Code of Conduct

Default Desperate for help please!

I have visited Basenotes before as a guest and have read the comments from others which led me to buy Serge Lutens MKK - which my Mrs hates. What I am looking for is a very strong aftershave spray which has amazing longevity. I want a masculine smell which smells of earth and nutmeg. I anticipate some of the following ingredients to be in it:- twisting grapefruit, ozone, cedar, vetiver with amber for a distinctly masculine aroma. I want sophistication that you can not buy from the mass market stores - I pride myself on wearing something that most have not heard of - I like the exclusiveness which comes from wearing reputable fine fragrances. I would be much obliged for any help that you may be able to offer

Default Desperate for help please!

I have visited Basenotes before as a guest and have read the comments from others which led me to buy Serge Lutens MKK - which my Mrs hates. What I am looking for is a very strong aftershave spray which has amazing longevity. I want a masculine smell which smells of earth and nutmeg. I anticipate some of the following ingredients to be in it:- twisting grapefruit, ozone, cedar, vetiver with amber for a distinctly masculine aroma. I want sophistication that you can not buy from the mass market stores - I pride myself on wearing something that most have not heard of - I like the exclusiveness which comes from wearing reputable fine fragrances. I would be much obliged for any help that you may be able to offer

Default Re: Desperate for help please!

Ambre 114 by Histoire de Parfums might be what you are looking for.

Earth usually makes me think about patchouli; niche examples would be Patchouli Patch by l'Artisan parfumeur, patchouli leaves by Montale, or Borneo by Serge Lutens. But it doesn't then correspond to your following description of cedars etc. That description rather makes me think of Ormonde man by Ormonde Jayne, which smells a little bit like a forest (cedar especially). I actually prefer the woman one, because it doesn't have ozone, though if you want this note, it's in the masculine. Unfortunately, the Ormonde Jayne store is in London ...

cacio

Sartorial has a mineral-rich earth vibe to it.
    For nutmeg try Caravelle Epices.

for swap/sale:

+1 Caravelle Epicee by Frapin

Annick Goutal Nuit Etoilee

Blog Entries

Tiffany for Men is a classy fragrance of limited availability, which has a fine nutmeg note in the top, and was created by one of the world's most renowned perfumers (the one currently working for Chanel). Many if not all people around here respect it highly. You can get it from Tiffany - that's about it.

Vetiver GUERLAIN

"Earth" is subjective as a frag note. Cumming the Fragrance has the most "natural" dirt/earth note to me. And I'm not sure what the ozone thing is about, perhaps a top note? I can't imagine that quality lasting very long, but I'm not into the kinds of frags that list that as a not, generally-speaking. I suggest vintage Fendi Uomo.

What about Cacharel pour l'Homme? Nutmeg- yes, earthy? Nice clean scent. Don't know about availability where you are.
    La vita Ŕ breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned

Try:

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur - One is initially treated to a bittersweet blast from the stimulating melange of greenness spurred by ansinthe, with its dusty, dry, medicinal dimensions; angelica, with its heavy, sweet, musky attributes; star anise, with its smoky, rich, licorice character and black currant, with its strong, fruity bouquet tinged with a cat urine slant. Percolating with a faint backdrop of a coniferous forest, this somewhat brisk blend meanders to the inviting heart. Here, woody clove, spicy-sweet ginger, cinnamon-like nutmeg and a hint of lively pepper shower the green opening, and impart their warmth, while resourceful patchouli adds a warm earthiness with its slight nutty and musky overtures. The foresty background is still here, and carries this flavorful concoction to the awaiting base. Robust conifers take center stage with the fresh and slightly camphorous woodiness of pine needles and the balsamic, christmas tree aroma of firs. Cistus bestows its terpenic and pine-like facets and vague illusions of amber and leather. A faintly rugged and quintessentially outdoorsy drydown ensues. This all-season, masculine composition has good projection, a 12-inch, scent cloud, and very good longevity, 10 hours; and should be experienced, especially on cool evenings.

&

Zirh Ikon by Zirh - One is initially treated to a zesty lemonade. Tart and tangy lemon interplays with davona flower, with its sweetly fruity aspect, and cardamon, with its mildly spicy, anise-tinged facets. Ginger sprinkles the melange with its peppery, lemony and green character. Transitioning to the heart, the citric brew succumbs to the darker aspects of the scent. Labdanum infuses its resinous, myrhh-like and slightly leather-like facets, commingling with a raw, spicy cinnamon as well as clove buds, with their charred wood and smokey aroma. An undercurrent of a citrusy, pine-like frankincense and earthy, green vetiver adds to the mystical aura, and flows to the base. Here, a rich amber alters the accommodating frankincense, which has come into its own, to a darker character. And, an almost creamy cedarwood intermingles with a balsamic patchouli, which imparts its earthiness coupled with camphoraceous and mossy nuances. An inviting drydown ensues. This manly composition is well blended, and challenges the domain of niche. A fall and winter scent, this spicy and dark fragrance has good projection, a 2-3 hour, scent cloud, and longevity, about 8 hours. Given its inexpensive price, it is a welcomed addition to one's fragrance wardrobe.

Banned

And, lest I forget:

Dependent

Azzaro Visit

Don't be put off by the low price. It's quality and has the notes you speak of other than ozone. Very manly. I'm sure there's an aftershave version although longevity is a lot to as from an AS since one of their raisons d'etres is not to last too long.

Try Costume National Homme.

Originally posted by Cacio:

........."Unfortunately, the Ormonde Jayne store is in London ..."

Unfortunate for you maybe......but not for anyone living in or near London....
    Last edited by HDD8; 4th June 2012 at 04:59 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I agree, see below ↓↓↓:

CNH initially offers a tasty, spicy citrus, with a fantastic wood and tobacco, which is overlaid throughout its full development, and is carried to its resplendent spices, with cloves, cinnamon and thyme sharing the stage in the heart, thence enveloped by its somewhat powdery, savory incense base ... good sillage and longevity ...

Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums. Thought this thread sounded familiar.
    Last edited by hednic; 4th June 2012 at 10:17 AM.

Many thanks for your help it is much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Oh yes......one very nice - and somewhat rare - fragrance.

Try it out if you can.

I go with hedonist's suggestion to try Penhaligons Sartorial. You say "after shave" in your initial post here, and that one is bit traditional and modern at the same time. I don't know about nutmeg and earth, but Sartorial does have some ozone notes and is a good solid, long lasting manly scent.

Sartorial Notes
    Aldehydes, ozonic effect, metallic effect, violet leaf, neroli, cardamom, black pepper, fresh ginger, beeswax, cyclamen, linden blossom, lavender, leather, gurjum wood, patchouli, myrrh, cedar wood, tonka bean, oakmoss, white musk, honey effect, old wood effect, vanilla, amber

Banned

See my response to your duplicate thread and request in the Just Staring Out Forum http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...t=#post2583070

Many thanks for the help, it is much appreciated

Banned

Terre d'Hermes (but no amber).

I had a lot of replies for which I was very grateful. I decided to go with Ambre 114 and on ordering they allowed me 6 samples. looking forward to receiving them! Cheers!

Hi everyone I received my Ambre which is very pleasant. Within my testers was Tubereuse 3 animale and I have to say that will without a doubt be one of my next purchases!

I love Tub 3 la animale too. But if the Mrs dislikes MKK, she's certainly going to object to tub 3.

cacio

Not niche but good, Kenzo Pour Homme.