Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default you are embarrassed that you like.......

What are some of the frags that you really like that you would most likely be embarrassed to reveal to a basenoter.

I know its all about what you like, and believe me i wear whats i likes, whens i likes......but what are some of the frags you love that would get crucified in general on a basenote review?

My personal favorite would be Cigar Aficionado.......have any of you guys ever smelled this, i love it, its very boozey pipe tabac in nature and im sad that its been discontinued..........what do you all think of this one, im curious. And tell me some of yours

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: you are embarrassed that you like.......

I love and own Touch for Men by Fred Hayman and a few Basenoters loathe that one. Also, I think that the Axe Body Spray scent, Kilo, smells pretty good. No kidding.

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Off-Scenter

I don't think I have any dirty secrets. I doubt any seasoned Basenoter would raise an eyebrow at my wearing stuff like Carnal Flower or Habanita.

I'm with Mike. I do enjoy the occasional Axe spray.

funny you should ask.

I recently fell head over heels in love with Bath and Body works Sensual Amber. I change fragrance often throughout the day, but for 7 days in a row now - I reached for SA at one point or another. I cannot tell you the last time I wore a fragrance for 7 days in a row. Its probably been 10 years - back when I was first getting into fragrances when I only had 4 bottles or so.

And I now have it in nearly every product it comes in - the body lotion is brilliant.

Im a snob, there, I'll say it. So for me to even admit that I like a BBW product is saying a lot.

BUT - you best like semi-sweet amber if you intend on loving this one. Its got no incense to back it up - its more crystalline. But not sweet as candy like some ambers can be - I dont like them when they're too edible.
    Last edited by MarkDavid; 6th January 2008 at 11:15 PM.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Basenotes Plus

My collection spans everything from drugstore cheapies to Serge Lutens to Etro to Caron to Guerlain, with lots of department store frags in between.

No doubt I own a few that would get a drubbing here, namely

Avon Sweet Honesty
    Bonne Bell Skin Musk
    Auric Blends Amber and Egyptian Goddess
    Brut (Not a bad little fougere at all, although of course the current version is nothing compared to the old school '70s version)

No matter. None of it embarrasses me. I love everything I own and I wear it all with pleasure and pride.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Axe Below-0... it's a "limited edition", very dry vanilla scent. I think it smells better than some colognes; but, then I realize it's Axe, and two minutes after I put it on, it's gone.

Smile Re: you are embarrassed that you like.......

[ducks for cover] I'm actually kinda embarrassed to admit that I actually LIKE A*MEN. I think it's a fun scent. I wore it to death when it first came out in '96, I think. I had EVERYTHING in the entire line. The only reason I don't wear it now is because it seems like EVERYONE wears it around here. [/ducks for cover]

Also somewhat embarrassed to admit that I'm in love with dirty and strong patchouli scents... and that I sometimes layer my frags with my pure patch oils. Patchouli is my favorite note. I also like the smell of smoked cannabis.. even though I don't smoke it.

I actually don't see why I should be embarrassed to like any scent... That doesn't fit with the nature of the thread though..

if I had to choose 'one' it would be Paco Rabanne's Ultraviolet Man... I guess I am embarrassed that I actually swapped for this horrific cloying mess of a fragrance.... heh

a.

have any of you ever tried that cigar aficionado, i dont think ive ever heard a good opinion of it, but i love the stuff

Though I don't wear it, I don't at all mind the much loathed 4711.

I also enjoy Axe Tsunami and Kilo. Also BOD Man Black = Armani Code and the new BOD Man Silver = Unforgivable. I often spray those when I roam around Walmart or Target occasionally...

I am not embarrassed, but I probably should be - everytime I sing the praises of Instinct by David Beckham, I suddenly feel like Charlton Heston in the Omega Man.

Won't stop me though - I still think it is one of the richest citrus fragrances regardless of provenance.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Jovan's Sex Appeal

I am embarrassed that i like . . .. . . .. perfume.

It's my dirty litle secret.

Paris Hilton for Men...even though the longevity is terrible

Carlos Santana because it is a celebrity fragrance and Acqua Di Gio because everyone (most) dislikes it.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Not really embarrased, but i do own both the EdT and body spray of Kiss Him :brolly:.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

old spice.

Hey, knightowl...how is Kiss on the drydown? Im really curious about it...ive smelled it at the counter but never let it evolve fully on me.

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    old spice.

Hey, knightowl...how is Kiss on the drydown? Im really curious about it...ive smelled it at the counter but never let it evolve fully on me.
    jd,

The drydown is much like the top notes, but not exactly linear...it gets muskier and deeper as it dries. Further testing is necessary, as i'm not 100% acquainted with this fragrance just yet.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I love and own Touch for Men by Fred Hayman and a few Basenoters loathe that one. Also, I think that the Axe Body Spray scent, Kilo, smells pretty good. No kidding.

Yeah, those two. And I also like Axe Tsunami. And Armani Code.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I work with some "cock-blocker" insecure jock types. I'd be embarassed to tell them I was into cologne/perfume. Kinda sux:-(

Talking Re: you are embarrassed that you like.......

Unisex cologne that leans feminine or floral almost without exception never appeals to me.

One exeption, and a very very strong one, being Virgin Island Water.
    I'm half embarrassed I like it so much, but ey, f#@k it, I like what I like.

Adidas Moves.

Used to overdose on this back in the day - I probably turned everyone's stomach. For an ultra-synthetic/sporty-fresh frag that likely uses a laboratory's worth of chemicals I find it and others like it (the rest of the Adidas series, the Gillette aftershaves, etc.) pleasant enough with a feather-light trigger finger, and in my opinion it's much better than much of what flies off department store shelves nowadays.

Where was I? Oh yeah, NOT being a snob...oops...
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

That Man by Revlon
    Clubman by Pinaud
    Canoe by Dana
    Royal Copenhagen by Royal Copenhagen
    Royal Copenhagen Musk by Royal Copenhagen
    Santa Fe
    Iron by Coty
    Tamerisk by Mary Kay
    Touch for Men by Fred Hayman

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I can't think of one to tell you the truth...i have no shame.

Yatagan; or should I feel embarrassed? I know its no Ferrari or Lambo or Porsche but its a Corvette with plates that say "Wet Yet?"

My fondness for all things Salvador Dali. I especially like the pour homme but all the scents I think are well built and satisfying. Pricewise they seem to be incredible bargains.

Canoe still delights me. Remembering High School and all the wise guys kids coming to school wearing it. There's a bottle in my closet and I find out yesterday from an old Luca Turin blog piece that it's considered a classic men's fougere along with Brut.

L'AIR DU TEMPS

Although I don't wear it much, Fierce by A&F is my guilty pleasure. It struck me this morning how odd it looks among my other bottles...just a little 1 OZ bottle among the "greats".

I'm really not embarassed by anything in my collection....from my bottles of Jean Phillipe knockoffs from Dollar Tree (sprayed on light bulbs around the house) up to the better department store frags. I love them all, wear them, and enjoy them for what they are.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Smile Re: you are embarrassed that you like.......

Chuck. I had that at one time and liked it ( Cigar Efficinado)

I also like Curve(The Original) & Realm.
    Last edited by Zerby; 16th October 2009 at 03:38 PM.

Blog Entries

I still wear Curve every once in awhile.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Paco by Paco Rabanne, which is a copy of CK1. I like the smell and packaging and the price and that it's easy to travel with, most people like it and to snobs who recognize ck1 can tell "No, It's Paco."

Another one is Estee Lauder Pleasures. Lasts long on me and I just like it.

I really like my Axe Click Eau de Toilette *and* After Shave (not deodorant) for casual wear. The top notes are really nice fresh and citrusy, the middle notes are somewhat bitter, and I'd swear the basenotes are like YSL Rive Gauche fresh - barbasolly.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 7th January 2008 at 10:18 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

The only one I can think of Azzaro Pure Lavender. I know it's much maligned here, but there's something comforting about it. Also it seems to be a real compliment getter. Not bad for $10

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I am a little trepidatious about admitting to like any of my fragrances. Go figure. Bandit is classified as feminine. Fracas for men is "cheap" by most accounts. Penhaligon's is much maligned as stodgy and over priced...Everybody's got an opinion and not everyone will like what I do- for any number of reasons.
    In the end, I like them and that's what matters- I was also a jock who went gaga for the Go-Go's so I'm used to ridicule- bring it on! I also like Tabu as a room spray. :0
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

I am a bit embarassed of still liking Azzaro for men. It reminds me of my teenage years. The memories are so good that I can't disconnect them from the perfume.

Chanel No 19.... <sigh> I just love it, but my partner thinks it smells like an old biddy.....

Not embarassed, but I wear Old Spice when I can't make up my mind....
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Mont Blanc's Starwalker
    Last edited by mmaximus; 19th January 2008 at 09:04 PM.

Royal Copenhagen is embarrassing to say but very nice to wear.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Robert Piguet's Bandit.

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    Robert Piguet's Bandit.
    just for the record I love Bandit.

OMG Britney Spears Fantasy really gets the juices flowing... I have a bottle that luckily is clear and boring looking, rather than the regular pink little-girl bottle with gems on it. If I haven't gotten with a girl in a while, I'll put some Fantasy on to remind me of good times...

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    Royal Copenhagen is embarrassing to say but very nice to wear.
    I love this one too -- powdery barbershop goodness.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Monsieur Musk
    Aqua Velva
    Axe Kilo
    Jovan Musk (on other people. on me it just smells cheap.)
    Right Guard original deodorant spray, in the can.
    You are not your perfume.

Not embarrassed, but a bit uneasy that my Quorum and Angel (women) reflect a questionable taste issue. But that's just part of me feeling a tiny bit embarrassed. A tiny part of me ;-)

Rugger Cologne by Avon. I just like it.
    thread reviver

Yes it is time for me to come out of the closet and admit that I like:

Ralph Lauren Chaps (original)

Axe Kilo and Tsunami.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Axe Dark Temptation
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

AromiErotici

I thought about this......and I can't think of one frag I'm embarrassed to own or wear.

I guess I don't put much stock in perceptions, but I guess in this case it's a good thing.

I probably give less of a damn than I used to, old age and all that, but if I had to state one that might raise the odd eyebrow it would be Diorissimo. Wonderful stuff in the cooler temperatures though

Unscripted by Patrick Dempsey ( an actor on an American TV show I do not watch) by Avon. I know that the quality is not the best, but it is not challenging, very easy to wear, simply smells nice, but a bit watery to my nose, and is unbelievably inexpensive via ebay. I should know better by now, but I still cannot help but apply it for daytime use.

Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    I probably give less of a damn than I used to, old age and all that, but if I had to state one that might raise the odd eyebrow it would be Diorissimo. Wonderful stuff in the cooler temperatures though
    Wow, I read that this is a Lily of the Valley scent. Beautiful scent, but not associated with masculinity. Good for you. A scent does not define one's masculinity. Would any one challenge the masculinity of a prize fighter for wearing any floral fragrance marketed and made for women?

With that said, I could not pull off wearing a very floral scent in my own head. I have even rejected rose fragrances, to my loss I am sure.

Alien - Thierry Mugler

Love it, but do not own it...yet.

Candies for Men? Not much else really

Basenotes Plus

Lanvin Oxygene Homme. Cheap generic freshness personified but I still find it quite pleasant.

I have no shame.