Code of Conduct

Default Vetiver Fatal (Atelier Cologne)

I stopped by the boutique last week, and they had two new scents, Vetiver Fatal and Rose Anonyme. They both contain an "oud accord," meaning they do not use oud oil but recreate the intense woodiness of oud from other ingredients. The rose/oud combination smelled very familiar in terms of composition; the vetiver/oud was a bit more striking. The most notable thing however was that these do not seem to use the same base as other in the AC line, and I mention this because almost without exception everything from Atelier Cologne dries down to something that smells very synthetic/chemically. I don't think it's that they use bad ingredeints; I think there is just something in their house base that strikes my nose as really off--kind of how I would imagine the smell of trying to iron a piece of wood. Thankfully, this note is either basent or hidden in these two scents.

Vetiver Fatal in particular really caught my fancy. The SA said they used a new extraction technique that had turned the industry on its head. I couldn't help but laugh a little. But I must say the vetiver is intense, deep, and very focused. It is stripped of all its rooty qualities and what remains are the grassier and aquatic qualities. The vetiver component in fact reminds me a lot of Sel de Vetiver (which used multiple extraction techniques, including a molecular distillation that isolated a single component of the vetiver). In the case of Vetiver Fatal, however, the vetiver is anchored to the intense autumnal woodiness of the "oud accord."

I wore it on my hand for a couple hours and found it to be very satisfying. I am a sucker for a vetiver with a lot of depth, and this one definitely has it to spare. The composition won't knock you off your feet for its originality (it's definitely in the same neighborhood as Sycomore), but it might outdo some of its predecessors on the basis of its quality materials. Other listed notes are bergamot, lemon, bigarade, orange blossom, violet leaves, black plum, and cedar.

Here's my stunning photo

Update: there is a big juicy blood orange note that lasts well through the first hour that I completely missed the first time I smelled this. It's funny how you can miss things when you're trying so hard to focus on one thing (in this case, the vetiver).

I was moved enough that I plan to head back there today for the small bottle.
    Last edited by Beranium Chotato; 7th August 2012 at 07:53 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Vetiver Fatal (Atelier Cologne)

I also stumbled onto this scent on the Luckyscent website last week and the first thing I wondered was why I hadn't heard any information on it here on Basenotes.

Sounds great. Sure wish it was cheaper though...

Would you compare it at all to the fantastic vetiver/oud combination in the BN9 Swarovski Oud that you and I love?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Would you compare it at all to the fantastic vetiver/oud combination in the BN9 Swarovski Oud that you and I love?
    That was my first thought too, but actually I got hardly any oud in either of these, so I found no relation between Vetiver Fatal and Harrods Oud.

What I was suprised by was the rich spice-rose accord in Rose Anonyme. Very deep and satisfying.

I need to try Vetiver Fatal on skin I think -- I didn't really "get" it on paper.

Basenotes Plus

So if you already have Sycamore, would you think it would be redundant to have Vetiver Fatal as well?

I also stumbled onto this scent on the Luckyscent website last week and the first thing I wondered was why I hadn't heard any information on it here on Basenotes.

Sounds great. Sure wish it was cheaper though...

VF is vetiver-dominant, even more so than Sycomore. It has very little in common with BN9HOSCLECS in which vetiver plays a very small supporting role. It also feels more "3d" than the BN9, which sits rather flatly on my skin (which is not a criticism--that's part of its charm). In comparison to Sycomore, which to my nose has a rather grand architecture, Vetiver Fatal is more simplistic/minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    So if you already have Sycamore, would you think it would be redundant to have Vetiver Fatal as well?
    I think it depends on how much you love vetiver. I find the vetiver of VF to be much better than Sycomore, but I think Sycomore is a more interesting composition. For a vetiver lover, I don't think it's redundant. If you're not a big fan, they might compete for the same place in a wardrobe.

hmmm...the Vetiver Fatal sounds excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    BN9HOSCLECS
    LOL

I guess I'm almost done with straight forward vetivers. There are botloads out there (tones of which are extremely high-quality stuff) now I'm antiously waiting for the next level...

I will surely give it a chance when I'll find it on a shelf but it really sounds like every niche firm now need a straight forward vetiver in their range...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Dependent

I didn't find Fatal reminded me of Sycomore at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    I didn't find Fatal reminded me of Sycomore at all.
    I have neither on hand to compare, so I'm not going off of much. I love vetiver, and it would not occur to me ever that one would be a substitute for the other. I was just thinking that if I weren't so into vetiver, I'm not sure I'd want two compositions pairing it with wood. They are very different, both in terms of the vetiver's character, their structure, and the accompanying wood.

The vetiver of Sycomore is thinner and more diaphanous. In VF, it's very meaty and three dimensional. I remember Sycomore having a dramatic structure: an abyss of smoke, a forest of blond wood, and vetiver in the ether above. VF is much swampier and earth-bound. And the wood note (or "oud accord" as they call it) is far darker and more intense than the light wood note of Sycomore.

Basenotes Plus

I think it depends on how much you love vetiver. I find the vetiver of VF to be much better than Sycomore, but I think Sycomore is a more interesting composition. For a vetiver lover, I don't think it's redundant. If you're not a big fan, they might compete for the same place in a wardrobe.
    I really like vetiver. Sounds like this needs to go on the try list.

- - - Updated - - -

Checked out Luckyscent. Couldn't seem to find it.

Both sound great and plan on adding these two to the rest of their line which I have in my collection. Thanks for this info.

The more the vetiver the merrier

for swap/sale:

i've read about this a couple of days ago on 'nowsmellthis' and i thought straight away "I HAVE TO get my hands on vetiver fatal', sounds so right up my alley.

http://www.nstperfume.com/2012/08/02...ew-fragrances/

Two comments.

1) I did something terrible.
    2) It's so funny how, when you're looking for one particular thing, you can miss something else entirely. Threre is a big, juicy bigarade in Vetiver Fatal that I totally missed the first time. It's the size of a small truck, and I completely missed it on first smell. So odd.

Here's the terrible thing:

Basenotes Institution

Two comments.

1) I did something terrible.
    Tsk, tsk.

...Checked out Luckyscent. Couldn't seem to find it.
    Here it is: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...ver_Fatal.html
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I need to sample this. Is it a fresh composition?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Is it a fresh composition?
    Well it was just released. For all we know it was composed in the 19th century

Basenotes Plus

Mike, thanks.

Brian, being a cologne. What is longevity and projection like?
    How many sprays do you spray?

I'm very interested but the cologne aspect is off putting. I have enough 'weak - need constant top ups' perfume bottles in my desk drawer at work.

for swap/sale:

The idea behind the Atelier Cologne line is that they take cologne-style scents and sell them in EDP concentration. Longevity and projection are not really an issue. It's a matter of whether you like these citrusy type compositions.

Just got the lucky scent email with this one, so the thread was good timing the VF sounds quite interesting
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

The idea behind the Atelier Cologne line is that they take cologne-style scents and sell them in EDP concentration. Longevity and projection are not really an issue. It's a matter of whether you like these citrusy type compositions.
    In my case, genre is not an issue. I am only adverse to intense white-flower based perfumes and A*Men. Everything else is fair game. I do like citrusy perfumes. And I am very fond of Vetiver.

I wish they'd reconsider their name. If its EDP concentration then calling yourself cologne, even to make a statement, is an of putting misnomer.

What's projection like?

Quote Originally Posted by Osi1s View Post
    Just got the lucky scent email with this one, so the thread was good timing the VF sounds quite interesting
    I think I'm going to pounce on it.

- - - Updated - - -

From Atelier a cologne:

What is a Cologne Absolue?

Three-hundred years ago, the original cologne was born from a blend of citrus oils of lemon, orange, tangerine, bergamot, lime, grapefruit and Néroli. It offered a revolutionary alternative to the heavy scents of the times and inspired a new way to wear personal fragrance. In modern times, fragrances are often categorized by both their scent construction (cologne, floral, chypre...) and the concentration of oils (cologne, perfume, eau de parfum...). The term cologne can apply to both the construction and the oil concentration. Sylvie and Christophe shared an inherent love for the citrusy cologne construction, but their focus became the creation of the ideal combination of oils for each scent that was both long-lasting and balanced. In turn their collection demanded a new classicfication of scent, the Cologne Absolue.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

I just pounced on the deal. Large bottle of Vetiver, free bottle of Rose. Free shipping as well. Couldn't say no to this deal.

Dependent

I just pounced on the deal. Large bottle of Vetiver, free bottle of Rose. Free shipping as well. Couldn't say no to this deal.
    wow that is a good deal

where from?

From Luckyscent, Its says in the newsletter:

Recieve a complimentary 30ml Atelier Cologne of your choice with any 200ml Atelier Cologne purchase. Please specify your preferred 30 scent at checkout.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    thank you!!

That is a great deal...but man 200ml is a lot...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    That is a great deal...but man 200ml is a lot...
    Sure is, but just think, years from now, you will have what will be considered the Vintage version, instead of the dreaded reformulated version.

Yes...but years from now I'll probably still have some of my 30ml left.

How does this compare to Guerlain Vetiver? That one does not work for me.

I just purchased this today. Instantly became once of my favorite scents.

Hmm would I like this if I liked Original Vetiver?

Any more reviews?

Vetver Fatal is a very fresh take on vetiver. The lemon keeps it fresh for a long while. Super easy to wear. Nothing award winning, but I do enjoy it.

I would have to agree with thebeck ^^^^^ .. It is indeed very easy to wear its fresh yet to me its slightly creamy. Very green but at the same time not grassy. It doesnt blow me away but but how many actually do? Vetiver fatal is just so pleasant the whole way through. im still experimenting with projection and longevity but this is the type of scent id wear around family or to the office for sure. I think its a bit grown up for a summery fragrance, some of my more favorite summery frags like VIW or L'Humaniste I would be hard pressed to wear to a meeting during the summer but this I think I would be confident to do so. Atelier is definitely a line to put your nose on. Give this one a try if you like vetiver it will certainly give you a different take on the note.
    "Stings the nostrils, in a good way. Im going to be honest with you, that smells like pure gasoline."

Current Top 5:
    5.) Santa Maria Novella Muschio
    4.) Dior Homme Intense ( Vintage )
    3.) Dior La Collection Privee Ambre Nuit
    2.) Creed Aventus
    1.) Xerjoff Ibitira

Dependent

Yes this is a pleasant, soft take on vetiver. I get a distinct apricot/osmanthus note -- it's quite subtly balanced. I can definitely see why it appeals to Brian.

Rose Anonyme has a very warm unisex ambery drydown. Comforting and rich, yet still light.

Its a fresh and smooth vetiver like Tom Ford grey vetiver or a raw, rooty and earthy like Encre Noire, Sycomore, Guerlain Vetiver, Annick Goutal Vetiver?

I dont like the second option that much but i love the first.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Brian, being a cologne. What is longevity and projection like?
    How many sprays do you spray?

I'm very interested but the cologne aspect is off putting. I have enough 'weak - need constant top ups' perfume bottles in my desk drawer at work.
    I dont know the new vetiver but I know 3 Atelier Cologne (own 2 bottles).
    They are cologne in style, not in strenght. They are a cologne, but concentrated as a Parfum (average at 20% I think).
    The confusion is that they renamed the concentration and invented a new name for it, called Cologne Absolut.
    They are very, i mean, VERY, powerful.
    8 sprays of Orange Sanguine gives me 12 hours of longevity with monster projection for about 3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post

Recieve a complimentary 30ml Atelier Cologne of your choice with any 200ml Atelier Cologne purchase. Please specify your preferred 30 scent at checkout.
    This deal still active?
    Could not find it anywhere
    Last edited by d4N13L; 15th August 2012 at 12:18 AM.

bleu autumn haze

I am testing Vetiver Fatale today and I'm quite taken by it. To me, it is very fresh and smooth ... it's hard to explain this freshness, it is "almost" minty, but not. I love the plum note, it adds freshness but it is very subtle and NOT dripping in fruitiness. There is just enough woodiness in the base to ground it. I agree it is very well balanced and pleasant.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

is this anything like Vettiveru by CDG ?

After getting some decants of these two I had to have fbs, thanks for mentioning Luckyscent special! I called them today and the buy one big bottle get another free 30 ml bottle is good until end of September! So big bottle of VF is on its way with a smaller RA with it, I am a happy camper

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I am testing Vetiver Fatale today and I'm quite taken by it. To me, it is very fresh and smooth ... it's hard to explain this freshness, it is "almost" minty, but not. I love the plum note, it adds freshness but it is very subtle and NOT dripping in fruitiness. There is just enough woodiness in the base to ground it. I agree it is very well balanced and pleasant.
    I agree about the balance. But it is on the brink of being too much fruit in the first half hour. I really thought it was going to cross the line, but just at the moment when you think the fruit is becoming too much, it recedes and lets the vetiver take over.

Sounds amazing, how its longevity and sillage compared to the others?

Also, how to get the deal (free 30ml) with luckyscent? Only by phone?

Huge orange note in the opening.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Huge orange note in the opening.
    Absolutely. I was a bit surprised since it was hardly mentioned here, almost hides the vetiver for me.

This is my first Atelier, anyone else extremely disappointed with the 30ml sprayer? (dunno about the bigger bottle's) It's just so underwhelming. I hate tiny sprayers.

Just when I think that I can't possibly squeeze in another vetiver into my collection sheesh.

Love this stuff, it reminds me of vetiver tonka, less smokey but with a definite fresh boost from the Atelier base and some oranges up front.

One of those all the time scents I can see this in winter or summer it's fresh and warm at the same time, yummy stuff.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Quote Originally Posted by Quiptos View Post
    Just when I think that I can't possibly squeeze in another vetiver into my collection sheesh.

Love this stuff, it reminds me of vetiver tonka, less smokey but with a definite fresh boost from the Atelier base and some oranges up front.

One of those all the time scents I can see this in winter or summer it's fresh and warm at the same time, yummy stuff.
    I concur with everything you said: It is tremendously cozy, with that plush orange note, but the vetiver, which would give it (IMO) a cold feeling, is a whisper in the background. I haven't reached its drydown yet, but I am immensely hooked.
    Am also liking Rose Anonyme, anyone else finds it a bit like a Red Aoud lite?
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

quite disappointed. Where is the vetiver note in VF? citrus, fresh, a little woody. Simple and nothing new about this vetiver scent. I prefer the Rose.

The vetiver is definitely there. I find this to be very nicely balanced. It's not going to rock the world or anything, but I do find myself reaching for it more often than I thought I would.

The vetiver is definitely there. I find this to be very nicely balanced. It's not going to rock the world or anything, but I do find myself reaching for it more often than I thought I would.
    You're right, in the drydown it definitely appears clearly. I am going to sell my Grey Vetiver and buy this one, as I find it much more lively.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    quite disappointed. Where is the vetiver note in VF? citrus, fresh, a little woody. Simple and nothing new about this vetiver scent. I prefer the Rose.
    Same here. It's OK but nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Same here
    And here.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    It's OK but nothing special.
    It isn't that special. It is cologne-like in the traditional sense of the word. For what it is, I find it quite satisfying. I would agree though that it's not remarkable perfumery.

I think it has taught me something about the role of the traditional Eau de Cologne. Mostly I put it on before bed. I find vetiver refreshing, and the bigarade is rounded and nice.

Basenotes Institution

I used up my sample of this very quickly. I too find it strikingly similar to Hermessence Vetiver Tonka but with that unique bright juicy orange top note. It's also not as syrupy-toothache-sweet as the Hermes, it's a bit dryer. I like it, but I don't find it unique enough to warrant owning.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I like it, but I don't find it unique enough to warrant owning.
    As bascially anything from this house so far, I'd say

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

It's ok, but not bottleworthy imo.. a wearable, fruity, young vetiver.

Basenotes Institution

Sampling this one a 2nd time today, I do not smell the oud, its one of those synthetic faint oud notes I suppose. I do smell a strong similarity to Hermessence Vetiver Tonka as I mentioned above.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sampling this one a 2nd time today, I do not smell the oud, its one of those synthetic faint oud notes I suppose. I do smell a strong similarity to Hermessence Vetiver Tonka as I mentioned above.
    Agreed. Got some very generous samples from the Hermes Houston boutique a couple of weeks ago.

Vetiver Tonka and Vetiver Fatale definitely have a passing resemblance, at the least.
    Last edited by JourneymanDave; 11th June 2014 at 08:59 PM.