Code of Conduct

Default Conehead query: Mystra by Aesop

I wonder if anyone can comment on Mystra by the Australian company Aesop. There are a few threads with good information but they date to 2008, and there are a few reviews. I'd appreciate some recent ruminations.
    The notes sound terrific! Labdanum, frankincense, and mastic. I'm becoming a fan of mastic, found in CdG Airborne and also Sisley's Eau D'Ikar.
    Cheers!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Default Re: Conehead query: Mystra by Aesop

Smelled recently again at the store in NYC. Absolutely wonderful, a deep, ancient smell, resinous, dry, rich. Despite the frankincense, it doesn't smell at all like the standard churchy incense.

I'll eventually buy it. The only little thing is that it costs a lot ($90 for 10ml oil), and unfortunately it comes in the hated roll-on, which is inexcusable for anything so expensive. (It also comes in alcohol format, which is cheaper, but it smells also lighter, less rich and deep, so I definitely prefer the oil).

cacio

Thanks, cacio! That sounds really good. I hope to try these in London in a month.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Institution

Wonderful stuff, I agree with cacio, it was like a more ancient version of your typical incense scent (the CdG's, etc) with perhaps a more holistic, Eastern vibe to it. I kept thinking it smelled like something I'd love to wear right before I get a massage or go to a day spa. It sure ain't cheap, which has kept me from purchasing a full bottle.

Turin/Sanchez gave it 4 stars (green resinous) saying 'This perfume must be sampled on skin because the volatile fraction of the resinoids distorts the smell completely on a smelling strip. It is a wonderfully dissonant accord of salubrious, bittersweet, and green notes unlike anything I have encountered before. It has some of the bracing transience of bay rum, but more archaic, and smells clean and earthy in the drydown. Wonderful'.

Unlike cacio, I actually preferred the alcohol format, over the oil.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I"m really getting motivated! Thanks for the comments.
    odysseusm

Mystra has kind of a healing smell to it. It smells like a high quality massage oil or even more towards the healing herbal arts. This medicinal quality is what I like about Mystra and also what I don't like about it. Sometimes you don't want to smell like you just came from a healing spa massage. It has frankincense, Labdanum and mastic. The mastic gives it an herbal piney scent. I have Mystra in the perfume balm cream and it is comforting, natural and healing fragrance that seems to absorb right through the skin almost like a lineament. The scent is very penetrating. I recommend it in the alcohol based perfume as the best way to own it.

Marakech is the other fragrance from Aesop and it smells exactly like the deep spice filled air in the Souk of Marakech (I got to visit this area last summer). I personally prefer Marakech for a personal fragrance over Mystra. But, Mystra has more of a healing vibe to it so if that is what you are looking for Mystra is good for that.

Mystra smells medicinal because of the frankincense but mostly from the ingredient Mastic (Lentsic) which is a resin from the Mastic tree. Mastic resin is a flavoring, medicinal remedy and fragrance material that was commonly used during the Roman empire and is harvested only in Greece (I think) by gathering the resin that forms on the outside of the tree into resin tears. Mastic tears are chewed as chewing gum for its flavor and it has a very piney flavor. Mastic gum is sold in health food shops for healing qualities of mastic in all kinds of ailments of the mouth, gums, throat and even stomach ulcers.

Dependent

Thanks for your input guys

Basenotes Institution

I didn't know they had Mystra in a balm, wow that sounds wonderful, although I imagine it's probably as expensive as the perfumes...in fact the entire Aesop skin care line is outrageously priced.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I love it!!! It is not a frankincense scent in the vein of Avignon...
    It is more like the abstract (yet very real) idea of the perfect resin. It is green and dark, even poisonous resin.

Great comments.
    @Buzzelpuff -- I LOVE medicinal scents, things like liniment or tonic or of a spa... really appeal to me.
    odysseusm

I like it a lot and agree with comments above - and will add: if aveda made Mecca balsam you would get this.

Basenotes Institution

Ody have you smelled any of the Aveda scents, the Chakra ones? The #7 is very similar to Mystra.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I thought I'd do an update, since I was able to get a bottle during my recent trip to London.

This is a simple scent -- and sometimes simplicity done to perfection is completely satisfying. That is the case here.
    Woody, dry, green, resinous, haunting, invigorating, classy.
    Wear very well throughout the day.

In the store, I tried both the Edt (splash) and Parfum (roll-on) versions. The Edt is a little drier, brisker and woodier than the Parfum which is very smooth. I preferred the Edt version.
    odysseusm

Basenotes Institution

Congrats Ody, I sort of assumed you'd like it.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Well done - congrats, Ody.

I went off to revisit Mystra when this thread kicked off and they don't carry it in HK anymore - bummer. I remember trying it some time back and liking it but my priorities were elsewhere. I agree with the simple done well sentiment!

Overall I think Aesop are a good brand, I like the little Ginger flight therapy thing they have and a couple of the grooming products.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 4th August 2012 at 08:37 AM.