr's, but they seem open to 'making it your own'. Just like I plan on pairing mine with blind samples of fragrance ingredients that occur in the fragrances I love
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations

Blog Entries

I don't think that CB would let anyone steel his thunder. I mean he's the curator and all that. He has a business to run.
    If he did, it certainly wouldn't be a bunch of anonymous internet nobodies like us. Though I would love to see what J.C. Ellena or Duchoufour or Malle or someone really notable in the business would pick for something like this.

But I echo the statement I made a couple of months ago - it would be really easy for us to do a small-time version of this within ourselves. Yes, there's already the blind sniff, but that's more of a who-can-guess-the-notes-and-google-them-fastest contest than a drawn-out study.

If we're serious, we could do it. I for one would give Red $10 to send me a sample of something he found really interesting, or we could just do a big trade between 5 or 10 of us.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    If he did, it certainly wouldn't be a bunch of anonymous internet nobodies like us. Though I would love to see what J.C. Ellena or Duchoufour or Malle or someone really notable in the business would pick for something like this.

But I echo the statement I made a couple of months ago - it would be really easy for us to do a small-time version of this within ourselves. Yes, there's already the blind sniff, but that's more of a who-can-guess-the-notes-and-google-them-fastest contest than a drawn-out study.

If we're serious, we could do it. I for one would give Red $10 to send me a sample of something he found really interesting, or we could just do a big trade between 5 or 10 of us.
    LOL Now that is humbling us down Irina Nobody sounds about right LOL

I totally agree with you, we should totally do this, dude!
    But with tact (begging Red for his diplomatic talents!) as I don't want to hurt the lovely ladies of the blind sniff...
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

Personally I would not want to be in Chandler's shoes when it comes to making the selections for this series. As somewhat of a beginner, there are plenty of interesting things that I have not smelled, but which he knows that many people on this site would be able to identify at the drop of a hat.

Sure there are a lot of folks who may be a part of the project, yet are just as uneducated as myself. I don't remember now who it was who said it, but one of the best comments I've heard so far was from someone who said that, given his lack of experience, almost all fragrances were "Untitled" to him, even if they came with their original labels on them.

But since much of the actual discussion is happening here (and CB knows it) and that having a discussion is something I believe he'd like to see happen, if I were him, I'd be making a point of selecting things that people here might have a hard time identifying.....which leaves out a whole lot of stuff.

Stuff that already comes with a well-established set of perceptions for many in the discussion here.

But not for me, and not for a lot of other people, I expect.

So I have some respect for how it must be for him, when it comes to factoring all that in, and then deciding what,and what not to include.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Personally I would not want to be in Chandler's shoes when it comes to making the selections for this series. As somewhat of a beginner, there are plenty of interesting things that I have not smelled, but which he knows that many people on this site would be able to identify at the drop of a hat.

Sure there are a lot of folks who may be a part of the project, yet are just as uneducated as myself. I don't remember now who it was who said it, but one of the best comments I've heard so far was from someone who said that, given his lack of experience, almost all fragrances were "Untitled" to him, even if they came with their original labels on them.

But since much of the actual discussion is happening here (and CB knows it) and that having a discussion is something I believe he'd like to see happen, if I were him, I'd be making a point of selecting things that people here might have a hard time identifying.....which leaves out a whole lot of stuff.

Stuff that already comes with a well-established set of perceptions for many in the discussion here.

But not for me, and not for a lot of other people, I expect.

So I have some respect for how it must be for him, when it comes to factoring all that in, and then deciding what,and what not to include.
    Totally agree. I also think that some other factors may have weighted in like costs, availability and willingness of the manufacturers, just like generating PR for the upcoming MAD events and the Olfactory Department in general. It is his job and business after all.
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Blog Entries

I totally agree with you, we should totally do this, dude!
    But with tact (begging Red for his diplomatic talents!) as I don't want to hurt the lovely ladies of the blind sniff...
    I'd really like to let Chandler's show have the limelight for at least the remainder of this year, but perhaps we can do something fascinating like this in 2013. I know that just trying to sniff SoS's stuff on the Zatoichi thread became rather daunting in combination with the mindshare needed for Chandler's project.

But let's definitely do it. We *can* think about the format. It will be tough to do it on multiple continents - we may have to have at least two people "in the know" to facilitate distribution and whatnot. So let's just keep this in mind as the Untitled series teaches us more and more about logistics (and I do agree about not wanting to bump into the existing blind sniffs - this should be its own special "thing").

I'm definitely going to be at the museum opening, and I'm going to be posting and writing up a storm about it. I want to have the rest of this year to deal with that. After that, however, I'm off the hook.

I think Friede said she's going - is anybody else thinking about it?

Yes, there's already the blind sniff, but that's more of a who-can-guess-the-notes-and-google-them-fastest contest than a drawn-out study.
    You are absolutely correct and the whole thing did not start like that or was not planned to be that way. It upsets me greatly and I am doing everything possible to bring it back to the real in-depth discussion like we had it when SMM was an active participant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    You are absolutely correct and the whole thing did not start like that or was not planned to be that way. It upsets me greatly and I am doing everything possible to bring it back to the real in-depth discussion like we had it when SMM was an active participant.
    Doh! I had no idea. That being said, the people love it as it is now (there aren't very many exciting perfume contests out there!), so I'd imagine it would be difficult to change it much after all this time. Obviously, we have to include Twolf if we do a slow intellectual unknown sniff!
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Would love to participate in either function.

I'd really like to let Chandler's show have the limelight for at least the remainder of this year, but perhaps we can do something fascinating like this in 2013. I know that just trying to sniff SoS's stuff on the Zatoichi thread became rather daunting in combination with the mindshare needed for Chandler's project.

But let's definitely do it. We *can* think about the format. It will be tough to do it on multiple continents - we may have to have at least two people "in the know" to facilitate distribution and whatnot. So let's just keep this in mind as the Untitled series teaches us more and more about logistics (and I do agree about not wanting to bump into the existing blind sniffs - this should be its own special "thing").

I'm definitely going to be at the museum opening, and I'm going to be posting and writing up a storm about it. I want to have the rest of this year to deal with that. After that, however, I'm off the hook.

I think Friede said she's going - is anybody else thinking about it?
    I would have liked to go to the museum opening, but after spending my travel budget going to Italy this summer, and being involved in a wedding this fall, its not going to happen.

I wouldn't want to tread on Chandlers toes by starting a BN-hosted sniff series (other than the one Twolf is already doing), but at some point in the future it might be fun to have anyone who is interested post a description of the scent(s) they would share, and have the group vote on which to explore. I think the general consensus is that its not easy to choose a fragrance and then present the aspects that are interesting in a way that encourages people to live with it and explore it rather than turn it into a guessing game. I am also in the camp that found S01E03 even more interesting because it wasn't something I could ever have guessed.

I wouldn't want to tread on Chandlers toes by starting a BN-hosted sniff series (other than the one Twolf is already doing), but at some point in the future it might be fun to have anyone who is interested post a description of the scent(s) they would share, and have the group vote on which to explore. I think the general consensus is that its not easy to choose a fragrance and then present the aspects that are interesting in a way that encourages people to live with it and explore it rather than turn it into a guessing game. I am also in the camp that found S01E03 even more interesting because it wasn't something I could ever have guessed.
    Great points!
    Great to see you here, Twolf, you're doing a great job
    But like PA says above: my problem is also the focus on guessing. I wouldn't mind just skip that step all together and have a set time/day for a reveal and then go on with the show (aka discussion about the frag itself).

Does anyone knows how long the CB series will go on? Because now it's S01, will the S02 begin in 2013, S03 in 2014 etc.?
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Does anyone knows how long the CB series will go on? Because now it's S01, will the S02 begin in 2013, S03 in 2014 etc.?
    I would have to guess that he would stop if it becomes commercially unsustainable. They only offered 125 of S01E03, and are just now (post-reveal) down to the final two bottles. If I were Burr, I might not want to continue to invest my time and effort into the project if it can't cast a wider net than this. Don't get me wrong - I hope he keeps doing it for years - but nobody wants to continue to invest their time in a project that isn't reaching the anticipated audience.

Irina the plan is for each season to be twelve episodes long. so after S01E12 the next should be S02E01.

- - - Updated - - -

i think this is what I've taken away from the first three episodes too. L'Etrog was my least favorite of the Arquistes and as a result I spent very little time with it. After I wore it my two times for review purposes I have never touched it again. When it came unlabeled as E03 I spent a lot of time with it and in the end came to the realization that I still didn't like it. the difference is this time i really held it up to the light and examined it from different angles. One thing I've been doing this week is re-assessing the whole Arquiste line with an eye towards really looking at effect and architecture.
    After doing this I still remain firmly convinced that Anima Dulcis is the best of the original six.
    The one which has moved upward in my estimation after this exercise is Aleksandr. the reason is this also goes for the pure central tone but this time it is one I find soothing and pleasant and an effect I completely missed on my first experience with the line. That is the hazard of getting the umpteenth multi-fragrance collection at my doorstep. When having to review in a timely manner as much as I want to the nuances are going to be missed when I have to try six fragrances all together.
    Red you asked which ones I think are good here is my opinion of Arquiste:
    I own two of them Anima Dulcis because I just think it is one of the best perfumes of the last couple years.
    Infanta en Flor because i think you know i love me some immortelle add in some leather, amber and orange blossom and i am sold, literally.
    Aleksandr is meant to evoke a winter's day and it has a big slug of fir in the heart which is the tone at the heart of it that i discovered recently.
    Flor y Canto is a white flower extravaganza and not necessarily anything new but it is well done for this style.
    Fleure de Louis doesn't fully come together but there is an excellent source of orris in this which I particularly keyed into this week when re-trying it.
    I again go back to my analogy of monochromatic modern art when describing L'Etrog. I appreciate the skill and intent it took to make the effect but after giving it my full attention it fails to hold it beyond the borders of that examination.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Blog Entries

^ Thanks for the great and revived/refreshed, post-E03 reviews. Much appreciated!

Aleksandr sounds like a conehead's delight!

Thank you Mark, I will be definitely sample all of this line, sounds fantastic and right up my alley as I wear L'Etrog almost daily now, love it to pieces!
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Great idea. Let me talk to my Open Sky people.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chandlerburr View Post
    Great idea. Let me talk to my Open Sky people.
    *gulp*

Seriously, there is nothing that makes one realize how difficult something is, as the momentary thought of actually doing it. Perusing my own lists and wardrobe in my mind, I can envision disaster after disaster. Quite sobering. Respect for the fact that we've had 3 with only minor logistical problems, rather than any fundamental crash-and-burns due to, simply, the wrong choice of a fragrance (which I now realize is shockingly easy to do!)

Mentally, I'm underlining Perfume_Addict's word "someday" with as much Red as possible.

*gulp*

Seriously, there is nothing that makes one realize how difficult something is, as the momentary thought of actually doing it. Perusing my own lists and wardrobe in my mind, I can envision disaster after disaster. Quite sobering. Respect for the fact that we've had 3 with only minor logistical problems, rather than any fundamental crash-and-burns due to, simply, the wrong choice of a fragrance (which I now realize is shockingly easy to do!)

Mentally, I'm underlining Perfume_Addict's word "someday" with as much Red as possible.
    OOooor it could go really, really well for all concerned. Most really cool challenges start out with that feeling. Look, you already know what the problems could be far better than 99.9% of the people out there. Have some confidence geez.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by patentgeek View Post
    OOooor it could go really, really well for all concerned. Most really cool challenges start out with that feeling. Look, you already know what the problems could be far better than 99.9% of the people out there. Have some confidence geez.
    LOL!

Yeah, you're right. But my fears go something like this....

A Japanese raccoon dog - the secretive tanuki - slips cautiously into the "gentlemen's" room in a bus station. The terror of smaller animals, it cares not that its own olfactory reputation precedes it. Tendrils of wonder and horror intertwine, reaching into every place with no escape. Simultaneously, at the same time, in the scandalous revelation of fluorescent light, gleaming white tiles remind one of both the attractions and revulsions of le slideur - the penetrating olfactory signature of White Castle, worn by some tribes as the purest of perfume. The word "crave" was wisely staked out by the marketers of these shocking croissants - forever linked to the sexy side of white, glossy ceramic, as if we somehow all secretly yearn for the forbidden yet pure love of James Spader and Susan Sarandon.

Curiously, the animal sniffs a sparking white disk. It is here that almost all metaphors for S03E01 lead.

Red,

I think Chandler understands that we have folks here who know a thing or two about fragrances of interest and worth, and I have a sense that you're one of them.

*go Red* go Red *go Red *insert cheerleaders pompoms*
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

LOL!

Yeah, you're right. But my fears go something like this....

A Japanese raccoon dog - the secretive tanuki - slips cautiously into the "gentlemen's" room in a bus station. The terror of smaller animals, it cares not that its own olfactory reputation precedes it. Tendrils of wonder and horror intertwine, reaching into every place with no escape. Simultaneously, at the same time, in the scandalous revelation of fluorescent light, gleaming white tiles remind one of both the attractions and revulsions of le slideur - the penetrating olfactory signature of White Castle, worn by some tribes as the purest of perfume. The word "crave" was wisely staked out by the marketers of these shocking croissants - forever linked to the sexy side of white, glossy ceramic, as if we somehow all secretly yearn for the forbidden yet pure love of James Spader and Susan Sarandon.

Curiously, the animal sniffs a sparking white disk. It is here that almost all metaphors for S03E01 lead.

I can see you have great potential (and by the way, my guess based on your description is Gaga's Fame--am I correct?) LOL j/k. Anyway if invited i do hope you accept. It'd be genius to work with Chandler (and you could always enlist the help of other talented ppl here I'm sure).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Red,

I think Chandler understands that we have folks here who know a thing or two about fragrances of interest and worth, and I have a sense that you're one of them.
    *go Red* go Red *go Red *insert cheerleaders pompoms*
    LOL!

As I've spent the morning cleaning up black walnuts from the yard, I had a chance to think about a lot of things I've learned from folks here, and I really think that many of those people could plead the case for a scent, just as they have done when we all knew what it was. In fact, we *have* done this, but only in a clumsier and more impassioned way, as we try to convince our fellow BNers of *why, oh why* we fell for some scent that - upon a very tired and casual sniff - seems to fall in a bin with all the others. Many of our arguments lean to the artistic, so culling out some of those fragrant gems makes a lot of sense.

So yes - I've been working on ways to describe some of the scents that I feel deserve artistic scrutiny. But I will not kid you that doing so while (a) being true to the art, (b) not revealing the scent to a very deep reader, and (c) saying enough to energize the masses - that is one *tall* order. It is not something that one just thinks up on the fly. I suspect that Chandler engaged in many hours of thoughtful meditation on trains, planes, and subways, to come up with this series.

Taking part in this series in an active way is, indeed, how we can prepare to make such arguments. This series is a very unique classroom, and at today's tuition prices, a total steal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by patentgeek View Post
    I can see you have great potential (and by the way, my guess based on your description is Gaga's Fame--am I correct?) LOL j/k. Anyway if invited i do hope you accept. It'd be genius to work with Chandler (and you could always enlist the help of other talented ppl here I'm sure).
    Anything I can do - with a clean conscience - to help the olfactory arts. That is my bottom line. Even if I have to kick myself in the ass to do it.

And what you say about others is so true. Singling out any of my fellow BNers would be wrong, because there are so many I have learned so much from, and who know so much more than I do. And THAT is what I think would make a great series - a variety of viewpoints, well argued, and edited by Chandler. Something like an olfactory review journal. In fact, I think this might even be one of the best solutions to the problem of doing a "general appreciation" series, with a wider focus. (Ditto ones submitted from noted perfumers. That would be a terribly interesting focus as well.)

My E03 came today. For one brief, excited moment I thought E04 had come, too, but I guess I get a few days to try this one before that comes.

I'll post my impressions tonight. I thoughtlessly sprayed myself when this came, forgetting that I was already wearing Flowerbomb. The combo is...very not good. I smell like fuzzy navels and lip gloss and half a bottle of Escada. Add the smell of crack, and its Paris Hilton on a bender.

Ah well, looking forward to smelling the undiluted juice after a shower!
    The question that women casually shopping for perfume ask more than any other is this: "What scent drives men wild?" After years of intense research, we know the definitive answer. It is bacon. Now, on to the far more interesting subject of perfume.
    ― Tania Sanchez, Perfumes: The Guide

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Windblownhair View Post
    My E03 came today. For one brief, excited moment I thought E04 had come, too, but I guess I get a few days to try this one before that comes.

I'll post my impressions tonight. I thoughtlessly sprayed myself when this came, forgetting that I was already wearing Flowerbomb. The combo is...very not good. I smell like fuzzy navels and lip gloss and half a bottle of Escada. Add the smell of crack, and its Paris Hilton on a bender.

Ah well, looking forward to smelling the undiluted juice after a shower!
    That could be an interesting combination!

I've been spotting similarly tonal fragrances since E03, and they're all pretty interesting, although I can imagine some of them clashing rather easily and rather badly, too. I've layered a few, but never with anything like Flowerbomb. Not so sure about that.... I will take your word on the Hiltonesque results!

My first full day of undiluted juice, and it has been an interesting one. The scent is very, very persistent. It was 12 hours ago that I put it on, and it didn't become a skin scent until a couple of hours ago.

The scent isn't one I would have chosen on my own. I like my citrus scents a little brighter. This one feels like a heavy citrus. Interesting, yes, pretty even, but like wanting to buy chiffon curtains and ending up with brocade. I'm looking forward to a few more days of wearing this scent. Definitely a scent where I wonder if it will grow on me.
    The question that women casually shopping for perfume ask more than any other is this: "What scent drives men wild?" After years of intense research, we know the definitive answer. It is bacon. Now, on to the far more interesting subject of perfume.
    ― Tania Sanchez, Perfumes: The Guide

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Windblownhair View Post
    My first full day of undiluted juice, and it has been an interesting one. The scent is very, very persistent. It was 12 hours ago that I put it on, and it didn't become a skin scent until a couple of hours ago.

The scent isn't one I would have chosen on my own. I like my citrus scents a little brighter. This one feels like a heavy citrus. Interesting, yes, pretty even, but like wanting to buy chiffon curtains and ending up with brocade. I'm looking forward to a few more days of wearing this scent. Definitely a scent where I wonder if it will grow on me.
    I waffled on it. I was going to get a second small bottle, but in the end, I just realized that I didn't love it enough, and let the opportunity pass.

A very interesting citrus, but that's not enough for me to buy something these days. I have a few mL left, and that will be enough, I think.