Code of Conduct

Default What do you consider

your biggest complaint with the fragrance industry? Too many flankers? Too much or not enough oud lately? Too many releases in general or not enough? Something totally different?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What do you consider

My complaint would be the loss of classic styles by a lowest common denominator regulation effect.

I think IFRA has a very real and very legitimate purpose, but the question is, where does consumer choice end? A certain amount of legitimate choice has been taken away from the consumer, IMO. The consumer needs ways to say "I'm willing to take a known risk on THIS."

Agree with redneck. IFRA and the destruction of the classics is my biggest complain. Both the aromachemical houses and certain brand owners are at fault - the aromachemical companies for having created such rules, and the brand owners for not having complained.

cacio

My only complaint would be lack of availability of some lines in the States.

LVMH's overwhelming influence on the French market. In France it is impossible to find vintage Guerlain, Dior, Givenchy... on the internet. LVMH forbids it and has asked eBay and other sites to:
    1. remove all listings of any of their products
    2. prevent French internet users from viewing and buying LVMH products listed on foreign eBay sites
    3. prevent French internet users from reselling vintage Guerlain, Dior and Givenchy.

Basenotes Institution

+1 for what Red and Cacio said .
    Also too many flankers and too many general releases .
    I am amazed also by the new number of niche brands popping up.

Too many flankers and boring sweet scents, too many 'noirs' that aren't noir..too nice of bottles for the juice..mainstream houses don't take a jump and do something different and bombastic..many both mainstream and niche are weak in the longevity and juice, too thin models, I am like totally done with the lollipop phase in mainstream scents already, like let's get something ORIGINAL here, did I mention models need to eat more?, not enough more mature models, too much photoshop in ads, overcharging for weak, watered down smelling scents...ya, I guess there's a few lol.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    +1 for what Red and Cacio said .
    Also too many flankers and too many general releases .
    I am amazed also by the new number of niche brands popping up.
    All of the above are good points:

IFRA
    Too many flankers
    Too many new niche companies
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I agree with Redneck. I'll had that that most of us seem not to have an historical memory. Too often we experience what I call an "old fragrance with a new label". I'm not talking about the flankers but the overal lack of creativity in both niche and designer houses.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Too many flankers that are actually good or at least remotely useful/justifiable
    Too much disregard, disrespect and dilettantism towards the customer - both the SA nor the PR department of most scent manufacturers and/or retailers are less and less attentive towards the demands of more knowledgeable customers, because most of them know that recent fads and mass market trends equal "where the big money is"
    Both legit environmental concerns and bogus claims of environmental concerns used as an excuse to tamper, to manipulate with the price and the quality
    "Niche is the new mass-market"
    Combined with the aforementioned, little diversity in spite of new variations, flankers, concentrations, even new brands overflowing the market
    Extreme disdain towards and underrating of well-made, influential and good quality classics

To all the valid things said above, I'll add my particular grouse: when they make 50 ml bottles so ridiculously expensive in comparison to the 100 ml (see for example Amouage and Frederic Malle). Ok they needn't be half the price, but when the difference is so small the customer just feels conned.

Lack of availability.
    I am getting really tired of seeing $90 bottles that were going for $60 years ago..retail.

All the above + the lack of transparency.
    Customized consultancy on olfactory branding, design & research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & network on all things smelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations

The use of synthetic notes. They sure are charging us for natural notes.

for swap/sale:

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Great points by RP, cacio and Reminiscent. I have no problems with the proliferation of niche brands, as long as they are competent. But half-baked also rans?? C'mon... We don't need designer clones in niche clothing.
    My other little gripe: the lack of travel sized bottles of 15-30 ml. I don't see why I should be made to pay for 100 ml of anything.

Basenotes Institution

Also - the increase in prices of fragrances in the last 2-3 years. Since I am wearing Carnal Flower - I will use it as an example. Bottle bought 2010 - $300 ( before tax in US )
    Bottles for sale today $340 ( before tax in US)
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    My complaint would be the loss of classic styles by a lowest common denominator regulation effect.

I think IFRA has a very real and very legitimate purpose, but the question is, where does consumer choice end? A certain amount of legitimate choice has been taken away from the consumer, IMO. The consumer needs ways to say "I'm willing to take a known risk on THIS."
    +1, this is mine as well.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Also - the increase in prices of fragrances in the last 2-3 years. Since I am wearing Carnal Flower - I will use it as an example. Bottle bought 2010 - $300 ( before tax in US )
    Bottles for sale today $340 ( before tax in US)
    So is that price worth it to you just because you choose to splurge on this particular hobby? In other words, let's say a great Malle bottle is a 9.5/10 and is $340, but a great designer release is a 7.8/10 and $50. Is the difference in price justified because you actually do like the Malle that much more instead of just the latest Armani? Or do think it's rare that a designer bottle is worth buying at all?

Raw material costs have increased in a horrible scary way over the past five years; fragrances are going to be more expensive if the fragrance houses and the distributers of fine fragrances are going to maintain their profits.

Too many scents with poor sillage and/or longevity.

It's a shame to spend good money on a scent that smells very good, only to have it disappear in a few hours.
    I realize this is in part based on the inherent properties of the ingredients, and maybe nothing can be done by the fragrance makers to alter this. It's just a pet peeve of mine.

Not enough sales. Everything else goes on sale at some time or another: hard drives, clothing, peanut butter...why not fragrance? Can't the Bay have a 50% off sale once and a while?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    So is that price worth it to you just because you choose to splurge on this particular hobby? In other words, let's say a great Malle bottle is a 9.5/10 and is $340, but a great designer release is a 7.8/10 and $50. Is the difference in price justified because you actually do like the Malle that much more instead of just the latest Armani? Or do think it's rare that a designer bottle is worth buying at all?
    The thing is, I will still buy a scent at increased cost. It doensn't matter to me if it's a Malle and Carnal Flower or Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel . if I love it , wear it and I can afford to, then I will still buy the scents I love . So yes, the price is worth it to me if the scent is worth it to me.
    However I cannot help observing the great increase in price across board .
    David Ruskin - thank you for your input. I realize that but I cannot help but moan ,I guess.
    ( It is not just fragrances, I noticed the cost of food has risen too . At least where I live. )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

Absolutely second this - if they are worried about allergies, I dont see why they dont sell the fragrance with a warning label. They sell cigarettes, dont they? How dangerous is that! These restrictions are killing the perfume industry and destroying perfume as I have known it.

I hope it's only a matter of time before a consumer movement makes these companies reconsider their attitude.

There's far, far, too much calone around - horrible stuff!
    Alan

Creativity is the major factor to me.

Rip off prices, lack of longevity and power of scents, lame scents, the mutilating and discontinuing of classics, silly advertising.

Reformulating while keeping the same name, bottle and price, even after only 2-3 years of production. I'm not talking only about IFRA regulations, but also of using cheaper ingredients just for increasing their profit. E.g. Dior.

Banned
    Blog Entries

1. Fragrances with really good top notes and mediocre base notes.

2. Flankers, which are bad, and are NOTHING like the original.