Code of Conduct

Default How many sprays of Cool Water should I use, and where should I spray it?

I've been experimenting for the last couple of weeks, and am trying to find the perfect amount, and perfect points for application. I don't think the wrists actually work, and it seems like a bad place to apply since it would get washed off whenever you wash your hands. I know that Cool Water isn't too excellent of a fragrance but it's all I have right now. What other fragrances should I pick up, preferably for under 60 dollars? I'm a 17 year old guy.

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: How many sprays of Cool Water should I use, and where should I spray it?

I also feel like apllying to the wrist is a waste because of the hand washing thing, so I tend to spray further up the arm on the inside of the elbow. I apply as follows: one on each arm (inside elbow), one on each side of neck, one on front of neck, and 2-4 on front of shirt (be careful if wearing white or light colored shirt, some colognes with a blue color ie. CoolWater, can leave a nice blue splotch on your shirt.) Some might find this to be a bit much, but I want to smell myself. Other colognes to try if you like Cool Water are Nautica Voyage, Acqua Di Gio, Azzaro Chrome, Versace Pour Homme.

Default Re: How many sprays of Cool Water should I use, and where should I spray it?

You just need to keep experimenting with how many sprays work for you. Everyone is different, so there is no definitive answer to this question.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Still, I would not recommend more than 3-4 sprays of this scent tops, but for the spraying points, indeed, individual testing would let you know what works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    Other colognes to try if you like Cool Water are Nautica Voyage, Acqua Di Gio, Azzaro Chrome, Versace Pour Homme.
    Good suggestions. D&G The One is also good. As is Versace Man Eau Fraiche.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Best place to spray Cool Water in my opinion is out of the window or in the toilet. It's a very badly made fragrance and doesn't deserve the hype it gets here.

Jokes aside, my response would be to spray on hot spots - i.e. areas that you are likely to perspire (= sweat). So instead of your wrists, try inside your elbow, for stronger scents try behind the knee, just under the armpit (but be careful not to spray in the armpit as it might sting temporarily) and so on. If you want your scent to project a lot, on the neck area behind the ears is also a good place. There is of course the chest area if you want to get gentle whiffs of your scent throughout the day.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

One spray should do it,
    and make sure to spray
    it away from your body!

Sorry ... couldn't help myself!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Best place to spray Cool Water in my opinion is out of the window or in the toilet. It's a very badly made fragrance and doesn't deserve the hype it gets here.
    AAAhahahaha! I see that I am not the only anti-fan here!

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Dude... He's a 17 year old guy, it's the only perfume he has. You shouldn't have said that.......

To the OP, Cool Water is a classic. I'd do 4 to 6 sprays if you're going to have a long day, otherwise 4 is suffice. Focus on your neck and chest area.

What's your address, I'll send you my last 30ml of Silver Mountain Water. Send me by PM

for swap/sale:

The most recent formulation of Cool Water is weaker so you can be a bit heavier on the sprays. Just don't go overboard. It may just be me, but Cool Water is one of those scents that seems to go away on me after the topnotes for awhile, but then really kicks back in later in the drydown. Maybe I just have olfactory fatigue with the midnotes, but I've sprayed extra thinking it had vanished only to have it really projecting later in the base.

Anyway, I'd say older formulation (bottles with Davidoff name in cursive writing) spray less, newer bottles (Davidoff name in block print), spray a bit more.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Dude... He's. 17 year old guy, it's the only perfume he has. You shouldn't have said that.......
    It's all in great fun! To each his own!

I bought a 40ml gift set of CW two years ago. It had Josh Holloway on the packet. As has already been said the recent version lacks the staying power of the old version.

But I used up the EDT last week so bought another gift set at the weekend - this time with Paul Walker on it. And this EDT is better - I swear! It lasts a bit longer and is stronger. Do you think it may have had another update?

Quote Originally Posted by cocaineexpress View Post
    I know that Cool Water isn't too excellent of a fragrance but it's all I have right now.
    It's a classic and widely influential composition. Personally I'm not very fond of it but it's a darned solid fragrance. Spray it on your chest, on your neck and make sure to spray some on your clothes as well. You will get much better projection and longevity. Welcome to Basenotes.
    Last edited by alfarom; 7th August 2012 at 05:32 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

What's your address, I'll send you my last 30ml of Silver Mountain Water. Send me by PM
    And Hedonist proceeds to deliver the knock-out punch!

BOO-YA

Can't believe I've been paying for decants all this time, when I could have just played the struggling student card :P
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Sound Scents

I know that Cool Water isn't too excellent of a fragrance but it's all I have right now. What other fragrances should I pick up, preferably for under 60 dollars? I'm a 17 year old guy.
    I personally would do a couple sprays to the upper chest and maybe one on the back side of the neck, but as others have said it really is whatever works for you as there is no set rule. Oh, and Cool Water is a fine fragrance... wear it with pride!
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I always wear 9 sprays of Cool Water and enjoy it half the day. The other half i cant smell it anymore but people continue complimenting me all the time, everytime.

There is no private line, no niche, no discontinued, vintage, reformulated, pure parfum, extrait, edp, edc, cologne, splash, decant, oil, oud, dab, rollon, nothing, i mean, NOTHING, that get more compliments on me than the damn Cool Fkng Water.
    And I dont even like it that much.

Wow. Such a class move. You're an asset to the community, hedonist!

Just only buy the Cool Water with 'Davidoff' written in signature font! (I know, it's very hard to get nowadays)
    All the bottles with the Davidoff written in Block font are re-reformulations and are indeed diluted and way weaker and worse/cheaper smelling!
    I own 165ml of the older stuff and it's very fresh, potent and spicy! Really love the old CW and dislike the new one; it's quite a difference which you do not notice that well during the opening, but do during heart and base stage of the frag as in sillage/longevity.
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Banned
    Blog Entries

I've been experimenting for the last couple of weeks, and am trying to find the perfect amount, and perfect points for application. I don't think the wrists actually work, and it seems like a bad place to apply since it would get washed off whenever you wash your hands. I know that Cool Water isn't too excellent of a fragrance but it's all I have right now. What other fragrances should I pick up, preferably for under 60 dollars? I'm a 17 year old guy.
    Isn't to excellent of a fragrance? It is a great fragrance, a masterpiece in my opinion! I know many of the people here wear niche, so they are quick to bash CW, but personally, I wear some niche/upper-designers and I still love this one. I like it better than most of the Guerlains, Cartiers, Hermes', Diors, Chanels out there.

This is probably my most worn fragrance.

Where to spray? Keep in mind that this one does project a lot, so I wouldn't spray pulse points such as wrists. Try one spray on the chest (under your shirt) and one spray on the back of the neck and no more than that. You're done and ready to go for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Isn't to excellent of a fragrance? It is a great fragrance, a masterpiece in my opinion! I know many of the people here wear niche, so they are quick to bash CW, but personally, I wear some niche/upper-designers and I still love this one. I like it better than most of the Guerlains, Cartiers, Hermes', Diors, Chanels out there.

This is probably my most worn fragrance.
    Are you talking about the latest (re-re)formulation of Cool Water?
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Banned
    Blog Entries

I heard of the dreaded reformulation. I haven't tried to the original in such a long time I forgot about it. But I still love the new Cool Water.

Welcome to Basenotes!
    Trial and error is all I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    You could say that again.

Basenotes Junkie

The wrists don't work for me either. For some reason the undersides of my arms just drink up all of the fragrance. I usually go for the inside of the elbow instead. For cool water, I'd do 1 on the chest, 1 on the neck, and 1 on each arm. If I'm going to be in close quarters with other people I will just do 1 on the chest and 1 on each side of the neck instead.

If you like CW, I'd suggest also checking out Azzaro Chrome.

Use as many sprays as you want and wherever you want. No rules at all.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Banned

Spray one to your chest, then spray on each side your neck just below your earlobes, then one on the back of your neck near your hairline (the nape) for sillage (your wake).
    You should be set!

&

4 sprays would be enough for me. CK In2U, CK One Shock, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin.

3-4 sprays is enough of this fragrance. That amount projects nicely and works best for Cool Water (and most scents). The best places are those which dollars&scents mentioned above. Especially from the pulse areas the fragrance projects nicely.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Dude... He's a 17 year old guy, it's the only perfume he has. You shouldn't have said that.......
    what's that supposed to mean? 17 year olds don't have a sense of humour? Not everyone will agree with a post (whoever it originated from). It's what a forum is for - debate!!!

In addition to the text you quoted I gave a paragraph of quite useful advice which I'm sure any new member would find useful. Did you even notice that?

3 sprays - two the neck and one to the chest is what I would suggest.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Definitely sides of neck, one on back of neck then hit each forearm. That will take you through the day.

chest neck one wrist rub it on the other wrist and take your finger get residue cologne off the bottle and wipe back of ears

I gotta agree the flack you got was unwarranted.

Little joking around never hurt anyone
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

If it makes the OP feel any better after that snarky comment made by another poster, most people can't tell the difference between a $50 bottle of Cool Water vs. a $250 bottle of GIT.

To the OP, Cool Water is a classic. I'd do 4 to 6 sprays if you're going to have a long day, otherwise 4 is suffice. Focus on your neck and chest area.

Respect. *Salute*

Quote Originally Posted by stoavio View Post
    If it makes the OP feel any better after that snarky comment made by another poster, most people can't tell the difference between a $50 bottle of Cool Water vs. a $250 bottle of GIT.
    You can add Chez Bond and Floris JF to the list that most people would confuse with Cool Water.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Use as many sprays as you want and wherever you want. No rules at all.
    Avoid the eyes and try to keep it out of your mouth... I won't make that mistake again...
    Seasonal favorites:

2. Creed - Aventus
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio

How many sprays?--- i would go with about 9 or 10 sprays

Where should I spray it?--- In the car,good car freshener!

Basenotes Junkie

everybody is a comedian. How clever and witty.

Welcome!
    I usually go 4-6 sprays on most of mine, 2 neck, 2 chest and 2 wrists. I do agree about spraying on wrists being useless once you wash your hands. If its a lighter fragrance I will do 2 behind the knees as well.

$60? I would say a trip to local TjMaxx or Marshalls or Ross could get you a couple of different bottles or you could spend that on a single bottle itself.

I have picked these up from my local TjMaxx at good prices:
    Azzarro Pour Homme (more of a mature frag, but then again I wore Brut and Old Spice in high school) $15
    Tommy Bahama Set Sails St. Barts (good summer scent, not strong so I go 6-10 sprays at times) $20
    Zirh Ikon (didn't find it that great, but good enough so as not to return it) $15
    Girogio For Men (classic mature scent) $10 for 50ml on clearance if I remember right
    Uomo? by Moschino (i find it a really smooth scent) $25, heard some had it on clearance for $15
    Dirty English, Michael Kors, Dunhill for Man (says just Dunhill on box) etc were among others I got from these stores.

Perhaps you should wait until you get the SMW decant from hedonist222 (class act!) then maybe you would want to get in on a split for it!

Thanks for saying this. Geez, the poor guy admitted he knew Cool Water wasn't well-liked on Basenotes, and even asked for some suggested alternatives. Even if his screen name is a bit . . . different.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Bam! Hell yea hedon!

To the OP- 4-5-6 sprays, Chest, neck, arms.

Also go to TJ Maxx and pick up a bottle of Nautica Voyage for $20 when you can. It has its detractors also, but it is a great, cheap fragrance.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Blog Entries

At 17 years old, and on a limited budget, many of the so-called "Sport" scents are good. Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Libre in the smaller size is good, Aqua di Geo is popular with younger guys. If you like the aquatic smell of cool water, you may want to try some Nautica fragrances may be good for you, they are $15-$30. Good luck, and don't worry, Cool Water is a good summer fragrance.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Also go to TJ Maxx and pick up a bottle of Nautica Voyage for $20 when you can. It has its detractors also, but it is a great, cheap fragrance.
    I agree - Nautica Voyage is one of the best deals there is. Smells great, lasts a long time, nice bottle, unreal price.
    Seasonal favorites:

2. Creed - Aventus
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio

I'm new to basenotes as well, but I'm not new to fragrance. Unfortunately I'm an older guy so I'm not sure how much help any advice I give you will be. That said, I do have something of a fetish for cheap-but-nice perfume. Much will depend on where you live. I find that in Australia the only way to get a good deal is online, but this is nice because I can buy scents like Caron which are incredibly rare here and get a niche effect for a very good price. Thus I save my money to stock up on vintage scents I really dig. Patou, Worth, Givenchy, etc.

It's summer on your side of the world, yes? You could try Yuzu Man by Caron. It doesn't have much praise on BN and I don't wear it myself but then I'm more than twice your age, and also we're still a few weeks off spring on this side of the world; it is well-blended, and a good scent so far as those light, summery things are concerned. Also I doubt anyone your age will be wearing it. It may be difficult to find though. Another nice scent for summer worth considering is Givenchy Into the Blue. It's one of the only aquatics I can handle, but my SO keeps stealing my vapo so I don't get to wear it much, but the 'travel size,' 50ml vapo could be handy for someone experimenting as you can take it with you and freshen up throughout the day. Mine was under $30

CK's IN2U might make for cost-effective summer scent, but I don't think it lasts long enough personally. I'd take Cool Water over it myself, but some have said it's one of CKs better masculine fragrances, and I've been known to spritz my bed sheets or open curtains with it.

Kenzo's Jungle Pour Homme could work as an exotic summer scent. It has a super-cool bottle too, but costs a little more than the others I have mentioned. If you're feeling adventurous maybe consider a split or smaller bottle of Citrico from CDG's Cologne series, or perhaps Vetyveru. I've seen the smaller bottles for reasonable prices, but the longevity could be an issue so this might not be a safe buy for someone pulling together his first few bottles. CDG have an arty rep, but the cologne series is probably their most wearable, and affordable.

If you ever get those ice-cold summer nights where you live, or you want something handy for when the seasons turn a 75ml vapo of Joop! Homme can be had for a tiny sum, and those 75ml's will last you for 75 lifetimes. This bright pink bottle is full of some loud, loud, loud juice, and I think it's fantastic although others disagree. It might be a little daring for someone your age, but if you're soft on the trigger and spritz yourself ten-fifteen minutes before heading out you could make a big splash - this one has been known to do strange things to women. Oh some people might look at you as if you're wearing a live octopus on your head, but for others this wonderfully inexpensive stuff is human catnip.

4711 - classic, bracing cologne. Very good price, splash it around and enjoy yourself.

Mandarina Duck Pure Black - a rare gem among modern scents. May be at the top-end of your price range, but this one seems to bring a lot of compliments and is quite versatile, plus the longevity is wonderful. The strong orange note in the opening turns some off, but I find it wonderful as to my nose it is very natural whereas most orange accords seem too synthetic. The bottle is cool too, reminds me of my funky old Xeryus vapos. Girls really seem to like it.

Worth Pour Homme - the modern iteration is a little watery and lacks projection and staying power, but if you carry an atomiser you can freshen up during the day. It is one of the most fabulous scents for the price. At $15 or thereabouts it is a very classy fragrance, and probably no less troublesome, longevity-wise, than the current cool water. Perhaps a little 'old,' for you, and maybe more suitable for cooler weather, but I think you need to know that it's out there, a classic for under $20 that puts a lot of fragrances three, four and five times the price to shame.

Lanvin Vetyver - can be had for under $20. Yes, it takes a lot of heat for butchering a classic (the original Vetyver was very different) but taken on its own it is a nice, inoffensive green scent. The modernization makes it more wearable for a younger man. Lanvin l'homme may also be worth checking out as an inexpensive compliment generator. Personally I could never own just one of these two simply because they look so nice sitting side-by-side in their lovely little blue-and-green bottles. There are other Lanvin masculines which are equally inexpensive, but you'll need to check the reviews yourself as they're outside my sphere of interest.

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene - I recently bought a fresh bottle for $12. A slightly dandy fragrance with a bitter fruity opening and a pleasant fade to sharp wood and moss. Dated yes, but then so am I. Probably not for a young man, but who knows?

Azzaro Pour Homme is another cheap classic I dig, but again it might be a little old for you. Explore some other Azzaro fragrances though (Azzaro Chrome, someone mentioned earlier?) I'm not familiar with them, but they‘re affordable.

Caron's gentlemanly Pour un Homme, gorgeous Le 3me Homme, edgy L'Anarchiste and beastly Yatagan are all worth sampling. It may be that these are too mature for you, but it has been said before in this thread there are no rules. I have always liked mature scents and wore Givenchy Gentleman in my youth, and this was the old GG which was an insane powerhouse. Yatagan at least will certainly get you noticed, it's a savage beast of a fragrance, but a classic all the same. Le 3me Homme is one of my all-time favourites, but some find it a little too floral and feminine, I do not think this is the case at all. Caron Pour un Homme is a time capsule, but a good one, a real sophisticated gentleman‘s scent and L'Anarchiste is something that will set you well apart from the crowd plus if you like nice bottles this one is a must. All can be had for under $35 and in very good sized vapos too.

Khiel's Original Musk - dated as all heck, but terribly fun. The oil seems a little pricey where I live, but one can buy it in a smaller roll-on form for a bargain.

Tabac Original - this one has a sore reputation, and can be (hilariously) inexpensive. I recently purchased a gigantic 300ml flacon for under $20. Like 4711 it’s great to have something pleasant you can splash around with abandon; as far as cheap colognes go I rate it above 4711 but then it is more of a fragrance, and not quite as bracing as a cologne perhaps should be. I say this as the eau du cologne is said to be the superior scent, and quite different to the eau du toilette. Shop around, test, and take care. I've come across EDT's which boasted a gorgeous leathery, tobacco accord while others claim this one is more floral so perhaps I was sampling some old shelf stock? The shaving soap is good stuff too; I shave with a Kamisori and it does the trick where others fail.

That's as much advice on individual scents as I'll give tonight. I hope some of it helps. Beyond that though if you want to start a fragrance collection and you can't afford to throw money around there are many ways to do so on a budget.

The internet is a good place to find cheap fragrances, but always keep postage in mind. In my experience it works best when buying bulk as this helps to limit the postage costs, but this may not be feasible for you. Still it is a good place on which to look for bargains. One of my local pharmacies has a good perfume selection and often runs 'in store only,' specials. Some of these are very, very good! I check the website every now and then to see what's shaking. There are also many online resources which allow you to compare the price from many different vendors for a single product, and this can be very helpful.

Get yourself a couple of atomisers. These can be had for quite cheap online, but if you can find one over the counter all the better as quality can be an issue. You can use a straw (dispose of after use, use a new one each time and make certain it is clean) or spring for a small hand siphon or an eyedropper (though it will need to be washed properly after use, I use ethanol but cheaper options exist) to decant your fragrances. This can save you a great deal, and is quite handy. You can decant from splash bottles (which are often cheaper) as they are difficult to use without waste. Further the solution to many a longevity problem is to apply a fragrance to fabric (though some may argue that this limits the experience: you must decide for yourself) and this is difficult with a splash bottle. A small atomiser can be carried in ones pocket and used to freshen up as well and this allows some cheap classics like Worth Pour Homme to come into their own. Plus if you ever buy a fragrance which has longevity issues due to your skin chemistry then it need not be pushed to the back of your shelf and forgotten.

Also if you grow to love a scent which exists only in an eau du cologne form (like something from CDG's cologne series, for example) a pocket-size atomiser may be the only way to carry the scent all day.

Moreover some pricey scents that you may wish to try in time, such as Eau Savage or my beloved Givenchy Gentleman (vintage) can be purchased in a much-diluted aftershave form for far less. Such a bottle can be a viable scent if you are able to reapply on the fly, and this might allow you to experience some more pricey fragrances on a budget. That said vintage GG aftershave lotion is stronger than many modern EDTs, which is a little tragic.

Splits and decants are a great way to save money. Online transactions might seem risky, but keep in mind that at least when it comes to splits it might be worth talking to friends. Of course there are those who (like me) think the bottle is half the fun, and if you feel that way don't cheat yourself. I know if I had bought something like Jungle Pour Homme or VC&A's Midnight in Paris as a decant, or split in a simple glass atomiser it would only irritate me. Still even if you feel this way there are some brands or series (like Annick Goutal) which, while containing fragrances of note are of little value to one who covets interesting bottles once you have one. If you go splits with a friend it might be worth making some sort of schedule though so you don't end up wearing the same fragrance at the same time.

I've been told that a light application of baby oil (in fact any lightly or unscented, natural base oil works) to the skin at each of the points you wish to apply fragrance to can enhance longevity. I've tried this, but my skin is very fussy so I've met with mixed results. I know people who swear by it though and have experienced it at work. A large bottle of baby oil will only set you back a dollar or two so there isn't much to loose. You can also use it as a perfectly serviceable pre-shave oil to soften hair and help with lubrication, but I would not recommend such extensive use as it is not especially good for your skin.

Old shelf stock can sometimes lead to amazing discoveries. Only recently I found pre 2000 bottles of Guerlain’s Vetiver and MDM and purchased them on sale for less than retail. Testers can be had for bargain prices too, especially if they have been used. Some testers have a superior atomiser to the normal retail bottle, which is a bonus. If the partly-used bottles aren’t for sale don’t be afraid to make an offer. This can work wonders at privately owned outlets. Furthermore samples, minis and so on should not be overlooked. Free 2ml samples can be had at many department stores, or purchased online for a few dollars including postage, while minis can really help when one has to make a difficult choice. Those ‘sample packs,’ which the likes of Dior and CK sell allow one to really get a feel for a few different fragrances for a very fair price.

Lastly bear in mind your needs, and do not fall into the trap of buying too much or too little. Many scents come in a wide range of sizes from tiny 2ml samples up to giant flacons. Sample. Test. Take your time. Really think about your purchases. Unless you’re collecting for the joy of it try to think how each particular fragrance will fit into your collection. Are you going to be dousing yourself in it daily, or wearing it only on special occasions? Will you need to carry an atomiser to top-up every few hours? Do you need to use a lot, or is this a powerhouse scent where a light spritz can last all day? Buy a decidedly cool weather scent in the height of summer, or vice-versa and it might sit on your shelf for four months before you get to use it, and next week you might stumble on a winter scent you can wear right now which you desperately want. Samples and minis are great to pick up when you're feeling impulsive and daring, less so full bottles.

I hope some of that advice helps. Also if a more experienced Basenotes member can give me some info on sending fragrances internationally (the few times I've tried there have been issues) I can send you a decant or two of the fragrances mentioned above if you‘d like to pick a couple, or - if you like - something a little more special such as some vintage GG or Worth Pour Homme (vintage blue bottle, or haute concentration) as I have some little atomisers handy which are 15 or 20ml.

Ditch cool water and get green Irish tweed, it's so much better
    Top 5 current fragrances:

1. Creed spice and wood
    2. Creed Jardin d'amalfi
    3. Creed pure white cologne
    4. Bond no 9 fire island
    5. Bond no 9 sag harbor
    * Also loving Montauk

Banned

@ Miket - A wonderful, first post; I look forward to many more.
    I thoroughly agree with you relative to vintage Givenchy Gentleman, Joop! Homme, and L'Anarchiste. And, the use of the straw is an ingenious idea.

&

Thanks Dollars&Scents. It's always nice to meet someone who appreciates that crazy pink juice, and GG is probably my no.1 fragrance of all time to wear. I love the vintage, but the reformulation is a real benchmark. If only Guerlain could have done as well with Jicky and MDM. L'Anarchiste is great although it doesn't suit my skin, but like I said the bottle is just too cool for me to pass it by. At any rate I've been lurking around BN for a while prior to joining, and I should say I found many of your posts and reviews that I've read to be spot on. Thanks for the welcome.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    I'd take Cool Water over Nautica Voyage any day. Almost blind bought Nautica Voyage after all of the praise on here and I was very glad I didn't after I sniffed it. For me, Cool Water is still king of the cheapies.

Cool Water is a pleasant and accessible fragrance. It is so popular that it even has a knockoff from Belcam called Blue Depths.

Not something I would spend on for a full bottle, but some people like it.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Lol give OP a break. When I was 17 I just drowned myself in Joop! Homme and made everybody want to pass out around me

I don't mind Cool Water at all. I sampled CW at Kohl's recently and my girlfriend caught a whiff of it said she liked it a lot and thought it smelled like "that stuff you own in the big black bottle" (Green Irish Tweed).

I would go 4-6 sprays. Depends on the social setting you're using it for though I suppose.

As for a good bargain buy, and has already been mentioned, Joop! Homme is a good "bang for your buck" fragrance. You can often find it at TJMaxx/Ross/Marshall's for 30-40$ for a 4.2oz bottle. Joop will last you a long time and I suspect that since you're wondering how to get decent projection from Cool Water that you like for your fragrance to project a lot and have nice sillage - and these factors will be undoubtably taken care of by Joop.

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    He's the MAN!!

- - - Updated - - -

CW is one of my favorite fragrances. I use 4 sprays, 2 to the side of my neck and 2 to my chest.