Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lavender scent

Default Lavender scent

I wash my clothes with a scented lavender soap, so I would like to emphasize with a good lavender cologne. Any Suggestions

Default Re: Lavender scent

A good inexpensive one IMO is Fragonard Lavande.

Though not for my taste, Caron pour un Homme.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Caldey Island Lavender
    C&S Oxford & Cambridge

i live in the dessert currently so if that helps i dont want a heavy cloying scent

Pour un Homme de Caron might work for you. It didn't work for me, now I have to sell my used bottle.

Tom Ford Lavender Palm?
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Nice, I was looking for something with lavender too, but something widely available (possible designer).
    My current top 3:
    1. Fahrenheit - Christian Dior
    2. ROMA Uomo - Laura Biagiotti
    3. Polo Blue - Ralph Lauren

I don't know the scent personally but have heard that Etat Libre d'Oranges Antiheros is a nice lavender.

There's also Guerlain Jicky, I guess this can be found online.

Platinum Egoiste.

everytime i look for jicky it says its for women. Is this the Jicky That Sean Connery Wore, or is there a for men version. just curious if there are two versions

to me Jicky is pretty universal scent

Lavender et Encens
    Fourreau Noir

Somewhat difficult to procure but well worth the effort.

for swap/sale:

Caron - Pour Un Homme / Impact
    SL - Gris Clair
    Puig - Agua Lavanda

Drakkar Noir

Nicolaï Pour Homme by Parfums de Nicolaï

Basenotes Member The New York Perfumista's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    Tom Ford Lavender Palm?
    I agree. I hear it is the most popular Tom Ford fragrance in California. Beautiful lavender scent.
    My current Scent Addiction: Heeley Bubblegum Chic
    Twitter: @theNYperfumista

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

+2 Lavendar Palm by TF.

if you like it extremely soapy you might want to check Antiheros. Otherwise Jicky and Mouchoir De Monsieur for a classic french take, Gris Clair as the most original, Fourreau Noir as one of the most complex.

Simple and high quality: Yardley Lavender (Vintage)

Other classics: Caron Pour Un Homme (vanilla/lavender), Ungaro II (vanilla/lavender/civet)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Mouchoir de Monsieur complements lavender soap very well.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Another vote for Yardley Lavender

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    C&S Oxford & Cambridge
    yes... Oxford & Cambridge if you prefer somehow a "fresh" note
    Antiheros from ELdO if you prefer a linear lavender note

Caron puh and kilian's a taste of heaven

+1 Czech & Speake - Oxford & Cambridge

-1000 Tom Ford Lavender Palm. Dreadful quality and one of the most horrific Lavender notes out there.

Taste of Heaven by Kilian

Caron's Pour Un Homme.....Gary

My favorite lavender, by far, is SL Gris Clair... I also like C&S Oxford and Cambridge most of the time. I've never liked Caron PH. All that lavender and vanilla together just puts me off.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by SpicyPepper View Post
    everytime i look for jicky it says its for women. Is this the Jicky That Sean Connery Wore, or is there a for men version. just curious if there are two versions
    Jicky is unisex. There are a lot of concentrations though. Currently in production are the EdT, EdP, and parfum, and in vintage there are also the EdC and PdT.

what is the concentration i should look for keep in mind i live in the dessert and a heavy cloying cologne will not work well

Sound Scents

I am not a lavender fan at all, but one scent featuring it that I can't help but love is the long since discontinued and quite dear Patou pour Homme Privé. That one is worth seeking out.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Lavander Palm and Yardley's English Lavender.

I like the mint and lavender in JPG's Le Male.

Nobile 1942 - Lavanda Nobile

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Girl View Post
    Taste of Heaven by Kilian
    Wore this today. Fantastic lavender. I also like O&C and Gris Clair although GC tends to get a bit sweet for me.

looks like a purchase of caron ph might be in order. Would this work for dry heat ?

Caron Pour Un Homme Impact.. strongly recommended.
    Check out my new blog http://www.NotableScents.net

Basenotes Institution

what is the concentration i should look for keep in mind i live in the dessert and a heavy cloying cologne will not work well
    Jicky is a scent that you should NOT buy without smelling it first. I enjoy the vintage Eau de Cologne, the Parfum de Toilette (sort of an EdP) and the parfum. The EdT is very powdery, too powdery for me to enjoy.

I love lavender, it is one of my favorite notes in perfumery and when I go thru one bottle I always am looking for a new one. Therefore, it's hard for me to recommend just a few, since I want to tell you to try all of them, which of course is contrary to what you're asking. Therefore, I would recommend these three:

Lavender Water by Caldey Island
    Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake
    Lavanda Tonica by Acqua di Parma (officially discontinued, but you can still find it online)
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I wore lavender palm today and to me, there is an off-putting cumin note in the base and for tHis reason I don't like it.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

The only lavender scent that will perform beautifully without fail (and I know and have worn about 95% of every single scent mentioned above) is:

PUIG AGUA LAVANDA

Most of the suggestions above would render very sweet, overly persistent and cloying in heat, and anything with lavender absolute would be "inconvenient" in heat (Caron Pour un Homme Kilian A Taste of Heaven Oxford&Cambridge Lavender Palm) Jicky Eau de Toilette might skew "unfresh," and is terribly expensive for what you get in its current formulation. Agua Lavanda is the best, most perfectly balanced lavender scent I have ever used. It's impeccable on every level--and it costs about $20.00US for 500ml !!!!! (it gets better: Agua Lavanda is a very effective insect repellent as well!)
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    The only lavender scent that will perform beautifully without fail (and I know and have worn about 95% of every single scent mentioned above) is:

PUIG AGUA LAVANDA

Most of the suggestions above would render very sweet, overly persistent and cloying in heat, and anything with lavender absolute would be "inconvenient" in heat (Caron Pour un Homme Kilian A Taste of Heaven Oxford&Cambridge Lavender Palm) Jicky Eau de Toilette might skew "unfresh," and is terribly expensive for what you get in its current formulation. Agua Lavanda is the best, most perfectly balanced lavender scent I have ever used. It's impeccable on every level--and it costs about $20.00US for 500ml !!!!! (it gets better: Agua Lavanda is a very effective insect repellent as well!)
    Damn right. If you want lavender, you can't beat this. Even better - I got my 750ml plastic bottle for $10.50! That's got to be the best deal going in perfumedom.

http://www.parfum1.com/agua-lavanda-...sp?itm=AGULC25

It's a squeeze bottle - just squirt to fill up a nice atomizer and use it for everything. I use it instead of rubbing alcohol, as hand sanitizer, linen spray, spray it on the kids when they stink, ...

I wonder if you could gargle with it.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My favorite lavender is Gris Clair. This one is a must try!
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

I tried that. It tasted....unpleasant, but produced an amazing result experienced from the outside looking, or smelling, as it were, in. (I actually got a "breath compliment.") It was standard practice to use these types of "eaux" as breath fresheners in the XVIIIe & IXXe Centuries. That was then......this, though, is now. I'll stick with Listerine Zero Cool Mint. What I want to know is why Rube *always* gets the best deals, and I don't. Another use for Agua Lavanda is as a disinfectant on small cuts and scrapes. It truly is a miraculous product. Everyone should own that 750ml plastic "family size" squirt bottle: It's uses are endless, and it performs flawlessly in one way or another: I know someone who uses it as a scalp and hair cleanser. *NOTHING* compares with it, and it's not just about the price: For those of you who wonder, in use, it never even begins to suggest "Cheap."

Guerlainista

What I want to know is why Rube *always* gets the best deals, and I don't.
    It's because I put more effort into be a cheap bastard. It's not easy - I just make it look that way.

For those of you who wonder, in use, it never even begins to suggest "Cheap."
    Absolutely. This stuff is just a beautiful, natural-smelling lavender. Anyone that likes the smell of lavender has no excuse not to have a big bottle of this stuff around. 750ml for less than the price of 1 ml of Jicky parfum!

I find Gris Clair and A Taste of Heaven to be very comforting and at the same time fairly fresh. These fragrances, to me, are amongst the most amazing fragrances I've ever smelled.
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    It's because I put more effort into be a cheap bastard. It's not easy - I just make it look that way.
    T'Aint Raht!

but how long does the scent last and is that the same one sinatra used

Guerlainista

T'Aint Raht!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, apparently Sinatra bathed in this stuff. It's by the Spanish perfumery Puig. They also make Quorum and a few other things, and they bought out Myrurgia who make Maja.

The Agua Lavanda soaps are great too, and really cheap at parfum1 as well. Not much more than Lever 2000 or whatever.

Not sure how long it lasts. I don't really wear it as a fragrance. I like the smell of lavender, but not really on me so much. I like fougeres, but not lavender soliflores so much for some reason.
    Last edited by rubegon; 7th August 2012 at 05:08 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Oddly, I have never smelled the Puig. I have to get some soon.

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Alvus View Post
    Lavander Palm and Yardley's English Lavender.
    I'm wearing a sample of Tom Ford Lavender Palm today. Smells really nice.

I have Yardley's London English Lavender bar soap but I didn't know they made a cologne until your post. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Another vote for Yardley Lavender
    I'm curious, is this popular in Romania?

I sprayed on a sample of Lorenzo Villoresi Wild Lavender earlier today and I've always thought it was just too much lavender and not much else for me, but now I'm getting some serious muskiness in the drydown that is very nice indeed. I'm a bit taken aback because even LV's Musk isn't particularly musky.

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    The Agua Lavanda soaps are great too, and really cheap at parfum1 as well. Not much more than Lever 2000 or whatever.
    For some reason I don't get along well with these soaps. I LOVE Agua Lavanda, but the soaps don't smell as natural and fresh to me. More of that synthetic/sport vibe for some reason.
    I wish I did like them though - I think Puig outta expand the whole AL line!

- - - Updated - - -

The stuff in the glass bottles lasts longer on me (about 6-8 hours) than the stuff in the plastic bottles (3-4 hours). Smells the same, just a slightly stronger concentration in the glass...

Lavender scents don't last very long, lavender is very volitale, I've tried loads of them, believe me. If you live in the desert I'd steer clear of Jicky, it's vanilla/civet heavy, the lavender disappears in minutes, I would never blind buy it. Gris Clair might work, but it's got lots of smoke and iris. If you just like pure lavender stick the the cheaper stuff as the lavender won't last no matter how much you pay for it. Puig, Yardley, some of the English shaving houses, like Taylor's etc.. Atkinson's lavender is very nice, that might be the best for your situation, pretty straight up mossy lavender which doesn't break the bank.

Interestingly, I have the same opinion of the Puig Lavender soap: I don't like it at all. It reminds me of dog soap. Mind you, there is no such thing as a more dismissive soap snob as yours truly. It has nothing to do with price as I love yardley english lavender soap, and even prefer the cheap american version to the more luxuriously boxed and presented British original. (Best Lavender Soap Award: Rance "Lavande"--the giant white oval bars--hands down--there simply is no better lavender soap. Second place: Caswell Massey lavender. Caswell Massey is the quintessential, definitive soap. I have tried every luxury soap--including the Sisley $120.00US bar--(I still marvel that there is a bar of soap that costs $120.00US--and that--somehow--I bought it) The reason Caswell Massey gets second place is that Rance's scent has a finesse to it that is so delicate and exquisite that it just makes everything else smell vulgar.) For usage of Puig Agua Lavanda, the green glass bottled one and the (mostly sold in europe) plastic bottled version seem to me to be identical: Puig sells the pretty green glass version to niche purveyors like Barney's & Co, while it drenches the real world in splendor with that 750ml bad boy: You can buy it in any pharmacy in Western Europe and even in places like Carrefour. I find that the best way to use this is to cut a tiny hole in the plastic cap, then literally DRENCH yourself in it: Rub it all over your body. It is extremely refreshing and is not irritating. You smell delicious for a few hours, after which you might "touch up" with the same decanted into an atomizer. It's near impossible to over apply this. Honestly, it just touches perfection in a way no other lavender soliflore ever has for me--and I LOVE lavender. All the other comps above will be too heavy for desert heat. This, Agua Lavanda, is what you want. Lavender lovers--it makes a SUPERB pillow for every single comp mentioned above. I use it with Jicky, Mouchoir de Monsieur, and vintage Monsieur de Givenchy. This magical potion just leaves everything in its dust. It's perfect. Impossible not to like. Mosquitos will hate you. Everyone else will love you. Guaranteed.

On the subject of the fugacious nature of lavender, it is true. However--Lavender Absolute--which is what is in Caron Pour un Homme and A taste of heaven, is different, and is the only lavender that will last well into the base of any fragrance of which it is a component. Lavender Absolute and Lavender are very different scents: I, for example, LOVE lavender. On the other hand, I detest lavender absolute: It's that sweet, sweet lavender--it's also in Gris Clair--that, for me, lasts too long, and gets unnerving after awhile. Personally, I like my lavender light, and dry.
    Last edited by le mouchoir de monsieur; 8th August 2012 at 02:42 AM.

if it helps the soap uses the herbal lavender

I agree the Agua Lavanda soap smells nothing like Agua Lavanda, or lavender for that matter. Puig is wonderful stuff. You can normally pick up the glass bottle version at www.tienda.com but it's out of stock now, but they do have the big plastic version for $13, a steal. Drown in it...

L'Occitane Eau Des L'Occitan.

Fantastic fragrance, at a fantastic price.

Basenotes Institution

... (Best Lavender Soap Award: Rance "Lavande"--the giant white oval bars--hands down--there simply is no better lavender soap. Second place: Caswell Massey lavender. Caswell Massey is the quintessential, definitive soap. I have tried every luxury soap--including the Sisley $120.00US bar--(I still marvel that there is a bar of soap that costs $120.00US--and that--somehow--I bought it) The reason Caswell Massey gets second place is that Rance's scent has a finesse to it that is so delicate and exquisite that it just makes everything else smell vulgar.) ...
    Are these the Rance you're speaking of lmdm?

-- Jack Kerouac

I noted that Art of Shaving has added lavender to their offerings, including an edt. I love their sandalwood. Has anyone tried the Lavender?

Quote Originally Posted by >BOOMER< View Post
    L'Occitane Eau Des L'Occitan.

Fantastic fragrance, at a fantastic price.
    Great recommendation, although it is quite peppery (which is fine with me). I'll echo recommendations for Caron PH, Agua Lavanda, and add my favorite lavender, Histories de Parfums 1725.

Thumbs up Re: Lavender scent

Quote Originally Posted by djron91 View Post
    Caron Pour Un Homme Impact.. strongly recommended.
    Absolutely
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes