Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Had an eye opening experience with skin chemistry today...

Wow, this was a real shocker. I'm relatively new at fragrance collecting and had always heard about how fragrances can change completely based on a person's skin chemistry, but I had no idea how extreme the difference could be.

I have been trying out dozens of samples lately trying to expand my meager collection a bit, so every day I try a few samples on different parts of my body in order to compare. I obtained a sample of Terre d'Hermes a few days ago and had already tried it twice. I really liked it when I had tried it before and was trying to decide whether I wanted to throw down the money for a bottle.

Now today was a little different from the previous days in that it was close to 90 degrees F outside, I had been sweating a lot, and I had applied a small amount of fragrance free lotion earlier in the day when I go out of the shower. I'm not sure which one of these factors made such an enormous difference in my skin chemistry, but something went horribly wrong today.

I started off sampling a few other fragrances earlier in the day without any problems. Everything smelled normal. There was no noticeable difference in any of the fragrances from previous times I had sampled them. I even wore a small shot of A*Men to see how it would do in hot weather, and it performed a lot better than expected. I didn't mind it at all. Then that afternoon I got to the Terre d'Hermes and something went completely haywire.

As soon as the TdH hit my skin I recoiled. I was hit by a sharp blast of caustic chemical explosion. Oh God, it was awful!!!! I think the best comparison would be bug spray. Not The stuff you spray on your body, but the stuff that is actually made to kill cocroaches. I kept my nose pointed away from that arm for a good 20 minutes hoping it would go away once it started to dry down, but nope, it's still there. My arm smells like a caustic chemical mess. Just plain horrible. I can't even describe how bad this is. My eyes are watering.

I've heard other people compare TdH to bug spray, but I never got the association. I loved this stuff the first two times I tried it. It smelled divine on my skin. Now I see exactly what they are talking about. This has been a very eye opening experience for me. I didn't know that a fragrance could undergo such drastic changes. Maybe it's all of the iso super E in TdH? Who knows. Sadly, I think I will have to skip TdH because of this experience. I don't ever want to take the chance of that happening again. Weird.

Default Re: Had an eye opening experience with skin chemistry today...

That didn't sound like a very pleasant experience.

Try Terre on colder weather.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Alvus View Post
    Try Terre on colder weather.
    As I said, I have tried TdH in cooler weather before, twice, and it was quite pleasant. I liked it a lot on those days, enough to consider buying it. However, I don't think that this is simply a cold/hot weather issue. It smelled completely different on my skin today. Vile, horrible, vomit inducing bad. I had to scrub it off. I can not trust a fragrance that can do a complete 180 like that. Scrolling through the reviews I noticed quite a few people had similar reactions. There were a number of people complaining about a really harsh bug spray smell, and I know that ThD didn't smell anything like that the first two times I wore it. I think TdH is just really temperamental to skin chemistry.

On me TdH is also quite weather dependant. but i like it in warm weather. On me it is softer, more grapefruit in the heat and slightly sweetish while it is bone dry and very peppery in the cold.

I get the vegetal pungency from TdH when the weather is a bit warmer. Not much of a problem in the UK lol

Prefer this when it is cooler