Code of Conduct

Thread: the hype train

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default the hype train

its definitely true that there are a lot of fragrances that are constantly well liked, but i think the hype around here goes in cycles. it's almost been a year here and i observed a lot of changes in what is hyped.

in 2011, Green Irish Tweed was THE fragrance to get. The most well regarded on the site. Now in 2012, Aventus is by far the most talked about. It was released in 2010, so it took a year and half for people to start liking it.

Dior Homme and M7 were REALLY hyped a few months ago. Yeah, people like them now, but you don't hear nearly as much as a few months ago.

i think hype honestly gives people biases toward fragrances they wouldn't normally consider.

now la nuit is in its hype cycle, but i say in a few months, it'll fade away.

Default Re: the hype train

90% of the stuff that gets hyped here is usually hyped for good reason, it's good. Hype is nothing more than a large number of people enjoying something and being vocal about it. BN is a collection of very intelligent fragrance fans, if they're all (or mostly) agreeing on something new being wonderful, chances are it is wonderful, or at least worth checking out.

The reason it seems cyclical (the same with hype about bands, movies, etc) is because it's new and exciting at the time.. it doesn't mean after a few months and the hoopla dies down that the scent is any less wonderful, just means that its moment has passed.

Hype is gonna exist on any forum, be it cigars, cars, movies, etc. When something quality comes out, the fans of the genre will recognize it and say as much. It shouldn't bother anyone, can't see why it would.

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    90% of the stuff that gets hyped here is usually hyped for good reason, it's good. Hype is nothing more than a large number of people enjoying something and being vocal about it. BN is a collection of very intelligent fragrance fans, if they're all (or mostly) agreeing on something new being wonderful, chances are it is wonderful, or at least worth checking out.

The reason it seems cyclical (the same with hype about bands, movies, etc) is because it's new and exciting at the time.. it doesn't mean after a few months and the hoopla dies down that the scent is any less wonderful, just means that its moment has passed.

Hype is gonna exist on any forum, be it cigars, cars, movies, etc. When something quality comes out, the fans of the genre will recognize it and say as much. It shouldn't bother anyone, can't see why it would.
    Well stated.

I do like to sniff the hype train passengers!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alvus View Post
    I do like to sniff the hype train passengers!
    LOL!!

Yeah, I get on board a lot of hype trains. Some are just plain going in the wrong direction, and I'll stay off those, but if I think it'll get me where I'm going, it's "ALL ABOARD" for me!

The above is partly true but I also think you get big rushes of hype about GIT, MI, Bois de Portugal, Tobacco Vanille etc due to new people joining who have just discovered niche with Creed & Tom Ford being the most common entry level lines for many. The other characteristic seems to be newer young male members with a sweet tooth - hence L'Instant pour Homme Intense, SDV, TV, the Thierry Mugler stuff, Back to Black etc. get lots of raves - kids in a candy shop

Basenotes Junkie

So far, in the 8 months since I've been a part of basenotes I have discovered that, for the most part, the hype train is not for me. I haven't liked most of the hyped fragrances. I'm not saying their bad by any means, they just don't do it for me. I'm pretty much discovering that if I go in the opposite direction from the "hype" train, then I find the frags that I truly like. Don't get me wrong, I will always seek out the hyped ones and give them a whiff, and if they're all that and a bag of chips then I'll probably get them. This frag journey is a lot cooler than I had anticipated, and it is quite the addiction. I'm glad that I'm able to form my own opinions and I'm glad that I'm ok with liking what I like...I think that's most important when it comes to this fascinating hobby. So, thanks, all, for all your word of wisdom...a lot of you have an amazing way of describing frags so that I am not surprised when I smell them...you're descriptions are that good. I'm just glad that fragrances themselves are the "hype" here.

Be patient and sample first. You'll never get burned by hype.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Be patient and sample first. You'll never get burned by hype.
    Good advice. My wallet has 3rd degree burns all over it. But I have some very fancy paperweights...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Why do you call it hype? Some of the frag on you countdown have been hyped. If it gets talked about its probably good. If not someone will say so. Its not like everyone agrees all the time. Sure there are some frags that are liked more than others but if you do your research you will know if its for you or not. If your just buying based on hype then that's what you like? I think we fall for it sometimes we want to belive something could be that good but oh well live and learn

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Good advice. My wallet has 3rd degree burns all over it. But I have some very fancy paperweights...
    I hear ya. The first couple of times you can chalk it up to a learning experience. After that you feel like you just got punked.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

As a newbie I was skeptical and couldn't believe that one frag was so much better than so many others. I also realized I had a lot to learn. Over time I came to agree with those who said the original versions of old frags were the most compelling, but I do like a few niche. The hyped frags never appealed to me, when I got around to sampling them. GIT is a nice frag but a bit simple for what I generally prefer, and $100+ for a bottle doesn't make sense to me (though if I was a billionaire it would be fine and I'd have a few bottles of it).

The hype around Green Irish Tweed isn't new at all. I wasn't on these boards years ago, but I guarantee it was getting hyped back then too. GIT is timeless and will stay at the top of the heap for years to come unless Creed does something crazy to wreck it (highly unlikely).

La Nuit was hyped more before summer and it'll probably gain some again this in months to come rather than fade. Why? Common sense: La Nuit isn't a summer scent. Cooler weather means more people will be enjoying it.

The Aventus hype isn't new either. Heck, one Aventus thread here reached over 15 pages long by the end of 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    So far, in the 8 months since I've been a part of basenotes I have discovered that, for the most part, the hype train is not for me. I haven't liked most of the hyped fragrances. I'm not saying their bad by any means, they just don't do it for me. I'm pretty much discovering that if I go in the opposite direction from the "hype" train, then I find the frags that I truly like. Don't get me wrong, I will always seek out the hyped ones and give them a whiff, and if they're all that and a bag of chips then I'll probably get them. This frag journey is a lot cooler than I had anticipated, and it is quite the addiction. I'm glad that I'm able to form my own opinions and I'm glad that I'm ok with liking what I like...I think that's most important when it comes to this fascinating hobby. So, thanks, all, for all your word of wisdom...a lot of you have an amazing way of describing frags so that I am not surprised when I smell them...you're descriptions are that good. I'm just glad that fragrances themselves are the "hype" here.
    THIS!

You don't have to intentionally go in the opposite direction... just use your own nose as a guide and go wherever it takes you. The nose knows

The funny thing about hype is that some people feel the need to become part of it because they want to be part of something. They're joiners. They want to feel important and they want others to think they're in the know. They're rarely the ones on the leading edge of the hype. Grassroots hype begins with genuine excitement and it builds as joiners jump on board for the cool factor. It's true in politics, it's true in music, and it's true with fragrances. Others feel the need to analyze hype to death because they cannot grasp why everyone else's opinions aren't identical to their own, or why theirs is different than everyone else's.

That's not to say everyone who likes Aventus or La Nuit is a joiner. No way.

The root of hype is other people's enthusiasm. It's neither good nor bad and can be useful so long as you have the maturity to be your own person, just as Kybid mentioned above. Use your own nose to form your own opinions and, regardless of whether you go with the flow, you'll end up with fragrances you enjoy rather than ones you tricked yourself into thinking you're supposed to enjoy.

Another benefit of the "hype mechanism" of basenotes is I always take notice when a scent comes out that seems like it'll be a big hit only to find virtually zero talk about it. Good example is Heeley's Agarwoud. I assumed it was going to be one of those big fragrances but instead it's been crickets. I finally got around to sampling it and now I know why, a real dud!

Cafe Rose I'm also expecting a lot of hype for, but so far it's been kinda quiet. Guess we'll see. You're totally right to be suspicious of the hype (I'm looking at you Aventus) but for the most part I don't mind it. I've discovered some really great scents I would've otherwise overlooked because of people never shutting up about them :P

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    The above is partly true but I also think you get big rushes of hype about GIT, MI, Bois de Portugal, Tobacco Vanille etc due to new people joining who have just discovered niche with Creed & Tom Ford being the most common entry level lines for many. The other characteristic seems to be newer young male members with a sweet tooth - hence L'Instant pour Homme Intense, SDV, TV, the Thierry Mugler stuff, Back to Black etc. get lots of raves - kids in a candy shop
    Word

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I hate the hype train! If I knew better, I would have bought a couple hundred samples, select a solid wardrobe, then delete my Basenotes account...

With semi-daily threads about DHI and/or Aventus all the answers are pretty much already out there and everything there is to say has pretty much already been said. I don't think it's so much a decline as it's the subjects have been thoroughly mapped out.

Firstly, I tend to float above the hype, as it tends to be limited to a certain number of lines I'm typically apathetic to.

Secondly? This is why I love the women's forum. And it has nothing to do with the gender ( all the guys I like here also post there, but the kingdom of Pure Malt - or insert the craze du jour - is mostly confined here ).

After a few years joining basenotes one learns to recognize a few basenoters that are true aficionados with a tremendous knowledge of fragrances. They dont post much but when they do their comments are a good thermometer and indication of the true colors of a fragrance.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Bois du Portugal.. Where has all the hype gone? Couple of years ago it was elected as the best niche fragrance here at Basenotes. Nowdays, it seems almost forgotten..

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post

I think its very well said! Hype is something that will always surround an object thats popular among the people. It may not be the best, but it just has to be popular. Like others said, dont just hop on the hype train, do some sampling! Although it can always be used as a reference, a hype is still subjective.
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

I like the hype train and have purchased many frag whilst onboard. All in all I have had more success than failures with my purchases onboard the hype train. Long may it run.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Bois du Portugal.. Where has all the hype gone? Couple of years ago it was elected as the best niche fragrance here at Basenotes. Nowdays, it seems almost forgotten..
    Sailim left

BdP is still one of my fav. fragrances Sailim was right
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

lol.... I remember Sailim he used to start five threads per frag he was interested in, I think he was driving the hype train for a while at least.

A few on the current hype train: 24 Gold, Le Dandy, L'Essence de Cerutti

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I like the hype train and have purchased many frag whilst onboard. All in all I have had more success than failures with my purchases onboard the hype train. Long may it run.
    In my short time here, I wholeheartedly agree. Had much more successes than failures with a lot of BN favourites.

YSL La Nuit, or another one? I've seen it mainly getting bashed here, mixed comments at best. Never even heard about Le Dandy.
    24 Gold, L'Essence de Cerutti...tiny bit of hype perhaps, but generally just a couple of people who discovered these scents raving about them or simply bringing them to other BN's attention. Spicebomb was deeper in hype territory, I'd say. And of course Mugler and Creed, DHI, and so on, driven by all the shills. lol just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    YSL La Nuit, or another one? I've seen it mainly getting bashed here, mixed comments at best. Never even heard about Le Dandy.
    24 Gold, L'Essence de Cerutti...tiny bit of hype perhaps, but generally just a couple of people who discovered these scents raving about them or simply bringing them to other BN's attention. Spicebomb was deeper in hype territory, I'd say. And of course Mugler and Creed, DHI, and so on, driven by all the shills. lol just kidding.
    Le Dandy was getting the hype treatment on the facebook groups more than here.

I honestly think in 4 years that the hype train has never picked me up. I try alot of things hyped but don't like them near as much as others so I find the word "hype" fits. I guess I'm kind of the boring daily commute train that likes consistency
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I think hype somewhat follows the turn of seasons, you're not going to get a lot of hype in the summer for heavy fragrances.

As for Green Irish Tweed, when has that ever not been talked about.

Some fragrances that get hyped though don't deserve all of it, I'm looking at you Aventus.

The hype train is great IMHO. It screams look at this check this out NOW! Which I appreciate very much, when someone finds a diamond in the rough and gives the community a heads up they are doing you a favor not a disservice . Just because people are saying check something out doesn't mean you have to buy it. They are only alerting you to something that is smell worthy out of the thousands of frags out there on he market today.

I started this hobby 5 months ago with zero bottles and no clue. It took me a month to find the frag community online and must say that without the hype my collection would be 80% garbage, because it would have taken me years at the very least to discover the great frags that the hype train has brought into my life.

The hype train has saved me both money and time, because I know without the hype train and the general knowledge put out by the fragrance community there is no way a person like me could have learned so much and amassed such high quality bottles in such a short amount of time on their own.

I wonder if I started 25 celeb scent threads..if people would jump on the celeb scent train...OMGOSH I JUST LAYERED Beiber's Someday with Jessica Simpson's Fancy... SO GOOD! lol
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    I wonder if I started 25 celeb scent threads..if people would jump on the celeb scent train...OMGOSH I JUST LAYERED Beiber's Someday with Jessica Simpson's Fancy... SO GOOD! lol
    I think that would start a huge backlash of anti-hype! Lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gilesjp View Post
    The hype train is great IMHO. It screams look at this check this out NOW! Which I appreciate very much, when someone finds a diamond in the rough and gives the community a heads up they are doing you a favor not a disservice . Just because people are saying check something out doesn't mean you have to buy it. They are only alerting you to something that is smell worthy out of the thousands of frags out there on he market today.

I started this hobby 5 months ago with zero bottles and no clue. It took me a month to find the frag community online and must say that without the hype my collection would be 80% garbage, because it would have taken me years at the very least to discover the great frags that the hype train has brought into my life.

The hype train has saved me both money and time, because I know without the hype train and the general knowledge put out by the fragrance community there is no way a person like me could have learned so much and amassed such high quality bottles in such a short amount of time on their own.
    You are absoluety correct. I agree 100%. As long as you use the hype as a tool to investigate further and not as a trigger to make blind purchase. Overall hype is nothing more than a neon sign saying "Look here!". As long as you look before you leap...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    You laugh, but a few here seem to need to start a new thread every time they try a frag rather than add their comments to one of the tons of existing threads.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    You laugh, but a few here seem to need to start a new thread every time they try a frag rather than add their comments to one of the tons of existing threads.
    I've noticed that. Threads with identical subjects show up resting one on top of the other a few times a week, it seems. I don't mind the hype, either, as it's spurred me to go back to a few frags that I didn't like the first time around (Pure Malt, Terre d'Hermes) but grew to love later. I just wish that people would actually use the THREADS more consistently.

Basenotes Plus

Sorry, had to laugh.

You aren't kidding. It is too hard to use the search feature.

What was it, about 2 weeks ago, there were 3 threads started the same day about Aventus hype?

Banned
    Blog Entries

most likely a dig at me, but it's that or necrobumping, a catch 22. lol.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I cannot speak for L'Homme, but I do not see it as a dig at you, but more a generalization of what happens on this site.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    I cannot speak for L'Homme, but I do not see it as a dig at you, but more a generalization of what happens on this site.
    Exactly. The mods also used to be more proactive about merging threads, but it's gotten very difficult for them to keep up.

Generally speaking, the big new releases (Windsor, Aventus, Bleu, when they launched) got pretty good monitoring at first, to make sure that we all stayed in the same thread. But people have to try a little bit, too, to make the mods' job easier - especially on medium-big launches. I think we had 2 or 3 for Spicebomb, for instance.

For me, the hype train brought an immense personal advantage along with it:

making me attentive regarding scents which, apart from the hype, where actually good or even outstanding.

Yup. It takes seconds to type in a name and hit 'Search' but that's clearly a challenge for a lot of people. Hell, even looking a few Threads down on the same page seems to be difficult.

I don't get the hype train - nothing is a standout in general and merely something that followed by a hefty price tag, as mentioned before has a decent dose of sugar and and absolutely nothing of a challenge.
    It is the train of mediocre fragrance getting pushed to higher levels of appreciation through numerous over-exaggerated stories of how many compliments it gets you and how much underwear has fallen because of it - yeh right.
    I say run in the opposite direction of whatever hype train is in motion becuase it'll crash and burn soon and you'll be left with 90ml of the juice that no-one shares the love of any more.
    Chergui, one of the most boring of the Lutens' line up. LADDM - definitely not the best in a line where Tauer uses this structure and enhances it so much more in fragrances like Lonestar Memories. Blah blah blah this has all been explained hundreds of times I won't add on.
    Enjoy the ride folks

To me, hype means pimping frags that are not particularity good.

But how are we to know when the item in question actually is good ?

At the very least, hype-like energy among our members alerts us to something that has the potential to stand out, and clues like that are always welcome, whether it all turns out to be hype or not.

As with any other frag, we must still sniff and judge for ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    It's not a dig at you. It's just a fact. But since you've started naming your "Here's what I tried today" threads after yourself in thread titles, it does call attention to how often you do this.

I'm not sure what necrobumping is. I assume you mean you think people don't like old threads being bumped up. Actually, by adding to existing conversations rather than constantly starting new ones about the same topic, it improves basenotes as a whole. It brings information together rather than spreading it out across more of the same threads and having to repeat it across multiple threads. This is especially handy for searching, both here on BN and searches via google.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Diva D View Post
    I've noticed that. Threads with identical subjects show up resting one on top of the other a few times a week, it seems. I don't mind the hype, either, as it's spurred me to go back to a few frags that I didn't like the first time around (Pure Malt, Terre d'Hermes) but grew to love later. I just wish that people would actually use the THREADS more consistently.
    Exactly. I don't mind the hype - even the over the top hype. There have been times where it's caused me to revisit a fragrance I'd written off for one reason or another. But, yeah, threads are awesome
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 12th September 2012 at 02:06 AM.

I think the "most female compliments" thread contributes in a way for Aventus' popularity.