Code of Conduct

Default What is that modern artificial wood note that seems to be everywhere these days?

Hello all:

I have noticed a particular artificial wood-type note that seems to be popping up in a lot of fragrances these days. It is very sharp and smells almost like rubbing alcohol. Fragrances I have noticed it in include Armani Code Ultimate, Cartier Pasha Edition Noire, Ed Hardy Born Wild, Fendi Fan di Fendi (all of them), Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey, and Paco Rabanne One Million Intense, among others. What is it? Is it a specific substance or something created by a combination of different substances? I'm thinking it must be something specific because I smell the same thing in a number of fragrances. I don't dislike it but am just wondering what it is.

Thanks.

Default Re: What is that modern artificial wood note that seems to be everywhere these days?

Most likely norlimbanol.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: What is that modern artificial wood note that seems to be everywhere these days?

Cashmeran?

Norlimbanol is one of those woody ambers that many describe as harsh and as tending to stick out.

Many people also complain about iso e super, although that seems relatively natural to me and not really harsh, but it may come across differently to others.
    Signature Scent

I call that quality "cheap bastarditol." LOL.

Iso E?

Norlimbanol would also be my bet.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I don't think it's iso e super. Although it's ubiquitous it's not harsh. I think what your smelling are the super potent woody ambers: okumol, norlimbanol, karanal. Personally I hate them. They don't smell of wood or amber to me. They just smell like chemical olfactory razor blades.

Yes, some literally make my nose hurt, if I smell them too closely.
    Why won't the know it alls and regulators who so love banning things ban this stuff?

Norlimbanol - Now I know what that note is called. OP is right, its everywhere.

Another vote for Norlimbanol.

The easiest way to know it's not Iso E Super is to smell Molecule 01, of course, but another easy way is to smell Boss Bottled. I realize there are scents that use more Iso E Super than Boss Bottled does, but in my opinion, Boss Bottled is an especially easy scent to pick up on the Iso E Super.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Thanks for the info. I didn't think it was Iso E Super either because I have some fragrances that are supposedly heavy in that ingredient (eg, Encre Noire and Terre d'Hermes), and I don't get this particular smell in those. This is definitely something i pick up in fragrances that have come out just in the past couple of years. I have heard of norlimbanol but have not heard of a couple of the others mentioned above. It will be interesting to read up on them.

Thanks again.