Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Noirdrakkar Tries Aventus: Is Aventus Worth The Hype?

I've been on this board for more than 8 months. When I first joined, Green Irish Tweed was the favorite horse. But soon after, people started shifting to Creed's Aventus. It soon became, easily, the most acclaimed fragrance on Basenotes. For the past few months, it has been in a lot of top 10 lists, the center of a lot of topics, and in nearly every topic asking for suggestions, someone is going to mention Aventus. I've never seen this much hype in a fragrance before, ever. Aventus has the reputation on Basenotes as the #1 fragrance.

The question: Does Aventus live up to the high standards set for it?

I caved into all of the hype and bought a decant of Aventus (c42b11z01). I tried it on for a few days and for those who haven't tried it, I will explain the best I can what it is like to help you decide whether this is worth trying or buying. For those who tried it and own it, this can be a very lively discussion.

Creed's most popular scents Millesime Imperial, Silver Mountain Water and Green Irish Tweed are known to be fresh and more subtle scents. For that reason, I was expecting this to be a light scent as well. However, Aventus is far from it. It is the polar opposite. This is not unisex. This is masculine, to the fullest extent of the word. Aventus is a powerhouse, projecting much much stronger. If it were sold in a generic bottle, I would not have guessed it was a Creed.

At the beginning, it starts out with a mix of fruits. There is bergamot and apples, which are excellent. Mainly, the most noted part about this fragrance is the pineapple. It stands out because not many fragrances use pineapple, especially as one of the main notes. Not only that, but Creed does it exceptionally well. The opening starts a little synthetic and at the literal first second it is really hard to tell what exactly is going on. However, after the first minute, the scent develops into something wonderful. It is a great fruity scent with a lot of darker undercurrents.

However, quickly, within the first hour, that fruity paradise vanishes, replaced with a billowing cloud of smoke. The apple-pineapple opening starts to take a back-seat while the smoky woody incense dominates the fragrance. By the 2nd hour, the scent is mostly just smoke. That wonderful opening is hardly detectable. While fragrances are often criticized for being linear, I think the greater flaw is being inconsistent. I do not see the purpose of having such a remarkable opening for it only to vanish into thin air.

This scent is smoky, like Kouros. While this scent is remarkably different from Kouros, it still has the same idea in mind: a strong powerhouse smoky fragrance, distinct in its uniqueness.

My nose is very insensitive and incapable of picking up subtleties, so I'm probably not the best person to judge a scent even on my own skin. It's really hard on whether I really like it or don't care a lot about it. It is such a complex fragrance with so many subtlties. Each part of my body I spray it on, it smells completely different, but in the end, it all leads to the same path: the smoky birch basenotes.

When it comes to compliments, I hear a lot of people have gotten a ton of compliments. I haven't worn it in public much so I can't judge that.

Two things you should keep in mind:
    1. There are variations from batch to batch. There are some batches with more pineapple and some batches with more smoke - and I may have the latter. For that reason, make sure you check the batch you are getting before you buy it.
    2. We all have different skin chemistry. My skin diffuses a lot of heat, so many fragrances end up heavily distorted

I still have my decant. I'll give it a lot more usage to see if my mind changes. Once the decant is done, I'll decide whether I want a full bottle or not. I'm not sure if I want to buy this (and I'm thankful that I didn't, though I may change my mind). For those wanting to blind buy this, I assume you do the same. Don't sample it on a card and walk away if you don't like it. Don't buy it blindly. Rather, try a decant or split sample of 5-10ml. If you end up liking it, go for the real thing.

This has been strongly hyped. But now as I smell Aventus and think of why, I know the reason. Because it is bold daring and controversial - not because most people love it! Creed's willingness to take a risk and release a scent so different has resulted in people having extreme opinions of it. I'm sure many people on here will say that they didn't like Aventus or it wasn't for them. Safer more versatile scents like Millesime Imperial will have overall MORE PEOPLE approving, but Aventus will have more people who EXTREMELY APPROVE of it.

I'm unsure how I am going to rate this. This could, in time, get a 10. But for now, I'll let it rest at an 8.

This may be all a bit premature. My opinion of this may change (or it could stay the same) in months to come.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Noirdrakkar Tries Aventus: Is Aventus Worth The Hype?

Nice to see that you're putting some thought into this fragrance! Thanks for your comments!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thanks. What are your thoughts on it?

It's going to be subjective depending on peoples take on it. For me I like it though not enough to buy and I do think its over hyped but some fragrances are worthy of the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Because it is bold daring and controversial
    I feel the exact opposite. Aventus is the exact kind of "masculine cologne" I've smelled hundreds of times before, the kind that is ever-familiar, the kind that kept me away from fragrances my entire life until I discovered houses like Lutens and Tauer.

If you're into more traditional, mainstream, safe fragrances you'll probably like Aventus, or at least find its framework to be very familiar, but the hype surrounding it seems a little exaggerated and I suspect it's due to people who are so familiar with a very specific genre of fragrance ("office elevator masculine") that the slightest nuance (pineapple/ash) seems hugely profound, but to me it all smells relatively of the same ilk. I'm sure people will think I just don't have enough experience with these kinds of fragrances to appreciate, but I think this comic does a good job at summing up the Aventus connoisseurship:

This equally applies to the throne GIT sits on while Cool Water is a bargain bin throwaway. I guess, for some, the subtlest of nuances differentiates a bargain bin scent from a masterpiece but to me there's a line where connoisseurship crosses into placebo and imagination (I'm slightly holding back from saying 'delusions of grandeur' here). Just my opinion, I know most will fully disagree with me.

Sound Scents

Loved the pineapple opening and disliked the smoky heart and synthetic nature of the scent immensely. I found overall it was very average and would rate it about a 5 or 6 out of 10. Nothing too unconventional or risk-taking here to my nose, at least... Good review though; thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driů) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    I feel the exact opposite. Aventus is the exact kind of "masculine cologne" I've smelled hundreds of times before, the kind that is ever-familiar, the kind that kept me away from fragrances my entire life until I discovered houses like Lutens and Tauer.

If you're into more traditional, mainstream, safe fragrances you'll probably like Aventus, or at least find its framework to be very familiar, but the hype surrounding it seems a little exaggerated and I suspect it's due to people who are so familiar with a very specific genre of fragrance ("office elevator masculine") that the slightest nuance (pineapple/ash) seems hugely profound, but to me it all smells relatively of the same ilk. I'm sure people will think I just don't have enough experience with these kinds of fragrances to appreciate, but I think this comic does a good job at summing up the Aventus connoisseurship:

This equally applies to the throne GIT sits on while Cool Water is a bargain bin throwaway. I guess, for some, the subtlest of nuances differentiates a bargain bin scent from a masterpiece but to me there's a line where connoisseurship crosses into placebo and imagination (I'm slightly holding back from saying 'delusions of grandeur' here). Just my opinion, I know most will fully disagree with me.
    I agree with you. I don't see anything special in Aventus, I think it's dramatically and extremely over hyped (did you like how dramatic I was about it's hype)...it doesn't bug me that people like it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo much (how's that for dramatic) as much as it bugs me that people are so misleading in it's sheer world dominating, world peace inducing, baby soothing, womanizing, world huger solving, resurrecting, self-perfecting, character building, awe inducing, all knowing, all powerful status. (phew, I couldn't think of any more...it's probably because I'm not wearing Aventus, I get it now...I could be sooooo much better if I were)
    Thank you, Thank you, and goodnight

On my skin, it's not masculine at all. In fact, almost all compliments I get from this fragrance, which is plenty, is about how this smells slightly feminine most likely due to the fruity note which last forever on my skin. I actually prefer it because I'm not into smoky overly masculine scents. Might just be the batch though

Good review. Don't take this the wrong way (it is meant as a compliment) but it's nice to see you having an opinion about a fragrance and expressing your views
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    Good review. Don't take this the wrong way (it is meant as a compliment) but it's nice to see you having an opinion about a fragrance and expressing your views
    I whole-heartedly agree.

The most hyped fragrance EVER. IMO

I think it's funny how people complain about hype while adding to it. The title to this thread *IS* hype: Noirdrakkar Tries Aventus: Is Aventus Worth The Hype?

Hype on message boards and youtube is nothing more than other people's opinions. Noirdrakkar can't tell us if Aventus lives up to the hype. He can only say if it lives up to the hype for him. I can only say if it lives up to the hype for me, but that's not how I judge a scent. I mean, hey, hype makes it easy to find out about something, so it's fair to say hype can be helpful as well as annoying. But the thing is, I can't wear hype. I can't smell hype and hype isn't going to bring my compliments. Hype is just other people's enthusiasm.

For me, Aventus was worth buying. I enjoy it and I've been complimented while wearing it. Win, win. As for the hype... really, who cares?

If you sniff a scent and base your opinion on other people's enthusiasm, you're setting yourself up for a letdown. Instead, it makes a million times more sense to focus on whether the scent brings you pleasure and how much it costs to own it.

I think Aventus is definitely worth a sniff (there's always tons of splits or decants available for this one), and while it's certainly nowhere near my favorite, I think it's both bold enough and polarizing enough to evoke a response. It may get you sent home from work (happened to at least two BNers that I'm aware of), or it may solicit a compliment hours after you sprayed it (check the 'female compliments' thread), but it's hard to ignore. As always, it's up to the individual to determine if a particular scent is bottle-worthy to stand side-by-side with your revered mainstays, but it's hard to deny that Aventus makes an impression.

The first time I wore it, I liked it. The second time, I liked it a lot. After that it has been pure love. Formal, casual, summer, winter, etc. - this fits any situation, any mood.

It is unlike anything else. Does it live up to the hype? That is a personal choice. I love several Creed fragrances (and can't stand Imperial Millesime), and put this one on the top of the heap. The top of any heap in fact.

I guess you should just give it a few more wearings, and decide for yourself. But it is my favorite, and by far, the biggest compliment getter from females (I was a little suprised by that).
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    10. Creed - Royal Oud

I don't find Aventus to resemble any other scent I've yet worn or tested, and I give Creed credit for coming up with something unique. I wear it occasionally and enjoy it as a nice change of pace; as noted in prior threads, I get compliments in the office. It seems to project a lot. I can pick up the pineapple in it even 24 hours after application, and that's the note I like best about it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the support.

As expressed, these are MY opinions. You may think Aventus is the greatest invention since the wheel or you may hate it. But all I am saying is that our noses are all different, our skins are all different and the batches are different. Also, it is pricey, so if you are going to drop that kind of money, definitely examine it carefully.

This is not a bad fragrance at all. I actually think this is a brilliant work of art. However, any fragrance with the amount of acclaim that Aventus had would break under pressure. People become adverse to the idea that there is ONE fragrance that tops them all.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    The first time I wore it, I liked it. The second time, I liked it a lot. After that it has been pure love. Formal, casual, summer, winter, etc. - this fits any situation, any mood.
    I experienced this as well! On first wearing, I liked it but wasn't compelled. I tried it again a month later and thought "This is nice. Really nice." By the 4th time I wore it, as I watched my sample disappear, I knew I needed to own it. It's one of my top two (the other being Gucci Pour Homme II). It's incredibly versatile, but the reason I love it is that it... uhm... well... it feels happy. Both Aventus and GphII smell so cheerful to me. Cheerful yet sort of exquisite.

This is what think of this fragrance. Thanks to l'homme bi I got a 5ml decant from the fragrancebros. Does it live to its hype? Well from what I can tell the hype around it isn't because it smell good its because it get you compliments. I haven't tried it out in public but someone told me that they like liked it when I tested at home . About the smell of aventus well its hard to say its not really a typical frag its unique in a way I got all those fruit juces in the opening apple and pine apple but then that smokey smell creeps in which makes it interesting. All along there is a swet note which gives it a sweet smell but that jasmine is what gives this perfume its character to me other than that the base is almost non existent. Its not for every one that's for sure but I am also sur this will get me compliments when I decide to wear it. So its ayes for me.
    Last edited by Stayclose; 7th August 2012 at 01:17 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Stayclose: great point. Aventus is an aroma scent. It's one of the many fragrances that don't smell great on your wrist, but as it passes through the air, and taken in as a whole, it better. When I sat outside on the deck with the winds blowing on me, Aventus got better.

I heard Aventus was a total chick magnet, especially in the compliments thread. I appreciate fragrances as art and everything, but honestly I'm vain and narcissitic enough to care about compliments.

Anyone got anything to say about the compliments they got from Aventus

However, any fragrance with the amount of acclaim that Aventus had would break under pressure.
    You're still caught up in trying to smell hype. For those who enjoy Aventus, it doesn't break under the pressure. For those who don't enjoy it or are indifferent, it probably does.

Really, it's this simple:
    "Do I like this?" Yay/nay.
    "Would I buy this?" Yay/nay.

Aventus really isn't too pricey if you get in on a split. But, yeah, if you want a bottle, it's expensive. I bought a bottle, but I probably should have just gone in on a split. I'm not a fan of Creed super-soaker-sprayers!

Banned
    Blog Entries

LBI, is this not a thread about trying-to-smell?

Noir: I get excellent compliments while wearing Aventus, but if it's compliments you want (and who doesn't?!?) Curve is the way to go. Curve isn't going to get respect on basenotes, but who cares? It gets compliments like crazy in the real world.

For the record: the idea that people only wear Aventus for compliments is incorrect. Maybe some do, but speaking for myself, I absolutely love the smell. The rich pineapple smells cheerful and the drydown is oddly soothing (I say "oddly" because I can't quite explain why I feel that way). Aventus manages to be both fruity yet manly. I think it smells fantastic.

Really though, you have to let go of the hype and other people's enthusiasm. Just wear it and let your nose decide. If your nose says no, that's A-OK. There are a ton of other amazing scents out there.

- - - Updated - - -

LBI, is this not a thread about trying-to-smell?
    It is, but it seems like you're more concerned with judging the hype rather than the actual smell. Smells don't break under pressure of hype. I hope you don't think other scents smell badly if they don't have enough hype.

Banned

I think it is an unbelievable fragrance. If you get a good batch, you will be blown away...as is the case with any other Creed.

Probably my all time favorite.

Yep if you like it spray if not delay it.

The pineapple opening is a ten. It's worth buying just for that. The rest of it is a solid 8.5. That being said I would never wear this every day. I love it once a week and it always smells like the first time. From what I've read here and seen on Youtube wearing this to often causes nose fatigue and I think that's why some may have oversprayed it.

In my experience it's real calm and wonderful until your body heat goes up and you sweat a little. That's when it starts to project like a beast. Suddenly you understand why some people were sent home.

Blog Entries

Thanks. What are your thoughts on it?
    Do NOT believe the hype on Aventus. Aventus did NOT beat Chuck Norris. It ALMOST beat him.

OK. At the risk of adding to the hype, let me just say that this is how I - personally - feel about it. But this is much more from a business perspective, and a personal perspective, than from any "artistic" perspective.

I think it's an excellent fragrance - but more than that, it was one of Creed's re-defining moments. Though I also agree with those who say it's mainstream. Because it is. I think it was a very smart fragrance for Creed to release.

I agree with lm6 that Aventus is *not* an out-of-the-box fragrance. I've sniffed (and own) plenty of those. Tauer, Mugler, Neil Morris and CdG provide edginess and wide-angle novelty when I need it.

Aventus is one where the effort was all done "in-the-box". Creed did what it does best - find something people like and polish it to a shine that sells. They don't polish things nearly as much as JAR, nor do they try to find a unique and terribly interesting starting point in the way that JAR does. But they find something popular and recognizable and work it - so that people who love traditional or mainstream, and want the same thing, only a bit more thought-out and smoothed over, and maybe even a tad unique, will be pleased.

But there is a sense in which Aventus *was* somewhat bold and controversial - and that was in taking a risk of alienating the traditionalist part of Creed's fanbase. People who preferred Creed's old-school stuff were *not* generally pleased with Aventus.

I was somewhere in between.

When I first smelled Aventus, I recall thinking that Creed had managed to integrate a sorely needed modernity with a requisite old-school sophistication. I thought it was brilliant, and would basically save Creed from becoming irrelevant. It was a turning point for the company. It's their big seller now, and they needed it. Creeds have more often fallen to one side or the other, pleasing either their modernist followers or their traditionalists. That simply couldn't go on. Creed needed to get back in the groove of what I might call the high road of the current stream of fragrance thought. You can't create a contender for a true classic otherwise, and Creed needed a new contender. I felt that Aventus had enough old-school vibe to feel almost poignant, but in a subtle way that would damn near fly under the radar of those highly desirable, younger lovers of modern stuff. It had the fresh feel of a recent designer release, but with an almost subconscious old-school sophistication, which is really needed to get people to make the price jump. It was the perfect combination - exactly what Creed needed.

More personally, it was a fragrance that I knew I would love, but in a way that I really couldn't. I don't know if that makes sense. The way I felt then, is still the way I feel now. I guess you could say that I love it, but it's not *me*. It's a bit too young for me. It smells great, and great on me, but I knew it could never be my signature scent. When I smell it, it reminds me of young men now - something I can never be. It reminds me of an age when I would never have worn Aventus. At that age, I was wearing Pendleton shirts, and blue jeans, and Givenchy Gentleman. But the fragrance makes me imagine a world where I'm wearing completely different clothes, and living a completely different life, at that younger age. I'm wearing a suit and a vest, and I have gold wire-rimmed glasses. I even imagine I'm walking my dog, just like the first time I wore Aventus, though it's a different breed. It does that every time I smell it.

I guess that's why I like fragrance. It takes me somewhere else - another place - another time.

*sigh*

Yeah, I like it. In my own weird way.

This is perfect.
    CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Stayclose: great point. Aventus is an aroma scent. It's one of the many fragrances that don't smell great on your wrist, but as it passes through the air, and taken in as a whole, it better. When I sat outside on the deck with the winds blowing on me, Aventus got better.

I heard Aventus was a total chick magnet, especially in the compliments thread. I appreciate fragrances as art and everything, but honestly I'm vain and narcissitic enough to care about compliments.

Anyone got anything to say about the compliments they got from Aventus
    Easily my #1 compliment-getter, and it's not even close. The compliments I do get are always paired with a look of disbelief and mystery. Almost every time, it's not just a "you smell good," it's something slightly more than that. Don't ask me to explain it, but it happens like clockwork.

To me it is a good and interesting fragrance objectively but personally I do not like it very much. Definitely one that needs trying before buying IMHO - that's what decants are for, hype or no hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Do NOT believe the hype on Aventus. Aventus did NOT beat Chuck Norris. It ALMOST beat him.
    Awe, come ON man! That wasn't even a fair FIGHT! First of all, Norris' people took Aventus out for drinks and got it all liquored up. Then, a few hours later, in walks Chuck Norris, completely sober. Yet, despite this, Aventus came darn near putting Norris flat on his back. AND AVENTUS DOESN'T EVEN HAVE ARMS OR LEGS. Totally not even close to being a fair fight.

...oh, but the rest of your post? Superb.

P.S. Red: what age does Aventus smell like to you?

If it lasted more than 30 minutes it would be worth it. I'm anosmic to whatever's in it during the dry down. That said, it's my daughter's absolute favorite of all time on me, so I caved and bought a bottle.

The sample I had smelled like pure smoke. Not tobacco smoke, but camp fire smoke. PURE campfire smoke.

I love it! From the pineapple beginning down to a leather like accord that is so smooth and classy.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Awe, come ON man! That wasn't even a fair FIGHT! First of all, Norris' people took Aventus out for drinks and got it all liquored up. Then, a few hours later, in walks Chuck Norris, completely sober. Yet, despite this, Aventus came darn near putting Norris flat on his back. AND AVENTUS DOESN'T EVEN HAVE ARMS OR LEGS. Totally not even close to being a fair fight.
    LOL

Yeah. I can imagine the look on the cop's face when Aventus blew into the breathalyzer!

...oh, but the rest of your post? Superb.
    Thanks, man!

P.S. Red: what age does Aventus smell like to you?
    I'd say 25-35. That's the age I always imagine being when I smell it. Kinda crazy. I really like the suit I'm wearing, too, but it's unlike anything I own. Very comfortable tweedy thing - kind of a slightly natural gray with a touch of brown. The dog is some kind of Jack Russell mix. My hair is more blonde and I look different, too.

Only some of my fragrances do that sort of thing. Kinda neat when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by tehtimmeh View Post
    ...That said, it's my daughter's absolute favorite of all time on me, so I caved and bought a bottle.
    Not sure how young she is, but that's the cutest "I bought Aventus because of a woman" story I have yet to hear. The SAs at my Saks were telling me about the number of women who buy it for their guys - I don't remember the exact fraction, but it was a pretty significant portion of the sales.

I'm in the camp that likes it, but finds it grossly over-rated/over-hyped and won't be purchasing it anytime soon.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Creed's Aventus, is one of the few fragrances that indeed deserves the hype. I am not a big fan of creed, nor of niche, if truth be told. But Aventus, man this is good juice. And the compliments. I would even go so far as to recommend aventus as a blind buy to my friends. It is that good.

I was underwhelmed with my first experience with Aventus as well. I liked the fruity, smokey vibe but didn't find it that impressive. About the 4th time wearing it is when I really started to appreciate and enjoy the mix of the fruit (pineapple and apple), the leather accord, and the touch of patchouli. What won me over was the projection and longevity. It just keeps on giving.
    Last edited by silentrich; 7th August 2012 at 05:41 AM.

Personally love it and very glad I have a bottle of this in my collection

It actually took a bunch of wearings for me to finally fall in love with this scent. Besides the fact that it has received multiple compliments from rather attractive women I actually enjoy the pineapple smokiness that I get on my skin every time I spray it on.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Aplle Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    This is perfect.
    There is a lot to be said for enjoying the cheap stuff when you actually enjoy it. One of my most memorable wines was this $2.99 "champagne" that I bought in a gas station quickie-mart. We were short on bubbly, and some of us volunteered to drink the bad stuff. They had overloaded it with a ridiculous amount of sulfite - it tasted like goddamn rubber. But if it was a fragrance, it would have been Bulgari Black. The obscene level of sulfite was perfect - it really took the edge off what normally would have been off-notes. I was impressed. My GF was horrified by the stuff, but I thought it was interesting as hell.

Kinda not surprising how we ended up married to different people!

Redneck: I couldn't agree more. The placebo with fragrance is strong.. if you pay a lot for perfume or sample something that's 400-500 a bottle, it's natural to instantly assume it's high quality. I see lots of reviews for various brands, Kilian for example, where people say "I don't really care for it but I can tell it's very high quality stuff" .. really? It smells like aromachemicals to my nose. That's why I mentioned the Cool Water/GIT thing.. I wonder if the juices were swapped if people would decide Cool Water was the high quality one because the price indicated as much. One simply needs to look into the backgrounds of many of these noses to recognize their signature, from Sheldrake to Duchaufour to Giacobetti to you name it, these are very skilled noses and they can do magic with synthetics. To assume quality ingredients are used just because it's expensive seems naive, but it's clear that niche perfumes will soon be commonly sold around the $300-350 price point, and if current trends are any indication, $350 will still see bottles flying off the shelf. Dior, Tom Ford and many others are going full steam ahead with faux niche lines to get a piece of the pie. It's understandable, too. Everyone wants to make money.

And I also agree about the thrill of enjoying cheap stuff (especially when you're broke). I read an interview with Franz Ferdinand in Rolling Stone many many years ago and their singer said that the most decadent memories he has are of when he was dirt poor and would save up enough for a bottle of rum or small pleasures like that.. I relate. Bulgari Black is one of the cheapest fragrances to buy and imo it's one of the best. I don't care if you can walk into a Ross and buy it for 10 bucks, it's damn good quality juice and I'd take it over most the Kilians, Nasomattos and Clive Christians out there. Yes, most people are going to say Dzing is better because it costs more and is more exclusive, but all this does is re-enforce my point. I've done many side by sides with those 2, Black smells better (opinion) and longevity/projection is far better (fact), and it's drastically cheaper. I'm just waiting for a niche company to make a Back to Black or Tobacco Vanille knockoff, charge $600 for 30ml, and watch everyone fall head over heels for it, and even if people hate it they'll still wax poetic about how high quality the ingredients smell.

They occasionally do blind taste tests with wine experts and sometimes the results are embarrassing (like the time 2 Buck Chuck (Trader Joes/Charles Shaw) beat out multiple hundred dollar French wines) and I'm certain many perfume fanatics would also end up red faced if put in a similar blind-smelling situation without high price points and fancy ad copy to guide their opinions/placebo.

To me, Amouage is the one house that is worth the premium. There is such a regal and classy feel to them, the bottles are works of art and they make me feel very content when I wear them. It's the one brand in which the visual representation is mirrored perfectly with the fragrances themselves. Whoops, I just realized I'm mashing all these paragraphs out in an Aventus thread! I'll stop now

Blog Entries

Redneck: I couldn't agree more. The placebo with fragrance is strong.. if you pay a lot for perfume or sample something that's 400-500 a bottle, it's natural to instantly assume it's high quality. I see lots of reviews for various brands, Kilian for example, where people say "I don't really care for it but I can tell it's very high quality stuff" .. really? It smells like aromachemicals to my nose. That's why I mentioned the Cool Water/GIT thing.. I wonder if the juices were swapped if people would decide Cool Water was the high quality one because the price indicated as much. One simply needs to look into the backgrounds of many of these noses to recognize their signature, from Sheldrake to Duchaufour to Giacobetti to you name it, these are very skilled noses and they can do magic with synthetics. To assume quality ingredients are used just because it's expensive seems naive, but it's clear that niche perfumes will soon be commonly sold around the $300-350 price point, and if current trends are any indication, $350 will still see bottles flying off the shelf. Dior, Tom Ford and many others are going full steam ahead with faux niche lines to get a piece of the pie. It's understandable, too. Everyone wants to make money.

And I also agree about the thrill of enjoying cheap stuff (especially when you're broke). I read an interview with Franz Ferdinand in Rolling Stone many many years ago and their singer said that the most decadent memories he has are of when he was dirt poor and would save up enough for a bottle of rum or small pleasures like that.. I relate. Bulgari Black is one of the cheapest fragrances to buy and imo it's one of the best. I don't care if you can walk into a Ross and buy it for 10 bucks, it's damn good quality juice and I'd take it over most the Kilians, Nasomattos and Clive Christians out there. Yes, most people are going to say Dzing is better because it costs more and is more exclusive, but all this does is re-enforce my point. I've done many side by sides with those 2, Black smells better (opinion) and longevity/projection is far better (fact), and it's drastically cheaper. I'm just waiting for a niche company to make a Back to Black or Tobacco Vanille knockoff, charge $600 for 30ml, and watch everyone fall head over heels for it, and even if people hate it they'll still wax poetic about how high quality the ingredients smell.

They occasionally do blind taste tests with wine experts and sometimes the results are embarrassing (like the time 2 Buck Chuck (Trader Joes/Charles Shaw) beat out multiple hundred dollar French wines) and I'm certain many perfume fanatics would also end up red faced if put in a similar blind-smelling situation without high price points and fancy ad copy to guide their opinions/placebo.

To me, Amouage is the one house that is worth the premium. There is such a regal and classy feel to them, the bottles are works of art and they make me feel very content when I wear them. It's the one brand in which the visual representation is mirrored perfectly with the fragrances themselves. Whoops, I just realized I'm mashing all these paragraphs out in an Aventus thread! I'll stop now
    I'll keep my response to all this truth as potent as possible by keeping it short.

Yup.

And while this may not add anything, perhaps it sums it up. It really pays to know your own nose.

OK - one more thing. Though I love Aventus, and it used to be very unique, there are, now, some very enjoyable designer fragrances that are plumbing the fruity/smoky/sweet thing for all they're worth, and they're all under $100. I've seen people react to them with the same OMG feeling as Aventus. I won't say they're a substitute - everybody needs to answer to their own nose on that one. But when you can love something cheaply, why not?

Bulgari Black is definitely one of the fragrances that I would rescue in the event of a fire. I smell that on other people, and I'm amazed at how great it is. I just hope they never think about discontinuing it - at least not in my lifetime.

I didn't buy the hype, I bought the sample. Then I bought the fragrance. And I'm glad I did.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yeah. I have a 10ml sample. To me, Aventus is not an everyday scent. I might wear this once every few weeks, at least until I get a bottle.

I've loved Aventus from the first sniff. In fact, I'm naming my son after it.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I sampled Aventus for a week when it first started coming on here. First day I wore it a secretary in my firm said I smelled great. I enjoyed the hint of pineapple but was smitten with the drydown. It wasn't too smoky but nice and professional. However, in the same batch, the more I wore it, the more pineapple overwhelmed me and I just found it ok. I couldn't get the pineapple out of my nostrils. I purchased one Creed in 4 years of being here...legit GIT on ebay..and sold it right away. Maybe its because I realized that I love smelling good but that it isn't that important to me to spend alot on it...or maybe rather spend it on family...but I just can't see myself ever buying another Creed unless I have ALOT of cash to burn. Great hobby but I'm more of a searcher and tester than collector. I can stick with TdH or a lesser designer and move on.

Love this discussion though. Redneck and others hit on some great points!!Cheers
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Ok, I have to share this link
    http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-Kitch...owViewpoints=1
    I really don't mean to offend anyone with this, I just feel like this is how dramatic some Aventus lovers are in their description of the power of Aventus. These are some funny reviews here. I just think that Aventus lovers and non-lovers alike can enjoy this. Just read a few reviews and if nothing else, just read the review headers.

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    I've loved Aventus from the first sniff. In fact, I'm naming my son after it.
    Napoleon Dynamite?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    Ok, I have to share this link
    http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-Kitch...owViewpoints=1
    I really don't mean to offend anyone with this, I just feel like this is how dramatic some Aventus lovers are in their description of the power of Aventus. These are some funny reviews here. I just think that Aventus lovers and non-lovers alike can enjoy this. Just read a few reviews and if nothing else, just read the review headers.
    Guy must have been bored to death to write all of those.

im6: you make a lot of really good points. I am a big fan of Bvlgari Black. It's excellent. So is Fahrenheit. Curve is a huge compliment catcher and I enjoy it. Hanae Mori HM is excellent as well, and can be had for as little as $15.

I think many people trick themselves into believing if something costs more, it must be "better" (whatever THAT mans). But it doesn't necesarily work that way. Price is more often dictated by a sales strategy. It takes more purchases of a $70 frag to bring in the same profit that a $200 frag makes. On the other hand, the $70 frag is in more stores and more affordable, thus is WILL sell more... but on the other hand (a 3rd hand?! You mutant!), in order to sell more, a $70 scent has to appeal to more people. Designer houses often create fragrance-pop since it's easier to sell Pop than Art. Note that I said "often" not "always." There is fragrance art to be had for under $100 a bottle.

I also think that many people trick themselves into believing they have to like what other people like. They buy popular stuff because they're think they're supposed to, or because they want to be part of the in-crowd. Or they join the backlash against something popular because they want to be part of THAT crowd. It's silliness. And it brings me back to the silliness of judging scents based on anything other than the smell.

Noir says Aventus smells like just smoke on his skin by the 2nd hour. That's the only wise way to judge a scent when considering a purchase: judge it by how it smells on one's own skin. On my skin, Bleecker street turns into a mess in the drydown, mostly but not entirely disappearing at the 4 hour mark. It's a bummer since I adore Bleecker's opening. Ah well. Not all scents work on all people and it would be a shame to lay down big bucks for something that doesn't work on your own skin. And that's the beauty (and wisdom!) of sampling first.

The hypers rave about it.
    The backlashers slam it.
    But the only opinion that matters is the person whose nose is smelling it. Hype has no smell. Always trust your own nose. The nose knows

Banned
    Blog Entries

I think many people trick themselves into believing if something costs more, it must be "better" (whatever THAT means). But it doesn't necesarily work that way.

Agreed. What if Kouros was $150? What if Amen was $200? What if Terre d'Hermes was $280?

Price is more often dictated by a sales strategy. It takes more purchases of a $70 frag to bring in the same profit that a $200 frag makes. On the other hand, the $70 frag is in more stores and more affordable, thus is WILL sell more... but on the other hand (a 3rd hand?! You mutant!), in order to sell more, a $70 scent has to appeal to more people. Designer houses often create fragrance-pop since it's easier to sell Pop than Art. Note that I said "often" not "always." There is fragrance art to be had for under $100 a bottle.

Agreed. If Aventus were $70 at Macy's, half the country would wear it and Basenoters would hate it.

I also think that many people trick themselves into believing they have to like what other people like. They buy popular stuff because they're think they're supposed to, or because they want to be part of the in-crowd. Or they join the backlash against something popular because they want to be part of THAT crowd. It's silliness. And it brings me back to the silliness of judging scents based on anything other than the smell.

Yeah I know a lot of people who feel obligated to say fragrances are good just because everyone else is. In all honesty, I'm starting to like Aventus (and if it were only $100, it would be an instant purchase). But I'm never afraid to condemn a fragrance that most Basenoters like, nor am I afraid to wear fragrances that are considered overused or cliche. Niche lovers are the 1% in real life and the 99% on Basenotes.

Noir says Aventus smells like just smoke on his skin by the 2nd hour. That's the only wise way to judge a scent when considering a purchase: judge it by how it smells on one's own skin.

The pineapple actually returns a little bit. I have to breathe on my hand to get it to come back because this fragrance causes severe olfactory fatigue.

The hypers rave about it.
    The backlashers slam it.

And I'm somewhere in between. I agree with the hypers on the smell. I agree with the backlashers on the cost.
    responses bolded

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    The pineapple opening is a ten. It's worth buying just for that. The rest of it is a solid 8.5. That being said I would never wear this every day. I love it once a week and it always smells like the first time. From what I've read here and seen on Youtube wearing this to often causes nose fatigue and I think that's why some may have oversprayed it.

In my experience it's real calm and wonderful until your body heat goes up and you sweat a little. That's when it starts to project like a beast. Suddenly you understand why some people were sent home.
    I feel exactly the same way. I wish i could smell like the opening all the time im not a huge fan of the smokey dry down.
    That being said i got a nice compliment this past weekend. I was at a store and one of the workers came up to me and said " you smell really good" she eventually asked one of her co workers to ask what i was wearing if she wasn't around when i was checking out and then subsequently came to me to ask again. It was about a couple of hrs after i sprayed and she said she could smell me around the store at the areas i was walking by and i didn't even smell it anymore at that point. I only had 2 sprays from a decant too.

on a side note, dogs love this smell on me, twice i have attracted serious attention from random dogs wearing aventus

I also think that many people trick themselves into believing they have to like what other people like. They buy popular stuff because they're think they're supposed to, or because they want to be part of the in-crowd.

Absolutely on the money. Sheep behaviour. I have no problem whatsoever in going against the crowd, if a frag is crap i say it's crap and couldn't care less what fanboys/shills think. I'd have no problem knocking seven shades of shit out of Aventus too if it wasn't any good.

Is Aventus worth the hype? In my opinion, yes, it's one of a very few that actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    on a side note, dogs love this smell on me, twice i have attracted serious attention from random dogs wearing aventus
    Y'know, I think that's the only aspect of Aventus that hasn't already been beaten to death: do pets and/or barnyard animals think it's worth the hype? LOL!

I'm waiting for a "I just tried Acqua Di Gio. Is it any good?" thread. As we all know, people only buy that one to mock the snobs

"Niche lovers are the 1% in real life and the 99% on Basenotes." - This statement is so profound.

In doing some research on fragrances I recently ventured onto a female beauty blogsite. The post was about the author's favorite fragrances and those she finds sexy on her man. She raved about Aqua di Gio the exact same way basenoters rave about the powers of Aventus. I quote:

AQUA DI GIO
    "This is another scent that I think would smell good on every male. Very clean, very sexy, very I-smell-hot-but-I-don't-try-too-hard. Hubby also has the deodorant of this and I swear to you, his t-shirt pits smell fantastic."

In the C-Section following the article out of about over 100 posts at least 80% of the raves were on Lacoste Essential, Aqua di Gio & Issey Miyake (there were random mentions e.g. John Varvatos Vintage, Marc Jacobs for men).

If you are looking for compliments take a hint from 99% of females out there. It is no small wonder that ADG is the top selling male fragrance of all time. I am under no illusions, fragrance community members are part of a very niche subculture. & by no means is Aventus the end-all-be-all of life and living.

If u think Im pulling stuff out of my @$$, I will cite & U see or yourself

http://www.frmheadtotoe.com/2011/11/...-perfumes.html

PS:I own AVENTUS & it is all that, but I am convinced that it is over-priced and totally unnecessary. Aqua Di Gio is prly even a better fragrance. But my bank account doesn't want to hear that crap!
    Last edited by LupeX; 15th August 2012 at 07:22 PM.

LupeX: that just might be one of the wisest posts I've seen on this forum in a while!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yeah I agree with Lupex. AdG is really good though. If it were a niche fragrance, it would be Muhammad Ali.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Aventus smells divine on me and I have very difficult, fragrance eating skin. Aventus with its pineapple opening and smoky undertones is a work of genius. I am amazed at the number of compliments I received each and every time I wear aventus. Last week a female NYPD officer could not stay away from me. It is an excellent fragrance. Well made and one of the creed fragrances that actually lasts. Every gentleman should look into Aventus.

Banned
    Blog Entries

^ well said

I, too, have the Z01 batch, and am really liking it. I had the X02 before and was hoping it would be similar, and it is very much. Believe it or not, on my skin, I get very little smokiness with the Z01 though. Basically 12 hours of the top with very subtle hints of smoke. Strong patchouli for me in the mid/drydown. Jealous anyone? Haha

Two sprays max for me.

interesting review man. i really liked it. i enjoy aventus, but then again, i've only tried one batch