Code of Conduct

Default Is it okay to purchase a discontinued fragrance? (Thierry Mugler's B*Men)

Hi, BNers.....I want to buy a fragrance (thierry mugler's B*Men, introduced in 2004) from a boutique around my neighbourhood. I sampled it sometime back n i really liked it,but i couldnt find it until recently. I found out here on BN that this fragrance has been DISCONTINUED (i don't know when this was discontinued), and I was wondering if I should still go ahead and purchase it. would u guys buy a discontinued fragrance? how can you tell if a fragrance is old (as in manufactured a while back)...especially if you don't know how it's supposed to smell like, is there a way to tell..? thank u all.

Default Re: Is it okay to purchase a discontinued fragrance? (Thierry Mugler's B*Men)

Hi and welcome!

You should be fine.

I didn't know that B*Men had been discontinued, but if it was, it must have been recently, so the bottle you saw in the shop won't be very old. A bottle stored in its box will keep fresh for years. I would be more wary if we talked about a bottle 40-50 years old.

Lots of us buy discontinued fragrances, sometimes you end up buying a bottle where the juice is slightly off, other times it's completely ruined, that's the "thrill and danger" of loving vintage perfumes But now I'm talking about fragrances significantly older than B*MEN.

There is no easy way to find out when the bottle was manufactured. The box and/or bottle will have a batch code, usually unintelligible to anyone outside of the factory, but if you manage to crack it you will at least know the year when it was made. On some products you can use this nifty date-calculator, but I don't think it will work with Mugler: http://cosmeticswizard.net/index.html

Still, the odds are in you favour, I think you should get it.

Default Re: Is it okay to purchase a discontinued fragrance? (Thierry Mugler's B*Men)

If it's stored in good conditions i see no problems. I like discontinued bottles.

Shouldn't be an issue. As long as it's authentic, stored well, you're fine. A few of my nicer scents were discontinued years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by justiceanthony View Post
    Hi, BNers.....I want to buy a fragrance (thierry mugler's B*Men, introduced in 2004) from a boutique around my neighbourhood. I sampled it sometime back n i really liked it,but i couldnt find it until recently. I found out here on BN that this fragrance has been DISCONTINUED (i don't know when this was discontinued), and I was wondering if I should still go ahead and purchase it. would u guys buy a discontinued fragrance? how can you tell if a fragrance is old (as in manufactured a while back)...especially if you don't know how it's supposed to smell like, is there a way to tell..? thank u all.
    thanks, ur advice was really needed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alvus View Post
    If it's stored in good conditions i see no problems. I like discontinued bottles.
    Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Shouldn't be an issue. As long as it's authentic, stored well, you're fine. A few of my nicer scents were discontinued years ago.
    Thank you

Basenotes Plus

welcome! Yes, definately.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

If the price is right, IMO yes.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    If the price is right, IMO yes.
    $50 for a 100ml..... That's how much it's going for . I'm in Ghana and everything is so expensive here.

Yes its definitely ok to buy a discontinued perfume.

Now how to tell if its ok. Well that will be slightly difficult but if its off, it'll smell off. It will be very chemical'ish.

$50 for that perfume sounds about right.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Yes its definitely ok to buy a discontinued perfume.

Now how to tell if its ok. Well that will be slightly difficult but if its off, it'll smell off. It will be very chemical'ish.

$50 for that perfume sounds about right.
    I'm picking it up today....thanks for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Hi and welcome!

You should be fine.

I didn't know that B*Men had been discontinued, but if it was, it must have been recently, so the bottle you saw in the shop won't be very old. A bottle stored in its box will keep fresh for years. I would be more wary if we talked about a bottle 40-50 years old.

Lots of us buy discontinued fragrances, sometimes you end up buying a bottle where the juice is slightly off, other times it's completely ruined, that's the "thrill and danger" of loving vintage perfumes But now I'm talking about fragrances significantly older than B*MEN.

There is no easy way to find out when the bottle was manufactured. The box and/or bottle will have a batch code, usually unintelligible to anyone outside of the factory, but if you manage to crack it you will at least know the year when it was made. On some products you can use this nifty date-calculator, but I don't think it will work with Mugler: http://cosmeticswizard.net/index.html

Thanks so much for the advice.... I'm picking it up today. Much appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Hi and welcome!

You should be fine.

Thanks so much for the advice.... I'm picking it up today. Much appreciated

Some of us make a habit of it - they don't make 'em like they used to

Banned

Enjoy your B*Men!

&

Even if my reply is belated, enjoy it, along with my further confirmation that in good storing conditions, the shelf life is a long and peaceful one.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Some of us make a habit of it - they don't make 'em like they used to
    I guess ur right....i got it and I'm loving it

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=dollars&scents;2652362]Enjoy your B*Men!
    thanks....really diggin that juice

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Even if my reply is belated, enjoy it, along with my further confirmation that in good storing conditions, the shelf life is a long and peaceful one.
    Thanks ur right..