Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Today I didn't buy - 2013

So, there is a thread every month, enabling the idea to purchase and urging show off their new acquisitions. I know for myself I need to slow down, maybe this could be a good place to list our "almost purchased but chose wisely to let it pass" moments (no matter how great of a deal it was.)

Maybe this can help out the idea that spacing out purchases can be a good thing.

Today I almost bought:

Vetiver Extraordinaire - Frederic Malle...on ebay
    Last edited by starshipvelcro; 15th January 2013 at 05:30 PM.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Today I didn't buy - 2012

Today I almost bought:

- Pomegranate Noir --family members do not like the scent at all and I do not like it that much.

- Tsar -- I really like it, but I have too many perfume already, I need to finished a couple of bottle before I buy more.

- New Haarem -- it is too sweet for hot weather here.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this idea !
    Well today I almost bought
    A la Nuit by Serge Lutens

Post Thanks / Like

Almost bought one of the UAE exclusive Guerlains. Just for the sake of owning it only.

Haven't we all done that at some point.

for swap/sale:

great idea. i desperately try to fight off temptation on a daily basis. yesterday i almost (literally by 2sec) bought a 200ml chanel eau de cologne on ebay (great price!). i decided against it because, well, even though i know it smells fantastic and have used several samples i still think i have a great deal of colognes some which i use rarely some which i haven't even broke the seal (looking at you hermes eau d'orange verte concentree), it just did not warrant the purchase of yet another cologne, however extraordinary. i was so happy when the bidding was finished that i did not press the button.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't buy a backup of Black Afgano from a BNer who listed it at a good price.

The other day I didn't buy Santal Majuscule.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh.....what a cathartic thread. An opportunity to make us all feel better to cite what we DIDN'T buy!

For some reason, this made me think of the line in the movie "Semi-Tough" about 35 years ago with Burt Reynolds and Kris Kristofferson. During a BS self-improvement training seminar, one lady uttered the infamous phrase to all the attendees...."I peed in my pants, and it felt good!" She then received a hearty round of applause from everyone in the room for this exclamation.

Don't know why I thought of that.

In any event, I didn't buy into a split of the now rare Creed Angelique Encens recently. And it felt good!

Actually, it didn't. It felt bad. Now I won't smell as good as I otherwise would have, and having the money in my pocket doesn't relieve the misery.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I almost pressed the enter tab on a bottle of Bois du Portugal, but swiftly came to my senses and closed the entire window. Close call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Now I changed from buying full bottles to decants and that save a lot of money.

I might buy the full bottle if I like that scent enough, but I found I have too many bottle already.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello my name is ThatMakesScents and I am an ADDICT. I binge and purge promising to never do it again. At the moment I have enough bottles for 2 + years of heavy daily use. I need to use them all up or at least the majority of them before I decide which *one to re- purchase.

I want to be a signature scent guy again

Post Thanks / Like

I lost it a little bit this month. I'm sorry, wallet.

yesterday I almost bid for a bottle of Louanges PG on Ebay - I managed to make sense of the fact I already have one and should perhaps wait til I've finished it!! Tho it took me all day and staying out - without my mobile - to resist! I have been going mad with perfume purchasing and although I can make it sound funny - those on this page know it can be a form of craziness.

Almost bought Bond's New York Oud the other day. Thankfully I passed on it, as I have way too many scents right now and want to get rid of several before even considering buying anything new. I haven't bought a bottle in over two months, and it feels great!

Post Thanks / Like

today i almost bought a vintage l' heure bleue
    i must trust to find another occasion some day

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, badly needed thread. I need discipline in the worst way. No close calls today, but I did take back a bottle to Marshall's. That felt good. My wife bought me a bottle at Sephora for my birthday next Thursday (don't know what).

I need to really cut back in a serious fashion. Maybe try to lay off until Christmas. I need a goal to cut this habit back. I get way too much pleasure from retail therapy, I nickle and dime myself to death. I took an honest look at my collection and I discovered that I have not kept one single bottle that I have bought from Ross, TJ Maxx and Marshall's. That should tell me something. I buy probably three bottles per month from those places and end up selling/swapping them. I have to be losing money on these and it must be adding up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I went to TJ Maxx, Macy's, Carson Pirie Scott, and I didn't buy anything. I was discouraged by a woman in black and wearing a big feather boa who was hanging around Lady Gaga's perfume.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Today I was trying to make a credit card just to buy perfume online, but I was realize that I have way too many perfume and I have not wear some of them frequently. The most important factor is I need to keep some money in my saving account --there is just around 1250 US Dallars left in my salary account.

Today I almost bought a rosebud bottle of Mitsouko. I really shouldn't have went looking! Still fighting with myself over this one!!!!
    Last edited by Berlynnvintage; 30th August 2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: things to add

Post Thanks / Like

Today's my Birthday, so I will get a bottle of something from my wife and sons tonight...I'm taking off tomorrow, I will have some extra cash, so I might buy something, but then again, I might not. It's nice to not really need anything. I'm really blessed.

Post Thanks / Like

Tuesday I did not buy:
    Caron Narcisse Noir Parfum
    Caron Nuit do Noel Parfum
    Fracas
    Ombre Rose Parfum

I had minor surgery that day and was on lortab. I went online and almost just started ordering everything.

I did order Versace Blond Parfum while "high".

Yesterday I did not buy Boucheron (1 oz bottle at TJ's for $19.99). I carried it around for awhile but put it back.

And I also did not buy Juicy Couture Juicy Couture. I live near the EA Warehouse outlet and they have the parfum for $50. Walk away just step away from the bottle.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Especially when it comes to perfumes ...

This week I didn't buy L'eau D'Issey Summer 2012. The original is still one of my favorites, even after all these years of sniffing, and my bottle is almost gone. I was sorely tempted to get that flanker but decided to wait until pay day, and by then it was sold out at fragrancenet. I'm glad it was gone, because I really didn't need it.

And with my streak intact it is now about 3 months since my last fragrance purchase!

Post Thanks / Like

Today I almost bought Ouarzazate by CdG. It's such an amazing fragrance. I almost even convinced myself I "need" it.

I'm glad I didn't buy it, as I own way too many bottles already and I'm trying to seriously, seriously cut down on the full bottle purchases.

Baby steps...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In Costco today, they had lots of EDT's 1.7 oz bottles, at 49.99 dollars. So today I almost bought:

Hypnotic Poison i have but a paltry few mls left in my bottle, and i need to replace it
    Fan Di Fendi been wanting it for a while
    Juicy Couture, Viva La Juicy just because they were cheap.
    I wasn't familiar with any of the others enough to blind buy.

I'm glad i didn't splurge now,

I crossed off a few from my want list after some reevaluation.

Versace Pour Homme - I have enough sporty citrus scents, and this doesn't last, so forget it

Some others as well, I guess they couldn't have been that important if I don't remember then.

I have a few more to get, and I am going to back off almost completely from purchasing.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

today i almost bought bois d'orage
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Post Thanks / Like

Stopped myself from buying a backup bottle of Pure Malt and a vintage M7 from eBay.

I almost bought L'Occitane Eau des Baux but I really don't have the extra $$$ to splurge at the moment. Fragrances are consuming my mind!!
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Post Thanks / Like

Great work guys and gals! Way to resist temptation! I abstained this weekend as well. Felt good.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

bois d'orage once again was tempted only a matter of time till i crack
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Post Thanks / Like

Today I didn't buy Midnight in Paris. It's a shame, really, because I know how much I'd love to wear it. But hopefully my savings account will thank me!

- - - Updated - - -

Today I didn't buy Midnight in Paris. It's a shame, really, because I know how much I'd love to wear it. But hopefully my savings account will thank me!

I've banned myself temporarily until I sell some of my own, then I'm only going to allow myself to shop with that paypal balance made from existing frags. I won't feel guilty then.

I keep going on ebay and watching loads of really expensive ones, and then just ignore the end of the auctions or only look when they are done. I've not bought any of the vintage Joys or the really expensive Sikkim and Houbigants. It's making me feel good to not-buy. (because I haven't put any for sale yet).

I almost bought Dior Homme Intense today. So much hype for that one, but I already own and love the original Dior Homme and I have enough vanilla scents. Maybe I can just swap for it.

Today I SWAPED my Dreamer. I still want new fragrances, but at least this way I only have to cover shipping price.

Posting again so soon...

Today I didn't buy L'Instant De Guerlain Extreme. Thought about ordering it on ebay, was about to hit the order button, but got to my senses quit the window.

I don't need to own these extremely hyped EDPs (DHI and LIDGE). I already bought into the hype with Aventus and Pure Malt (still waiting on the latter to get here). I should take a break from buying for a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Today I did not buy Lolita Lempicka edt. It's on clearance on sephora.com for $23, 1.7 oz. I was about to checkout when I read the review that compared the fragrance to a clean baby diaper. Thank you, random reviewer, for saving me some money today.

I have not bought Vivienne Westwood Boudoir. I did not go to the mall on Sunday to pick up my free sample of Vince Camuto from Nordstrom. I did not bid on anything online. I am having serious withdrawals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Digindirt View Post
    I have not bought Vivienne Westwood Boudoir.
    Oh man I love Boudoir!!!
    Today I did not buy Petroleum by Histoires De Parfums - I like it, but the drydown is a little dull... I also can't afford it, that's the main reason. Haven't bought a full bottle for over a month now :| Dying!

Post Thanks / Like

I've refrained from buying so far almost 80-90% percent of my fragrance wish list, but more specifically, today and the last couple of months I didn't buy several male Guerlains, simply because the local fragrance store at the mall doesn't retail them, this house being unfortunately under-represented, in favor of many more scents by Ck, Boss, D&G etc. (not that I would have anything against the latter fragrance houses, I would just love to see more or, as a matter of fact, any male Guerlains on sale).

Yatagan by Caron.
    'Been reading and re-reading reviews about it for days, obsessively, but I already spent all my Christmas money. I did a search before I left work and headed straight for the nearest Wallgreen's like a somnambulist. Thank God they didn't actually have it (even though it's a 'cheapie'). I don't know what comes over me sometimes. The idea of blind buying such a bizarre, albeit classic, scent (by all accounts) was just too thrilling. If they'd had it, I'd be wearing it right now and I wouldn't care even if I thought it was awful. It would have been a triumph (of something?). I love blind buying for some reason.

Currently waiting impatiently for a pitifully small decant of Black Orchid (another supposedly outlandish scent I've never encountered). When I get it I'm determined to DROWN in it, even if I hate it. I clearly have very strange problems...
    Impenitent incense junkie. I will not stop.

Post Thanks / Like

What a great idea, I never noticed this thread

Yesterday I almost bought a bottle of Guerlain 180ans. I love Guerlain...but I came to my senses before I get caught by my girlfriend but it was too late she saw me. She wasn't to impressed with the price saying it was too much and I already have too much bottles. I took a deep breath and closed the browser. I ended up taking my love to a nice dinner and a movie

Post Thanks / Like

L'ombre dans l'eau EDP. Outbid at the last moment, which may have been just as well since one would think my EDT was enough for now and I hadn't quite made up my mind from my sample as to whether I actually needed the EDP as well. And I'd just blown a hundred dollars on samples from the lovely folks at Surrender to Chance the day before.

So thank you, whoever outbid me! But I'll be back.

Yesterday, I almost bought PdE Cuir Ottoman and HdP Amber 114. But I still have wears from my sample of Cuir Ottoman, so really need to wait. I don't need anything, I just want them. Ugh.

Was getting ready to buy Man.Aubusson Intense today but held off awaiting a 20% coupon.

Post Thanks / Like

Animale Animale.....

I'd like to hear some good reviews first.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Post Thanks / Like

I am slowing way down on purchases. I'm just kind of tired of building a collection of which I use only half. I blow so much cash and don't go through much juice. My goal needs to be 20 bottles, max. I'm at 30 right now.

Post Thanks / Like

I missed out on a half full (or empty?...) bottle of 5 O'Clock Gingembre by 1 dollar. There were only one other bidder and I was away at church so I didn't get a chance to up it. Oh well.

Anything . . . but I have my eye on Tauer's L'Air Du Desert Marocain.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Today I didn't buy - 2013

Almost pulled the trigger on a bottle of Windsor, but the SA was unable to track oned down. Unfortunately I wasnt so lucky this past weekend

Post Thanks / Like

I passed up a chance to buy Sartorial.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    I missed out on a half full (or empty?...) bottle of 5 O'Clock Gingembre by 1 dollar. There were only one other bidder and I was away at church so I didn't get a chance to up it. Oh well.
    I know the feeling, but the thing is, we don't really know what the other person's max bid might have been. We may have had to go considerably higher than just a dollar in order to beat the other person.

I always keep that in mind when I'm the second-highest bidder, as it does help my perspective.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Love this thread! Great idea
    Every day is the day I almost buy a bell jar of douce amere, neela vermeire trial set, and vero profumo extrait rubj and onda.
    And then the list goes on.. All so expensive!:/
    My new system is following: nothing enters the house unless something leaves! And still I have to sell of many old ones to afford a new bottle, which makes me think twice!

I almost pulled the trigger on White Aoud and Black Aoud the other day, but my wife was watching over my shoulder as I sat in front of Montale's website contemplating the purchase. Needless to say I could feel her eyes burning two holes in my back, so I didn't buy them. My wife won that one.

Any niche.

Post Thanks / Like

Today I very successfully sat on my hands and didn't bid on some vintage Joy and a bottle of Jicky.

(I did make a small slip up, but it was for £10 rather than the £50+ that either of those would have cost).

Anything yet...but there are still 4 hours+ left.

I did not buy a bunch of Cartier fragrances that I had put in my shopping cart.

I just managed to hold off buying Chanel Egoiste today, although I may not be so reserved when I get paid...

Post Thanks / Like

I managed to not buy 2 bottles of Ramon Monegal and 2 Serge Lutens I have been eyeing... my birthday is coming up soon though and I hope I will get some perfume money to spend though.

I didn´t buy any Amouages. I decided to sample first, since they are so expensive. I wanna try gold and jubilation. If any of you guys have these ones, send me a PM.