Code of Conduct

Default By Kilian - Wow i think Im in love

I just received the entire By Kilian sample package. Ive only tested 5 or 6 so far, and i am very impressed. This is what i expected Niche to smell like before i tried Niche. This is the only house ive wanted to buy a bottle of every sample i smelled, and i still have more than half to try. I havent even smelled Back to Black yet. Every scent is a masterpiece within itself. Very artsy and extremely high quality juice. I know all of the fragrances are unisex, and i prefer more masculine scents, but that doesnt even matter. This is the best niche house ive sampled from so far, hands down. Thank you By Kilian! I will definitely dish out $400 for a bottle, just have to decide which one bc i definitely cant afford more than one.

Default Re: By Kilian - Wow i think Im in love

I am currently testing Incense Oud. I can't decide between it and Amouage JXXV. I like both but for an incense, I'm leaning towards the JXXV as I like the fruit note in it and it a wonderful pairing. I'm so use to smelling Oud with rose and that is a wonderful pairing as well. Incense Oud is definitely worth the try and it may grow more on me yet.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

The Kilian line is fantastic. You might want to update this thread after you smell Back To Black. It's unbelievable.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I'm going to purchase their sample pack also. I have heard so many positive things about By Killian. I do not purchase many niche fragrances because for the most part, I am never really impressed by them. But I will have to take a sniff at this line.

by Kilian is incredible. However, I am not a fan of the Asian Tales line that has been released so far though (Bamboo Harmony & Water Calligraphy). I hope their future releases are better.

Also, if you get the 50ml refill bottles, they are much more affordable.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    by Kilian is incredible. However, I am not a fan of the Asian Tales line that has been released so far though (Bamboo Harmony & Water Calligraphy). I hope their future releases are better.

Also, if you get the 50ml refill bottles, they are much more affordable.
    i know, but the black bottle in the display case is just so sexy lol

Quote Originally Posted by >BOOMER< View Post
    The Kilian line is fantastic.
    Agree.

Was very tempted to order the discovery set today. Seems like very good value for a total of 75ml of high quality juice.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

If anyones interested, i bought mine on ebay. 14 samples 2 mL each for only $60. Thats about 30 mL of the finest juice for only 60 bucks. Definitely worth it.

I've fallen out with you fragnifiscent. Your praise for this has made me do what I've been wanting to do for a while! Discovery set ordered from the By Kilian website!
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

I briefly tested Bamboo Harmony. It like a sap/ink smell that quickly dissipates. I was quite let down with this one.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by fragnifiscent View Post
    i know, but the black bottle in the display case is just so sexy lol
    For sure. Other fragrances may have more ornate or elaborate bottles, but this bottle and lock box is tops in my book.
    Seasonal favorites:

2. Creed - Aventus
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio

A beacon in niche perfumery.
    I may not like everything but i do see the majority in terms of quality, blend and uniqueness.

I don't suppose they sent you Extreme Oud and Black Oud.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I briefly tested Bamboo Harmony. It like a sap/ink smell that quickly dissipates. I was quite let down with this one.
    + 1
    Seasonal favorites:

2. Creed - Aventus
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    I've fallen out with you fragnifiscent. Your praise for this has made me do what I've been wanting to do for a while! Discovery set ordered from the By Kilian website!
    Nice! Tell us your thoughts when you sniff them out. Does the discovery set come with all of the fragrances?

there are the refil bottles!

This may have been asked before, but what By Kilian is best for Summer use? I have Back to Black and Cruel Temptation, but neither seemd good for Summer to me.

Did you mean Cruel Intentions?

Sweet Temptation works ok in the warm weather -- but it is very sweet, so you may want to try it out first. I think Straight to Heaven is good for the warm weather, but some may find the rum a bit too much in the heat... I love it regardless of the weather. Liaisons Dangereuses works pretty well in the summer also.

While called "unisex" (aren't they all these days?), I find Prelude to Love and Love and Tears a little to feminine for my taste, but those would be good for summer use...
    Seasonal favorites:

2. Creed - Aventus
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio

Yes. Sorry about that!

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Did you mean Cruel Intentions?

Sweet Temptation works ok in the warm weather -- but it is very sweet, so you may want to try it out first. I think Straight to Heaven is good for the warm weather, but some may find the rum a bit too much in the heat... I love it regardless of the weather. Liaisons Dangereuses works pretty well in the summer also.

While called "unisex" (aren't they all these days?), I find Prelude to Love and Love and Tears a little to feminine for my taste, but those would be good for summer use...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by >BOOMER< View Post
    The Kilian line is fantastic. You might want to update this thread after you smell Back To Black. It's unbelievable.
    Surely one of my faves, too!

You better save your first Back to Black experience, and savour it: You only get to smell B2B the first time once--and it's a bit like losing your virginity, or your first cigarette. Back to Black is unquestionably K.H.'s masterpiece: It is perfectly balanced and so sexy it borders on toxicity--it can unleash all kinds of daemons. I have worn it in both summer and winter and it never fails to enchant. One of the things I admire about B2B is that it operates in absence of that sweet, sweet orange blossom "noyade" that Killian favours in so many of his comps. The "Travel Set" is the best deal: You get a superb vapo, and four refills, for a total of 30ml (1oz) for $125.00US. Considering that K.H.'s scents are true perfumes and not "parfums" or PdT's (even though they are labeled as such their strength is that of an "extrait de parfum" or "essence de parfum" at 80% matter and 20% alcohol) they are actually very reasonably priced. The refills are a steal.
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    You better save your first Back to Black experience, and savour it: You only get to smell B2B the first time once--and it's a bit like losing your virginity, or your first cigarette. Back to Black is unquestionably K.H.'s masterpiece: It is perfectly balanced and so sexy it borders on toxicity--it can unleash all kinds of daemons. I have worn it in both summer and winter and it never fails to enchant. One of the things I admire about B2B is that it operates in absence of that sweet, sweet orange blossom "noyade" that Killian favours in so many of his comps. The "Travel Set" is the best deal: You get a superb vapo, and four refills, for a total of 30ml (1oz) for $125.00US. Considering that K.H.'s scents are true perfumes and not "parfums" or PdT's (even though they are labeled as such their strength is that of an "extrait de parfum" or "essence de parfum" at 80% matter and 20% alcohol) they are actually very reasonably priced. The refills are a steal.
    Where can we find these travel sets?

Basenotes Plus

Actually the best deal is to get the travel set refill. You get 30 ml for $75.00. A decent atomizer will cost you $3.00 - $5.00.

For $125.00, better off doing the 50 ml refill, not the travel set.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alvus View Post
    Where can we find these travel sets?
    Where are you located?

I have boxes of atomizers of all kinds--new--never filled--antique--With Kilian you don't get "just any" atomizer--you get something very singular--designed to last forever and which truly is a work of art. I would pay $125.00 just for the atomizer alone, empty: It's just that fine. When you consider creed sells leather covered atomizers empty for $140.00, that are made of cheap plastic coated in chrome that leak, ruining the leather, and, after the leather deteriorates all over everything (the coloured ones stain your hand, leave rings on your dressing table) the metallic coating begins to peel off. With Kilian, you *need* something exceptional to house the juice--the 50ml refills are a good deal in the long run--one might even use them to refill the travel atomizer--which holds only 7ml, 1/4 ounce. In the US, I have seen them mostly at Saks. You get a printed note from K.H. with each presentation that explains that every bottle is designed to last forever and *never* be thrown away. I don't think i've ever seen such a lovely presentation in the modern age. I bought an embarrassing number to B2B candles--unfortunately, though, I find they are not as effective as Rigaud--and they are the same price--Rigaud's "Bois Precieux" (the brown one) is probably the most effective scented candle in the world. The other scents in Kilian candles are better, notably in the "Oud" line: They are either discontinued or very hard to find: I bout one "incense oud" candle ages ago and have never again found one since.

You better save your first Back to Black experience, and savour it: You only get to smell B2B the first time once--and it's a bit like losing your virginity, or your first cigarette. Back to Black is unquestionably K.H.'s masterpiece: It is perfectly balanced and so sexy it borders on toxicity--it can unleash all kinds of daemons. I have worn it in both summer and winter and it never fails to enchant. One of the things I admire about B2B is that it operates in absence of that sweet, sweet orange blossom "noyade" that Killian favours in so many of his comps.
    Man, I'd luv if that was the experience I had with it. As much as I search B2B, I always come up with baby powder. And that's it. If you think that's crazy, I'm gonna keep trying the same thing and hope for different results, lolz.

"Rigaud".....are they even still in business? I NEVER see their product line anywhere!...... Rigaud's Cythere fragrance is one of my all time favorite home scents!!!! As far as By Kilian goes, IMO the product line is unsurpassed in luxury perfume....the bottles are beautiful, the juice is supreme quality and the packaging is first class.... Their A Taste of Heaven, Back to Black, Beyond Love and Liaisons Dangereuses fragrances are in a class by themselves..... I love LD but find it just a little too feminine for myself.... ATOH is certainly in my top 5 and ALWAYS will be! As has been pointed out, the refillable travel atomizer is the star and "bargain" of the line....an absolute exquisite piece of art add the juice and it is a must-have!
    Last edited by TWB; 6th August 2012 at 06:03 AM.

I'm also a fan of this line. While the price is certainly high, I'm grateful they offer the refill bottles for less. Too bad more companies don't do that.

The bottle with box and key is quite a sight to behold, although for my tastes it's perhaps too much. I prefer the travel atomizers, I think.

I started my journey into niche in a Saks Fifth with my brother. We first tried some Tom Fords and thought "Wow, these are really nice..." Then we moved over to the Kilians and were blown away. Back to Black and Liaisons Dangereuses were just so beautiful and unlike anything we had tried up to that point.

I don't feel quite as strongly now as I felt then, but the quality is still high, and I really enjoy a few of their scents.

Fragnifiscent, please share with us your thoughts on these as you try them out, if you have time. It's always interesting to read the thoughts of someone as they sample an entire house.

Quote Originally Posted by fragnifiscent View Post
    Nice! Tell us your thoughts when you sniff them out. Does the discovery set come with all of the fragrances?
    Will do; it comes with 7.5ml sprays of the ten fragrances from Prelude to Love - Sweet Redemption. I'll be honest, this actually seems more economical for me; I have the 50ml Back to Black (in the box etc) which I like a lot and Straight to Heaven on the way in a 30ml Travel Spray. I don't think I will actually use any more than 7.5ml of either of those fragrances, given the size of my collection, so it does strike me as more sensible to experience the scents this way.

Kilian is a great line: I do plan on owning Rose Oud and Love & Tears some day, and have enjoyed Back To Black and Beyond Love a good deal.

It's funny that Tom Ford and Kilian Hennesey get mentioned in the same phrase. There are things that surpass me in the industry, one of them being Tom Ford who calls these hippie oils mixed with vodka he puts in brown glass bottles perfumes and waxes on about them--selling then at an exorbitant price and calling them "exclusive" etc when they're all just copies of things that already have been made, usually are no longer marketed, or are so obscure nobody would know. (Example: the famous "Lavender Palm" is nothing but a copy of Czech & Speake's "Oxford&Cambridge," point for point, and there are others) On the subject of Rigaud, they are alive and well and doing better than they ever have: They had a major problem in the US market when one of their candles caused a fire in someone's home and they were pitilessly sued; in response they basically reduced their market share and all but pulled out of North America, though you might still find them here and there, it is nothing like the days when a store just wasn't fine a fine one unless it carried Rigaud. They now have at least twelve scents--"Bois Precieux" (brown) is magical--all Oud and Sandalwood and Cedar on a carnation pillow. You can easily get them online--just google Rigaud Candles. Bois Precieux is one of the harder scents to find: The penultimate "Cypres" green is still the easiest, with the red, which i believe is "Cythere" second in line. Concerning K.H., with B2B, it's true that if you don't like powder, it's hard to like this fragrance: For me it has all of my hot button components, notably that cherry tobacco accord that's in Habanita, the most beautifully conducted beeswax/honey symphony i've ever witnessed in perfumery, and of course, powder. My fragrances just must be dry. By my taste it is the only one in his range I would wear--I admire the rest--they are mostly too sweet for me, though. It's hilarious to see quality like this sold next to destroyed masterpieces like Guerlain, which are worth nothing at this point, all in plastic and cardboard, at basically the same price, and then see that K.H.'s comps are called expensive: When you consider a current formulation of a Classic Guerlain parfum costs $420.00 for 30ml and lasts about as long as their vintage EDC, K.H.'s products become very good values in comparison, as a single spray will endure all day, all evening, and mature into something delicious, whilst it takes a full body drenching of EdT and four applications of parfum over the course of the day to get anything comparable out of a classic Guerlain.

I have boxes of atomizers of all kinds--new--never filled--antique--With Kilian you don't get "just any" atomizer--you get something very singular--designed to last forever and which truly is a work of art. I would pay $125.00 just for the atomizer alone, empty: It's just that fine. When you consider creed sells leather covered atomizers empty for $140.00, that are made of cheap plastic coated in chrome that leak, ruining the leather, and, after the leather deteriorates all over everything (the coloured ones stain your hand, leave rings on your dressing table) the metallic coating begins to peel off. With Kilian, you *need* something exceptional to house the juice--the 50ml refills are a good deal in the long run--one might even use them to refill the travel atomizer--which holds only 7ml, 1/4 ounce. In the US, I have seen them mostly at Saks. You get a printed note from K.H. with each presentation that explains that every bottle is designed to last forever and *never* be thrown away. I don't think i've ever seen such a lovely presentation in the modern age. I bought an embarrassing number to B2B candles--unfortunately, though, I find they are not as effective as Rigaud--and they are the same price--Rigaud's "Bois Precieux" (the brown one) is probably the most effective scented candle in the world. The other scents in Kilian candles are better, notably in the "Oud" line: They are either discontinued or very hard to find: I bout one "incense oud" candle ages ago and have never again found one since.
    Thanks!

Once you try Back to Black you will immediately fall in love as this is one of my favorite fragrances.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    Once you try Back to Black you will immediately fall in love as this is one of my favorite fragrances.
    I bet I will. Back to black will be the last one I smell from kilian. I've saving the best for last.

...K.H.'s products become very good values in comparison, as a single spray will endure all day, all evening, and mature into something delicious, whilst it takes a full body drenching of EdT and four applications of parfum over the course of the day to get anything comparable out of a classic Guerlain.
    Unfortunately, that is also their downfall. I have owned several BKs and sold them all because the synthetics they use to increase longevity is overdone.

But I am more sensitive than most people I think... even so I agree BK is one of the best niche houses.

I also loved BtB, but about 1/2 the people who smell it can only perceive baby powder. I still love BtB and have 5 mL decant but I don't wear it outside of the house.

I love BtB also, and wear it often. I do get a great deal of baby powder from it, but other people only detect the pipe tobacco scent. Try before you buy...
    Seasonal favorites:

2. Creed - Aventus
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio

I've tried a few from this house and only really like Black to Black, but it is amazing! This thing lasts forever and projects forever on my skin.

Anyone know if the standalone Kilian travel atomizers come with an empty glass vial and spray, or are they just empty requiring the purchase of the small refill kilian bottles to function?

I'm still working through my 6 samples of By Kilian. The longevity of these things is insane. I sprayed a shirt twice with Cruel Intentions last week and I can still smell it on the shirt.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Robert G. View Post
    Anyone know if the standalone Kilian travel atomizers come with an empty glass vial and spray, or are they just empty requiring the purchase of the small refill kilian bottles to function?
    I would think it would have the .25-oz. glass container. If it doesn't, since you live in the states, PM me, and I can send you one of my empties.

I emailed Holt Renfrew (fancy Canadian department store) and they gave me 10 samples of the different scents for free. Neiman Marcus and Saks will probably do the same.
    A fellow fumehead