Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Six Degrees of Thallium - and discount store rage...

I live I the Midwest US, and we have 10 malls within 20 square miles of one another. That being said, there are a million places to buy fragrance. Unfortunately, almost all of them (aside from NM,Macy's, Nordstrom and Dillard's) have these strange bottles (and I mean odd looking) of supposed French designer fragrances.

Normally, my eyes are focused on my 'list' stuff..and when I am asked for help, I politely decline until I am ready to check out. Lately though, the collection of odd looking (and generically named) 'French designer' frags has grown in all of these shops...and the sales people have been pushing them to a level that has made me suspect that the stuff is their only priority.

I am in sales, and I understand profit margin and buying cheap/ marketing and selling for what the consumer will pay...but this recent trend is beyond ridiculous. They seem to have a decent amount of good and brand name juice, but Thallium (and it's six varieties: Black,Sport, Fresh Sport, Blue, etc.) are always pushed into my nose.

What's worse is that when I show the slightest interest in sniffing something behind the counter...most of the clerks do not hesitate to carefully open the cellophane and give me a test. Cool for me, but not cool for the fella paying full price for a used product.

I was in Orlando this past week, and thier giant Perfumeland had a ton of great stuff that is not readily available in my part of the country...but when I asked if they carried Chopard's Noble Vetiver...the sales associate pulled several strange looking bottles from the counter - all with names like 'Grey Forest' or 'Blue Flight' which smelled nothing like NV.

Oh yes, she also had a bottle of Thallium.

Just a vent.

Default Re: The Six Degrees of Thallium - and discount store rage...

I've also been to Perfumeland in Orlando and IMO they have a nice cross selection of both designer scents and mass-market French
    scents.

Post Thanks / Like

They did have a ton of stuff - but they were clearly pushing the knock off type frags as a front line product...

going into department stores, Sephoras, discount fragrance shops, mall kiosks & flea markets is indeed an adventure in itself having to deal with the sales people. They push all sorts of off-brand crap at you. They'll be deceitful or lie if that's what it takes. I've even had them spray me with cheap generic colognes without my permission. That being said, sometimes we have to go thru these trials in order to expand our scent library and/or get the best deals.

Post Thanks / Like

No matter what you ask for they will try to make you smell one of those terrible made up fragrances that "Smells just like that one!" you asked for.

- - - Updated - - -

I told this one d-bag at a kiosk that Envy was going for $200 on ebay so he showed me some bottle that comes in a fake LV patterned small suitcase that had a price tag for $179 on it. i guess he figured that he had caught a big spender. Of course he said it smelled just like Envy, it didnt, it was a Dior Homme knockoff. He was going to give me a deal on it- $100 plus throw in some other garbage called Axis that had some little black beads in the bottle that he said was real caviar.
    Some dumb kids walked up asking for something called Unbelievable and i was able to escape. As i was was walking off he kept going down on the price, 100, 79, 60....
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

The campaign starts today. The 2013 Basenotes Male Fragrance of the year... Thallium.
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Isn't it a little ironic that real Thallium is toxic?

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Isn't it a little ironic that real Thallium is toxic?
    Yeah I never could understand why they picked that name???

Post Thanks / Like

Makes your hair fall out too.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    The campaign starts today. The 2013 Basenotes Male Fragrance of the year... Thallium.
    Indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Before I really got into fragrances I had a SA convince me to buy Thallium because according to her it was the latest and greatest scent on the market and to sweeten the deal she sold it to me for 50$ instead of the listed 60$. After wearing this fragrance for a couple of days I started to wonder if it was really all that so I went on-line and did some research. Much to my shock it did not have very good reviews and most places were selling it for around 25$.

They also did this to me with a bottle of something called P.U.R.E Million and something called ICE. These 3 purchases forever changed the way I shop for fragrances now (I no longer trust SA's or the first 30 seconds of a fragrances scent).
    Living each day one spray at a time

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    other garbage called Axis that had some little black beads in the bottle that he said was real caviar.
    Some dumb kids walked up asking for something called Unbelievable and i was able to escape. As i was was walking off he kept going down on the price, 100, 79, 60....
    Caviar?!! Can you imagine spraying eau de caviar? Holy shit.

Post Thanks / Like

Thallium/Valium is the ultimate lowest common denominator fragrance available in your flea market/bingo strip plaza/dead mall fragrance retailer. The commission on this is just breathtaking, which is why they will push it in your face. Starts at $40 but will ultimately sell for $7. It is still too much.

"...but it is French so it must be good!"

Le Car was French, too.

- - - Updated - - -

They also did this to me with a bottle of something called P.U.R.E Million and something called ICE. These 3 purchases forever changed the way I shop for fragrances now (I no longer trust SA's or the first 30 seconds of a fragrances scent).
    Usually it is "2 Billion" for sale. Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Billion-Toilette-Perfume-Impression-Rabanne/dp/B004YXEUMS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    Imagine an SA thinking that you are so dumb that you believe it when he tells you that there are real fish eggs in a bottle of perfume??
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    No matter what you ask for they will try to make you smell one of those terrible made up fragrances that "Smells just like that one!" you asked for.

- - - Updated - - -

I told this one d-bag at a kiosk that Envy was going for $200 on ebay so he showed me some bottle that comes in a fake LV patterned small suitcase that had a price tag for $179 on it. i guess he figured that he had caught a big spender. Of course he said it smelled just like Envy, it didnt, it was a Dior Homme knockoff. He was going to give me a deal on it- $100 plus throw in some other garbage called Axis that had some little black beads in the bottle that he said was real caviar.
    LOL!

Several of these guys got booted from the malls around me - perhaps they flew south. They were real operators - glad they're gone.

My latest kiosk discovery is fairly honest - they only have a couple of bottles of Thallium, which I presume they save for the real knuckleheads. Some of their vintage is overpriced, but the stuff looks real. Basically a concentration of Marshall's better stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I walked by a kiosk at the Galleria here in H-town the other day it the guy had some pretty good stuff. I saw a vintage M7 gift set box sitting on the end of his tiny kiosk/cart. Though when I asked about it i found out that it was empty and was just to prop up his keyboard for his computer cash register. Bummer.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, yes, unknown-name fragrances... I have a few stories to share here.

I did visit a flea market here once, and there were a lot of cheap designer-impostor fragrances. IIRC, Thallium and its flankers were one of the options, along with scents like "Charnel No. 6" (smelled like Gold Dial soap) and "Essey Miyami Pour Homme" (an obvious Issey clone). There were also some actual designer fragrances (including a few Creeds) at a higher cost, but it was hard to tell if they were real or fake. I also went to a "liquidation sale" last year that seems to happen every other month at the War Memorial Coliseum. Alongside brands like "Sex In The City" and Thallium, there were impostors of Le Male Terrible (before the real thing became available in the US), Bvlgari Aqva, and numerous Calvin Klein scents. There were also used computers, cheap wallets, and no-name cell phones, but since this is a fragrance website first and foremost, I'll stay away from those.

With flea markets and liquidation sales out of the way, that means that aside from bargain-hunting at TJ Maxx/Marshalls (which there is no shortage of here), I do most of my fragrance shopping at malls. There are two major malls here in Fort Wayne, a city of about 260,000 (or 540K if you count surrounding areas), and they are Glenbrook Square (indoor on the north side) and Jefferson Pointe (outdoor on the southwest side).

There is one store at Glenbrook that carries harder-to-find and unusual-brand fragrances, but I have never given it a visit because I rarely trek to that end of the mall. When at Glenbrook, I always do my sniffing at Macy's, Sephora (inside JCP), or Perfumania; all reputable national retailers that sell well-known scents. The Macy's and Perfumania folks also know me by name, which is a plus.

Although I mainly go there for the lone IMAX theater in town, Jefferson Pointe has Von Maur and Ulta, and will have an Aveda corporate store soon. It also used to have a fragrance kiosk outside. True story: One lady from the Chanel counter at Von Maur that I know well bought a bottle of top-selling Coco Mademoiselle from the kiosk at a bargain price. Wondering if it was counterfeit, she sent it back to the Chanel plant in New Jersey for testing. Sure enough, it was fake, and I presume that Chanel USA notified the FWPD... the kiosk was quickly shut down. (Other dubious frags that this kiosk sold: "Bvlgari pour Femme Extreme" in a red box and 212 Men by Hugo Boss instead of Carolina Herrera.)
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Lol, before I was somewhat knowledgable with fragrances I was tricked into a knockoff bottle from Glenn Perri "Unpredictable" and paid $85 for it!!!! Come to find out you can buy it on amazon for $15!! Yea, that'll NEVER happen again.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Haha, A fragrance named Thallium??
    I've heard it all now!
    I would never spray that on my SKIN!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    You would be very popular with the neighborhood cats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Ah, yes, unknown-name fragrances... I have a few stories to share here.

I did visit a flea market here once, and there were a lot of cheap designer-impostor fragrances. IIRC, Thallium and its flankers were one of the options, along with scents like "Charnel No. 6" (smelled like Gold Dial soap) and "Essey Miyami Pour Homme" (an obvious Issey clone). There were also some actual designer fragrances (including a few Creeds) at a higher cost, but it was hard to tell if they were real or fake. I also went to a "liquidation sale" last year that seems to happen every other month at the War Memorial Coliseum. Alongside brands like "Sex In The City" and Thallium, there were impostors of Le Male Terrible (before the real thing became available in the US), Bvlgari Aqva, and numerous Calvin Klein scents. There were also used computers, cheap wallets, and no-name cell phones, but since this is a fragrance website first and foremost, I'll stay away from those.

With flea markets and liquidation sales out of the way, that means that aside from bargain-hunting at TJ Maxx/Marshalls (which there is no shortage of here), I do most of my fragrance shopping at malls. There are two major malls here in Fort Wayne, a city of about 260,000 (or 540K if you count surrounding areas), and they are Glenbrook Square (indoor on the north side) and Jefferson Pointe (outdoor on the southwest side).

There is one store at Glenbrook that carries harder-to-find and unusual-brand fragrances, but I have never given it a visit because I rarely trek to that end of the mall. When at Glenbrook, I always do my sniffing at Macy's, Sephora (inside JCP), or Perfumania; all reputable national retailers that sell well-known scents. The Macy's and Perfumania folks also know me by name, which is a plus.

Although I mainly go there for the lone IMAX theater in town, Jefferson Pointe has Von Maur and Ulta, and will have an Aveda corporate store soon. It also used to have a fragrance kiosk outside. True story: One lady from the Chanel counter at Von Maur that I know well bought a bottle of top-selling Coco Mademoiselle from the kiosk at a bargain price. Wondering if it was counterfeit, she sent it back to the Chanel plant in New Jersey for testing. Sure enough, it was fake, and I presume that Chanel USA notified the FWPD... the kiosk was quickly shut down. (Other dubious frags that this kiosk sold: "Bvlgari pour Femme Extreme" in a red box and 212 Men by Hugo Boss instead of Carolina Herrera.)
    Slightly off topic *sorry OP* but we have a Von Maur (brand new and fricking huge) about 2 blocks from where I work... is Von Maur a good place to shop for fragrances?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy01 View Post
    Slightly off topic *sorry OP* but we have a Von Maur (brand new and fricking huge) about 2 blocks from where I work... is Von Maur a good place to shop for fragrances?
    I'd be interested to know this too as we're also getting one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    I'd be interested to know this too as we're also getting one.

I stopped by Von Maur this evening and it is a really nice store. They have a pretty good sized fragrance center but about 3/4's of it is for the ladies. The ladies section has all the nice glass counter tops and walk behind counter tops, they also have a lot larger selection of fragrances (they had a huge selection of Thierry Mugler stuff). The mens section is located along the walls, not a bad selection and they have testers for everything as well. Their selection is pretty much what you can get from Macy's or Dillard's and prices seemed to be on par as well. The one thing that will probably keep me from shopping here is none of the fragrances have price tags so you need an SA to look up everything you might be interested in (unless of course money is no issue for you).