Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Terre d'hermes - reformulated?

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Just got 2012 batch and compared to my vintage. New reformulation is far weaker. Sillage is gone after 2~ hours but does stay close to skin until about 6 hours. Old one will easily project after 9~12 hours. Disappointing. Got my new one from Fragrancenet.
    Sorry to echo this question, but I have 2 bottles of Hermes I purchased this week off of eBay. I was careful to ask the sellers about when they purchased the frags, from where and how they were stored, etc. They seem fine, but for the purposes of intellectual curiosity, I wanted to know what the batch codes meant.

The 2 codes are: 2GAAN and 2CAAQ. These frags were introduced in 2003 and 2005 respectively, so presumably this means they are 2012 (and not 2002) batches? Would love some confirmation/insight

Thanks!

I keep retesting the parfum at nordstroms. It smells nothing like the bottle I had. I need to test the EDT to see if it has been jacked as well.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I have an edt and edp of this. Some days the performance is greay some days not so great which I attribute to nose fatigue and the fact that I smoke cigars regulary. However when im done with these im just gonna get Montale Red Vetyver and not worry about performance.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

This would be a fool proof way to earn some money - given there are vintage bottles easily attainable right now. Some eight years from now they will be insanely expensive.

For once reformulations news didn't cause me heartaches. I'm not Iso-E Super kind of guy: almost all basenotes favourites I don't care about have healthy dose of this molecule.

Looks like another one bites the dust...

My memories of it in 2006 were a very fruity grapefruit scent (not orange), with a superb mineral/flint note, then cedar and vetiver in the dry down. Now, I get more of an orange peel scent...

seriously, can i just add or layer iso E? would that improve the sillage and longevity?

I can believe it, as when I was looking for a "modern powerhouse" frag I heard nothing but great things about TdH, but when I tried a tester recently I thought there must be something wrong as it was so weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    As I've been saying, for the last couple of years or so, nothing is sacred anymore. Always try to acquire backups shortly after purchasing a fragrance you absolutely love. If the worst comes to the worst, you can offload them either on the sales broad or on ebay.
    Agreed.
    I adviced my couple and friends to back up this one before the disaster (EDT).
    Bad girls don't cry but get even.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    This would be a fool proof way to earn some money - given there are vintage bottles easily attainable right now. Some eight years from now they will be insanely expensive.

For once reformulations news didn't cause me heartaches. I'm not Iso-E Super kind of guy: almost all basenotes favourites I don't care about have healthy dose of this molecule.
    Where would one obtain vintage bottles from for I have only smelt the new version and love it.

This blows if the Parfum has been reformulated. I have about 5 sprays left of my Parfum, purchased in December of '09. Now I have to go test the bottle to replace the same goddamn fragrance? Shit.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLike View Post
    According to this article, Terre d'Hermes was originally 55% Iso E Super (compound, not total of the diluted fragrance):

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...ults-geza.html

According to this article, the current IFRA maximum allowed is 21.4%:

http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Iso-...etic-2837.html
    Thanks for the article Link, I hadn't read that before...
    It was interesting to read the relative concentration amounts of the fragrances discussed.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Thanks for the article Link, I hadn't read that before...
    It was interesting to read the relative concentration amounts of the fragrances discussed.
    I'm pretty sure the IFRA limit apples to 21.4% of total volume. An edt is only, what, ~10-15% fragrant material and 85-90% alcohol? Terre d'Hermes would have been far below the limit: 55% of 10 is 5.5% of total volume.

I distinctly remember the first time I tried TDH in 2006 and it was quite potent, very sharp , the orange and this rosy dirty woody note would just come at you, I suspect that was the Iso E super. The newer ones which I see on fragrance counters are sadly much weaker , the scent is similar, but it lacks projection and depth, its pretty a much skin scent now.

- - - Updated - - -

Just got 2012 batch and compared to my vintage. New reformulation is far weaker. Sillage is gone after 2~ hours but does stay close to skin until about 6 hours. Old one will easily project after 9~12 hours. Disappointing. Got my new one from Fragrancenet.
    100% agree I was quite shocked at how weak the new bottles are, at this rate they should just discontinue them honestly. The IFRA regulations have devastated so many fragrances now it is just appalling.

I found 3 tester bottles 200ml each, and the serials start with 9. Bought one and hopefully will go get another!

and yes I did notice a difference between old and new bottles... it's like the older batches have more "body" to them, they're less "linear" and have more notes.
    Last edited by hawk; 15th April 2013 at 04:26 AM.

Okay, so the consensus is, yes, reformulated? I was set to buy a bottle of this, a former standby of mine, but if longevity and sillage suffer in current editions, well, I'm out. Pull the trigger or no?

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Quote Originally Posted by TRBeck View Post
    Okay, so the consensus is, yes, reformulated? I was set to buy a bottle of this, a former standby of mine, but if longevity and sillage suffer in current editions, well, I'm out. Pull the trigger or no?
    Buy Montale Red Vetyver...its TdH on roids

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Interesting news. My bottle was purchased back in 2010. 12+ hours longevity.

Basenotes Member davidmichael42's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EDJA View Post
    Guys, hi!
    Sorry for another Terre thread, but i just have discovered the strange thing about Terre.
    Recenly i've bought on eBay 100 ml bottle of Hermes Terre (EDT) produced in 2007 (based on batch code on the bottom of the box) and realised the real difference between this botle and new one which i had (produced in 2011).
    The old one has monster sillage and longevity, i can still feel it after 16 hours on my skin, but the new one - significantly watered down and lost its strength after 4 hours.
    Does anybody else feel this difference? my suggestion is that they have changed the formula in EDT before introduction of PARFUM version.
    I got a sample of this with the others I ordered yesterday and its not that strong at all. after 16 hrs I could still smell nautical voyage when tere d'hermes was long gone.. wouldn't buy anything but a sample

I purchased a 1.7oz from Perfumania last year and I get 10+ hours and projection is great.

As soon as I walked in today a woman said "Wow Mr. Icy you smell good today".

I think this is one that is loved by older women, the 3 compliments I got from this were two from older women 40s-50s and a 11 year old boy told me I smelled good, like oranges. Lol

I recently bought a new bottle and decided to test it against my old 2007 bottle on two seperate pieces of toiletpaper.
    The new bottle started out with a fresh note that is missing from the old juice.
    It is possible that this note has gone from the old juice due to ageing.
    From there on they smell the same.
    I could detect the new juice for a longer amount of time on the piece of toiletpaper than the old one.
    So to my nose they didn't reformulate it.

Basenotes Junkie

Just gonna chip in with my unbiased opinion that no one cares about. I have a bottle of this juice from 2012 (2DCAN) and it typically lasts on me for waaaay too long. I am not sure if the projection on it could be classified as "monster", but it was noticed on 2 separate occasions after 8+ hours work days (in the car with open windows with plenty of traveling wind). I still consider that pretty respectable.

I never experienced the older juice so I cannot say whether there are any differences in scent itself, but in my experience its performance is more than adequate.

* bump *
    I recently got a bottle also .
    What is the way to identify them ?
    My bottles has REF 20873
    Made in Paris
    78% vol
    cheers

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Unfortunately all very sad news to me...
    I like TdH very much, it's easily in my top 5.
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    Unfortunately all very sad news to me..
    me too , i like it & all the TDH experts who know of the codes have left the house
    & i have a full bottle that is not as strong as i remember my company samples !

TDH was my all time favorite but after IFRA bull shit ...its remain nothing but a crap

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    Unfortunately all very sad news to me...
    I like TdH very much, it's easily in my top 5.
    Like I said earlier in November of last year, no performance issues for me with a 2012 bottle. Still a powerhouse, unless there were more recent changes, like 2013 onward.

In addition, there is also this point someone made earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the IFRA limit apples to 21.4% of total volume. An edt is only, what, ~10-15% fragrant material and 85-90% alcohol? Terre d'Hermes would have been far below the limit: 55% of 10 is 5.5% of total volume.

I got a great deal on what I believe are two vintage bottles of TDH EDT. One 30% full 3.4 OZ and one 90% full 3.4 OZ, both including shipping for $49.99 off an eBay seller who sells factory damaged bottles (one had a CHUNK of glass out of the bottom). I had to clean them both up a little, but they smell fine. Should be set on TDH for a few years.

Actually, to me everything was pretty obvious. If 2012 batches are bad, the ones from 2013 are tragically bad with longevity about 2-4 hours and bad sillage. I wanted to say:"Rest in peace, Terre d'Hermes". That was untill I smelled the juice from the 2014 bottles. I couldn't believe my nose, really! It had balls and lasted around 10 hours like good old Terre!
    Finally what I think is that Hermes might have "batches problem", just like Creed. Let's hope they keep stable the '14 batches production. Well, one could hope...

Today I stopped in a random gas station and when I went in to pay I spotted some fragrances behind the counter. One of them was a 100 ml Terre D'Hermes.

I asked how much, and the lady said $34.99. Naturally, I jumped on it. It's the real deal, and the kicker is, the code is 6B28 - February 2006!

Comparing with my 2010 bottle, I notice few differences on paper scent-wise. One thing that did jump out at me was the older sprayer pumping out MORE juice than the newer bottle per spray. Is this the source of possible reformulation talk?