Code of Conduct

Default Sa Majeste La Rose vs Highness Rose vs Une Rose

I'm a bit torn and thought could use some help. It's meant to a be a gift for my sister, who's told me she goes a bundle on rose soliflores. Annick Goutal's Rose Absolue is her most favourite scent ever, and I'm looking to gift her something along the lines of said scent.

I'm not a particularly big fan of rose soliflores myself, and most of the rose fragrances I own are rose combos - rose-oud or rose-patchouli or rose-chypre or orientals. I've tested three rose soliflores - Une Rose (which I found a tad too winy), Sa Majeste La Rose (lovely, but just not my cuppa) and Highness Rose (which my untrained nose couldn't differentiate from Sa Majeste la Rose, perhaps because I was testing them at the same time on either wrist, but very beautiful nonetheless).

I was wondering if anyone would have any other suggestions for rose soliflores. And also, it'd be nice if someone could shed light on the difference between SMLR and Highness Rose.

Cheers.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sa Majeste La Rose vs Highness Rose vs Une Rose

I found Highness Rose to be quite similar to AG Rose Absolue, but more linear, less diffusive, and with great longevity as a skin scent. Of the two, I actually prefer Rose Absolue, which seems brighter to me. RA is a combination of 6 roses but based on its smell, I think it emphasizes Rose de mai (a.k.a. Grasse rose, rosa centifolia, cabbage rose.), as does Highness Rose.

If she really loves Rose Absolue she will probably like Highness Rose too. The Perfume Shoppe sells it at reduced prices, see here:
    http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com/Mont...show=10&page=4
    However, it may seem too similar to RA to interest her.

I didn't think Highness Rose smelled much like Sa Majesté La Rose. I believe the latter is more of a red tea rose. I'll leave it to others to comment on that one as I don't like it.

Une Rose is a red rose with lots of darker, earthier notes.

A completely different rose soliflore that I adore is Creed Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare. Unfortunately this comes in bottles no smaller than 250 mls. See Creed Boutique online (prices have gone up recently) or Parfums Raffy (website still shows the lower pricing on that scent.) This is more of a Bulgarian rose and is liqueur-like with lovely green top notes.

Where the rose extract stopped at the soil in SMlR, it continues deep into the earth with Une Rose. Truly a rose and it's roots. I prefer UR because of the rooty facet.
    What I didn't like was the obtrusive ISO E Super amounts in Une Rose.

for swap/sale:

I've yet to smell Highness Rose, but Sa Majeste is a very fresh, sappy, green, living, apple-tinted rose. It's very front-and-center dewy rose without many details added on to that.

Une Rose is quite the opposite. I find it a thick patchouli-fied, powdery, rose-water-note rose; really quite murky and unpleasant to my nose. Though I'm not a fan of it, either, Portrait Of A Lady was a superior rendition along similar lines: more ambery, oud-y, more brassy almost.

Have you tried Rose de Nuit by Serge Lutens? To my nose that's just about the ultimate chypre-rose, so it might be right up your alley.

Basenotes Institution

I agree with 30 Roses that Highness Rose and A Goutal's Rose Absolue are similar .
    Personally I think both are fantastic . The only downer for me with the Goutal is longevity . It lasted 20 minutes on both my sister and myself . In fact my sister loves the Goutal but won't buy it because of the longevity issue. Otherwise heavenly.

Highness Rose was also outstanding and very high quality . A lot of purity and long lasting .
    I also adored it !

Une Rose - very tenacious - one spray lasted all night till the next morning. Excellent choice as well . This one is probably a touch earthy but does not distract from the Rose , for me.

I actually am not fond of Serge Lutens Sa Majeste. I'm not saying it isn't good but I prefer the other three. This one was my mother's choice though.

I would have a hard time choosing but I would most likely get Highness Rose or Une Rose simply because the Goutal is not tenacious on me and at the end of the day , that would be frustrating .

Suga - talking of rose chypres- my fave is Andy Tauer's Une Rose Chypree. Great stuff !

Rose de Nuit is gorgeous - a gothic dark rose .

PS - my favorite rose is Fleurs de Bulgarie by Creed . Both my sister and my mother love this one very much . It reminds me most of Bulgarian Rose Otto . It's a tenacious but sheer and velvety rose with the Creed ambergris drydown. It's simple but stunning . I love the smell of this and when my mother wears it , the sillage is just glorious .

The other Creed Rose that 30 Roses mentioned - Fleur de The Rose Bulgare is also very beautiful ! Ah choices !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 3rd August 2012 at 05:32 AM.

Wow, Une Rose is quite an expensive gifts. Wonderful rose, though.

In addition to what you mention, you can also check into Parfums de Rosine, a line which specializes in rose soliflores. There's currently a pass the sample going on, so you can check the comments there
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...le-pass-around
    I think Rosine also sells a set of vials of all their offerings.

cacio

Sa Majeste la Rose is about as banal as most rose fragrances.The gallon of citronellol they used doesn't make it any better. The Creed rose fragrances are on the same level - simple things that ultimately lack any character.

Une Rose
    is excellent but it can scream from ten feet away (woody amber, probably not Iso E Super). My girlfriend used to wear it a lot. It was good sometimes and not so good others. Portrait of A Lady is made well and has compelling top and heart notes. I don't want my girlfriend smelling like it but some of the people I know like it. It's basically just another cute little niche thing with a clean base that doesn't have any character.

Rose de Nuit
    (Lutens) is cool as the other side of your pillow. It's also one of the only Lutens fragrances I really like. Might as well try some Knowing as well. Parfum de Peau (vintage), too. It needs a little castoreum, but Black Aoud might work.
    Last edited by pluran; 3rd August 2012 at 09:14 AM.

Rose Nacre du Désert (Guerlain) is the most interesting rose I have tried in a while. Did an A & B with Une Rose and the Malle seemed a bit under-dressed by comparison . . .

Lyric Woman (Amouage) is always worth a shot for quite a different take on rose - the jammy, slightly 'dessert wine' density of it is quite unique.

Perhaps not quite right for your sister (?) but if you get the chance they're both worth trying. The Guerlain is hard to get hold of BTW.

I would test the sparkling, uplifting F Malle's 'Lipstick rose' if I were you, and I second Tauers Une rose chypree, it is simply fantastic!
    Visit my Norwegian blog
    http://www.hagenpahytta.net
    Gardening, nature, food, perfume, life.

"Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors"
    Mary Cantwell

Could I suggest Red Roses (Jo Malone) as an example of a gorgeous rose soliflore that, although it's a little greener than Rose Absolue is stronger and more like actually smelling a bunch of fresh-cut roses?
    And La Rose de Rosine is another truly beautiful rose scent, though not a soliflore as it blends rose with violet and lily. But the rose note remains dominant.
    I also love Rose Absolue, and I cherish the above two rose scents as well. I never get tired of the rose note.

Basenotes Institution

Oh yes, Red Roses by Jo Malone is a beautiful scent . I also like that Jo Malone has ancillary products for that scent.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Thanks for all the responses.

Eventually, I ended up getting her Une Rose. After reading the Highness Rose is quite similar to the Goutal, I decided not to go for it, and I also learnt that she already owns Sa Majeste La Rose. That left me with no other option.

Funnily, I ended up falling a bit in love with the Malle myself. I'd never quite loved rose soliflores, because they used to smell a tad sour on me, but Une Rose is lovely. Am stretched a bit thin at the mo, what with buying Une Rose, Le Parfum de Therese and Rose Nacre du Désert in quick succession, but Une Rose will definitely be my next fragrance purchase.

I'm curious about the Jo Malone one though. I only ever own Jo Malone's orange blossom scent, and that lasts on me for about 2 hours.

Rose de Nuit is amazing. I own a FB of it, and it's a mystery to me why it hasn't been released in the export line. I also recently had someone get me a FB of Rose Nacre du Désert for myself, which is quite sublime.