Code of Conduct

Cool Bora Bora Revisited: a Stroll down Cheapie Avenue

I found several old fragrances I thought I would go through once again. (What fun, seriously!) They include: New West (Aramis), Lolita Lempicka, True Star, Nautica (the original one), Spark Seduction, Givenchy Gentleman, Polo (original green), a Ralph Lauren fragrance (I think it's Monogram, but the writing is so tiny can't read it), and Bora Bora, that cheapie Liz Claiborne scent. Of all these, the ONLY one I keep wanting to smell is Bora Bora. I know this certainly isn't the best quality fragrance, but it just smells good! And it makes me want more. Oh well, the nose likes what it likes! But I think it would be nice if Chanel or Bulgari remade this using better quality ingredients. In fact, I am sure they easily could, just add a couple of new notes and change the name. Of course, it's possible I like this so much because of the association with the good times I had when I used to wear this. Who knows. All I know is I like it.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bora Bora Revisited: a Stroll down Cheapie Avenue

This was my best friends favorite cologne. He wore it all the time. It works much better on his skin than mine. I ordered this one months ago, as it reminds me of him. But when I wear it, I feel (literally) nauseous.

Here's an interesting fact about Bora Bora: it dries down to an identical but lighter Curve (also by Liz Claiborne). Curve and Bora Bora start out quite differently, but the drydown is the same (except that Curve is stronger in the drydown). I'm not implying that's a bad thing. It's actually great. I was wearing Bora Bora when I met my ex. She loved it, so I kept wearing it while we dated. I still own a bottle. It wasn't until long later that I realized Bora Bora and Curve have the same drydown. Now, I wonder which other Claiborne scents do the same thing.

Bora Bora won't fetch compliments as easily as Curve since it ends up wearing lighter, but once someone notices it, it does get compliments. Through the years I got great dating feedback while wearing it.

As long as you spray an hour or two before you head out, Bora Bora is a great 1st date pick.

I hate the bottle though! Ugh.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Seriously... anybody have a bottle of Curve and other Claiborne stuff? I wonder how many of her men's scents have the exact same drydown. I bet Curve and Bora Bora aren't the only ones.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Here's an interesting fact about Bora Bora: it dries down to an identical but lighter Curve (also by Liz Claiborne). Curve and Bora Bora start out quite differently, but the drydown is the same (except that Curve is stronger in the drydown). I'm not implying that's a bad thing. It's actually great. I was wearing Bora Bora when I met my ex. She loved it, so I kept wearing it while we dated. I still own a bottle. It wasn't until long later that I realized Bora Bora and Curve have the same drydown. Now, I wonder which other Claiborne scents do the same thing.

Bora Bora won't fetch compliments as easily as Curve since it ends up wearing lighter, but once someone notices it, it does get compliments. Through the years I got great dating feedback while wearing it.

As long as you spray an hour or two before you head out, Bora Bora is a great 1st date pick.

I hate the bottle though! Ugh.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Seriously... anybody have a bottle of Curve and other Claiborne stuff? I wonder how many of her men's scents have the exact same drydown. I bet Curve and Bora Bora aren't the only ones.

Well, I'm not really familiar with Curve, but I know SOUL by Curve DOES have the same drydown as Bora Bora, as I pointed out in my Soul by Curve review years ago. Now I wonder if ALL Claiborne scents drydown the same.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Quote Originally Posted by Allen-at-home View Post
    Now I wonder if ALL Claiborne scents drydown the same.
    Me too! I used to own a bunch of Claiborne minis. I wish I hadn't pitched them.

Something doesn't add up here.
    If Bora Bora is the same as Curve in drydown and
    Bora Bora is the same as Soul in the drydown,
    then,
    Curve should be the same as Soul in the drydown.

But I only have Curve and Soul and they don't smell the same to me.

Interesting the scents you consider to be "old".
    Depends how old you are I suppose, but I wouldn't have put True Star (7yo) or Lempicka (12yo) into that category nor, arguably, scents that are still popular and being sold at high prices in department stores.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Interesting the scents you consider to be "old".
    Depends how old you are I suppose, but I wouldn't have put True Star (7yo) or Lempicka (12yo) into that category nor, arguably, scents that are still popular and being sold at high prices in department stores.
    TomAto, TomOto... "Old" means "not new". True Star isn't new.

Personally not a fan of Bora Bora but glad the OP found it to his liking.

Still have a 3/4 bottle of this stuff. It used to be, and still is, to an extent, my night out scent before I got deeper into fragrances. Definitely an old, but not out dated fragrance.

TomAto, TomOto... "Old" means "not new". True Star isn't new.
    So - everything over six months, or maybe a year, is old?
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    So - everything over six months, or maybe a year, is old?
    Renato
    True Star is SEVEN years old. I think I will check out that Ignore feature.

My Son likes this and I have a close friend that likes this.....Not a bad fragrance.....just not for me.....Gary

True Star is SEVEN years old. I think I will check out that Ignore feature.
    Please feel free to do so.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 7th August 2012 at 07:06 PM.