Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Blog Entries

Default Chandler Burr Untitled S01E03

OK, people! I'm starting a new thread. Who's in?

Looks like they're not all sold yet. Here's the URL:

https://opensky.com/chandlerburr/pro...-series-s01e03

They were marked "SOLD OUT" last night, but it seems that was just how OpenSky kept them on hold until they opened up the sales. They were on sale this morning. I'm down for a bottle.

I'm quoting Chander here for easy reference:

To wear a scent is to take a syringe, suck a liquid neural impression from a bottle up into the cylinder, insert the needle into a vein and— stand back—jam down the plunger. Intravenous drug effects are almost instant and systemic—the entire body reacts with the drug at full power. Scents are the same, just without the needles, but you don’t need needles; works of olfactory art are shot via the air via the sense of smell directly into the most primitive parts of our brains. If the work of art is great—John Tavener's "Funeral Canticle," poured into the sense of hearing, for instance—you are transfigured.

What a work of scent art can do, and what S01E03 does, that a drug cannot it to transfer its effects to those around you. It’s as if you could shoot up and share the high.

This is, of course, the more or less unspoken premise of 90% of the commercial scents out there. Like recreational drugs, the premise is pleasure, all of this conveyed visually. Christy Turlington is in the perfume’s ad as a promise that she (you, in advertising’s ubiquitous Freudian transference) will be penetrated by the person with whom she shares it.

Like all great works of olfactory art, S01E03, which is not a commercial scent, confirms scent’s power when shared. It confirms it several ways.

E03 demonstrates, for example, that what can roughly be termed volume is a hugely important design piece to all olfactory works. I don’t mean volume merely in the crude, obvious sense of turning the dial up to 10, or using blinding neon acrylics, or packing a scent with a molecule called Karenal, whose decibel level can make your metaphorical ears bleed. Volume is also tonality and texture—smooth vs. rough, clear vs. opaque, an upper (to return to the drug metaphor) vs. an anxiolytic. E03 is pure tone, like a steel tuning fork held up in the air humming a perfect A to the cochlea. Smooth. Clear. But the odd, beautiful thing is that E03 is simultaneously an upper— it makes you alert like a clarion call — and an anxiolytic— calming, tranquilizing, two virtually weightless fingertips brushing your temples.

Think about the deep womb-like enveloping warmth of Opium at high volume (volume in this case meaning simply amount). E03’s aesthetic is the direct opposite. This scent’s surface has the odd minimalist plush of very shallow satin and the unforgiving touch of glass— a combination of soft and, not *hard, exactly, more crisp. E03’s artists— they are two— are among the most talented and least timid I know. Their patron awarded them this commission, and with it they’ve created a scent that transfigures like Tavener’s canticle: limpid, subtle beauty, a still, small voice, a work that is not to be shared in order to arouse or impress but rather to align, to bring you and the person you share it with into a single shared vibration, like the mesmerizing pure tone of a steel tuning fork.
    I'm pretty psyched about this one. I think the theme of the exercise is gradually shifting back to where he wants it - a discussion of the art aspects. He's given us a lot of red meat here. I think it will be far more interesting to see if his tuning fork analogy rings true, than to figure out what the heck this is.

Default Re: Chandler Burr Untitled S01E03

I ordered this morning so I will be back once my bottle has arrived.

I do have a strong idea what this might be based on Chandler's verbal packaging.

There is one fragrance I own which I would describe as a tuning fork and most of Chandler's description fits. I've always felt it was like wearing the clink of fine crystal so tuning fork works as well.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I ordered this morning so I will be back once my bottle has arrived.

I do have a strong idea what this might be based on Chandler's verbal packaging.

There is one fragrance I own which I would describe as a tuning fork and most of Chandler's description fits. I've always felt it was like wearing the clink of fine crystal so tuning fork works as well.
    Very cool! I have a couple of fragrances which induce this feeling in me, but they are probably not the one in question, since they are "nominally" attributed to a single nose.

I'm seriously disadvantaged on this one, as far as identification goes, being bit of a mainstream maniac. But I think it's probably time for me to give the guessing game a rest and concentrate on the art.

YEAH, RIGHT. We'll see how long that lasts!

Christy did a lot of Calvin Klein ads. Just saying.
    DONNA

Is anyone from EU interested in sampling this one?

- - - Updated - - -

I have an idea too of what it may be
    Customized consultancy on olfactory branding, design & research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irina View Post
    Is anyone from EU interested in sampling this one?

- - - Updated - - -

I have an idea too of what it may be
    SSSSSSHHHHHHH!

Hopefully my bottle will actually ship soon so I can take part this round.

Should I read Burr's description? Im inclined to skip all descriptions and discussions until Ive had it for about 1 week.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Christy did a lot of Calvin Klein ads. Just saying.
    I think the Christy Turlington thing was a badly executed part of the description of 03, because you kind of have to read it a couple of times to realize he's trying to set a scene; he's not actually saying she was in the ads for 03. A few people on various boards have made this mistake.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post

Should I read Burr's description? Im inclined to skip all descriptions and discussions until Ive had it for about 1 week.
    It's an interesting and worthwhile possibility. Why don't you try it? I think 1 week is about right. You'll still have 2-3 weeks after that to use full information, but perhaps that one week, free of any preconceptions, will give you some added insight.

I don't think you'll miss anything by waiting a week to read everybody's comments. Go for it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I think the Christy Turlington thing was a badly executed part of the description of 03, because you kind of have to read it a couple of times to realize he's trying to set a scene; he's not actually saying she was in the ads for 03. A few people on various boards have made this mistake.
    I was kind of glad I didn't have any idea who she was.

Me too But I know myself too well to call myself on bs I just can't stay away from you guys for that long LOL
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

I also have an issue with pre-listening to Burr's description, if indeed he is hoping for our unaffected reactions. But as with any mystery, it's awfully difficult to turn one's face away from the clues.

I guess one thing we should consider is that although he pointedly keeps the name of the fume hidden, and that on the surface of things, that would seem to be the hook, the mystery of what it is is not supposed to be the main point of the exercise.

Having said that, this is the most expensive stuff per ml so far.

So within this exercise we continue to be confronted by an attendant mystery and it's clues, whether we, or Chandler, likes that aspect or not.
    Last edited by Birdboy48; 3rd August 2012 at 06:13 PM.

Blog Entries

Someone said on the last thread that Chandler needs a good editor. Wow - this write-up is pretty awful. That continuing heroin metaphor that just sort of morphs for a second into a penetration reference? That whole third paragraph is a mess. I know he's writing this for modern art patrons, not us, but this is the kind of buzzword-laden faux-shocking gibberish ("ubiquitous Freudian transference"??) that I used to try to pass off as deep thinking in my college literature classes...

And you know it's just going to be some lavender scent or something.

Oh, and if you read this, Mr. Burr, I'm not trying to be an awful troll. I'm actually quite nice in real life and a fan of your reviews, and I'm enjoying what you're doing here, so please keep it up!
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    the kind of buzzword-laden faux-shocking gibberish ("ubiquitous Freudian transference"??)
    LOL Funny that you mentioned that, I was wondering the same
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Not sure I'll participate this go round, but I am glad--overwrought heroin addiction metaphor aside--to see that Burr is keeping his description much more abstract with this one.

I immediately recognized S01E02 as Mugler Cologne, even though it isn't a scent I own and have only sniffed a couple times. His description helped to confirm my guess.

I suspect this will not be the case here.

Heperd, this <<Should I read Burr's description? Im inclined to skip all descriptions and discussions until Ive had it for about 1 week.>> is actually a very interesting approach; I hadn't thought of it simply because I don't think Open Sky and I could conduct the Untitled Series without supplying a description to each Untitled on Open Sky's website. But holding off for a week on reading my descriptions while you experience the works without any outside inputs would (perhaps I shouldn't admit this) probably be my own approach as well.
    best,
    Chandler

Blog Entries

And you know it's just going to be some lavender scent or something.
    Now THAT'S harsh!

Oh, and if you read this, Mr. Burr, I'm not trying to be an awful troll. I'm actually quite nice in real life and a fan of your reviews, and I'm enjoying what you're doing here, so please keep it up!
    Al, I don't think you could troll if they gave you an instruction manual!

Hey - I'm just glad to see that I'm not the only person in the room who discovered a kinder, gentler, and more artistic form of substance abuse!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumePorMoi View Post
    Not sure I'll participate this go round, but I am glad--overwrought heroin addiction metaphor aside--to see that Burr is keeping his description much more abstract with this one.

I immediately recognized S01E02 as Mugler Cologne, even though it isn't a scent I own and have only sniffed a couple times. His description helped to confirm my guess.

I suspect this will not be the case here.
    Yes - I was really glad to see that this one is clearly out of the field of well-known scents - and Chandler isn't dropping any big identity hints, either.

Not commercial? That sounds like it's even beyond niche. Very cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chandlerburr View Post
    Heperd, this <<Should I read Burr's description? Im inclined to skip all descriptions and discussions until Ive had it for about 1 week.>> is actually a very interesting approach; I hadn't thought of it simply because I don't think Open Sky and I could conduct the Untitled Series without supplying a description to each Untitled on Open Sky's website. But holding off for a week on reading my descriptions while you experience the works without any outside inputs would (perhaps I shouldn't admit this) probably be my own approach as well.
    best,
    Chandler
    Thanks for dropping in, Chandler!

You know, even if you supplied the description as a spoiler link, I have a feeling that most of us would click it before dropping our $25-$60 (or more?) on an unknown bottle. I'll bet that only the most diehard players could resist clicking before the first sniff!
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 4th August 2012 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    You know, even if you supplied the description as a spoiler link, I have a feeling that most of us would click it before dropping our $25-$60 (or more?) on an unknown bottle. I'll bet that only the most diehard players could resist clicking before the first sniff!
    What's the saying? In for a penny, in for a pound? If I could play (and it still looks like we ferners can't) I'd be very inclined to go Heperd's way and not read anything at all, especially now that I've watched the last two rounds from afar and seen the speculation based on Chandler's descriptions. My own thought was that he gave us way too much information about E02; if I'm truly doing this "untitled" and coming to it empty, then I don't want to read "green scent."

These things may seem obvious, but what's very striking to me is the effect that prior perfume knowledge has on the way a person approaches this project. I'm still quite a beginner, so "green" is something I'd like to be able to figure out on my own. That probably sounds silly to the advanced perfumista, but it would be an accomplishment for some of us.

Blog Entries

What's the saying? In for a penny, in for a pound? If I could play (and it still looks like we ferners can't) I'd be very inclined to go Heperd's way and not read anything at all, especially now that I've watched the last two rounds from afar and seen the speculation based on Chandler's descriptions. My own thought was that he gave us way too much information about E02; if I'm truly doing this "untitled" and coming to it empty, then I don't want to read "green scent."

These things may seem obvious, but what's very striking to me is the effect that prior perfume knowledge has on the way a person approaches this project. I'm still quite a beginner, so "green" is something I'd like to be able to figure out on my own. That probably sounds silly to the advanced perfumista, but it would be an accomplishment for some of us.
    In for a penny, in for a pound?
    TOTALLY!

I could probably go either way. On this last scent, I didn't even really notice the green streak when I first smelled it, despite reading the description. It was the soapy musks - so reminiscent of Voyage d'Hermès - that stood out. Whether I came to looking for the green stuff earlier or later, I would have probably come to the same conclusion - namely, "Huh? Green?"

Actually, what you're saying doesn't sound silly. Olfactory focus, like visual focus, takes a certain amount of training and/or experience. Even then, it's work. Discovering things on your own in olfaction really makes them stick hard - for better or worse. One of the ways that works well is to smell something, become able to recognize it in different places, and then read somebody else's very recognizable description of the feature. At that point it clicks - the "Aha! That's what they call it!" moment. I have to admit that I treasure those, so - yeah - I hear you.

I think the reason I'm so personally blasé about not reading anything beforehand is that I know I'm going to be probing the fragrance from every possible angle anyway, and the differences will (preferably) wash out and leave me at almost the same endpoint, after thousands of sniffs. I think it may come from my scientific background. I'm constantly willing to momentarily entertain possibilities - and then toss them on the junkpile (or retrieve them) as needed. I actually tend to find other people's observations very helpful, in that they move me through the process faster. To see the big picture, I would rather hear everybody, than hear only my own, limited viewpoint. And even that seemingly anti-Chandlerian statement is a great demonstration of what he's saying. Marketing, lone reviews, solitary opinions, and everything else, are NOT trying to advance you to the big picture. They are trying to tilt your perceptions in a desired direction - even when they try to be as "objective" as possible. We have to trust our own noses to tear ourselves away from these descriptions, and to begin believing that they are not the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

So is it desirable, then, to sniff with nobody's opinion but your own? In my opinion, yes and no. Yes, in that you need to learn to see with your own nose. No, in that you need to trust other people's noses, and preferably lots of noses, in this olfactory world where all humans are - in my opinion - legally blind.

It's good see Chandler Burr taking part at the discussion.

It's hard to get interersted in #3 when #1 & #2 were so mediocre. I don't think Chandker Burr has a clue to what a good perfume smells like.

He gives us alot of lofty verbage about the scent, but the scent itself isn't worth buying a bottle so far with #1 & #2. Maybe he'll improve his selections, but I doubt it.
    Last edited by thebeck; 5th August 2012 at 05:39 PM.

I glad someone alerted me to Mr. Burrs response other wise I wouldnt have seen it because of avoiding the discussion. So, apparently I came up with a great idea .

Have any of you actually received the bottle? Mine hasnt shipped yet?
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alvus View Post
    It's good see Chandler Burr taking part at the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    It's hard to get interersted in #3 when #1 & #2 were so mediocre. I don't think Chandker Burr has a clue to what a good perfume smells like.

He gives us alot of lofty verbage about the scent, but the scent itself isn't worth buying a bottle so far with #1 & #2. Maybe he'll improve his selections, but I doubt it.
    You never know when your bottle of stout, classic juice is going to show up. While Burr hit my wardrobe once, and my FBW list on the other, I'm staying in the game to score when Puredistance M shows up with some kind of "you would never guess" description. I don't want to be doing a "Doh!" on that one. But on the other hand, I gotta say, Chandler's taste and yours aren't even close to coincident. You may want to hold out for something that indicates just a hint of the richness you generally love.

I glad someone alerted me to Mr. Burrs response other wise I wouldnt have seen it because of avoiding the discussion. So, apparently I came up with a great idea .

Have any of you actually received the bottle? Mine hasnt shipped yet?
    He may have said it was a good idea, hep, but he's just tempting you back to his own label. Watch out!

Seriously, nothing on the bottle yet. Don't think mine has shipped, either.

Any news yet: did anyone actually smell this one yet?
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Blog Entries

Any news yet: did anyone actually smell this one yet?
    Mine is "in preparation to be shipped". It won't be long!

I'm curious what percentage of the buyers are waiting for some sorts of impressions to be posted, before making the purchase. There is no warning of "bottles remaining" yet, despite there only being 125 of them in total. I realize that this is, in some ways, a very serious blind buy, but I was still thinking that the 125 might have been hit already.

Have you lined up a sample?

Have you lined up a sample?
    Waiting for the lovely US-based BN-ers to get their bottles first
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Mine is in preparation also.....
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

I'm curious what percentage of the buyers are waiting for some sorts of impressions to be posted, before making the purchase.
    Sadly I am in this camp. As much as I want to blindly dive in, I just can't do it without some idea what the notes are. My personal tastes and those of my wife are too limited to drop $50+ on a bottle I can't trust when we both have lists of fragrances we know we want. I could honestly drop over $1000 on wishlist fragrances tomorrow and know 100% that we both want them in the house. Spending $50 on a random question is hard to do. Hell just tonight I sampled an Amouage that I simply detest (Gold Man). Paying actual money for an ounce of it would be more than I could bear.

I think this project is very interesting and really want to play along, but the price of admission is irksome and the sample size is a bit large. Throw in the fact that my tastes are very different than Chandler's, and the risk becomes unbearable.

I am very grateful to those who participate and post their experiences here. Hopefully one of you will relay enough of the notes or sensations for me to make a "judgment call" (either way) without exceeding the spirit of the project.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Guibo View Post
    Sadly I am in this camp. As much as I want to blindly dive in, I just can't do it without some idea what the notes are. My personal tastes and those of my wife are too limited to drop $50+ on a bottle I can't trust when we both have lists of fragrances we know we want. I could honestly drop over $1000 on wishlist fragrances tomorrow and know 100% that we both want them in the house. Spending $50 on a random question is hard to do. Hell just tonight I sampled an Amouage that I simply detest (Gold Man). Paying actual money for an ounce of it would be more than I could bear.

I think this project is very interesting and really want to play along, but the price of admission is irksome and the sample size is a bit large. Throw in the fact that my tastes are very different than Chandler's, and the risk becomes unbearable.

I am very grateful to those who participate and post their experiences here. Hopefully one of you will relay enough of the notes or sensations for me to make a "judgment call" (either way) without exceeding the spirit of the project.
    No need to apologize - I think that for most people, waiting is smart.

Tell you what - the initial impressions will be here by early next week. If it sounds good after a few of them are in, I'd say jump. But if you don't want to jump, just PM me and I can send you a sample. That way you can play along with people.

I agree - it's pretty steep for a blind buy. If my taste ran to more expensive fragrances, I'd be thinking twice about playing. However, I'm a bit of a sucker for fragrance art (despite my love of mainstream over niche), so I'd sooner spend cash for every bottle in this project than for a piece of normal visual art. Plus it's all going to a good cause - the MAD olfactory wing.

Glad we have another person interested in this!

Red you rock!

I will be watching this thread with interest. I agree that spending on this project is more interesting than visual art. I have been bombarded with visual art my whole life. I am very new to olfactory art. Olfactory art is getting my vote (and my money) because it is a new experience to me and I enjoy it tremendously.

For the last two years I have honestly been participating in this without knowing it. I would come across reviews and forum threads that interested me in a fragrance. I put those in a list and ordered samples every so often. Due to my ignorance of fragrance, I saw everything as "Unlabeled". Dior and Amouage and Armani and Frederic Malle meant nothing to me. I just looked for scents that I liked.

Now I am tainted with brands, and honestly niche vs mainstream opinions. My wife still operates blind though. I do research, acquire samples, arrange testing and wait for her verdict. I tell her what she was supposed to smell after she tells me what she smelled.

Last week, I gave her some hype about new samples coming in. Then at the end of a long work day, I sprayed Secretions Magnifique on her wrist. The look on her face was priceless. She did not have the horror so often described, but a confused look. She kept trying to understand the scent, to rectify her expectation of a "perfume" and the nightmare on her wrist, of course the two were not compatible. This went on for far too long before I finally told her what it was. Her reply? "Is that it? I was expecting far worse!" If I had said "This is SM", she would have still said "Is that it?" The difference would be that she never would have tried to see it as a perfume.

To my mind this describes why this project is valuable. I don't think I would pick CB to run it (I'm leaning toward Alfarom for the job), but I appreciate the way CB is passionate about his choices.

Due to my ignorance of fragrance, I saw everything as "Unlabeled". Dior and Amouage and Armani and Frederic Malle meant nothing to me.
    I think this is a very cogent observation. While it's fun to get a handle on the various lines, there was something to be said for the time when I was also ignorant of all the various trappings and lore that surrounds the fragrance experience.

Burr seems to be trying to get us back to that time in our past when all we had to hold onto was the smell of the fragrance itself.

Red you rock!

I will be watching this thread with interest. I agree that spending on this project is more interesting than visual art. I have been bombarded with visual art my whole life. I am very new to olfactory art. Olfactory art is getting my vote (and my money) because it is a new experience to me and I enjoy it tremendously.

For the last two years I have honestly been participating in this without knowing it. I would come across reviews and forum threads that interested me in a fragrance. I put those in a list and ordered samples every so often. Due to my ignorance of fragrance, I saw everything as "Unlabeled". Dior and Amouage and Armani and Frederic Malle meant nothing to me. I just looked for scents that I liked.

Now I am tainted with brands, and honestly niche vs mainstream opinions. My wife still operates blind though. I do research, acquire samples, arrange testing and wait for her verdict. I tell her what she was supposed to smell after she tells me what she smelled.

Last week, I gave her some hype about new samples coming in. Then at the end of a long work day, I sprayed Secretions Magnifique on her wrist. The look on her face was priceless. She did not have the horror so often described, but a confused look. She kept trying to understand the scent, to rectify her expectation of a "perfume" and the nightmare on her wrist, of course the two were not compatible. This went on for far too long before I finally told her what it was. Her reply? "Is that it? I was expecting far worse!" If I had said "This is SM", she would have still said "Is that it?" The difference would be that she never would have tried to see it as a perfume.

To my mind this describes why this project is valuable. I don't think I would pick CB to run it (I'm leaning toward Alfarom for the job), but I appreciate the way CB is passionate about his choices.
    Really well said there, Guibo. It's very dramatic what a little knowledge can do to what we think is a totally gut-reaction sensory experience.

I also envy your wife's experience with Secretions Magnifiques. I wish I'd had a chance to smell it blind, before I read all the hysterical hype about it. I don't think I would have liked it any more (it contains a few of my least favorite perfume notes anyway), but it would be great to know that my impression was purely a gut reaction.

And I can sympathize with the very valid points you made above. I was thrilled to see E02 come in at $25 and a smaller size, as that would make it more accessible. I struggle a bit with it; $50 is not a tiny amount for me.

I was thrilled to see E02 come in at $25 and a smaller size, as that would make it more accessible. I struggle a bit with it; $50 is not a tiny amount for me.
    Prosaic waiting-for-my-"in preparation"-shipment thoughts...

I hesitated this time around too, entirely due to price. My question on S01E03's page about whether price would continue to fluctuate went unanswered, except by someone else speculating that price indicates the relative value of the juice -- er, that seems not have been borne out by E01 and E02's pricing.

I only caved when OpenSky sent me enough credits to bring the price down, and I hustled for a few more (I think my E03 ended up at $36 including shipping -- not ideal, but since this is my last month with a firm shipping address for a bit, I justified it to myself).

What I learned:
    1. OpenSky sends random ("Thank You" "Spotlight") credits worth $8, $12, etc. off via email periodically.
    2. You can get $5 off any item just for sending a link to three Facebook friends' Walls (the links can be deleted from their Walls almost immediately -- I did this with sympathetic friends in the UK, and I don't think they even saw the links before I deleted them). You can't recommend a bunch of different items to rack up credits (I tried) -- the credit applies only to the recommended item, up to $5.
    3. If you have Facebook friends who are also on OpenSky, whenever they buy something you get a $5 credit (again, time limit of $48 hours). So theoretically if one had OpenSky addict friends (or other Untitled Series buyers), one could trade credits back and forth that way, too.
    4. If you recommend a friend signup for OpenSky, you get $15 when they make their first order. (seems like a great way to alienate friends to me, but your mileage may vary)

It's a little tricky to combine these, since almost all of them have time limits, but if you're looking to get into the Untitled Series and $50 is a bit too much but $25-35 is more palatable, a little careful timing can get you there. I should also note that credits often do NOT apply for under $40 purchases, and if you're only buying the Untitled Series, you will get hit with shipping.

My tiny professor-salary would love it if this "experience" had a lower bar to entry!
    Read something old and smelly? Come across an interesting historical reference to smell? Contact me!

Thanks, Friede. Good to know. I've found the OpenSky site a bit difficult to use as I'm not on Facebook (so for instance, I can't leave comments on the page). But I'll see what happens if they ever make the Untitled series available overseas!

I'm getting restless on this one. It's almost mid August and not even the US based fume heads got their bottles. If it were to travel from US to EU, it is not likely that a bottle would get here in time to play the game...
    A pity really.
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Blog Entries

I'm getting restless on this one. It's almost mid August and not even the US based fume heads got their bottles. If it were to travel from US to EU, it is not likely that a bottle would get here in time to play the game...
    A pity really.
    I'm getting restless, and I'm right here!

I got this message last Wednesday (the 8th):

We wanted to give you a friendly update on your purchase. Your "The Untitled Series: S01E03" order is being prepped at our warehouse right now, so expect your package within a week.
    Nothing after that. Still has not shipped as of this message, 5 days later. If they ship today, that statement could still be true, since I sometimes get deliveries here after 2 days.

We'll see......

Just got my tracking number from OpenSky. For those of you as anxious/anal-retentive/etc. as I am...

Last month:
    • 7/19 - ordered
    • no notice of "prepping"
    • 7/21 (Saturday) it "shipped"
    • 7/23 (Monday) it showed up on UPS tracking
    • 7/26 arrival

So, from order date to arrival: 8 days (5 business days), and 4 business days from shipment email.

This month:
    • 8/3 - ordered
    • 8/10 (Friday) - "prepping" email
    • 8/14 (Mon/Tues) - shipping email

So assuming the same shipping timetable, I expect (hope for?) my E03 Monday 7/20 -- roughly double the time of last month.

Considering this time around I ordered on the third day of availability, that's surprisingly little time before the Burr reveal, really. And from this thread and the lack of activity on the OpenSky thread, it seems like no one else is playing yet, either (demand dropped due to price, and orders are thin on the ground?).

I suspect "prepping" is the key to the delay here, which might say something about what's coming, though that's pure speculation (and the only sort of speculation available to me until E03 comes, sigh)
    Read something old and smelly? Come across an interesting historical reference to smell? Contact me!

i ordered mine on 8/1 and got the shipping email today- 2 weeks...... that's worse than fragrancenet.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

I'm not playing this time, but I am curious to hear impressions from all you folk who ordered. I'm still having fun mixing E02 with other scents. If a new fragrance was released every 3 months or so, it would be just about right for me. I'm a slow poke, but I like really wrapping my head around a scent and it takes awhile for me.
    The question that women casually shopping for perfume ask more than any other is this: "What scent drives men wild?" After years of intense research, we know the definitive answer. It is bacon. Now, on to the far more interesting subject of perfume.
    ― Tania Sanchez, Perfumes: The Guide

Blog Entries

i ordered mine on 8/1 and got the shipping email today- 2 weeks...... that's worse than fragrancenet.
    Yeah, I just got my notice this morning, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Windblownhair View Post
    I'm not playing this time, but I am curious to hear impressions from all you folk who ordered. I'm still having fun mixing E02 with other scents. If a new fragrance was released every 3 months or so, it would be just about right for me. I'm a slow poke, but I like really wrapping my head around a scent and it takes awhile for me.
    Just let me know if you want a sample. The more the merrier!

I figure that discussion will start up before this weekend, and between samples from the first wave of buys, and a second wave of buys based on the first reviews, there will be another wave of noses on this thing well before the reveal.

Glad they finally got these things shipped. Having only 7-10 days of discussion before the reveal would have messed with things severely, IMO. I figure that mid-month is really the drop-dead date for initial shipment, if you want to get a good discussion. And it's probably reasonable to not ship during the first week, either, in order to wring out all the "curiosity buys". Probably best to get all the people who prefer to buy without knowledge, and then get all the people who prefer to know what it smells like before dropping coin.

+1 person for two week shipping.

awful.

basically cutting my pre-reveal enjoyment in half. Bummer.

My assumption is that Chandler is not happy about the delay either, and will get on their case about it so that shipping happens quicker next time.

Unless there was some delay in Opensky getting the bottles from whatever company is putting them together, that is.

If anything, I suspect that may be where the real problem lies.

I received a shipment notice on Monday with a FedEx tracking number. Now it's Thursday and the tracking number still isn't active.

I hope I get this before Burr reveals what it is.

When I put my (allegedly FedEx) tracking number into Google (which is usually a good shortcut trick), Google identified it as a USPS tracking number... no tracking data there either, but a note that suggested it might be a delivery confirmation-style tracking. (my brain really needs to stop mulling over this, clearly!)

Checking OpenSky chatter to see if we're all in the same boat (looks like), I came across this response from C.Burr (not related the shipping woes, but interesting nonetheless):

I've always used the word commercial to mean widely available at a relatively standard price point, say from $40 to $80 for 100ml, and the word niche to mean available at only a few points of sale, to have little or no marketing, and to cost, in general, significantly more. E03 is a niche scent.
    That definition of "niche" is interesting, and might have something to do with why the cost to "entry" returned to the higher point this month, and if so would be sort of an irritating "first clue" for future reference. It potentially suggests that while name, nose, label, marketing, etc. are stripped, arguably the signifier of $$$ is still in play (though not at the level of say, walking in and comparing the sticker price of Amouage Gold and Anais Anais). That's almost as problematic for the purpose of the Series as the presence of CB's "ad copy" -- the "copy" you can ignore, but it's impossible to ignore the fluctuating price.

(of course, it could just be that the stats of the prior months meant that OpenSky believe that the bottles will still sell out at the original $50 price point -- if so, we'll see them continue to be $50 for the rest of the Series)

But if I'm right and negotiations with the "donating" houses/noses/companies are driving a shifting price point for the Series, I almost wish for a rolling three-month "subscription" or something of the like -- I'd shell out $60ish for 3 months even if I knew what I was getting was three wildly different items "worth" very different prices on the open market...

Im pretty much over this. I was excited 2 weeks ago. I will probably just smell it and say "yea, that smells ok" and move on to my other samples. Can Mr Burr please show up here and give us some idea of why this is taking so long. Seems like they didnt plan this whole thing very well.

I doubt that contacting Opensky will get much more than a generic "Sorry" type of response.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

I would happily pay a higher amount ($150 or 200) if they were enrolling people in a "subscription service" for this project, 5ml per month or however it would be arranged (this is a learning experience, the volume of juice doesn't need to be vast). The project's concept is brilliant but the logistics and hassle of how ordering, sizing, pricing is setup is fairly rudimentary. If I involve myself in this project I want to immerse myself in the learning experience and be along for the whole ride, not just join in here or there whenever I have the money to drop or whenever it's not sold out. I don't fault CB for the logistics issues but I feel like such a brilliant project is being lost on many of us who view it as almost more of a hassle than it's worth.

And charging more for niche automatically puts that thought into the participant's head too. If a perfume-of-the-month subscription type system was setup then you could pay the full amount at the start and the price of individual fragrances wouldn't become an issue to paint your imagination with the idea of designer vs niche. And that way you could also forget about trying to stay on top of the ball with the schedule and potential sold out issues. Just my 2c.

Blog Entries

OMG - They're UPS numbers! Not USPS. As soon as I dropped the number into UPS, I got the full history and location. It's almost here! Should be arriving very soon.

Truly, a comedy of errors. And by the time I get my samples out to people, they are going to be sniffing them at the absolute last minute.

UGH. But at least I'll have 10 days minimum of sniff time before the reveal.

OMG - They're UPS numbers! Not USPS. As soon as I dropped the number into UPS, I got the full history and location. It's almost here! Should be arriving very soon.
    Brilliant, RP -- it worked! I'm sorry that I was right in my original estimate (mine is still not due for delivery til Monday, sigh), but it's nice to know where it is... But still, I see your "UGH" and raise you a "yeesh!" to this month's farce!

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    I would happily pay a higher amount ($150 or 200) if they were enrolling people in a "subscription service" for this project, 5ml per month or however it would be arranged (this is a learning experience, the volume of juice doesn't need to be vast). The project's concept is brilliant but the logistics and hassle of how ordering, sizing, pricing is setup is fairly rudimentary. If I involve myself in this project I want to immerse myself in the learning experience and be along for the whole ride, not just join in here or there whenever I have the money to drop or whenever it's not sold out. I don't fault CB for the logistics issues but I feel like such a brilliant project is being lost on many of us who view it as almost more of a hassle than it's worth.

And charging more for niche automatically puts that thought into the participant's head too. If a perfume-of-the-month subscription type system was setup then you could pay the full amount at the start and the price of individual fragrances wouldn't become an issue to paint your imagination with the idea of designer vs niche. And that way you could also forget about trying to stay on top of the ball with the schedule and potential sold out issues. Just my 2c.
    That sounds like a really good idea. I would totally do that. And I agree that the bottle size could be a lot smaller, even 10 or 20 ml.

I also like Chandler's definition of niche, and have never really agreed with the "designer" v. "niche" categorization. For me, the opposite of niche is "mainstream," but "commercial" works too. Because I think you can have designer niche, e.g., Knize Ten or Chanel Coromandel.

Blog Entries

That sounds like a really good idea. I would totally do that. And I agree that the bottle size could be a lot smaller, even 10 or 20 ml.

I also like Chandler's definition of niche, and have never really agreed with the "designer" v. "niche" categorization. For me, the opposite of niche is "mainstream," but "commercial" works too. Because I think you can have designer niche, e.g., Knize Ten or Chanel Coromandel.
    Me, too - I think a paid subscription to a whole series might be nice, and especially if you had a halfway decent set of matching bottles at the end. I have a set of art scents - each about 10 mL - that look rather beautiful in their squarish minis, and I think people would treasure owning the series.

Also like the idea that you can have "niche" from a designer - it shows how fuzzy the accepted classifications really are.

Heard that bottles are beginning to arrive today....but heard from one recipient that they may be quite a bit smaller than advertized.

Hoping to hope that this is not true. I like this project, and would hate to see it's credibility harmed by a screw up of that sort.
    Last edited by Birdboy48; 17th August 2012 at 07:33 PM.

Ok I can confirm I received my bottle of S01E03 and it is half the size of the bottles of E01 and E02 as you can see in the picture below.

Once again I am at a loss to match the fragrance in the bottle to Chandler's verbal packaging although this time it is probably more a matter of adjectives than reality.
    There is definitely a clarity and delineation to this and it is also a choice this is great for these mid-August days. I'll chime in after others have had their chance at a first impression.

This post is mainly to let people know it is on its way and the bottle is smaller.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

This post is mainly to let people know it is on its way and the bottle is smaller.
    That's at once reassuring, and totally bizarre -- is it even possible that E03 is also 30ml like E02? It's not like E02's bottle had a lot of room at the top...

I'd be really interested to know how distribution works with the Series -- who provides the bottles? What caused the delay compared to prior months? Are we dealing with choices or screw-ups?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

If those larger bottles are 30ml, then to my eye the smaller bottles look like 15ml.

The person I spoke with said in no uncertain terms that her bottle was 15ml, and not the 30 ml the OpenSky site claims.

I can't imagine there would be a screw up like this, given that this one was already quite a bit more expensive per ml than the last one. And now it turns out to be only half the juice that was advertized ?

Waiting to hear what Chandler has to say about this, if indeed it turns out to be true.
    Last edited by Birdboy48; 17th August 2012 at 09:55 PM.

It is for sure a 15ml bottle. They are probably having to buy the bottles retail and could not afford to send 30ml of this one to everyone.
    Ive already figured out what it is so i guess i'll go back and read all of the descriptions and see if they make any sense to me.
    Doubt that i will be playing again. This one was very anti climactic.

Europeans feel free to PM or email me heperd@gmail.com.

- - - Updated - - -

Did the original advert say that they were 30ml bottles? I cant find it.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

It is for sure a 15ml bottle....Did the original advert say that they were 30ml bottles?
    See for yourself :

Last edited by Birdboy48; 17th August 2012 at 10:10 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Did the original advert say that they were 30ml bottles? I cant find it.

Limited Edition of 125 bottles (30ml/1oz)

Introducing a revolutionary new fragrance series curated exclusively for the OpenSky.com shoppers by renowned scent critic Chandler Burr.
    Each month, on the first of the month, Burr will select a fragrance to share with shoppers. He’ll choose works currently on the market, in all styles, from the late 19th century to today that have been created by the greatest scent artists in the world. He’ll present them to shoppers in unmarked 30ml lab bottles, stripped of all packaging, marketing, labels and faces, including the brand and the name. Without identifying the scents in any way, Burr will write a critical assessment of each including the brilliance of their structures, the quality of their materials, and their singular beauty, all characteristics he feels are essential to consider when selecting a scent.
    For the first time, experience perfumes in a way that will allow — in fact encourage — you to rethink each scent by freeing you from all visual cues and marketing techniques. The Untitled Series is a way of seeing these works with fresh eyes.

Experience the third fragrance called S01E03 (Season One Episode One) and the identity of the scent as well as more about the artist who created it will be revealed to shoppers on the last day of August. The series will continue with a new launch on the first of every month and a subsequent reveal on the last day of each month. There will be only 125 bottles available in the Series this month and once they are sold, they’re gone, and will not be produced again.)

Last edited by 30 Roses; 17th August 2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: fixed the link

They got some splaining to do.....

Here is the bottle next to a 35ml bottle.

- - - Updated - - -

Where is the discussion other than here? On the opensky no one except me has commented since August 2nd.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Chandler Burr: If you read this, please consider a uniform, scheduled subscription service that people can sign up for to participate. I'd love to involve myself in this project but the hiccups have dissuaded me for the time being. Granted, they're not the biggest hiccups in the world and people are still receiving their juice (well, at least half of it), but it's enough to make me sit back. Also, 30ml (even 15ml) seems like an excessive amount of juice given the premise of this project. Please consider a 5ml subscription service, the involvement would skyrocket and the effectiveness of your (admittedly very intriguing, informative and beneficial) project would have such a greater impact.

Heperd: Wow, you already guessed it? Job well done I guess I should've assumed this project might not be able to stump the Jedi level niche heads of basenotes lol

-------------------
    Last edited by heperd; 9th September 2012 at 09:15 AM.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*