Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Monsieur Balmain

Just found a great deal on this one and was wondering if this is as good as the new one or is it better. Couldn't find many infos on this one but I can see it has 6 positive reviews.How does it smell and how does it compare to the new one and with Eau Sauvage ?

Default Re: Vintage Monsieur Balmain

Only have the original one so can't comment on what's out there now. Can't imagine it has changed much and my guess it still is pretty good.

I have two bottles of MB in current collection. One is from the 1990s, the other from about 2008 or so. The older one is a bit more lasting and has a stronger sandalwood in the drydown. Both versions have that blast of lemon / lemon verbena which is the main characteristic of this scent. That the newer one has a thinner sandalwood note is understandable, given the shortage of the raw materials now. Buy it, it's so reasonable - you can practically bathe in it and offend no one. Speaking of bathing, if you can get the shower gel, by all means buy that too.

Thank you !
    Does your old bottle looks like this ?

What about longevity and sillage ?

My bottle looks like this:

The latest bottle is like this:

..which it what Selfridges are selling now. But I read on the mimifroufrou blog there has been no reformulation.

Alain - I think you have a truly vintage bottle there!

My new bottle looks like the one in Marais' first photo.

My older bottle is similar but the cap, color of glass is and lettering on the box is very slightly different.

The newest new bottle (the second one in Marais' post) looks like it got produced after the recent(ish) launch of Carbone by Balmain.

I have the recent tall frosted bottle and love the stuff. I wonder if the topnotes, which is a lot of what Balmain, is would have degraded? I never seem to recognize the base as sandalwood, to me it smells more like vetiver.

Basenotes Plus

I concur with Puig's statement and I, too, have the recent tall, frosted bottle. It is a wonderful Aromatic Citrus scent with incredible depth of lemon (fresh-squeezed juice and the rind) plus the herbal tinge of lemon verbena along with a touch of mint and ginger on top. I, too, have found a clean vetiver to be more predominant than sandalwood, although it is a listed note. Regardless, the clary sage, thyme, rosemary and light moss come together to form a nice greenness in the heart and base with the light wood. Exceptional juice in the tall, cylindrical frosted bottle.

Cheers.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Puig View Post
    I have the recent tall frosted bottle and love the stuff. I wonder if the topnotes, which is a lot of what Balmain, is would have degraded? I never seem to recognize the base as sandalwood, to me it smells more like vetiver.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Didn't even know there was a square bottle of this out.