Code of Conduct

Default Knize Ten is foul on me!!!

After very enthusiastic recommendations by several forum users, I decided to buy me a couple of samples of Knize Ten. I still haven't tried it on paper, but on my skin it smells like a car with cigar smoke (I know that smell: my dad used to smoke cigars in the car when I was little and that is exactly what I get with Knize Ten). I don't get any flowers or any other notes after a few minutes: just a car that stinks of cigar smell. After more than one hour of enduring that I had to wash it away. Does anyone else get this? Should I have waited longer?

PS. I enjoy some pretty strong perfumes, so it's not like my nose is hypersensitive to "strong/vile" smells: I like Rien, Duro, Antaeus... and stuff of the sort.

Default Re: Knize Ten is foul on me!!!

I hope you didn't get fake stuff because there is no tobacco or cigar smoke note in it. There is strong leather, which is of a worn variety, which dissipates after an hour or so. If it's not for you, so be it, but this is the kind of frag you need to sample a few times (over the course of perhaps a couple months) and with an open mind, in my experience.

"Car with cigar" is actually a good way to describe it. Knize Ten has definitely an automotive vibe; to me more like gasoline-car leather. Yes, there are flowers and ambers, but it is primarily, unashamedly, a butch leather. Take it or leave it.

The others you describe have other connotations. Rien is a potent and radiant (much more radiant than K10) leather, but it is not automotive, it's musky and animalic. Antaeus is not a leather, more an intense spicy-musky concoction.

I'm assuming you won't like stuff like Bulgari Black (pneumatics), Bandit (tannic leather), or Dior Leather oud (dark smoky leather).

cacio

Knize 10 Golden Edition IMO is the one ! You can start throwing tomatos at me but I own both and have had ample time with each one.

Orig - Less leather , More automotive , More powdery, Less floral

GE- More dry. More leather , More flowery, Less powdery

On another note Bal A Versailles is very Knize 10 'ish. I only sampled a little bit but the drydown had a lot in common with GE .
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 30th August 2012 at 11:45 AM.

Don't feel bad. I think it is one of the most overrated fragrances on here. Of course my perception of leather is skewed. I'm from Ft. Worth, Tx ( 23 years) and my idea of leather is cowhide. It has a distinctive sweet/rich pure leather smell that is a little animalistic. Knize 10 is very...Perfumey and headache inducing to me. I just found it unwearable for public consumption. Probably harsh but that is a random opinion.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Agree. Not a nice leather scent. Belongs back in the 1970s IMO.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

It's not for everyone; no perfume is. But I'd suggest that you keep the sample. Just put it away someplace because if you keep sampling and trying things and expanding your tastes, you may want to smell it again sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo86 View Post
    After very enthusiastic recommendations by several forum users, I decided to buy me a couple of samples of Knize Ten. I still haven't tried it on paper, but on my skin it smells like a car with cigar smoke (I know that smell: my dad used to smoke cigars in the car when I was little and that is exactly what I get with Knize Ten). I don't get any flowers or any other notes after a few minutes: just a car that stinks of cigar smell. After more than one hour of enduring that I had to wash it away. Does anyone else get this? Should I have waited longer?

PS. I enjoy some pretty strong perfumes, so it's not like my nose is hypersensitive to "strong/vile" smells: I like Rien, Duro, Antaeus... and stuff of the sort.
    I actually get a medley of flowers a couple of hours into it.
    It starts our very intense. Automotive as you put it but then the flowers emerge and soften it.

Where is alfarom? Knize Ten Ambassador.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Member

I have done a 180 on this and now like it very much. There is a Knize 10 deodorant available housed in a fantastic glass bottle similar to the original which I find great sprayed (excessively) around the torso and creating just the right amount of sillage. Therefore, you may find that it is much easier to wear than the original version.

I was amazed at first, but it was my first "serious" fragrance, so I bought it rather too soon, as I often did in my early years of this hobby, conflating being impressed with wanting to wear something.

All in all, this is a very good, strong, floralized leather that leans sweet on me, but starts out with an almost unique gasoline note ( it's also in Tauer's extinct Orris ). Cigar in a car is about right. It's too thick on me ( for all-day sniffing, I like Cuir Ottoman ), but quality.

For the record, I don't like Rien ( bitingly metallic ) and find Duro insanely, painfully sweet.

I am growing fonder and fonder of Knize Ten. It is probably not going to be a big love, but I have also done great layerings with Tabac Blond. The original Tabac Blond had a leather note that clearly is a Knize Ten vibe - apart from the animalics until they were removed (like in all perfumes).
    A few thoughts:
    Knize Ten works much better on me splashed (vs. sprayed). Don't get too much on fabric as it is overpoweringly strong.
    The Golden Edition is a bit sweeter, the leather too retained. It lacks the originality of the original IMO. The SA at the Knize Store in Vienna hated it and said 'only old men buy it' with a facial expression of utter disgust.
    The new batch at the Knize Store smelled yesterday and two weeks before smells the same and the SA said they were guaranteed by the management or by whomever that it remained unchanged.

To my nose, it tends to become more powdery and smooth after a while, yet never foul.

I don't get the cigar either. Car? Well, probably yes but to me this is still not the case. If I think about cars what immediately comes to mind is Nostalgia or Tar by Comme Des Garcons. Knize Ten to me is a butch leather with a huge floral-ambery base. Actually much smoother than most of other perople perceive it. I can wear it anytime and anywhere and I always feel incredibly comfortable...I guess to everyone its own...

Anything but foul...
    Last edited by alfarom; 30th August 2012 at 09:13 AM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sound Scents

It has been a while since I wore it last, but I don't remember anything foul or cigar-like, although it is a more aggressive leather scent to be sure. I like Knize Ten quite a bit on the whole. It could be you prefer your leathers more soft and/or smooth, and if so you may want to reference a very recent thread here on the subject for some alternatives more to your taste.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Not everyone can like everything. As others have suggested, sometimes it is worth putting aside a 'hyped' scent you don't first like, and retesting at intervals. That said, I agree it is plain unpleasant, in both formulations. Beats me why it is still so popular; but then others say the same about some of my favourites. And I do like Knize Sec.