Code of Conduct
    Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cuir de Lancome - loose cap fix

While reading the current Amazon/Cuir thread, I realized that everyone seemed to have the same problem with their re-release Cuir bottles - the caps don't fit tightly and rattle around. It always bothered me, but I just assumed I got unlucky and got a defective cap/bottle.

Realizing that everyone seemed to have the same problem, I took a closer look and fixed mine pretty easily. It's not an earth-shattering discovery, but since so many people had the same problem, I figured it was worth posting.

Here's what my bottle looked like:

and the cap:

I jammed my pinky into the cap and popped out the brass-colored tubey part ...

And realized that it looked like it belonged on the sprayer. So I put it on:

Note that the ridge on the tube should go on first. Then I jammed it down until it was touching the glass top of the bottle. I used my thumbs, but it took a bit of force. It should look like this:

That looks more like it should, right? Now the cap clicks on nicely and isn't loose anymore!

Voila!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cuir de Lancome - loose cap fix

Just tried and, voila, cap doesn't rattle anymore. It does take some force to push the ring in, but slowly it goes down. Rubegon, thank-you so much for the suggestion!

In celebration, I just had to spritz my arm. Gasoline leathery blast (a la Knize Ten) but now lightening up, almost an acidic freshness.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, the same thing happened with my bottle. I find that I have to just press that brass-colored tube part down every so often so that it doesn't stick to the cap again. Odd bottle design, I guess.

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome cacio! I'm glad to see it worked for you too. The satisfaction I got out of having that cap not rattle was probably way higher than it should have been.

Kagey - I think so too. The brass tube must be a bit looser that it needed to be, and slips off with the cap. I thought it was part of the cap when I got mine because it was already jammed in there. It seemed strange that the sprayer crimp was exposed - looked cheap considering the nice box.

- - - Updated - - -

You're welcome cacio! I'm glad to see it worked for you too. The satisfaction I got out of having that cap not rattle was probably way higher than it should have been.

Kagey - I think so too. The brass tube must be a bit looser that it needed to be, and slips off with the cap. I thought it was part of the cap when I got mine because it was already jammed in there. It seemed strange that the sprayer crimp was exposed - looked cheap considering the nice box.

Thank you! This has irritated me quite a bit, but problem seems to be solved - as soon as I can get my husband to use some force
    Visit my Norwegian blog
    http://www.hagenpahytta.net
    Gardening, nature, food, perfume, life.

"Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors"
    Mary Cantwell

Post Thanks / Like

I fixed mine when I bought over three years ago. Of course using your method. At first I was worried about breaking the cap or something as it does take, shall we say some brute force.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Just done the fix now with my bottle, and yes, the sprayer now looks like it should and the cap fits properly. Thanks rubegon!

rubegon, thank you for the fix suggestion! I had two bottles suffering the wobbly cap syndrome - Cuir and Mille et Une Roses.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that supports Foustie's theory that the whole 2007 released collection suffered this problem hence it went onto discount so quickly. I bought the Magie and Sikkim and both had the same problem.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind doing some DIY on the bottle if it means I can pick up these gems for such a great price! The Cuir cost me around £20 I think.

Blue_eyez - the idea of 'wobbly cap syndrome' made me laugh.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Sir!
    A very useful advice since I got the same issue with my Sagamore flacon.

Rubegon, excellent sir! Now, if only I could retrieve my cap that I tossed in the garbage 2 years ago....
    I have two bottles stored away though, so I'll fix them when I open them.

Post Thanks / Like

Yay! Mine worked too...Thank you so much rubegon for sharing. Now it doesn't look like cheap homemade craft project (which at was, for all of us). I am definitely keeping it now!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you lot lit a fire under me to try this Cuir decant I have here from darling Foustie. You folks who've been raving about Cuir are right and I ordered one myself. Was love at first sniff and looks like stock may be starting to run low; had to snatch it up! I'll have some work to do when it arrives but that bottle looks beautiful once fixed. Thank you rubegon!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you rubegon! I will definitely give this method a try to correct my CdL's "wobbly cap syndrome."
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool - I'm happy it was helpful.

Yes, I think Faustie got it right. I guess a packaging engineer didn't do enough testing and the whole reissue series basically went to liquidation. I bet some poor bastard got fired over it. It's a shame - so few houses put the care and effort into bringing back their classics. Lancôme goes out on a limb to do it, and a silly mistake like this relegates them to the bargain bin.

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect that the series was discontinued because it wasn't selling well compared to their inferior best sellers...

cacio

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

Was it ever available at Lancôme counters? I was looking for it for a while last year. I must have asked at a dozen Lancôme counters in the US and Paris, and none had any of the reissues. Maybe they had stopped carrying them already by then.

Post Thanks / Like

No not widely available in the UK at all. I think Selfridges had them as an exclusive? Even then I think it was the set of minis, the range was just called La Collection. I know if you ask a Lancome sa in the UK they would know nothing about them. Rumours of them started about 4 years ago, being seen on discontinue sites etc. I was shocked to find my Cuir in TKMaxx must be three years ago. Then searched for the others and found Sikkim and Magie on directcosmetics in the UK. Ebay very cheap as well, but I think the prices have gone up a lot, now see them for over £30 mine was just £20.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by devilcat View Post

Blue_eyez - the idea of 'wobbly cap syndrome' made me laugh.
    Enjoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rubegon. Thank You so much for pointing this out. I have just done mine too, and this smells so damned good I have just doused myself in it!

Rubegon, thank you for the post.

I did the same thing with my bottle in pulling the cap out and replacing it firmly over the piston and fitting. I did not know this was a "phenomenon."
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    ... but I think the prices have gone up a lot, now see them for over £30 mine was just £20.
    Yes, can confirm that. Just paid $39 USD and some change for mine. Still a bargain, though!

Wow, thanks, Rubegon!! My cap has had this problem since I got it... for a ridiculously low price of $5 on Amazon a few years back! It never leaked, though. It's so weird that everyone had the same problem... and with a very easy fix!
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Post Thanks / Like

Just had to dig this up and say thank you once more, rubegon! My bottle arrived today with, sure enough, the collar stuck inside the cap. Even my child-sized hands were able to accomplish this repair job! Really lovely bottle and packaging once assembled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you seen Lila's article on the news page about reissue of "La Collection"? Told ya......

Post Thanks / Like

So a man with a pair of pliers has sorted the problem out then for the new re-re-release. LOL
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rubegon - I just received my bottle today, and thought what a weird cap. I did a google search for this issue and found your thread. Your solution works perfectly. Great work.

Thanks again.

PS : wonderful perfume too.

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome! I hadn't thought about this thread in a while. It's nice to know that it was helpful.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine was exactly the same!