Code of Conduct

Cool The Smell for Less: Inexpensive copies of niche

So I'd like to put together a list of cheaper copies of niche fragrances. Some of us have niche, but save them for a special occasion; I'm not going to use my Tobacco Vanille as a daily scent. So feel free to contribute on what will hopefully be an expanding list of cheaper copies of fragrances.

Niche/Copy

GIT, Chez Bond = Cool Water
    Millesime Imperial = Unforgivable - Sean John, Love and Luck Ed Hardy
    New Haarlem = Michael Jordan Legend
    Tobacco Vanille = Eau des Baux, SpiceBomb
    Terre d'Hermes = Citrus and Wood by Yardley (Yes, I know, Hermes is designer, but their price point is niche)
    Original Santal = Joop! Homme
    Silver Mountain Water = Al Rehab Silver
    Allure = Perry Ellis m, Lalique Le Faune (Again, the Chanel price points border on the niche)

Any I've missed?

Default Re: The Smell for Less: Inexpensive copies of niche

Maybe change it from copies to something else. Joop! Homme came out in 1989 where as OS came out in 2005; so...

Also, Mont Blanc Individuel might be closer to OS than Joop! Homme.

Cuba Wild Heart for Creed MI?

Basenotes Junkie

Love and Luck smells like Millesime Imperial? Really? I have decants of both here and never noticed the connection. I'll have to compare them tomorrow. I know they can't be all that similar or I would have noticed.

Cool Water is definitely a decent knock off of GIT. Not exact, but good enough that most people wouldn't know the difference. The longevity of Cool Water is also better due to the synthetics used.

EDIT: Alright, I just compared MI and Love & Luck. I see the similarity now, but Love and Luck completely pales in comparison. They are miles apart in terms of quality and complexity. WAY more of a difference than between Cool Water and GIT. L&L is piss poor knock off IMO (if that was the intent). Not oven worth the price.
    Last edited by 2ndBakeryAttack; 4th August 2012 at 07:21 AM.

I don' get any similarities between tobacco vanille a d eau des beaux

Mekkanische Rose, a small independent firm from Berlin does terrific natural fragrances for ridiculously cheap. Not copies but definitely "valid alternatives" to niche expecially when your budget doesn't allow you to splurge on big tickets...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by DieNase View Post
    I don' get any similarities between tobacco vanille a d eau des beaux
    Me either, nor any similarity to Spicebomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Nor do I. This comparison always baffles me.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Terre d'Hermes I would say Franck Olivier Black Touch

I don' get any similarities between tobacco vanille and eau des beaux
    Nor do I

- - - Updated - - -

I don' get any similarities between tobacco vanille and eau des beaux
    Nor do I

TB has this mild and sweet vibe to it on me. Eau de Baux turns into its own vanilla, but not super sweet like TB. Spicebomb does not turn that sweet on me at all and the spice elements hang in there longer. I would have no trouble telling them all apart. TB is a distant cousin... Baux and SB are more like next door neighbors to me. All different but some more than others.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Jouho View Post
    Maybe change it from copies to something else. Joop! Homme came out in 1989 where as OS came out in 2005; so...
    What...so you're saying that Creed made a copy...hmm, I thought Bond no 9 only did that, well that's what people always slam them for doing...sorry, it had to be said.

On that note:
    Bond no 9 Eau de New York=Art of Shaving Lemon (so someone copied a Bond, I always thought it was the other way around) again, sorry for the sarcasm, just goes to show that just about every house copies someone else in some way.

Acqua di Gio = Perry Ellis Red
    Creed Aventus = Vision by Jaguar (so I have heard - I have never tried anything by Jaguar)
    Creed Original Santal = Mont Blanc Individuel
    Creed Original Vetiver = Mugler Cologne
    Creed Original Cologne = Burberry Weekend (a little bit of a stretch, but I think they do have some similarities at least for the 20 minutes Weekend lasts)
    Bond No. 9 Montauk = Kenneth Cole Black

I dont get the comparisons: Tobacco Vanille = Eau des Baux, SpiceBomb
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

The problem here is the premise. These aren't equals at all. Some are copies, some aren't.

Love And Luck is really nice, but it only has a few similarities with MI. To say they smell the same or are even equals is a bit silly. I can see people paying over $100 for MI, but I don't think Love & Luck is worth more than $30.

Tobacco Vanille, Eau des Baux and SpiceBomb are really entirely different scents. I can't imagine one being a replacement for another at all. EdB is awesome though. Even if it were $100 I'd say it's worth it. At $50, it's one heck of a bargain for a scent that good.

I do think it's great to point out similarities at lower price points. If you like Allure but can't afford it, Perry Ellis M is worth checking out. It's not the same, but it's worth giving a sniff. But I think saying they're = is incorrect. Even saying some are copies is wrong. EdB a copy of TV? Definitely not. Perry Ellis scents, in my opinion, are mostly copies with subtle but intentional changes. EdB is its own thing.

Silver Mountain Water= Rocawear X

Amouage Honour man and Bvlgari MAN have similarities. Honour TRUMPS bvlgari but its a cheap alternative to the amazing peppery honour.

How close is Perry Ellis M to Allure? How do they differ? I've been tempted by this one.

Perry Ellis Red differs from AdG by a lot due to the cinnamon and spice. I like AdG but hate PE Red. Anybody want to swap a PE Red for M ?

Here's some of the one's I'm familiar with a similarity scale of 1 to 5. 1=similar vibe, 2=parts are similar, 3=people will mistake one for the other at a distance, 4=very similar to the point it's hard to differentiate, 5= Only someone with a keen nose could tell the difference.

Creed SMW - Al Rehab Silver. *5*
    Creed OS - Joop! Homme. *2*
    Creed OS - Individuel. *4*
    Creed OV - Mugler's Cologne. *4*
    Creed Aventus - Zara Gold or Sprint *2*
    Creed Himalaya - Paco Rabanne XS *3*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed - Cool Water *4*, Chez Bond *2*, Kiton Man *1*
    Creed Millesime Imperial - Wall Street *2*, Love and Luck *3*, Unforgivable *3*, Unforgivable Multiplatinum *4*
    Creed Bois Du Portugal - Zino Davidoff *1*
    Creed Royal Oud - Kerosene R'Oud Elements *2*
    Musc Ravageur - Meharees *3 (MR drydown only)*

Fitch Fierce - Mont Blanc Legend.

Liked Fierce but couldn't justify the £80 price point (have a 3ml sample), only today did I test Legend by MB and to my nose smells very similar, however Legend almost smells slightly smoother and warmer. Really need to buy some!

Jouho: It's a fair point, I should've said "smell-alike or something.

I did forget another

Fierce = Curve

Bond No. 9 Riverside Drive --> Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce
    Seasonal favorites:

2. Creed - Aventus
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio

Basically your entire list is flawed. I'd start from scratch
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

I noticed these either.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    Basically your entire list is flawed. I'd start from scratch
    The alternatives listed above are somewhat in the realm/feeling of the niche fragrances mentioned but I don't think that they actually smell like them. I'd tend to agree with eggy on this.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Fantastic idea of starting this thread. I'm sure many BS, including myself, are interested in lesser priced alternatives to some very expensive niche fragrances. Thanks.

Going for inexpensive knockoffs is a mistake. It's the first step on the road to eventual dumpster diving and soup kitchens. I've seen this countless times, ask any homeless person where it all began and they will inevitably start by saying, "there was these nice knockoff of a Creed fragrance that I loved".

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    Going for inexpensive knockoffs is a mistake. It's the first step on the road to eventual dumpster diving and soup kitchens. I've seen this countless times, ask any homeless person where it all began and they will inevitably start by saying, "there was these nice knockoff of a Creed fragrance that I loved".
    I almost spit up my cocktail laughing!

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    The alternatives listed above are somewhat in the realm/feeling of the niche fragrances mentioned but I don't think that they actually smell like them. I'd tend to agree with eggy on this.
    I agree with Eggy too. I think a thread of Bargain Bests or Best Alternatives is a great idea, even if we're talking about cheapies that smell similar to high-priced scents. Saving money is awesome and there are some excellent bargains. But if somebody loves AdG and decides to save some cash and buy Perry Ellis Red hoping it'll smell equal or even really similar... well... he's in for a big let down unless he loves cinnamon and spices, in which case, he may actually prefer PE Red.

I made that mistake, and I learned my lesson thanks to PE Red.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rivera View Post
    I almost spit up my cocktail laughing!
    Not me. No offense, but, picking on the homeless is crass.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Not me. No offense, but, picking on the homeless is crass.
    I think it's ok here.. I doubt homeless people have internet
    Seasonal favorites:

2. Creed - Aventus
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio

I know this is also designer, but what is a Platinum Egoiste cheapie copy? i've heard an old COTY cologne called Avatar? any truth to that?

10dadeo I don't think anything smells similar to platinum egoiste but Mont Blanc Legend is in the same ballpark...

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    Bond no 9 Eau de New York=Art of Shaving Lemon (so someone copied a Bond, I always thought it was the other way around)
    Both Bond and Art of Shaving copied the scent. The original fragrance is GFT by Geo. Trumper. No surprise, since Art of Shaving copies everything they do from Trumper, the barber and perfumer for English gentlemen since 1875.
    Last edited by MysteryBuff40; 5th August 2012 at 03:09 AM.

I like the concept of this thread.

silentrich is onto something with the "scale" to classify similarities. Yes it's subjective but it will show a trending value if reviewers provide their input (Is it possible to start a comparison list or summary table instead of a thread?). I understand its a math equation but fragrance x = fragrance y can be misleading. I have yet to find fragrances that are exact in the top, mid, or base notes, let alone projection and longevity.

The moment I begin to compare with the intent to substitute the real deal, I would be better getting the real deal. Now the scale would be helpful to have an idea of similar type scents if your looking to continue your bottle count or juggle cost.

I'm glad Cool Water exists as I am allergic to Creed GIT.
    In fact, I have a reaction to many of the Creeds so having similar rated scents opens up options.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    1=similar vibe, 2=parts are similar, 3=people will mistake one for the other at a distance, 4=very similar to the point it's hard to differentiate, 5= Only someone with a keen nose could tell the difference.
    Your point scale is an excellent way to help interpret what someone means when he says "X" smells like "B".

But the deal breaker for me is that so many mainstream fragrances load up on iso-e super and musk which creates a headache in a bottle for me. So I'll stick with niche as much for the ingredients they don't use as for those they do.
    Last edited by MysteryBuff40; 5th August 2012 at 08:45 AM.

Hey guys?

Mont Blanc Individual - Original Santal Creed

THE END.
    THANKS FOR COMING

they are the same sure Santal has a fruity fizzy open for a good 10 seconds but after that a give you no BS they are the
    EXACT. SAME. FRAGRANCE.
    Current Signature scent: Chanel Allure Home Sport

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    How close is Perry Ellis M to Allure? How do they differ? I've been tempted by this one.

Perry Ellis Red differs from AdG by a lot due to the cinnamon and spice. I like AdG but hate PE Red. Anybody want to swap a PE Red for M ?
    Wait a minute. How far off are we talking here? The only thing keeping me from purchasing a bottle of AdG is the fact that I own PE Red.
    Walked into my friends car today, the first girl I saw screamed, "Oh my gosh!! That smells so good." What do you know, it was AdG. For some reason, I didn't even smell it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I think it's ok here.. I doubt homeless people have internet
    guess, it's crass anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Wait a minute. How far off are we talking here? The only thing keeping me from purchasing a bottle of AdG is the fact that I own PE Red.
    Walked into my friends car today, the first girl I saw screamed, "Oh my gosh!! That smells so good." What do you know, it was AdG. For some reason, I didn't even smell it.
    To my nose, they're very different. There's a Big Red gum kind of scent in PE Red that isn't in AdG, and to me, it makes a huge difference. I enjoy AdG but I dislike PE Red to the point it becomes a scrubber for me. I've tried multiple times to give it a full wear, but 4 hours is the longest I've been able to tolerate.

Creed - Bois du Portugal <> Calvin Klein - Obsession For Men.

Basenotes Junkie

I remembered another one, or a mixture of 2 I guess:
    Creed Santal Imperial mixed with Jo Malone Vetiver Cologne=Kenzo Woody

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    So I'd like to put together a list of cheaper copies of niche fragrances. Some of us have niche, but save them for a special occasion; I'm not going to use my Tobacco Vanille as a daily scent. So feel free to contribute on what will hopefully be an expanding list of cheaper copies of fragrances.

Niche/Copy

GIT, Chez Bond = Cool Water
    Millesime Imperial = Unforgivable - Sean John, Love and Luck Ed Hardy
    New Haarlem = Michael Jordan Legend
    Tobacco Vanille = Eau des Baux, SpiceBomb
    Terre d'Hermes = Citrus and Wood by Yardley (Yes, I know, Hermes is designer, but their price point is niche)
    Original Santal = Joop! Homme
    Silver Mountain Water = Al Rehab Silver
    Allure = Perry Ellis m, Lalique Le Faune (Again, the Chanel price points border on the niche)

Any I've missed?
    I have to agree that Silver is a lot like SMW; I own both but have the former on now; I'd be hard pushed to tell the difference. Not so sure that the others are that close though.

Quote Originally Posted by espinado View Post
    Now we're just being silly.

Gucci Rush - Pal Zileri Sartoriale

Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir reminds me of Creed Spice & Wood. Both earthy woody scents.

Muscs Ravaguer Malle = Meharees by L'erbolario
    Green Irish Tweed = Estee Lauder Pleasures for Men

Quote Originally Posted by espinado View Post
    Me don't think they're similar or even close!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Guapo View Post
    Gucci Rush - Pal Zileri Sartoriale
    I am so ordering Pal.Z Sartoriale if it smells like Gucci Rush!

Musc Ravageur - Helmut Lang (HL becoming rare and pricier now though)

Aventus like Zara Gold or Jaguar is complete nonsense. There s anything same as Aventus.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Mekkanische Rose, a small independent firm from Berlin does terrific natural fragrances for ridiculously cheap. Not copies but definitely "valid alternatives" to niche expecially when your budget doesn't allow you to splurge on big tickets...
    Do they have an online store?

Thanks!

Versace Man Eau Fraiche = Bulgari PH Extreme....

Oh wait, they each cost about $35 for 100ml

Is there anything close to Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan??

Eai des Beaux and spicebomb smell alike though

Gucci Pour Homme ≈ Tommy Bahama for Men

Now I can see why I like Bvulgari Man though it's completely missing the incense.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Acqua di Gio = Perry Ellis Red
    Creed Aventus = Vision by Jaguar (so I have heard - I have never tried anything by Jaguar)
    Creed Original Cologne = Burberry Weekend (a little bit of a stretch, but I think they do have some similarities at least for the 20 minutes Weekend lasts)
    Bond No. 9 Montauk = Kenneth Cole Black

I dont get the comparisons: Tobacco Vanille = Eau des Baux, SpiceBomb
    Woah woah woah--Creed OV=Mugler Cologne? I don't think so. Mugler Cologne is, in my opinion, far superior.