Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Scent from the late 80s with loads of anise?

So back when I was in HS there was a guy I went to school with that always smelled amazing. I always wanted to ask him what he was wearing, but never had it in me to inquire.

Years later as I sniff frags with a heavy anise note, it brings me back and reminds me of that smell.

I'm not sure what he wore, but I'm confident it must have had a lot of anise in it.

What are some frags worn during the late 80s to around '91 that have a strong anise or licorice-like smell?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Scent from the late 80s with loads of anise?

Azzaro pour homme comes to mind.

cacio

Not loads but enough: Carrera (original)

Post Thanks / Like

No specific anise note, but still strong notes of "dark herbals". Like the herbs and the liquorice notes sensed in some alcoholic drinks including vermouth, absinthe and bitter, I do sense, IMO, in late 80's powerhouses like Salvador Dali pour Homme, Francesco Smalto pour Homme, Gucci Nobile and Davidoff Relax.

Go check out Versace Black Jeans.
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the recs. I love Azzaro PH and it actually seems pretty close to what I remember this guy wearing, but something about it seems different. I don't know if it is the reformulation or memory playing a trick on me, so that one could very well be it.

I've not tried Carrera or some of the others mentioned, so I will check those out. I've tried Nobile at some point and IIRC there are similarities there to what I remember smelling on him too, but I think Azzaro is closer.

Unfortunately Black Jeans came out in 1997 which is way after this time frame, so it wouldn't specifically be what I am looking for. I'm sure it's still worth a sniff, so thanks for pointing it out.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Azarro pH - I suspect today's formulation will smell a bit differently to that of the late 80's

Post Thanks / Like

Oh great, now you guys are going to have my chasing my tail looking for a bottle of vintage APH....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tehtimmeh View Post
    Oh great, now you guys are going to have my chasing my tail looking for a bottle of vintage APH....
    Rather than chase your tail, why not just contact this guy and ask him what it was at your next class reunion, via facebook, etc.

Yves Saint Laurent - Opium for Men, pure anise...still excellent.

Well, now I need to try Opium...
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Post Thanks / Like

I went on a sniffing trip and sniffed most of the recs here. Love Opium, but I know that's not the one. Azzaro is still the closest. I pulled the trigger on some vintage APH which should arrive in the next few days and I will report back with my impression.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Gucci Nobile and Azzaro PH.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a big fan of anise, probably due to crappy Absinthes that I once bought where the anise would overpower most of the other smells.

Post Thanks / Like

The vintage Azzaro came in, so I am updating. Absolutely solid purchase without a doubt. It's not worlds different from the current release (I expected it might be), but it is a bit smoother overall and seems to have a bit more depth. The overall scent profile is very much the same as the current release. I'm guessing the current juice is just lighter in the oakmoss department.

I've done some more testing of these 80s style aromatic fougeres and came across Aramis Tuscany which also fits this same scent profile very, very closely. Lists anise in the mid notes. I doubt it would have been something a HS kid would have worn back then, but you never know who goes into their father's stash. :-)

They are both extremely close to that memory that I have, but I'm not 100% sure if one of them is the exact match. After all, it's been 20 years since I smelled this particular scent and memory is foggy at best. After all that I have tried from this genre, I'm pretty confident that one of them is the one, but I will probably never know for sure.

Either way, it's been fun, will continue to be fun, and I've increased my appreciation for this genre.

Post Thanks / Like

Look for reviews that list black licorice also as it can smell like anise.

Opium for Men .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tehtimmeh View Post
    The vintage Azzaro came in, so I am updating. Absolutely solid purchase without a doubt. It's not worlds different from the current release (I expected it might be), but it is a bit smoother overall and seems to have a bit more depth. The overall scent profile is very much the same as the current release. I'm guessing the current juice is just lighter in the oakmoss department.

I've done some more testing of these 80s style aromatic fougeres and came across Aramis Tuscany which also fits this same scent profile very, very closely. Lists anise in the mid notes. I doubt it would have been something a HS kid would have worn back then, but you never know who goes into their father's stash. :-)

They are both extremely close to that memory that I have, but I'm not 100% sure if one of them is the exact match. After all, it's been 20 years since I smelled this particular scent and memory is foggy at best. After all that I have tried from this genre, I'm pretty confident that one of them is the one, but I will probably never know for sure.

Either way, it's been fun, will continue to be fun, and I've increased my appreciation for this genre.
    Good to hear your views on the older stuff compared to new.

Have you tried Opium yet? Quite a bit denser than ApH

The closest that I've tried that would meet your demands is IL Lancetti. Keep in mind that they didn't make candy-like frags back then, as the perfumers had a sense of balance in mind whereas today making notes "spike" is quite common. If you want anise to spike, try something like Lolitia Lempicka au Masculin.

Post Thanks / Like

They are not 80's scents but they are anise-loaded!
    &

My guess about what your friend wore is Pub Cologne, though that came out in the 60s.